PDA

View Full Version : March Madness & Mid-Majors

sittingon50
02-17-2019, 04:24 PM
From a week ago, hope it's not a re-post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/this-march-madness-should-have-more-room-for-mid-majors-but-dont-bet-on-it/2019/02/09/f0925dc8-2bdb-11e9-984d-9b8fba003e81_story.html?utm_term=.74f46cb23271

Screwed up the title. Sorry.

(thanks to whomever fixed it)

Zagsker
02-17-2019, 04:55 PM
Thoughts on regional conf tourneys?
Basically top 4 seeds in each conference, broken up regionally play in a combined conf tourney broken up by region...gives hou a better eye test for mid majors on the bubble? Literally a Sunday evening beverage thought on my part so I fully realize that this probably has major holes in it

Maybe top 2 seeds from MM and P5 get 6

Or I am just "beveraging"

TexasZagFan
02-17-2019, 05:15 PM
I would suggest that P5 conference teams have a .500 record or better in conference to be eligible for the Dance. They have the benefit of the lion's share of the money from NCAA tournament and conference TV packages. Not the fault of mid-majors if P5 teams are mediocre or worse in their conferences.

ZagDad84
02-17-2019, 11:14 PM
I would suggest that P5 conference teams have a .500 record or better in conference to be eligible for the Dance. They have the benefit of the lion's share of the money from NCAA tournament and conference TV packages. Not the fault of mid-majors if P5 teams are mediocre or worse in their conferences.

I would take it further and demand a 0.500 overall record AND a 0.500 conference record. If you can't win half of your games in conference, you have spent the entire season proving you are not the best college team and thus there should be no place for you in the tournament.

Will never happen, but nice thought. Joe Lunardi also proposed this same item last year but the people in power (NCAA & P-6 conferences) have no interest.

ZagDad