PDA

View Full Version : Post game analysis Gonzaga vs San Diego

Reborn
02-16-2019, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure why my thread did not make it to the Board. It's was grrrreat. So I'm not going to write another one. I'm too tired. If someone wants to do a post game analysis go ahead. I will say that I enjoyed the game, and figured that it would be a tough game and it was. The great thing is we won and we won two road games this week which is great. I thought that if we would lose a conference game this year it would be the one we played tonight. I'm breathing much easier tonight.

The starters played great, making all of the Zag points but two by Crandall. Rui was just great tonight, and I really enjoy watching him play when he plays the way he did tonight. Norvell was also on fire, mostly driving to the basket and scoring on the inside. The Zags were a measly 3-14 from behind the 3 point line. I do not like that at all. However, they made up for it with outstanding shooting from inside the arc. Gonzaga shot 58%. They also shot 85% from the free throw line. Rui got 22, Norvell 18, Clark and Josh 15. Kispert got 8 and didn't play much for some reason in 2nd half, It was most likely his defense.

OK. That's it. Brief!!!

Go Zags!!!

ZagNation
02-17-2019, 12:15 AM
I'm not sure why my thread did not make it to the Board. It's was grrrreat. So I'm not going to write another one. I'm too tired. If someone wants to do a post game analysis go ahead. I will say that I enjoyed the game, and figured that it would be a tough game and it was. The great thing is we won and we won two road games this week which is great. I thought that if we would lose a conference game this year it would be the one we played tonight. I'm breathing much easier tonight.

The starters played great, making all of the Zag points but two by Crandall. Rui was just great tonight, and I really enjoy watching him play when he plays the way he did tonight. Norvell was also on fire, mostly driving to the basket and scoring on the inside. The Zags were a measly 3-14 from behind the 3 point line. I do not like that at all. However, they made up for it with outstanding shooting from inside the arc. Gonzaga shot 58%. They also shot 85% from the free throw line. Rui got 22, Norvell 18, Clark and Josh 15. Kispert got 8 and didn't play much for some reason in 2nd half, It was most likely his defense.

OK. That's it. Brief!!!

Go Zags!!!

Only 2 points from the bench tonight. YIKES!!!!!

WallaWallaZag
02-17-2019, 12:28 AM
defense was just okay...good in spurts. the refs didn't help the gameflow at all...either way. no wonder people think the wcc is soft. if these refs did the kentucky vs vols game both sides would be playing with walk-ons.

GrizZAG
02-17-2019, 04:16 AM
defense was just okay...good in spurts. the refs didn't help the gameflow at all...either way. no wonder people think the wcc is soft. if these refs did the kentucky vs vols game both sides would be playing with walk-ons.

This!
Reffing in WCC is awful. Same every year with same refs. Adjusting to real refs in the dance has got to be challenging. I submit that bad officiating hurts the viability of member teams ability to excell.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-17-2019, 04:57 AM
Great seeing Perkins looking to score; nice stat line:
15pt; 9 assists, 4 rbds, 2 steals 1 TO

Amazing how one injured player seems to have completely changed this team's identity from one w a deep bench to no bench. Hope coaches can keep Petrusev's confidence up while coaching him hard to improve on the defensive end and rebounding role; he missed a lot of bunnies last night that he usually makes.

I'm starting to lose confidence in Crandall....good for 5-7 minutes of solid D but he sure doesn't seem to do much on the offensive side for this team. Hope he can get some mojo going before the postseason cause if he could be counted on to knock down some 3's and create easy buckets for his teammates that would go a long way toward improving the bench play. For a former football player, Jones seems to get pushed around a lot...he needs to think of himself as a stud rebounder and defender and play like it.

Birddog
02-17-2019, 04:57 AM
While watching the game I thought USD probably outshot GU in the first half but they didn't; 1st) USD 40.7%/ GU 46.1%. In the 2nd GU dominated 2nd) USD 38.7%/ GU 68.9%
Hindsight being what it is probably it was all those crazy 3 balls USD made, as for the game they were 9 of 26 (34.6%) while GU was just 3 for 14(21.4%)

JPtheBeasta
02-17-2019, 05:50 AM
It looks like shutting down Olin Carter in the second half was a big factor.

As for the reffing, I thought it had been better but no so much of late.

At least this team rebounded the ball last night.

jazzdelmar
02-17-2019, 05:56 AM
My 1st game in person. Some thoughts: Perks was great, before the game he could not miss; Norvell stands out athletically, a cut above in terms of quickness, nastiness, swagger; Rui was loafing 1st half, then turned it on; Clarke was solid but again bothered by bigger stiffs. That's it. This team has 4 starters and 4 subs. Therein lay a problem, the Zags are one starter-quality player short of a F4, IMO. Few tried hard to get all the subs quality minutes and they all disappointed. Crandall is a 4th guard at best, comparing him w Jordan and Silas is laughable. Petrol played no D, none. Got turned around easily. Kispert hit early shots but then began giving them back; Jones was laxy. One player short, that could be Tils or one of the subs. We shall see....Zags were about 40% of the 5k.

TexasZagFan
02-17-2019, 06:08 AM
My 1st game in person. Some thoughts: Perks was great, before the game he could not miss; Norvell stands out athletically, a cut above in terms of quickness, nastiness, swagger; Rui was loafing 1st half, then turned it on; Clarke was solid but again bothered by bigger stiffs. That's it. This team has 4 starters and 4 subs. Therein lay a problem, the Zags are one starter-quality player short of a F4, IMO. Few tried hard to get all the subs quality minutes and they all disappointed. Crandall is a 4th guard at best, comparing him w Jordan and Silas is laughable. Petrol played no D, none. Got turned around easily. Kispert hit early shots but then began giving them back; Jones was laxy. One player short, that could be Tils or one of the subs. We shall see....Zags were about 40% of the 5k.

Good comments, jazz. Was that your first game in person, ever?

Agree on Jones...Jeremy was losing his man way too many times. The guard defense must improve if we're going to keep Brandon and Rui out of foul trouble.

jazzdelmar
02-17-2019, 06:15 AM
Good comments, jazz. Was that your first game in person, ever?

Agree on Jones...Jeremy was losing his man way too many times. The guard defense must improve if we're going to keep Brandon and Rui out of foul trouble.

Oh no.....first this year and in a couple years. Usually the USD gms are a bore but Sam has them playing well and cohesively. Zags fans are amazing; they just take over the Slim Gym. When I go, I always look first at the spot on the court where DD made the most exciting regular season shot I have ever seen. WCC title gm, vs a solid Pep team.

bballbeachbum
02-17-2019, 06:42 AM
Zags 18-21 from inside the arc 2nd half, more than made up for the poor 3 pt. shooting. 3-14 from deep is often a loss on the road but 50-16 paint points advantage overcame that.
Zags can still look pretty ragged when Josh is not out there.
BC put the clamps on Pineiro 1st half, but the refs did also tagging him with some nickle dimers for 3 first half fouls. From the slug fest vs.LMU where it as no blood/no foul to last night's whistle fest for breathing on guys. I give the Zags credit for adjusting.
Zag D was excellent at times, mediocre other times, the lineups and matchups really mattered.
depth a concern; Zags struggled first half when both Josh and BC rode pine with fouls.

RenoZag
02-17-2019, 07:00 AM
I thought there was a stretch in the 1st half where Norvell was electrifying, unstoppable, etc.

HenneZag
02-17-2019, 07:09 AM
It is very evident this time of year that our depth is sneaking up on us. We need Tillie back to make a deep run.

JPtheBeasta
02-17-2019, 07:18 AM

4 starters is a pretty succinct description. We really need one player to step up. This is an area where 2017 has this team beat— they had 6 starters.

jazzdelmar
02-17-2019, 07:26 AM
4 starters is a pretty succinct description. We really need one player to step up. This is an area where 2017 has this team beat— they had 6 starters.

Absolutely.....perfect comp.

jazzdelmar
02-17-2019, 07:28 AM
I thought there was a stretch in the 1st half where Norvell was electrifying, unstoppable, etc.

As I said elsewhere, first time I've seen him in person. He stands out, even among the other GU players, in terms of his athleticism, swagger, power, quickness, confidence, speed. If he was 6-6 he'd be a lottery and the best pro prospect on the team.

TexasZagFan
02-17-2019, 07:46 AM
As I said elsewhere, first time I've seen him in person. He stands out, even among the other GU players, in terms of his athleticism, swagger, power, quickness, confidence, speed. If he was 6-6 he'd be a lottery and the best pro prospect on the team.

For all of the talk about Ja Morant, Zach has the potential to break out next year if he returns. He'll be the #1 option on offense. Combine that with his skill and maturity, he'll put up huge numbers for the Zags.

Reborn
02-17-2019, 07:49 AM
For all of the talk about Ja Morant, Zach has the potential to break out next year if he returns. He'll be the #1 option on offense. Combine that with his skill and maturity, he'll put up huge numbers for the Zags.

I've had these same thoughts lately.

Go Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
02-17-2019, 07:54 AM

That w/the bumper crop of bigs and a 5 star PG sign-on, and then if just one of the 3 bigs comes back -- pref Clarke -- Zags are deep and preseason top 5. In terms of pure BB talent, Zach is far and away #1 on the roster.

RenoZag
02-17-2019, 07:55 AM
Jim Meehan's game story: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/feb/16/analysis-gonzaga-finds-gas-pedal-in-second-half-pu/

The first 20-plus minutes against the Toreros (16-11, 5-7 WCC) was a virtual replay, with the score knotted at 37 early in the second half. The momentum changed when Gonzaga registered three defensive stops in a row.

It took only 85 seconds for the Zags to hit four field goals and take a 45-37 lead. Roughly the same scenario unfolded minutes later, when Gonzaga bumped its lead to 67-52 with 8:30 remaining.

“The key was getting stops, so we could get out and run and we didn’t have to constantly grind it against their half-court defense,” said coach Mark Few, whose team improved to 25-2, 12-0 in conference. “If you’re taking the ball out of the net, you can’t run. When we get stops, this team runs as good as any we’ve had.”

TexasZagFan
02-17-2019, 07:58 AM
That w/the bumper crop of bigs and a 5 star PG sign-on, and then if just one of the 3 bigs comes back -- pref Clarke -- Zags are deep and preseason top 5. In terms of pure BB talent, Zach is far and away #1 on the roster.

Who's the 5 star point guard...a grad transfer?

zaguarxj
02-17-2019, 07:59 AM

Towards the end of the game, when the Zags needed to run some clock, Norvell dribbled out most of the clock and finished with a drive to the hoop. I was hoping they'd do it again next time down but the ball stayed in Perkins' hands and he drove and then threw the ball to a San Diego player. I love Josh but I'd rather see the ball in Norvell's hands in those late game situations.

RenoZag
02-17-2019, 08:02 AM
Vince Grippi's "TV Take" post-game feature focuses on Mr. Walton's 'call' of the game:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/feb/16/tv-take-bill-waltons-love-of-gonzaga-on-display-ag/

Walton is not a favorite of most Zag fans, or at least the ones who comment on this column. But he said something early in the game that just about every Gonzaga aficionado can get behind.

Pasch brought up the championship game from a couple of seasons ago, mentioned Zach Collins, and Walton almost lost it.

“One of the worst officiated games ever,” Walton said. “Zach Collins. The world owes him an apology.”

A little later, when Corey Kispert scored on a fast-break layup and was fouled, Walton took him to task for flexing and pointing to his muscle.

“This guy, Corey Kispert, is indispensable,” Walton said. “I’m not sure he needed to start posing, with the big gun show. … He doesn’t need to do that, please. This is Gonzaga.”

LTownZag
02-17-2019, 08:04 AM
While watching the game I thought USD probably outshot GU in the first half but they didn't; 1st) USD 40.7%/ GU 46.1%. In the 2nd GU dominated 2nd) USD 38.7%/ GU 68.9%
Hindsight being what it is probably it was all those crazy 3 balls USD made, as for the game they were 9 of 26 (34.6%) while GU was just 3 for 14(21.4%)

Zags shot 10/24 in the first half. That's 41.6%. We were 1-6 from 3, so our effective FG% was 43.75%

USD was 11/27 in the first half. That's 40.7%. They were 4-12 from 3, so Effective FG% was 48.15%

We were outshot in the first half. Also, the offensive rating for our 3 nonstarters who played 44 mins: 0,0,76

44Mins 0-6 shooting 2 TOs 2 Rebounds

Reborn
02-17-2019, 09:32 AM
I do not agree with all of the negativity shown toward Kispert, and Gonzaga. Saying that Gonzaga only has 4 "real starters" is a slap in the face to both Kispert and Mark Few. I checked the AP poll's top 15 teams to see how many of those teams had five players in double figures. There were only two: Tennessee and Kansas. Gonzaga, along with 2 other teams has four of their players scoring in double figures. Kispert is almost at 9 ppg. There has been constant criticism of Kispert all year. And I completely disagree with it. I would take him any day over Jones, as a starter. AND Kispert completely outplayed Jones last night. Jones looked listless and showed no intensity at all on defense, which is where he contributes. You couldn't say he outplayed Kispert on D last night because simply put, HE DID NOT. KIspert has the potential to be a very good 3 point shooter and appeared to be on last night. And he even hit a couple lay-ins. He had 8 points at halftime. I also believe Kispert is giving 100% every game, and I appreciate that.

If this year's team is to be as good as the 2017 team in the NCAA tournament, replacing Kispert is not the key. The key, imo, is Josh Perkins. He needs to begin to play like he did last night (9 assists and 15 points). I also think that Josh can score 15 points a game if he focuses in on it, and he did that last night. He was much more aggressive on offense than he has been, and that's what is needed, imo.

Go Zags!!!

zagzilla
02-17-2019, 09:34 AM
These past 2 games both have the kind of tempo we will see in the dance when the number of possessions fall.

We need to figure out how to keep the tempo up because our slow paced teams are not great for us.

How best to counter that? USD and LMU didn't look uncomfortable in their offense most of the time. More press and traps like we saw a few weeks ago but less lately?

ZZ

Zagceo
02-17-2019, 09:44 AM
The coaching staff obviously sees what some on this board have pointed out....Kispert and Petrusev lack defensive abilities therefore getting limited minutes in crunch time.

The criticism is validated by coaches that see players in practice every day imo

TexasZagFan
02-17-2019, 10:31 AM
These past 2 games both have the kind of tempo we will see in the dance when the number of possessions fall.

We need to figure out how to keep the tempo up because our slow paced teams are not great for us.

How best to counter that? USD and LMU didn't look uncomfortable in their offense most of the time. More press and traps like we saw a few weeks ago but less lately?

ZZ

Is it possible that the coaches are holding something back for the Dance, that they don’t want it on video?

FuManShoes
02-17-2019, 11:03 AM
This!
Reffing in WCC is awful. Same every year with same refs. Adjusting to real refs in the dance has got to be challenging. I submit that bad officiating hurts the viability of member teams ability to excell.

They must justify it in the grounds that WCC athletes by and large aren't big or strong enough to survive physical ball, and so they steer it toward being a finesse league. I'm not sure that does fans or players any good. News flash: basketball is a contact sport.

bballbeachbum
02-17-2019, 11:58 AM
The coaching staff obviously sees what some on this board have pointed out....Kispert and Petrusev lack defensive abilities therefore getting limited minutes in crunch time.

The criticism is validated by coaches that see players in practice every day imo

on this, needs to be clarified. CK has improved a lot his 1v1, still gets beat, but not the target he once was. BUT he's not the switching versatile defender JJ is, the aware off ball defender JJ is, but he's improved there too and not the train wreck he gets collared with either imo. I remember you asked me my opinion on this after the last USD game.
others get beat more often than CK, and he's not the terrible defender he's made out to be imo, BUT JJ is better at it and brings a better defender to the mix of an already explosive offensive team. He's an awesome fit and a guy you run zero action for ever, same with CK by the way, who is also a great fit. CK comes up with some timely tough plays on both ends of the floor, warts and all, in his minutes. Nothing wrong with a two headed monster at the position on a team that already has a 4 headed monster

but, the argument that one player is better at something than another doesn't mean that the other player sucks at it, which is what gets thrown around here and I disagree with that

Outraged
02-17-2019, 12:03 PM
We won, we learned, we still need to improve. I thought Perkins and Norvell adding new ways to score were the biggest positive changes. This one was just right for Perkins. He didn't force it. My only qualm with Perkin's is spending so much time arguing with the Ref's. It's alright to politic a little but he needs to cut it down a notch and focus on the next play and spend that time communicating to the team. We still look challenged on the defensive end when faced with taller and bigger front court players.

I was surprised that USD and LMU have a deeper bench to Play with and still keep relatively close. If we want to distribute fouls, maintain our defense, and keep our 3pt legs. We will need to find tactics and plays to productively include a couple more players off the bench.

The first half was defined by number of possessions. San Diego got to shoot more shots. When you have more bullets you have an advantage. This is where offensive rebounds and position makes the difference. The team that does it gets more bullets. We needed more bullets.

Inbound pass? Come on team I thought we were done with this crap.

Zagceo
02-17-2019, 12:12 PM
on this, needs to be clarified. CK has improved a lot his 1v1, still gets beat, but not the target he once was. BUT he's not the switching versatile defender JJ is, the aware off ball defender JJ is, but he's improved there too and not the train wreck he gets collared with either imo. I remember you asked me my opinion on this after the last USD game.
others get beat more often than CK, and he's not the terrible defender he's made out to be imo, BUT JJ is better at it and brings a better defender to the mix of an already explosive offensive team. He's an awesome fit and a guy you run zero action for ever, same with CK by the way, who is also a great fit. CK comes up with some timely tough plays on both ends of the floor, warts and all, in his minutes. Nothing wrong with a two headed monster at the position on a team that already has a 4 headed monster

but, the argument that one player is better at something than another doesn't mean that the other player sucks at it, which is what gets thrown around here and I disagree with that

very fair assessment ....last night JJ got more minutes in second half and his criticisms increased as a result.

I'm hard on Kispert I know....I really had high expectations and need to adjust those expectations accordingly.

Tillie is missed

RenoZag
02-17-2019, 12:18 PM
From the Slipper Still Fits :

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2019/2/17/18228018/10-observations-from-gonzagas-win-over-san-diego?fbclid=IwAR0bGJz8uI9SIZ2rsliJNegz4v-2JqdDLa6z7Ppj6EUcO1xbo-8CfzZUNLQ

The Zags didn’t look great on this road trip, but they’ve also spoiled us with how many blowouts they’ve dished out this season. Both LMU and USD gave Gonzaga (relatively) competitive games in Spokane, so it’s not surprising at all that the Zags had a tough go of things at their respective gyms. They still managed to pull off double digit victories in each game. If you really want to play the spin zone game, it was probably helpful to have some tests in February and play in tight games in the second half rather than enter the postseason with Gonzaga’s sense of vulnerability dulled thanks to two months of blowout victories.

More at the link above. . .

maynard g krebs
02-17-2019, 12:40 PM
Great post Reborn. Agree w/ comments on both Kispert and Josh. As Walton said last night, Josh needs to score for this team to be at its best.

As to the "4 starters" stuff, this team has the second or third best offensive ranking in the history of Kenpom. You don't do that with 4 starters. Think about how many guys have started for Few day 1 as freshmen. CK is one of a very small number; what, maybe half a dozen? CK does the little things that help everyone else in terms of moving the ball and being in the right spot on the floor to create spacing for others. Tony Bennett wanted Kispert. There's more than one coach of a top 5 team that thinks he can play.

MickMick
02-17-2019, 12:48 PM
Towards the end of the game, when the Zags needed to run some clock, Norvell dribbled out most of the clock and finished with a drive to the hoop. I was hoping they'd do it again next time down but the ball stayed in Perkins' hands and he drove and then threw the ball to a San Diego player. I love Josh but I'd rather see the ball in Norvell's hands in those late game situations.

I agree with Norvell but.....

Kispert and dribbling.

That will be the death knell of GU.

I'm cool with him bombing from long range. I'm cool with his defense. I'm good with his swing passes.

But the last thing I want to see is Kispert dribbling. Maybe if he had a little more body control and could draw a foul once in awhile. As it is, when I see him put it on the deck, I fully expect an offensive foul, or an unforced turnover, or a drive to "nowhere" picking up the ball and getting stuck in the trees, or a missed bunny, or some other "dribbling out of control" mistake.

zag67
02-17-2019, 04:00 PM
I think that the coaches recognize that their are types of players that Kispert has trouble with and that Jones then needs to step up. When we need 3 point shooters and rebounding then Kispert is there, but if it is a quick offensive player then Jones needs to step up. I also agree with some people earlier and feel that Norvell does handle the ball well during end of half/game situations.

BurgessEraZag
02-17-2019, 04:24 PM
Will 18-22 year olds "bring it" every night?

There is no doubt there is a consensus on this Board and even nationally that Zags are an elite team this year with several elite players. Otherwise why would GU be #3 while playing in WCC? But folks, especially those who complain about performances of some team members periodically, let's consider everything. It's because some BB fans have very short memories, despite their "kool aid" loyalties. Many if not most of the regular posters herein are astute BB minds or evaluators but I wonder if any or all of us "BRING IT" in our lives daily whether it be work, family, relationships, recreation and above all life. Hopefully most of us do it the majority of the time and are rewarded appropriately.

The hopes we had for Filip to be "the man" obviously don't seem to be working out. That's sad because in the next couple years he'll probably be much better. He's still 6-10 though.

Jeremy didn't have a particularly great game at USD but what about Duke and Illinois and a couple other times he saved our butts? He just didn't "bring it" last night. I think he will though.

Kispert does not appear to be in the same class with Rui, Snacks or Brendon but there have been times when he did "bring it" and he'll be a 4-year Zag and on senior night we will be missing him the next year.
He's a quality person. Fans want more though so, fortunately we have a Hall of Fall master at evaluating talent and "play" of his players in Mr. Few so trust he'll use Kispert to the Zags advantage.

Lately, Few's comments about Rui are particularly telling to me. We hear the phrase "Rui has a high ceiling" and he does but sometimes, despite his amazing ability he doesn't rise up to it. His problem, unlike lesser players, he can get away with not "totally bringing it" during part of the game and no one notices since he's so talented. Few and I think Lloyd are pushing him to use ALL his talent and like the second half last night he did (oh, he probably can go higher). One rebound he took in the paint last night I swear not even a 7-3 big would have taken that rebound from him. He's in a different class about "bringing it."
Few just wants him to rise up to his full capability and not lose the bar fight.

Some commentators have called Brendon a "freak" but he's a pretty athletic, great player who has outstanding ability. Like Rui we don't have much to worry about him.

How many posts have we seen in four years about Josh complaining about his play? He brought it last night and when he does things always work out well. I subscribe to the school which says he needs to facilitate the offense but also score to keep the defense honest. Jazz agrees. When he scores the rest of the offense clips even better than when he doesn't.

So what does all this mean. Yes we are short of depth without Tillie but if all our players "bring it" nightly despite their youth we could beat most teams at the dance. But by "bringing it" I don't mean halfway. Yes and if elephants had wings like Dumbo they could fly. Obviously Tillie would be the additional piece to the Natty puzzle if he's healthy. I hope he comes back but not to jeapordize his future athletic career.

I suspect that Gonzaga's players are human and will rise to the occasion when they meet elite teams in the dance because they know they will be required to "bring it" if they want to survive. Will they win it all, I don't know but it will sure be fun watching when they "bring it."

Anyone who watched the first half of the Tennessee Kentucky game know what I mean by "bringing it."

Vanzagger
02-17-2019, 04:29 PM
I like the toughness 1-18

TexasZagFan
02-17-2019, 04:30 PM
Great post, Burgess!

White lightning
02-17-2019, 04:48 PM
Great post, Burgess!Agree +100

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-17-2019, 04:58 PM
Will 18-22 year olds "bring it" every night?

There is no doubt there is a consensus on this Board and even nationally that Zags are an elite team this year with several elite players. Otherwise why would GU be #3 while playing in WCC? But folks, especially those who complain about performances of some team members periodically, let's consider everything. It's because some BB fans have very short memories, despite their "kool aid" loyalties. Many if not most of the regular posters herein are astute BB minds or evaluators but I wonder if any or all of us "BRING IT" in our lives daily whether it be work, family, relationships, recreation and above all life. Hopefully most of us do it the majority of the time and are rewarded appropriately.

The hopes we had for Filip to be "the man" obviously don't seem to be working out. That's sad because in the next couple years he'll probably be much better. He's still 6-10 though.

Jeremy didn't have a particularly great game at USD but what about Duke and Illinois and a couple other times he saved our butts? He just didn't "bring it" last night. I think he will though.

Kispert does not appear to be in the same class with Rui, Snacks or Brendon but there have been times when he did "bring it" and he'll be a 4-year Zag and on senior night we will be missing him the next year.
He's a quality person. Fans want more though so, fortunately we have a Hall of Fall master at evaluating talent and "play" of his players in Mr. Few so trust he'll use Kispert to the Zags advantage.

Lately, Few's comments about Rui are particularly telling to me. We hear the phrase "Rui has a high ceiling" and he does but sometimes, despite his amazing ability he doesn't rise up to it. His problem, unlike lesser players, he can get away with not "totally bringing it" during part of the game and no one notices since he's so talented. Few and I think Lloyd are pushing him to use ALL his talent and like the second half last night he did (oh, he probably can go higher). One rebound he took in the paint last night I swear not even a 7-3 big would have taken that rebound from him. He's in a different class about "bringing it."
Few just wants him to rise up to his full capability and not lose the bar fight.

Some commentators have called Brendon a "freak" but he's a pretty athletic, great player who has outstanding ability. Like Rui we don't have much to worry about him.

How many posts have we seen in four years about Josh complaining about his play? He brought it last night and when he does things always work out well. I subscribe to the school which says he needs to facilitate the offense but also score to keep the defense honest. Jazz agrees. When he scores the rest of the offense clips even better than when he doesn't.

So what does all this mean. Yes we are short of depth without Tillie but if all our players "bring it" nightly despite their youth we could beat most teams at the dance. But by "bringing it" I don't mean halfway. Yes and if elephants had wings like Dumbo they could fly. Obviously Tillie would be the additional piece to the Natty puzzle if he's healthy. I hope he comes back but not to jeapordize his future athletic career.

I suspect that Gonzaga's players are human and will rise to the occasion when they meet elite teams in the dance because they know they will be required to "bring it" if they want to survive. Will they win it all, I don't know but it will sure be fun watching when they "bring it."

Anyone who watched the first half of the Tennessee Kentucky game know what I mean by "bringing it."

Thank you for this post. Outstanding. I must admit that I do not in fact “bring it” 100% to every aspect of my life on a daily basis, and I very much appreciate you pointing out how ludicrous it is to expect 18-22 year olds to do so. I’m 48 years and have never had to be interviewed at 5:05 PM and asked questions about my performance on a given workday either.

These players handle a LOT of pressure, expectations and challenges. I for one will try harder to keep that in mind before publicly commenting on their performance.

GeorgiaZagFan
02-17-2019, 05:17 PM

could NOT disagree more...Zach does not possess the best dribbling skills and does not make the best decisions at times....I believe his "handles" is the reason he should return and not even think about going pro, especially dribbling to his right...

katman50
02-17-2019, 06:25 PM
could NOT disagree more...Zach does not possess the best dribbling skills and does not make the best decisions at times....I believe his "handles" is the reason he should return and not even think about going pro, especially dribbling to his right...

Respectfully disagree. But would love to see him return next year.

JPtheBeasta
02-17-2019, 08:31 PM
The Zags left a lot of points off the board in the first half. This game could have easily been a 20 point blowout. Not to single anyone out, but Jones missed a dunk, Perkins missed two free throws, and Petrusev missed 3 tries in the post that he typically makes. A missed Crandall runner, Rui elbow jumper and Perkins 3-pointer that rattled off the rim further led to the Zags having 22 points around the 9:00 mark in the fist half and finishing with just 30.

Meanwhile, Olin Carter banked in a 3 and USD got the benefit of some fouls both ends of the floor in the first half.

The Zags got some calls to go their way after the break and shot 70% for much of the 2nd half. The steal by Perkins and the pass to Norvell was a thing of beauty; Norvell caught the ball with a full head of steam close to the 3-point line and didn't need a dribble to get the lay-in. The lack of bench scoring is concerning, but bench scoring on the road is always a premium and not a given. The other side of the coin is that the starters were incredibly efficient in the second half and the bench wasn't really needed. I really want Kispert to put it together on both sides of the floor, and to his credit he seems to be rotating better on defense. I think he is gifted offensively and would score quite a bit more if the Zags needed him to-- but they really need him on the other end.

Per the ESPN game story, Coach Few said that USD is one of their toughest challenges to guard in league, which is saying something. I though the Zags did well on the defensive end, in general, and were just a several bad bounces around the rim from this being another aesthetically pleasing road win. USD should be given a lot of credit for giving the Zags a challenge.

Birddog
02-18-2019, 05:08 AM

You said it better than I would have but pretty much how I saw it too. I guess that's why I think this is one of your best posts in a while. USD did get some friendly rim bounces though.

RenoZag
02-18-2019, 07:03 AM
Jim Meehan's Recap of the LMU & USD games:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/feb/17/gonzaga-rewind-passing-grades-for-zags-on-two-game/

From the linked article:

It wasn’t the best week for Gonzaga’s bench. Reserves Geno Crandall, Filip Petrusev and Jeremy Jones were scoreless against San Diego until two Crandall free throws with 52 seconds remaining. The trio combined to play 44 minutes. Gonzaga reserves were outscored by LMU’s bench, 13-10.

Jones contributed a pair of rebounds and two steals against the Toreros. His ability to switch and guard multiple positions makes him a valuable defender. Crandall had two assists and two turnovers. Petrusev had a couple of nice post moves, but missed his three shot attempts. He gave up a few buckets at the defensive end, which prompted coach Mark Few to quickly sub in Hachimura for Petrusev.

Hachimura, Norvell and Josh Perkins didn’t leave the court in the second half. The trio combined for 41 of GU’s 49 points.

“I asked (Hachimura) and looked at him and he was all right,” Few said. “We’ve been giving him a blow each half, but Filip struggled when he was in there so we couldn’t really go in that direction.”

TexasZagFan
02-18-2019, 07:16 AM
Jim Meehan's Recap of the LMU & USD games:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/feb/17/gonzaga-rewind-passing-grades-for-zags-on-two-game/

From the linked article:

Barring foul trouble, I expect 4 starters to play 35 minutes a game in the post season: Josh, Rui, Brandon, and Zach.

TV timeouts are longer, it's like a mini-halftime every four minutes.

Section 116
02-18-2019, 02:11 PM
I saw this quote today in yesterday's edition of the San Diego Union-Bulletin. High praise for Perk from USD coach Sam School:

Scholl went out of his way to compliment Gonzaga point guard Josh Perkins, who scored 15 points and had nine assists against one turnover.
“I told him to go on a deep run (in the NCAA Tournament),” said Scholl. “He’s one of the best point guards to ever play in a Gonzaga uniform.”

Link: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-usdhoop-gonzaga-0217-story.html?int=lat_digitaladshouse_bx-modal_acquisition-subscriber_ngux_display-ad-interstitial_bx-bonus-story_______

kdaleb
02-18-2019, 09:47 PM
Barring foul trouble, I expect 4 starters to play 35 minutes a game in the post season: Josh, Rui, Brandon, and Zach.

TV timeouts are longer, it's like a mini-halftime every four minutes.

I don't disagree in principle... but I think it will be situational too... Geno's defense on a point guard, Jeremy's defense on the wing, Corey's ability to spread the floor and sink shots... I can see any of them getting more minutes in any one game.

Add to that, barring foul trouble or a blowout, I expect Josh to be on the floor nearly 100% of the time. He has really stepped up to the next level this year.