PDA

View Full Version : 2020 - Daishen Nix

SLOZag
02-14-2019, 10:31 AM
Playmaker

"[Daishen]Nix may be the best passer in the 2020 class. He has good size, ball skills and quickness, but where Nix really makes his mark is with his high level vision and creativity as a passer. While Nix is a formidable scorer, improving shooter and intriguing defender to his instincts, it’s his passing ability that the five-star prospect really hangs his hat on.

Recruiting: Nix’ recruitment includes Kansas, Gonzaga, Marquette, Maryland and TCU."

https://247sports.com/Article/College-basketball-2020-rankings-best-player-129086930/

thespywhozaggedme
02-14-2019, 11:05 AM
Is he plan B if Suggs goes elsewhere?

caldwellzag
02-14-2019, 11:16 AM
Nix's is an interesting prospect, as we are recruiting him, but for whatever reason his recruiting has not taken off. He is a playmaker and rising up the charts like crazy, but I think the recruitment has not taken off yet, as our top two priorities at this point are Suggs and Strawther. Plus D. Harris plays a similar position as Nix's as he is a combo guard. A name to watch for sure, but not to the level of Suggs and Strawther.

Zagceo
04-02-2019, 01:15 PM
so it says Zags offered Oct 7,2018.....true?

https://247sports.com/Player/Daishen-Nix-46050728/

caldwellzag
04-02-2019, 01:34 PM
so it says Zags offered Oct 7,2018.....true?

Fact

caldwellzag
04-29-2019, 09:48 AM
I heard there is a chance he reclassifies to 2019. He has been super tight lipped on his recruitment, but I do know we have been on him and he could be the answer at point guard next year. Just keep an eye out the next few weeks on Nix and his recruitment to GU.

zagssuperfan
04-29-2019, 10:47 AM
I heard there is a chance he reclassifies to 2019. He has been super tight lipped on his recruitment, but I do know we have been on him and he could be the answer at point guard next year. Just keep an eye out the next few weeks on Nix and his recruitment to GU.

How will that go with Harris if they go with Nix to reclassify but not him?

zagsfanforlife
04-29-2019, 10:51 AM
I imagine it is an either/or situation with Suggs/Nix?

Mr Vulture
04-29-2019, 10:55 AM

Is this speculation on your part or do you have some extra knowledge? :pray:

JPtheBeasta
04-29-2019, 11:18 AM

I've eagerly anticipated the staff pulling a PG-playing rabbit out of a hat for 2019 and this would be amazing.

willandi
04-29-2019, 12:15 PM
I've eagerly anticipated the staff pulling a PG-playing rabbit out of a hat for 2019 and this would be amazing.

Especially if they can get another almost as good as Ravet!

cggonzaga
04-29-2019, 12:36 PM
I imagine it is an either/or situation with Suggs/Nix?

I don’t imagine that. If Suggs is the competitor I think he is, this shouldn’t be an issue imo.

Whoever asked about Harris reclassifying, his Twitter certainly more than suggests he’s not doing that.

zagsfanforlife
04-29-2019, 01:57 PM
I don’t imagine that. If Suggs is the competitor I think he is, this shouldn’t be an issue imo.

Whoever asked about Harris reclassifying, his Twitter certainly more than suggests he’s not doing that.

As much of a competitor as he might be, you don't often see a kid who is top 3 at his position go somewhere where he is going to have an uphill climb at a starting position day 1. Why? Because he doesnt have to and because many blue bloods would offer him the starting spot day 1. If Nix is already here in 2019, the best chance he would get is either a) nix going early to the pros or b) he would be the offguard starting day 1...

JPtheBeasta
04-29-2019, 02:29 PM
Especially if they can get another almost as good as Ravet!

I sincerely appreciate your optimism about Ravet.

harryzag
04-29-2019, 03:34 PM

Great news! Do you think we get him on campus soon?

jazzdelmar
04-29-2019, 03:48 PM
Help me out here. Nix is higher rated than Suggs? 99 to 91. What’s to worry about?

HenneZag
04-29-2019, 04:18 PM
Help me out here. Nix is higher rated than Suggs? 99 to 91. What’s to worry about?

I see no issues at all. Would be happy with either!

bdmiller7
04-29-2019, 04:48 PM

Which ranking is Nix higher in? ESPN, 247, and Rivals all have Suggs ahead of Nix, though not by much. I'm for Nix reclassifying, playing this year, going one and done, bring in Suggs in 2020, best of both worlds.

jazzdelmar
04-29-2019, 05:02 PM
Which ranking is Nix higher in? ESPN, 247, and Rivals all have Suggs ahead of Nix, though not by much. I'm for Nix reclassifying, playing this year, going one and done, bring in Suggs in 2020, best of both worlds.

247 99 to 91.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Daishen-Nix-at-Trinity-International-Schools-210376/CurrentExpertPredictions/

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Suggs-45572569/

phxfireflames
04-29-2019, 05:17 PM
247 99 to 91.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Daishen-Nix-at-Trinity-International-Schools-210376/CurrentExpertPredictions/

You are referencing Jalen Suggs FOOTBALL recruiting page.
FOOTBALL: He is a 4-star QB recruit 288 in the nation. https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Suggs-45572569/
BASKETBALL: He is a 5-star CG recruit 10 in the nation. https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Suggs-45572569/high-school-181332/?Sport=2

jazzdelmar
04-29-2019, 05:37 PM
247 99 to 91.

You are referencing Jalen Suggs FOOTBALL recruiting page.
FOOTBALL: He is a 4-star QB recruit 288 in the nation. https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Suggs-45572569/
BASKETBALL: He is a 5-star CG recruit 10 in the nation. https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Suggs-45572569/high-school-181332/?Sport=2

Oops. Thanks

hooter73
04-29-2019, 06:51 PM
Suggs needs to figure out what he’s doing. Zags want him BAD but they also aren’t going to wait.

bdmiller7
04-29-2019, 06:59 PM
Suggs needs to figure out what he’s doing. Zags want him BAD but they also aren’t going to wait.

So far in the ESPN 100 rankings for 2020 12 players have verbally committed. It's still really early, GU is in no hurry.

willandi
04-29-2019, 07:32 PM
I sincerely appreciate your optimism about Ravet.

It is what GoZags says is the coaching staffs opinion. I have no reason to doubt them.

cggonzaga
04-29-2019, 08:47 PM
As much of a competitor as he might be, you don't often see a kid who is top 3 at his position go somewhere where he is going to have an uphill climb at a starting position day 1. Why? Because he doesnt have to and because many blue bloods would offer him the starting spot day 1. If Nix is already here in 2019, the best chance he would get is either a) nix going early to the pros or b) he would be the offguard starting day 1...

I just disagree. There are still many blue blood freshmen out there that don’t start day 1. Especially at point guard. Also, it’s all about competition. If he doesn’t think he could beat Nix out, then quite frankly he can go somewhere else. Taking the road most traveled isn’t for everyone and I would hope Suggs felt the same way.

JPtheBeasta
04-29-2019, 09:44 PM
Suggs, as a score-first guy (per recruiting sites), may be competing against Dom Harris for the SG role (or PG 1B, if you prefer, a la Perkins) if Nix comes aboard.

WallaWallaZag
04-30-2019, 12:26 AM
I just disagree. There are still many blue blood freshmen out there that don’t start day 1. Especially at point guard. Also, it’s all about competition. If he doesn’t think he could beat Nix out, then quite frankly he can go somewhere else. Taking the road most traveled isn’t for everyone and I would hope Suggs felt the same way.

this actually isn't true...opposite in fact (more highly ranked bigs start off careers as backups as many are still quite raw, not so with the guards)...elite pg's these days rarely go into situations where they might be a backup...it would be an exception to the norm as they are basically guaranteed starters even at the blue bloods. it might be possible to convince two guys to play together, but not likely unless they have a previously established relationship.

as an aside, if nix reclassifies and becomes a zag, he would be the highest rated recruit ever (though not first consensus 5 star...espn has him as the top 4 star and number 25 overall in 2020).

if nix does come next year, suggs most likely goes elsewhere or if he really absolutely loves gonzaga, waits to see if nix either struggles some in the coming year / or declares for the draft before making a decision...and yes, the current "plan b" at gonzaga is a potential one and done...chew on that.

ZagsObserver
04-30-2019, 06:48 AM
this actually isn't true...opposite in fact (more highly ranked bigs start off careers as backups as many are still quite raw, not so with the guards)...elite pg's these days rarely go into situations where they might be a backup...it would be an exception to the norm as they are basically guaranteed starters even at the blue bloods. it might be possible to convince two guys to play together, but not likely unless they have a previously established relationship.

as an aside, if nix reclassifies and becomes a zag, he would be the highest rated recruit ever (though not first consensus 5 star...espn has him as the top 4 star and number 25 overall in 2020).

if nix does come next year, suggs most likely goes elsewhere or if he really absolutely loves gonzaga, waits to see if nix either struggles some in the coming year / or declares for the draft before making a decision...and yes, the current "plan b" at gonzaga is a potential one and done...chew on that.

If Nix reclassified and is a strong one-and-dome possibility, it would have no effect on Suggs. Even if he’s a 2-year player, Few likes to play a 2 pg lineup. Harris would back them up for a year before he becomes a starter, and Strawther would play at the three spot.

All that to say, there should be no effect on Suggs.

Ladyzag12
04-30-2019, 08:19 AM
I diagree. I think this means we lost out on the Suggs sweepstakes if it happens, but our consolation prize would be incredible. I thing Suggs is as good as gone after last weekend.

jazzdelmar
04-30-2019, 08:22 AM
I diagree. I think this means we lost out on the Suggs sweepstakes if it happens, but our consolation prize would be incredible. I thing Suggs is as good as gone after last weekend.

Yup....tea leaves say he's looking elsewhere.

zagsfanforlife
04-30-2019, 09:31 AM
Yup....tea leaves say he's looking elsewhere.

Explain? Just because the big boys are after him? Hes the #2 pg in the class.. he would have already known the big boys would be after him and so does GU. If they didnt think they had a chance, they wouldnt have tried. And FWIW, i follow suggs on social media... he is still liking posts about Gonzaga, Holmgrem is liking posts referencing the two together, and Suggs is screenshotting Strawther images that reference suggs coming to GU. In addition, Julian did a live video on IG and was asked about Suggs and he said he feels "fairly confident" he is coming to GU.

I am not saying it will happen and have no inside info... just based on his social media activity, i would not rule out the possibility at all.

ZagsObserver
04-30-2019, 09:51 AM
Explain? Just because the big boys are after him? Hes the #2 pg in the class.. he would have already known the big boys would be after him and so does GU. If they didnt think they had a chance, they wouldnt have tried. And FWIW, i follow suggs on social media... he is still liking posts about Gonzaga, Holmgrem is liking posts referencing the two together, and Suggs is screenshotting Strawther images that reference suggs coming to GU. In addition, Julian did a live video on IG and was asked about Suggs and he said he feels "fairly confident" he is coming to GU.

I am not saying it will happen and have no inside info... just based on his social media activity, i would not rule out the possibility at all.

Excellent post.

cggonzaga
04-30-2019, 10:51 AM

I’d like to see the numbers/facts that back this up? I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but I don’t think it’s as much as you think.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
04-30-2019, 11:28 AM

Correct. These are actual “tea leaves.”

And about 100x more telling than the random mood shifts of posters that have never logged into Twitter.

Zagceo
04-30-2019, 11:51 AM
Correct. These are actual “tea leaves.”

And about 100x more telling than the random mood shifts of posters that have never logged into Twitter.

very very true......but.....we are talking about high school kids and when blue bloods come sniffing its different. I'm thrilled to be at the table and have positive things said by recruits about Zags but when the decisions are made behind closed doors I won't be surprised if UK Dook UNC KU get the kid.....and I believe its because of WCC not Gonzaga Spokane or Coaches. its our achilles

jazzdelmar
04-30-2019, 12:05 PM
very very true......but.....we are talking about high school kids and when blue bloods come sniffing its different. I'm thrilled to be at the table and have positive things said by recruits about Zags but when the decisions are made behind closed doors I won't be surprised if UK Dook UNC KU get the kid.....and I believe its because of WCC not Gonzaga Spokane or Coaches. its our achilles

You’re killing their narrative, Cee..

hooter73
04-30-2019, 12:09 PM
Wiltjer in high school was all but in the bag until Kentucky made one phone call...

webspinnre
04-30-2019, 12:24 PM
Wiltjer in high school was all but in the bag until Kentucky made one phone call...

This is what I keep thinking back to.

strikenowhere
04-30-2019, 12:36 PM

This...isn't exactly true, is it? This was the conventional board wisdom but I could swear that some board elders, after Wiltjer came aboard, noted that Wiltjer was looking to head to Berkeley.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
04-30-2019, 12:46 PM

And then the Zags made their 21st straight tournament. And their 5th straight Final Four. And the National Championship game. Things have drastically changed since then.

We ARE the big dog. If players want recent deep March runs, GONZAGA is the play more than Kentucky, more than Duke.

Now if a kid wants to get paid, or have his family put in a mansion, than fine. The cheaters will always get those guys.

What do you think fans of “blue bloods” like UCLA and Indiana say when Gonzaga gets involved with a player they are after? “Crap, why would he come to our school when he could play for Mark Few and an annual championship contender?”

I don’t see Suggs breaking Dom and Julian’s hearts to play for some late coming blue blood with players that aren’t his friends and recruiters that he doesn’t trust.

bdmiller7
04-30-2019, 01:36 PM
And then the Zags made their 21st straight tournament. And their 5th straight Final Four. And the National Championship game. Things have drastically changed since then.

We ARE the big dog. If players want recent deep March runs, GONZAGA is the play more than Kentucky, more than Duke.

Now if a kid wants to get paid, or have his family put in a mansion, than fine. The cheaters will always get those guys.

What do you think fans of “blue bloods” like UCLA and Indiana say when Gonzaga gets involved with a player they are after? “Crap, why would he come to our school when he could play for Mark Few and an annual championship contender?”

I don’t see Suggs breaking Dom and Julian’s hearts to play for some late coming blue blood with players that aren’t his friends and recruiters that he doesn’t trust.

I must have missed 4 of those final fours.

Ladyzag12
04-30-2019, 03:11 PM

When they talk to him about the NBA and program tradition and all the links they have to shoe companies.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
04-30-2019, 04:08 PM
I must have missed 4 of those final fours.

Typo. Sweet sixteen. The longest running streak of its kind.

For LadyZags’ “When they talk to him about the NBA and program tradition and all the links they have to shoe companies,” who has more early entry draft players than Gonzaga? And don’t act like we haven’t had recent lottery picks who were/are rotation players in the NBA playoffs. And what better tradition than making the tournament every year they’ve been alive. Kids could care less about John Wooden. And lastly, Gonzaga has a freaking Nike deal. Want to talk about our ESPN deal, too?

Gonzaga is just as synonymous with college basketball as any other program in the country. And for the 2020 and 2021 kids, Mark Few is the most stable, guaranteed top flight coach out there. Some of these guys could get nailed for cheating, and Coach K is going to retire some day. Not to mention he’s a fantastic coach to learn from without getting physically and verbally tormented by a guy like Izzo, who seems to be the biggest “competition” for Suggs.

Ladyzag12
05-01-2019, 07:05 AM

Social media is not a top indicator for me. This morning he said he wanted to be a package deal with rj Hampton and Jalen Green which definitely would not happen.

bartruff1
05-01-2019, 07:38 AM
My family has promised to shoot me if I ever sign on to Twitter....

willandi
05-01-2019, 07:45 AM

As I interpret it, on twitter one can tweet and those that do are twits, so...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1FfrnOXGHg

caldwellzag
05-01-2019, 08:20 AM
Is this speculation on your part or do you have some extra knowledge? :pray:

I have heard the rumblings from those I know.

WallaWallaZag
05-01-2019, 08:41 AM
I have heard the rumblings from those I know.

well rj hampton just reclassified and removed duke from his list as tre jones came back for another year. if nix reclassifies it would seem to only increase interest from the zag side considering the need.

bartruff1
05-01-2019, 08:51 AM
If it is on the internet.....you don't know who actually tweeted it....you don't know what their motives might be....you don't know how credible the poster is.....even assuming it is a legitimate post, you don't know how thoughtful it is or impulsive or mistaken it might me....

It could be the President, or the Russians or some 400 pound guy on a couch in his mothers basement...not prudent..... :confused:

Zagceo
05-01-2019, 09:03 AM

its similar to any network news broadcasts imo.....trust but verify.

I don't believe anything my neighbor tells me without verifying. pick and choose your news sources carefully )

CDC84
05-01-2019, 12:25 PM

That was before Gonzaga made the national title game and damn near won it all. They are one of only 3 programs (the 2 other blue bloods) to make the sweet 16 or better 5 straight seasons in the expanded bracket era. They have a top 5 recruiting class coming in next year.

Things have changed.

I think the program has elevated its stock significantly since the Wiltjer days. Are they a blue blood? No. But they have so much more to sell. Not to mention the Volkar Center.

jazzdelmar
05-01-2019, 01:00 PM
Metaphorical Elba?

During my temporary exile to literary Elba, I watched a ton of film on Nix and being as objective as possible, I think he’s phenomenal and almost as good as Suggs, like minimal difference between the two. Plus he’s built like a MAC truck. Plus he’s from Anchorage, Alaska. If we can get Nix for 2019, that would be a home run.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rp67tuxYxe4

willandi
05-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Of course. Look closer, I said literary, not literally. You’ve known me long enough to know that I am a word nerd and know the difference between literally and metaphorically. I would not make such an egregious faux pas. Now, your and you’re; all bets are off.

And here I am thinking of yore.

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-01-2019, 01:48 PM
During my temporary exile to literary Elba, I watched a ton of film on Nix and being as objective as possible, I think he’s phenomenal and almost as good as Suggs, like minimal difference between the two. Plus he’s built like a MAC truck. Plus he’s from Anchorage, Alaska. If we can get Nix for 2019, that would be a home run.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rp67tuxYxe4

What I love about this vid is his exceptional passing and that he enjoys setting up his teammates. What gives me pause is another guard who apparently cannot (perhaps just does not in these clips) finish above the rim. Not so easy to make layups vs D1 defenders...and as much as I’ll miss Perkins, I won’t miss that facet of his game.

jazzdelmar
05-01-2019, 01:48 PM
Of course. Look closer, I said literary, not literally. You’ve known me long enough to know that I am a word nerd and know the difference between literally and metaphorically. I would not make such an egregious faux pas. Now, your and you’re; all bets are off.

OK, but I still think metaphorical Elba is correct; literary Elba would refer to banishment found in some work of art, not this bedraggled board.

Worthington
05-01-2019, 02:34 PM
Nix would be an amazing addition to the 2019 class. Would definitely feel quite comfortable with him starting from day one.

Has there been any evidence of this possibility online though? I haven't seen us linked to him in quite some time and I don't think the coaching staff has been spotted at any of his games recently...

webspinnre
05-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Nix would be an amazing addition to the 2019 class. Would definitely feel quite comfortable with him starting from day one.

Has there been any evidence of this possibility online though? I haven't seen us linked to him in quite some time and I don't think the coaching staff has been spotted at any of his games recently...

Caldwell's been pretty reliable as far as his sources, so it sounds like it might be on the table at least.

jazzdelmar
05-01-2019, 04:16 PM
What I meant was my one month suspension from these boards was my literary Elba. But you could be correct, I may have wrongly used that analogy.

This ain’t literature. Everything else is cool. Welcome back.

JPtheBeasta
05-01-2019, 04:57 PM
What I meant was my one month suspension from these boards was my literary Elba. But you could be correct, I may have wrongly used that analogy.

Literary Elba= Exiled and cannot write/post things. I think it works, although they probably have computers and the internet on Elba now. I’ll email Abraham Lincoln.

Bogozags
05-01-2019, 06:09 PM
If it is on the internet.....you don't know who actually tweeted it....you don't know what their motives might be....you don't know how credible the poster is.....even assuming it is a legitimate post, you don't know how thoughtful it is or impulsive or mistaken it might me....

It could be the President, or the Russians or some 400 pound guy on a couch in his mothers basement...not prudent..... :confused:

:roll:

Hooray4Daye&Gray
05-01-2019, 10:04 PM
His court vision and passing are incredible. You can hear the "oohs" and "aahs" from the crowd. lol

Yeah, Jalen Suggs is definitely on another plane than Nix. Suggs is dat dude. The guy that can lead us to our first natty and be the most legendary Zag of all time.

I would rather have Gilder and Jenkins this year if Suggs preferred to have a clear picture of who he'd run with in 2020. Suggs + Harris + Strawther alongside the bigs we'll still have = the greatest of times.

former1dog
05-02-2019, 06:46 AM
It seems that Nix is VERY fundamentally sound and has excellent court vision.

I have no doubt about his athleticism, so not worried that he isn't "highlight dunking" in these videos. Probably the least selfish mix tape I have watched, featuring pass after pass after pass. Most of those passes are the non flashy variety, but do require great vision.

Nothing not to like about this kid. Does he have Native American ancestry? I would think that was cool, as a Rez kid!

JPtheBeasta
05-02-2019, 07:08 AM
It seems that the outcome of the Nix/Suggs comparison depends on what one needs in their PG. Nix is described as a very good passer and Suggs is described as a score-first guy who can distribute. I'd take either one, and the two could theoretically play together if they wanted to defer to each other a bit.

caldwellzag
05-02-2019, 07:13 AM
It seems that the outcome of the Nix/Suggs comparison depends on what one needs in their PG. Nix is described as a very good passer and Suggs is described as a score-first guy who can distribute. I'd take either one, and the two could theoretically play together if they wanted to defer to each other a bit.

This is spot on!

zagsfanforlife
05-02-2019, 07:32 AM
Plus, they're separate years if Nix is reclassifying. Suggs looks like a super star, Nix looks like a very, very good player, but if you could get Nix, but run the risk of losing Suggs, do you do it? That's the million dollar question.

No. Because a 5th year Gilder is just as good as a freshman Nix. Gilder keeps suggs seats warm for a year and then Jalen steps in day one and runs the point. If we got Gilder and Jenkins, I think you are shortchanging the team by miles if you think the squad of

Gilder/Ravet
Jenkins/Kispert
Kispert/Watson/Arlauskas
Timme/Watson
Petrusev/Timme/Ballo

is just a round 32 team.

That is an elite 8 team in my opinion.

ZagBlue
05-02-2019, 07:35 AM
Plus, they're separate years if Nix is reclassifying. Suggs looks like a super star, Nix looks like a very, very good player, but if you could get Nix, but run the risk of losing Suggs, do you do it? That's the million dollar question.

New to the board but long time reader. My simple answer to the above is "YES!" Take Nix in a heartbeat if he wants to come. You take the first of either of these two that wants to commit and be part of this. Everyone, keep in mind the following: Unless NBA rules change, I believe Nix cannot enter the NBA draft until 2021 because that is the year he will turn 19yrs old. So, if Nix reclassifies into 2019, I believe that means we would have him for a minimum of 2 years which means we would a more experienced Nix on that loaded 2020-2021 team. This fact, if accurate, makes Nix a no-brainer for 2019 if he is willing.

former1dog
05-02-2019, 07:36 AM

I'm not sure why most miss the obvious on this one. How many times has Mark Few had TWO point guards STARTING on his teams? Hall and Santangelo, Dickau and Stepp, Pargo and Raivio, Pargo and Bouldin, Goss and Perkins.... I'm probably missing a few combo's.

hooter73
05-02-2019, 08:29 AM
I'm not sure why most miss the obvious on this one. How many times has Mark Few had TWO point guards STARTING on his teams? Hall and Santangelo, Dickau and Stepp, Pargo and Raivio, Pargo and Bouldin, Goss and Perkins.... I'm probably missing a few combo's.

Pangos Stockton...

I think Nix, or anyone else committing would make Suggs pause for a moment, but thats life. Get em all!!!

Gonzagit
05-02-2019, 09:05 AM
I agree 100%. My point was does getting Nix make Suggs think twice, especially once the Duke offer comes, and it will.

Do you think if Duke land Suggs they are going to stop recruiting 5* guards. If he goes to one of the schools that is recruiting him, he's going to have to tear it up to stay on the court. What if Joes and Boogie Ellis are never NBA guards? They could be there 4 years. This is big time college basketball.. no one is going to stop recruiting great players just because they land one. He's not going to be guaranteed playing time wherever he goes, going to have to earn it no matter the program or who else is on the team.

Zagceo
05-02-2019, 09:20 AM
My perfect world...2 Damian Lillard's and 2 CJ McCollum's....platoon em run run run shoot shoot shoot no fatigue factor ....imagine )

Think of practices

webspinnre
05-02-2019, 09:44 AM
And your starting shooting guard is 6’1” tall.

Swap Gilder and Jenkins and now your height "issue" is solved.

zagsfanforlife
05-02-2019, 09:47 AM
I’m sorry, but that’s insane. Your starting backcourt doesn’t even average five assists per game combined. And your starting shooting guard is 6’1” tall. You’re starting small forward averaged eight points per game, you’re starting center averaged five points per game and your power forward is a true freshman, granted all of their numbers should go up with more minutes, but I just don’t think the team as you have constructed is very talented. If you think that’s an elite 8 team, I don’t know what to tell you. I don’t even think that team is a lock for the tourney, which is my whole point for going with the youth movement. If it’s going to be a rebuilding year anyway, why not let the young players play and gain experience? Having grad transfers only blocks their development for a team that will be lucky to make it out of the first round of March madness. But that is obviously where we disagree. Losing a five star, top 15 talent like Nix for one year of an OK player like Gilder is so detrimental to the team in the long run I don’t even know what to say.

You dont think that starting 5 is very talented? Is that what you just said? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

"Ok player" like Gilder? You're like a shock jock... outrageous takes that have no backing by people that know what they are talking about.

Gonzagit
05-02-2019, 09:48 AM
I’m not sure that I understand your point. Now that RJ Hampton re-classified, Suggs is the number one point guard for 2020. He is a McDonald’s all American top five player. He’s not going to have to fight for playing time, he is a one and done

So then why would he be worried about who we sign? The question you asked is if any of this makes Suggs think twice. If he's a lock to be a one and done (which he's not - IMO), then why would he care? He's going to get recruited over no matter where he goes (ask Boogie Ellis).

caldwellzag
05-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Let's keep this forum about the recruits please and not about each other. We all have opinions, some we agree with and some we don't. I love seeing everyone's takes, no matter how different they are from mine.

Gonzagit
05-02-2019, 10:01 AM
He’s not going to get recruited over, that’s my point. Boogie Ellis was in the mid 30s, Suggs is currently number nine or 10 and will be top five by the end of the season. My point is everything I’ve read and research is that he loves Gonzaga and the only school that he would leave us for his Duke. Trey Jones will be gone after this year who also happens to be from Minneapolis. Duke will offer Suggs. That is my point.

Everything here is hypothetical. We'll just agree to disagree.

SLOZag
05-04-2019, 10:33 AM
"According to Ben Roberts of the Lexington Herald-Leader, [Kentucky] assistant coach Joel Justus paid a visit to five-star point guard Daishen Nix on Thursday."

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2019/5/4/18528357/uk-basketball-recruiting-kentucky-daishen-nix-kansas-jayhawks

MDABE80
05-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Swap Gilder and Jenkins and now your height "issue" is solved.

Good chance both will be here.

webspinnre
05-04-2019, 01:21 PM
Good chance both will be here.

I'm saying that the way he had the lineup, the SG was "too small". All he had to do was move Gilder to SG and now the height is fine.

MDABE80
05-05-2019, 12:40 PM
Bingo……..web. More to come.

harryzag
05-05-2019, 05:33 PM
caldwell - any updates on Nix? With Suggs recruitment trending in such a positive direction, is there any risk still pursuing Nix for 2019?

Worthington
05-05-2019, 06:42 PM
Gilder and Jenkins likely would not even play together, no?

webspinnre
05-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Gilder and Jenkins likely would not even play together, no?

Would depend on the status of a potential transfer waiver. While Jenkins is fine, I'm less excited about him than Gilder, especially if Nix is on the table instead.

LongIslandZagFan
05-06-2019, 09:08 AM

Ummm... think your math is off a bit.

harryzag
05-08-2019, 09:39 AM
Caldwell - any news here?!

caldwellzag
05-08-2019, 09:49 AM
Caldwell - any news here?!

Nothing new.

former1dog
05-09-2019, 10:07 AM
Ok, how late in the year can a player reclassify? Does the player then simply take the GED? What about test scores, etc.?

Could this all be in the works currently for Nix?

Are the rumblings that Caldwellzag has been hearing related to the task of trying to reclassify and the reason everything is so quiet is to see if it would even be possible before saying anything?

BTW, if this is going to happen, it seems logically this would be the next big news!?

webspinnre
05-09-2019, 10:11 AM
It's crazy how spoiled we are that we're hoping every day for new information.

exclusivelee
05-09-2019, 10:13 AM
North Texas grad transfer point guard Ryan Woolridge or Daishen Nix?

former1dog
05-09-2019, 10:15 AM
It's crazy how spoiled we are that we're hoping every day for new information.

Not that I have a strong disagreement with your statement, its just that given the fact that this school year is coming to an end and the next is less than 4 months away, the announcement of a recruit coming in in less than 4 months seems to me something that should be imminent.

webspinnre
05-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Not that I have a strong disagreement with your statement, its just that given the fact that this school year is coming to an end and the next is less than 4 months away, the announcement of a recruit coming in in less than 4 months seems to me something that should be imminent.

You've been on the board long enough to know that sometimes it's early, sometimes it's late. We've found out about guys in June some years.

ZagBlue
05-09-2019, 10:34 AM
You've been on the board long enough to know that sometimes it's early, sometimes it's late. We've found out about guys in June some years.

This is correct. Guys, recall that Marvin Bagley made the announcement to reclassify and head to Duke on August 15th. This one might take some patience although I do not expect it to take until August (assuming it happens at all).

former1dog
05-09-2019, 10:37 AM

:lmao: I'm a board OG, Web... I was on two previous iterations of this board.

That being beside the point, though.

In my memory, we haven't heard about a domestic high school recruit any later than this. That said, we have never had a domestic recruit reclassify his graduation year either.

caldwellzag
05-09-2019, 10:58 AM

In my memory, we haven't heard about a domestic high school recruit any later than this. That said, we have never had a domestic recruit reclassify his graduation year either.

Not sure the timing of things or if it will actually happen, but was told that there is some behind the scenes stuff that must happen before things will be finalized and to be patient.

former1dog
05-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Not sure the timing of things or if it will actually happen, but was told that there is some behind the scenes stuff that must happen before things will be finalized and to be patient.

Thanks!

webspinnre
05-09-2019, 12:25 PM

That's my point, I've been around since then as well. You should know how this goes.

former1dog
05-09-2019, 12:28 PM
That's my point, I've been around since then as well. You should know how this goes.

Not to belabor the point or derail the thread, but some of this is new ground we're covering.

At the end of the day, Caldwellzag gave me an informed response. It is appreciated and that's all I needed.

God Bless!

harryzag
05-09-2019, 01:04 PM

Thanks! What would you say the odds are of Nix being on the roster next year are?

caldwellzag
05-09-2019, 01:09 PM
Thanks! What would you say the odds are of Nix being on the roster next year are?

In all honesty I have really no clue. This has been a pretty quiet recruitment.

TheOtherGreatOne
05-09-2019, 04:48 PM
This is correct. Guys, recall that Marvin Bagley made the announcement to reclassify and head to Duke on August 15th. This one might take some patience although I do not expect it to take until August (assuming it happens at all).

We are not duke. Bagley could not have been eligible anywhere else. not only did he have to make up his senior year, but he went to a school that the ncaa does not accept. Bagley had to make up 2 years in what 3 weeks. Wish we would get duke treatment, but us or any other school does not.

JPtheBeasta
05-13-2019, 08:40 AM
We are not duke. Bagley could not have been eligible anywhere else. not only did he have to make up his senior year, but he went to a school that the ncaa does not accept. Bagley had to make up 2 years in what 3 weeks. Wish we would get duke treatment, but us or any other school does not.

That's quite the claim, and one I hadn't heard before. How does it mesh with what is reported here?:

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/college/how-basketball-star-marvin-bagley-went-from-high-school-junior/article_270ad52b-dd3a-53a3-8ac6-3611b7625616.html

JPtheBeasta
05-13-2019, 08:48 AM
What I did learn from the article is that high school players who want to reclassify can follow a path similar to Geno Crandall on his way here: Take a bunch of classes during the summer and graduate in time to play the coming year. I'm surprised more people don't do it-- especially those who want to start making NBA-money as soon as possible.

caldwellzag
05-13-2019, 08:50 AM
What I did learn from the article is that high school players who want to reclassify can follow a path similar to Geno Crandall on his way here: Take a bunch of classes during the summer and graduate in time to play the coming year. I'm surprised more people don't do it-- especially those who want to start making NBA-money as soon as possible.

There are a lot of factors that go into it. The article made it sound kind of easy to do. Each State is actually different as well.

caldwellzag
05-13-2019, 08:52 AM
Just to know on Nix, Kentucky has been putting on a full court press here, which adds another layer to all this.

former1dog
05-13-2019, 08:58 AM
Just to know on Nix, Kentucky has been putting on a full court press here, which adds another layer to all this.

That would be unfortunate if he decided on UK instead, unfortunate for Gonzaga I should say. But, as best I can tell, this kid is going to thrive whether he goes to UK or to GU or to Kansas. And, he's going to do well if he goes in 2019 or in 2020. He's a fantastic player and I like that he seems to be a pass first player who is very fundamentally sound.

Zagceo
05-13-2019, 09:05 AM

never good to hear.

HenneZag
05-13-2019, 10:06 AM
never good to hear.

Maybe that's how Kentucky feels when we are in the mix!

basketballzag
05-13-2019, 02:11 PM
Is ZagMBB following Nix on Twitter? Sometimes this is a good indicator

exclusivelee
05-13-2019, 02:39 PM
Is ZagMBB following Nix on Twitter? Sometimes this is a good indicatorNo, they are not. Only the 2020 verbal commits in terms of future recruits

basketballzag
05-14-2019, 01:45 PM
No, they are not. Only the 2020 verbal commits in terms of future recruits

Then I would say you can probably scratch him off the list

WallaWallaZag
05-14-2019, 11:34 PM
Then I would say you can probably scratch him off the list

wouldn't scratch him off quite yet, but certainly not trending in the right direction...thornton would be a decent stopgap consolation prize if suggs is on the way.

exclusivelee
05-15-2019, 07:39 AM
Then I would say you can probably scratch him off the listIt doesn't mean much. That account isn't following Suggs, Holmgren, Kessler, Maxwell, Bittle, Gregg, or Harvey either. And it didn't follow Gilder until he announced for the Zags

bdmiller7
05-15-2019, 08:16 AM
It doesn't mean much. That account isn't following Suggs, Holmgren, Kessler, Maxwell, Bittle, Gregg, or Harvey either. And it didn't follow Gilder until he announced for the Zags

If it's the official Zags basketball account are they even allowed to follow recruits or would it be a violation until they actually sign. I know coaches can't publicly discuss recruits until they sign.

exclusivelee
05-15-2019, 09:23 AM
If it's the official Zags basketball account are they even allowed to follow recruits or would it be a violation until they actually sign.

There is no rule against college coaching following a recruit on social media, in fact, they are also allowed to "like", "retweet", "share", and "favorite" as long as they do not "comment" on a recruit who has not signed a letter of intent

Go check out the DukeMBB twitter account. You'll see them following many 2020 and 2021 basketball recruits like Suggs, Cade Cunningham, and Jalen Johnson. The ZagMBB account follows Dom and Julian. Neither have signed a letter of intent yet

bdmiller7
05-15-2019, 09:39 AM
There is no rule against college coaching following a recruit on social media, in fact, they are also allowed to "like", "retweet", "share", and "favorite" as long as they do not "comment" on a recruit who has not signed a letter of intent

Go check out the DukeMBB twitter account. You'll see them following many 2020 and 2021 basketball recruits like Suggs, Cade Cunningham, and Jalen Johnson. The ZagMBB account follows Dom and Julian. Neither have signed a letter of intent yet

Thanks, wasnt sure on the rules. Maybe ZagsMBB waits until they've at least verbally committed to follow recruits. I definitely wouldnt take that account as who we do or don't have a chance at in recruiting though.

jazzdelmar
05-15-2019, 09:47 AM
Is there a deadline for Nix?

SLOZag
05-15-2019, 09:50 AM
There is no rule against college coaching following a recruit on social media, in fact, they are also allowed to "like", "retweet", "share", and "favorite" as long as they do not "comment" on a recruit who has not signed a letter of intent. Go check out the DukeMBB twitter account. You'll see them following many 2020 and 2021 basketball recruits like Suggs, Cade Cunningham, and Jalen Johnson. The ZagMBB account follows Dom and Julian. Neither have signed a letter of intent yet

Thanks for your post -- informed, well-written, and leaving me a bit less ignorant than I was previously. This is why many of us keep coming back here.
:allhail:

SLOZag
05-16-2019, 01:05 PM
Some rumblings I have heard lately come out of Prolific Prep, sounds like the staff is really high on Burnett ... .

"A combo guard, [Nimari] Burnett is ranked No. 23 in 247Sports Composite rankings [for 2020] and is one of the most sought after rising guards in the class. With offers from a handful of schools, his list includes Arizona, Arizona State, Gonzaga, Ohio State, USC, Stanford and many others. In a recent interview with Hawkeyenation.com, Burnett expressed what he will look for in his suitors. “What’s most important is a school that has a good coaching staff, good academic programs, and a system that I can fit in right away and succeed in that can also get me to the next level,” Indiana, who extended an offer in July, has sparked an interest from the 6-foot-3 guard. In the same article, it was noted that Burnett wants to major in Sports Management while in school, a program that Indiana University ranks highly in, and could possibly help draw him back to the midwest. The Hoosiers are heavily routed in the guards of the 2020 class, currently involved with Caleb Love, Anthony Leal, Trey Galloway, RJ Davis, Mike Saunders, and DJ Steward amongst others. For now, Burnett’s recruiting is ‘wide open’ and he doesn’t expect to make a decision until next spring."

https://hoosierstateofmind.com/2019/05/16/indiana-basketball-how-romeo-langford-has-fared-at-the-nba-draft-combine/

webspinnre
05-16-2019, 09:23 PM
"A combo guard, [Nimari] Burnett is ranked No. 23 in 247Sports Composite rankings [for 2020] and is one of the most sought after rising guards in the class. With offers from a handful of schools, his list includes Arizona, Arizona State, Gonzaga, Ohio State, USC, Stanford and many others. In a recent interview with Hawkeyenation.com, Burnett expressed what he will look for in his suitors. “What’s most important is a school that has a good coaching staff, good academic programs, and a system that I can fit in right away and succeed in that can also get me to the next level,” Indiana, who extended an offer in July, has sparked an interest from the 6-foot-3 guard. In the same article, it was noted that Burnett wants to major in Sports Management while in school, a program that Indiana University ranks highly in, and could possibly help draw him back to the midwest. The Hoosiers are heavily routed in the guards of the 2020 class, currently involved with Caleb Love, Anthony Leal, Trey Galloway, RJ Davis, Mike Saunders, and DJ Steward amongst others. For now, Burnett’s recruiting is ‘wide open’ and he doesn’t expect to make a decision until next spring."

https://hoosierstateofmind.com/2019/05/16/indiana-basketball-how-romeo-langford-has-fared-at-the-nba-draft-combine/

I'll wave at him as I drive by his school on the way to work. :lmao:

Kiddwell
05-16-2019, 10:02 PM
...if we're (still) talking to Nix about reclassifying to 2019? Anybody got anything new on him?

:]

WallaWallaZag
05-17-2019, 01:31 AM
he's kept his recruiting plans pretty quiet...tight to the vest, so don't expect much news to be coming out until he actually takes action. based on what i've heard, he won't announce anything regarding reclassifying until he announces where he plans to go. probably won't be an rj hampton scenario.

Zagdawg
05-22-2019, 09:04 PM
He says he is 2020.

jazzdelmar
05-23-2019, 05:40 AM
Yup, 2020...he's staying, now inviting blue bloods....

my recruitment is open

@BBallplayaz
9h9 hours ago
More
Replying to @djfromveg
2019 or 2020?

daishen

exclusivelee
05-25-2019, 07:27 PM
Perhaps not a leader for Nix anymore with him staying in 2020

https://twitter.com/PaulBiancardi/status/1132458436283658240?s=19

jazzdelmar
05-25-2019, 07:39 PM
Perhaps not a leader for Nix anymore with him staying in 2020

https://twitter.com/PaulBiancardi/status/1132458436283658240?s=19

Memphis.

JPtheBeasta
05-26-2019, 10:15 AM
Reading between the lines in the tea leaves and which way the wind is blowing (this is next-level, gratuitous prognostication with a healthy dose of wishful thinking mixed in) that his lack of mention of GU means that the staff has something different planned. Maybe Nix just isn't interested in GU but... I'm hoping this means a backcourt of Suggs and Harris is coming to fruition.

Zagdawg
06-02-2019, 06:22 AM
EPLAY Basketball

@EPLAYbasketball
15h15 hours ago
More
Daishen Nix is on a roll at the @PangosAACamp 16pts on a spotless shooting percentage (6-6 from field, 4-4 from 3) @djfromveg

JohnOGU
06-02-2019, 03:23 PM
Are we still high on this guy? Hope so given his performance at the Pangos Camp.

jazzdelmar
06-02-2019, 04:14 PM
Are we still high on this guy? Hope so given his performance at the Pangos Camp.

Duke. Memphis. UK. That crowd.

caldwellzag
06-04-2019, 10:21 PM
He is on our radar but also playing himself on to every blue bloods radar too.

jazzdelmar
06-05-2019, 06:11 AM
He is on our radar but also playing himself on to every blue bloods radar too.

afraid so.....he's lined up perfectly to replace either cole anthony at unc or the duke freshman as the team's next point guard......

LongIslandZagFan
06-05-2019, 07:11 AM
Interesting tidbit. The attitude that GU can't compete on the recruiting trail is the one Coach Fitzgerald subscribed to. Couple of guys that worked for him disagreed. Had they not... most of the people on this board... wouldn't be on this board.

Not saying Zags get Nix... but no reason to assume it is impossible either. You fail 100% of the times you don't try at all.

jazzdelmar
06-05-2019, 07:28 AM
Interesting tidbit. The attitude that GU can't compete on the recruiting trail is the one Coach Fitzgerald subscribed to. Couple of guys that worked for him disagreed. Had they not... most of the people on this board... wouldn't be on this board.

Not saying Zags get Nix... but no reason to assume it is impossible either. You fail 100% of the times you don't try at all.

You do realize Nix is the #1 pg and the #12 player all around in the class of '20, right? Love your optimism but a bit of a stretch IMO.

Zagdawg
06-05-2019, 08:03 AM
I think that LIZF is saying that it is good to be on his list-- to be in consideration is the first step.

LongIslandZagFan
06-05-2019, 08:58 AM
You do realize Nix is the #1 pg and the #12 player all around in the class of '20, right? Love your optimism but a bit of a stretch IMO.

Again, if Few and Monson thought that certain players were out of reach, then this whole deal wouldn't have happened.

Just because he is #12 overall is no reason to give up, which you seem to be advocating. Each time the Zags nab higher and higher ranked players they inch forward in status.

LongIslandZagFan
06-05-2019, 08:59 AM
I think that LIZF is saying that it is good to be on his list-- to be in consideration is the first step.

First step in the consideration is to actually make an effort and not think they are out of reach.

sittingon50
06-05-2019, 10:52 AM

This.

basketballzag
06-07-2019, 12:14 PM
This.

If Nix commits then Ravet takes the redshirt.

sittingon50
06-07-2019, 12:51 PM

So are you suggesting that Ravet plays this year & takes the RS next year bbz?

ZagaZags
06-07-2019, 02:47 PM

Last I heard, Nix is 2020.

jazzdelmar
06-07-2019, 03:18 PM
Last I heard, Nix is 2020.

He absolutely is. Trawling for the bluest of the bloods. I think BBZ didn’t get that memo.

Zagdawg
06-13-2019, 09:26 AM
No mention of us here.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Five-star-Daishen-Nix-Point-Guard-Maryland-Kentucky--132835053/

scrooner
08-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Nix gets his first crystal ball. For UCLA.

ZagRecruitWatch
08-08-2019, 01:56 PM
Nix gets his first crystal ball. For UCLA.

By announcing he is not reclassifying, Gonzaga has let up on is recruitment.

ZagRecruitWatch
08-19-2019, 07:46 PM
Daishen Nix has cut his list to Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Maryland, and Alabama, per his Twitter page

He was really high on Gonzaga at the beginning of his recruitment but with the interest of Suggs im not surprised we didn't make his final list

jazzdelmar
08-20-2019, 04:31 AM
Daishen Nix has cut his list to Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Maryland, and Alabama, per his Twitter page

He was really high on Gonzaga at the beginning of his recruitment but with the interest of Suggs im not surprised we didn't make his final list

Never close. Just bad prognosticating.

caldwellzag
08-20-2019, 06:58 AM

We also cooled on him, Suggs was our main (only focus). Once we felt comfortable that Suggs was coming to GU we backed way off of Nix.

caldwellzag
08-20-2019, 06:59 AM
Never close. Just bad prognosticating.

Not bad prognosticating, just normal recruiting stuff.

JPtheBeasta
08-20-2019, 09:03 AM
We also cooled on him, Suggs was our main (only focus). Once we felt comfortable that Suggs was coming to GU we backed way off of Nix.

That makes a lot of sense and fits the narrative I’m forming in my head. I hope I’m not writing young adult fiction— if so, this recruitment season is going to need more werewolves (with the angsty teenager role played by Jazz*)

*I couldn’t resist. I hope that it is taken well)

Zagdawg
08-20-2019, 11:25 AM
Evan Daniels
@EvanDaniels
·
13m
Daishen Nix, the nation's top point guard prospect, just verbally committed to UCLA, he tells
@247Sports

"[Mick Cronin] prioritized me from the start."

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Daishen-Nix-commits-UCLA-134611328/

ZagsObserver
08-20-2019, 01:02 PM

How do you cool off on a top 15 recruit?!

caldwellzag
08-20-2019, 01:03 PM

Because Jalen Suggs is a top 5 recruit in the country and in the argument for top player in the class.

caldwellzag
08-20-2019, 01:04 PM

Plus recruiting is more than just being a top 15 in the country, they have to fit what the team is doing, and Suggs fits it better than Nix. Nix will be a great player, but not one that fit perfectly into our plans (aka Suggs).

Ladyzag12
08-20-2019, 01:12 PM
Plus recruiting is more than just being a top 15 in the country, they have to fit what the team is doing, and Suggs fits it better than Nix. Nix will be a great player, but not one that fit perfectly into our plans (aka Suggs).

Are we sure that Nix is not better than Suggs? He was an absolute monster this summer.

caldwellzag
08-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Are we sure that Nix is not better than Suggs? He was an absolute monster this summer.

Did you see Suggs highlight reel from this summer? He may have had the best summer out of anyone in all of 2020 and 2021 classes. Their skill set is different and both are good, Suggs is what GU wants and needs in a PG.

Ladyzag12
08-20-2019, 01:22 PM
Don't get me wrong Caldwell, I will be pumped to Jalen here if he ends up committing. My head still spins with some of the names we are attached to. Good times.

OCzag
08-20-2019, 04:02 PM
Did you see Suggs highlight reel from this summer? He may have had the best summer out of anyone in all of 2020 and 2021 classes. Their skill set is different and both are good, Suggs is what GU wants and needs in a PG.

I'm clearly no expect as to whether Nix or Suggs is a "better" player - they both seem great (and their class rankings reflect that). It does seem like coach Few has wanted an athletic and tough PG for quite some time. I recall him coaching Marcus Smart at some team USA event and singing his praises an unusually high amount, especially for a player that was never even really recruited to GU. I could see Few focusing more on that type of all-around, football mentality player if he had the choice. Just watching some Suggs highlight videos you can see the different type of demeanor he brings to the court. I see Timme bringing that kind of attitude as well.

Besides, once Harris and Strawther committed, it was clear that they were also pushing for their friend Suggs to commit. It has to be a nice to have your two other prized recruits do some of the work for you as well. From what Harris and Strawther have said, they are relatively close with Suggs presumably it would make integrating him with some of his teammates an quite an easy process.

tenniszag
08-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Well that was quick. After announcing his final 5 yesterday, Nix commits to UCLA today.

ZagBlue
08-21-2019, 06:29 AM
Everyone: at some point with top recruits who both play the same position, a decision has to be made. These kids don’t want to play second fiddle to anyone on the court or during the recruiting process. As Caldwell said, once the staff felt comfortable with Suggs, they had a choice to make as Nix was nowhere near as close to confirming a very strong Gonzaga interest. He was literally starting to sort through the process but he did want to feel like the priority of. With Suggs strong interest, we couldn’t provide that in good faith. So, as Caldwell said, we cooled on that recruit and focused 100% on the guy who is extremely interested.

ZagRecruitWatch
08-21-2019, 08:00 AM
These kids don’t want to play second fiddle to anyone on the court or during the recruiting process.

This is a extremely incorrect generalization. If this were true teams like the Blue bloods wouldn't exist in fact usually top players try to team up and recruit each other much like you see with Dom and Julian. Us backing off had to do more with number of scholarships left and the pieces that mark few wanted.

Murphy outgo lifer
08-21-2019, 08:14 AM
This is a extremely incorrect generalization. If this were true teams like the Blue bloods wouldn't exist in fact usually top players try to team up and recruit each other much like you see with Dom and Harris.

This is not usually the case when they play the same position.

ZagRecruitWatch
08-21-2019, 08:28 AM
This is not usually the case when they play the same position.

Julian and Suggs are listed at the same position (even tho I think Straw will end up playing the 3). Nix was listed as PG and Suggs is listed as a SG/CG depending on which source you prefer so this still wouldn't have been a problem. But it happens often where two five star recruits commit to the same position UW for example this year, Duke last year, Kentucky last year and almost every year before that. I'm sorry but the argument that schools "back off a player" because they are both high level recruits and demand the ball just doesn't hold any water.

Zagdawg
08-21-2019, 08:51 AM
Both players have said -- this school made it clear that I am their priority ----Suggs knows he is our priority ---- UCLA made Nix their priority --- if you are watching them play --both are the alphas who run the their teams. Hoping both go on to have great college and then pro careers. UCLA got a very good player and we will have a very good player leading our team also.