PDA

View Full Version : Chance for Zags to get a #1.....recruiting class, that is!

strikenowhere
02-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Eric Bossi at Rivals seems to think the Zags have a good chance at landing the #1 recruiting class in 2019:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/starting-five-duke-is-rolling-crean-s-comments

NOTE: Not sure if this really belonged in the Whelping Box since its not about any single recruit, but the class in general but please move if needed....this section of the forums gets more eyeballs anyway :)

MickMick
02-11-2019, 11:27 AM
Wow.

The recruiting isn't complete until they can land a guy from Lone Peak High School.

jazzdelmar
02-11-2019, 11:40 AM
“Just how good can it get for Mark Few and Gonzaga? Well, there’s a chance that the Zags could improve upon their current ranking of No. 6 overall in the 2019 team rankings. As a matter of fact, there’s a legitimate chance that they could finish with the top overall class.

Now, who other programs land could change the final rankings but the Zags chances at the top spot are tied directly into International big man Oumar Ballo, who is visiting next week. The 6-foot-10 big man from Mali is a monster post prospect who rebounds, runs the floor and is physically imposing. He’s also considering Arizona and Baylor, but word on the street has the Zags leading for his services and if he picks them, they would immediately jump into the stop spot.

Whether or not Ballo picks Gonzaga, there’s no doubting that their recruiting has now matched the level of their on the floor success and they should be considered a top 10 program nationally and anybody using conference affiliation to knock them is just refusing to be reasonable.

It should be noted that the Zags hosted another five-star over the weekend. Class of 2020’s No. 2 ranked point guard Jalen Suggs was on campus and he’s been a major target. They’ve also got four-star junior combo guard Dominick Harris onboard, so it’s looking like the recruiting success isn’t going away anytime soon.”

TexasZagFan
02-11-2019, 11:48 AM
Just how good can it get for Mark Few and Gonzaga? Well, there’s a chance that the Zags could improve upon their current ranking of No. 6 overall in the 2019 team rankings. As a matter of fact, there’s a legitimate chance that they could finish with the top overall class.

Now, who other programs land could change the final rankings but the Zags chances at the top spot are tied directly into International big man Oumar Ballo, who is visiting next week. The 6-foot-10 big man from Mali is a monster post prospect who rebounds, runs the floor and is physically imposing. He’s also considering Arizona and Baylor, but word on the street has the Zags leading for his services and if he picks them, they would immediately jump into the stop spot.

Whether or not Ballo picks Gonzaga, there’s no doubting that their recruiting has now matched the level of their on the floor success and they should be considered a top 10 program nationally and anybody using conference affiliation to knock them is just refusing to be reasonable.

It should be noted that the Zags hosted another five-star over the weekend. Class of 2020’s No. 2 ranked point guard Jalen Suggs was on campus and he’s been a major target. They’ve also got four-star junior combo guard Dominick Harris onboard, so it’s looking like the recruiting success isn’t going away anytime soon.

Recommend you put quote tags around that, jazz. Looks like your words, as opposed to the author's.

scrooner
02-11-2019, 12:23 PM
Except we all know jazz doesn't sound like that!

CDC84
02-11-2019, 12:24 PM
No references to Baby Shaq!

sittingon50
02-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Wow.

The recruiting isn't complete until they can land a guy from Lone Peak High School.

With 'ya Mick. Surprised the Zags have been able to keep their heads above water.

gonstu
02-11-2019, 12:40 PM
Wow.

haha - good one

jazzdelmar
02-11-2019, 12:41 PM
That’s funny guys.
Except we all know jazz doesn't sound like that!

SorenTodd45
02-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Coach Few is the new Lute Olson. Recruits want to play for him, 'nuff said.

raise the zag
02-12-2019, 04:54 AM
We are hosting a kid who grew up his entire life in tropical weather in February? A cold, snowy, polar vortex type February.

Meanwhile, he visits Arizona and Baylor later this Spring, in Phoenix and Waco that is.

Hmmm....

Malastein
02-12-2019, 04:59 AM
I don’t think the weather stopped some elite guys playing for UConn. Coach Few is now recruiting guys who have no memory of the Zags not in the NCAA tournament. They also saw them almost beat UNC in the championship game. This is now the time for Mark Few to win some titles!

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 05:02 AM
We are hosting a kid who grew up his entire life in tropical weather in February? A cold, snowy, polar vortex type February.

Meanwhile, he visits Arizona and Baylor later this Spring, in Phoenix and Waco that is.

Hmmm....

He's not going to Arizona. He's a lock for Gonzaga.

raise the zag
02-12-2019, 05:13 AM
Pavel Zakharov working on his "zag hair" and looking good for Montverde this season.

Has LONG arms (& short shorts). He will fit in great.

Add some muscle and he will be a beast someday! Currently 6'11", 230lbs.

Video: https://twitter.com/WhosNextHS/status/1087376309880344578 (https://twitter.com/WhosNextHS/status/1087376309880344578)

jazzdelmar
02-12-2019, 05:49 AM
How many stars is Oumar?

I found it: "Once Ballo makes his college choice, he'll be elevated to a five-star prospect. 247Sports doesn't include international prospects in our rankings until they make the final decision that they'll be playing college basketball."

raise the zag
02-12-2019, 06:51 AM
How many stars is Oumar?

I found it: "Once Ballo makes his college choice, he'll be elevated to a five-star prospect. 247Sports doesn't include international prospects in our rankings until they make the final decision that they'll be playing college basketball."

He reminds me of Azuibuke from Kansas. Not quite as explosive or strong, yet has the potential.

Ballo has a ridiculous 7'5" wingspan and good instincts, esp defensively, yet his skill fundamentals have a long way to go. He has limited moves, and relies solely on his power/strength/size to score. A tad bit slow footed, yet upside is terrific. Great big bodied build, long arms, soft touch, loves to dunk, and has good quickness on defense.

Spy...err...some will say he is 'one and done', yet not even close. Has a long way to go to be consistently productive at the college level. Not to say he won't be an instant impact or weapon, as his size/body/strength is reason to see the court.

However, he has never really faced anyone within 30lbs or 4 inches of him. He did great in FIBA U18 tourney, yet they were mostly vs teams with limited size.

I like him as a prospect, not afraid to throw his body around, and his upside huge -- literally and figuratively.

He is raw though. Even the games he scored 30 and rebounded 30 he scored on dunks and just throwing people off him. One dimensional by today's standards, and lacking quickness, a bit slow.

I could see a RS year needed, but once he has a year to acclimate and expand his skills, watch out. He will be a force. Maybe never a high scoring force, but 10 ppg, 12 rpg, 3 bpg is realistic for him. Much like Azuibuke for Kansas, even when he isn't scoring, he is helping clear the lane for someone else, or clean up a shot attempt, etc.

dan71w
02-12-2019, 08:00 AM
I just found this, what a great write-up. All aboard the hype train.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/feb/11/gonzaga-recruits-feel-the-love-during-visit-to-cam/

I am not sure how to post this sorry, if it doesn't work.

raise the zag
02-12-2019, 08:10 AM
I just found this, what a great write-up. All aboard the hype train.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/feb/11/gonzaga-recruits-feel-the-love-during-visit-to-cam/

I am not sure how to post this sorry, if it doesn't work.

“It was just good to see and the atmosphere here is insane, there is nothing like it that I have been to so far,” Strawther said.

Considering Julian has already visited Marquette, Florida, & Florida St already, this is quite the compliment. He still has yet to visit Washington in March.

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 08:11 AM
He reminds me of Azuibuke from Kansas. Not quite as explosive or strong, yet has the potential.

Ballo has a ridiculous 7'5" wingspan and good instincts, esp defensively, yet his skill fundamentals have a long way to go. He has limited moves, and relies solely on his power/strength/size to score. A tad bit slow footed, yet upside is terrific. Great big bodied build, long arms, soft touch, loves to dunk, and has good quickness on defense.

Spy...err...some will say he is 'one and done', yet not even close. Has a long way to go to be consistently productive at the college level. Not to say he won't be an instant impact or weapon, as his size/body/strength is reason to see the court.

However, he has never really faced anyone within 30lbs or 4 inches of him. He did great in FIBA U18 tourney, yet they were mostly vs teams with limited size.

I like him as a prospect, not afraid to throw his body around, and his upside huge -- literally and figuratively.

He is raw though. Even the games he scored 30 and rebounded 30 he scored on dunks and just throwing people off him. One dimensional by today's standards, and lacking quickness, a bit slow.

I could see a RS year needed, but once he has a year to acclimate and expand his skills, watch out. He will be a force. Maybe never a high scoring force, but 10 ppg, 12 rpg, 3 bpg is realistic for him. Much like Azuibuke for Kansas, even when he isn't scoring, he is helping clear the lane for someone else, or clean up a shot attempt, etc.

Quick question; how many 5*'s redshirt? Ideally, I'd like him to be a 2020, but I think he's hellbent on being a 2019

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 08:12 AM
Why isn't this thread in the whelping box, btw?

dan71w
02-12-2019, 08:25 AM
Why isn't this thread in the whelping box, btw?
I am sorry what is the whelping box?

never mind I found it.

strikenowhere
02-12-2019, 09:17 AM

never mind I found it.

Exactly why I posted this here :o

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 09:22 AM

never mind I found it.

It's our dedicated recruiting forum and there are tons of posts and information on it.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/forumdisplay.php?33-The-Whelping-Box

kitzbuel
02-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Pavel Zakharov working on his "zag hair" and looking good for Montverde this season.

Has LONG arms (& short shorts). He will fit in great.

Add some muscle and he will be a beast someday! Currently 6'11", 230lbs.

Video: https://twitter.com/WhosNextHS/status/1087376309880344578 (https://twitter.com/WhosNextHS/status/1087376309880344578)

He totally has the Kevin McHale look going with those shorts.

basketballzag
02-12-2019, 10:39 AM
“Just how good can it get for Mark Few and Gonzaga? Well, there’s a chance that the Zags could improve upon their current ranking of No. 6 overall in the 2019 team rankings. As a matter of fact, there’s a legitimate chance that they could finish with the top overall class.

It should be noted that the Zags hosted another five-star over the weekend. Class of 2020’s No. 2 ranked point guard Jalen Suggs was on campus and he’s been a major target. They’ve also got four-star junior combo guard Dominick Harris onboard, so it’s looking like the recruiting success isn’t going away anytime soon.”

Ballo will be ballin for the Zags you can write that in ink. The Kennel Club better put on their "A" game for the Pepperdine game when he shows up so he signs on the dotted line during the game. After we sign him we officially become a Kentucky/Duke type program and immediately put ourselves into the National Championshp hunt once again. He reminds me of Shaq in every aspect of his game. I don't know if he has Shaq's dedication to the classroom though--if he has that academic Shaqtastic trait then we will have one special player.

BobZag
02-12-2019, 10:55 AM
I'm calling it now:

Jalen Suggs to GU.

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 11:04 AM
I'm calling it now:

Jalen Suggs to GU.

your lips to Gods ears. he would be our highest rated recruit......ever.

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 11:05 AM
Ballo will be ballin for the Zags you can write that in ink. The Kennel Club better put on their "A" game for the Pepperdine game when he shows up so he signs on the dotted line during the game. After we sign him we officially become a Kentucky/Duke type program and immediately put ourselves into the National Championshp hunt once again. He reminds me of Shaq in every aspect of his game. I don't know if he has Shaq's dedication to the classroom though--if he has that academic Shaqtastic trait then we will have one special player.

Ideally I was hoping that he'd be a 2020, just to space out or centers. If he is a 2019 does he immediately start over Petrusev? I assume Pavel would redshirt?

Zagceo
02-12-2019, 11:11 AM
I'm calling it now:

Jalen Suggs to GU.

OK bob whats your "calling it now" record for the record? )

bdmiller7
02-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Ideally I was hoping that he'd be a 2020, just to space out or centers. If he is a 2019 does he immediately start over Petrusev? I assume Pavel would redshirt?

If he's in the 19 class he will be really young. I don't think he turns 17 until July. My guess is he has a lot of work to do to fit into Few's precision offense. I'd be amazed if he starts day one. I would guess closer to Rui's progression. He will be behind in terms of his basketball IQ coming from Mali, but man is he big and strong for a 16 year old. My guess is he's a beast year 2.

sittingon50
02-12-2019, 11:20 AM
I'm calling it now:

Jalen Suggs to GU.

Thanks a lot BZ. That certainly will get a few posters lathered up!!

caldwellzag
02-12-2019, 11:21 AM

Early in the process I was hearing Pavel is more of a project and may redshirt, but since coming state side he has impressed a lot. BTW the Montverde team he is on is not a JV team, it is more of an elite basketball training program. He will be fully ready to step in and play next year. Next year we will have an embarrassment of riches if Ballo signs, which I am very confident he will.

caldwellzag
02-12-2019, 11:22 AM
I'm calling it now:

Jalen Suggs to GU.

I will piggy back on this and say I agree 100%. I honestly think we could have a verbal soon.

Zagceo
02-12-2019, 11:25 AM
I will piggy back on this and say I agree 100%. I honestly think we could have a verbal soon.

oh my....I'm lapping up this love

https://s17-us2.startpage.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fd.justpo.st%2Fmedia%2Fi mages%2F2014%2F03%2F7cbc277273a71c05eba7bf295f36b2 06.gif&sp=3f92c5a9f542c5073c16c07e9acab0ad

basketballzag
02-12-2019, 11:51 AM

Agreed 1000% with you and BobZag. I also believe that Strawther will commit as well shortly after Ballo and Suggs commit.

caldwellzag
02-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Agreed 1000% with you and BobZag. I also believe that Strawther will commit as well shortly after Ballo and Suggs commit.

It's a great time to be a Zag and these recruits know it.

harryzag
02-12-2019, 12:23 PM

Please tell me more!

caldwellzag
02-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Please tell me more!

Let's say that the biggest concern prior to the visit is if he wanted to play football or not. After/during the visit some of those concerns were addressed...

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 12:37 PM
If he's in the 19 class he will be really young. I don't think he turns 17 until July. My guess is he has a lot of work to do to fit into Few's precision offense. I'd be amazed if he starts day one. I would guess closer to Rui's progression. He will be behind in terms of his basketball IQ coming from Mali, but man is he big and strong for a 16 year old. My guess is he's a beast year 2.

He's way more advanced than Rui was at that age and he's been playing in Spain for years training with one of the junior Spanish clubs.

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 12:39 PM
Early in the process I was hearing Pavel is more of a project and may redshirt, but since coming state side he has impressed a lot. BTW the Montverde team he is on is not a JV team, it is more of an elite basketball training program. He will be fully ready to step in and play next year. Next year we will have an embarrassment of riches if Ballo signs, which I am very confident he will.

My point is, Pet, Pavel and Ballo are all high level recruits that all play the same position and there's not enough minutes for all three to make them happy; surely one will have to red shirt as none of the 3 can play pf.

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 12:40 PM

That would be phenomenal. Our 2nd Mickey Dee's straight outta high school. And if he does commit, gotta think we're in great shape for his teammate that we're looking at.

Zagceo
02-12-2019, 12:43 PM
Let's say that the biggest concern prior to the visit is if he wanted to play football or not. After/during the visit some of those concerns were addressed...

It was play football or play basketball not play both correct? there's only one Charlie Ward )

caldwellzag
02-12-2019, 12:49 PM
My point is, Pet, Pavel and Ballo are all high level recruits that all play the same position and there's not enough minutes for all three to make them happy; surely one will have to red shirt as none of the 3 can play pf.

I do not disagree with you on the minutes at all. Pet was a top 90 recruit, Pavel top 40, Ballo top 25...

caldwellzag
02-12-2019, 12:51 PM
It was play football or play basketball not play both correct? there's only one Charlie Ward )

There are a few schools that have floated the idea of playing both to him, honestly I don't know if that is really an option for him, but when Ohio St. comes calling for you to play QB you have to think twice. Heck ask Kyler Murray about he draw to football.

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 12:51 PM

or Kyler Murray

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 12:52 PM
There are a few schools that have floated the idea of playing both to him, honestly I don't know if that is really an option for him, but when Ohio St. comes calling for you to play QB you have to think twice. Heck ask Kyler Murray about he draw to football.

That's why I really hope that Ballo will space it out and be a 2020, or Pavel redshirts.

caldwellzag
02-12-2019, 12:55 PM
That's why I really hope that Ballo will space it out and be a 2020, or Pavel redshirts.

It's still early, but I do not think that is going to happen unless Ballo cannot get eligible for 2019, which could happen.

Gonzagit
02-12-2019, 12:55 PM

Totally agree - although with Justin Fields there, he won't sniff the field for 2 or 3 years.

Zagceo
02-12-2019, 12:59 PM
or Kyler Murray

baseball not basketball....much easier since seasons don't overlap

Zagceo
02-12-2019, 01:08 PM

totally get the draw of big time football..but the season overlap means a kid might not be available for basketball until mid January if playing in championship game. Who knows Suggs could be Charlie Ward good.

Ward played 10+ in NBA and won Heisman ...FYI Ward was also drafted by MLB as pitcher and played high level tennis as youth one of the best all around athletes ever imo

webspinnre
02-12-2019, 01:11 PM
totally get the draw of big time football..but the season overlap means a kid might not be available for basketball until mid January if playing in championship game. Who knows Suggs could be Charlie Ward good.

Ward played 10+ in NBA and won Heisman ...FYI Ward was also drafted by MLB as pitcher and played high level tennis as youth one of the best all around athletes ever imo

Going back a bit, but I'll take Jim Thorpe.

Bouldin4Prez
02-12-2019, 01:12 PM
Totally agree - although with Justin Fields there, he won't sniff the field for 2 or 3 years.

If Fields is as good as advertised and leaves for the NFL draft after his junior season, Suggs would sit behind him for only 1 season.

Bouldin4Prez
02-12-2019, 01:17 PM

That's the real issue here. With the football and basketball seasons overlapping so much, especially at a big time football school like Ohio State where they can be playing until the second weekend of January, he essentially has to choose on or the other. It works out with Baseball/Football because of how the seasons fall.

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 01:32 PM
baseball not basketball....much easier since seasons don't overlap

Good point. The only other two I can think of were Tony Gonzalez and Julius peppers and both of those are over a decade ago.

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 01:34 PM
If Fields is as good as advertised and leaves for the NFL draft after his junior season, Suggs would sit behind him for only 1 season.

He's not. At all. I live two hours from Athens and the buzz was that people were shocked at how bad he actually was throwing the football and reading defenses.

OntZags
02-12-2019, 01:45 PM

Honestly neither guy is likely to be a 5 year guy anyway so I don't really see the need for a redshirt. Give whoever's the least ready the Rui treatment of sorts where they still get to see some minutes late in games.

If Ballo is academically eligible, I'd rather him be on campus all season long battling with the team and learning the system.

OntZags
02-12-2019, 01:58 PM

Except they also have a 4 star RS freshman also in the system. And they've already signed a higher ranked 4 star QB this season. And you know they'll bringing more guys seasons' following.

Few QB's are given the keys to the castle at big time programs. You gotta earn that starting spot in a battle.

LouisianaZag
02-12-2019, 02:09 PM
It's still early, but I do not think that is going to happen unless Ballo cannot get eligible for 2019, which could happen.

For what ever the reason Fields is going to be eligible in 2019.

Zagceo
02-12-2019, 02:31 PM

and if those concerns involved playing basketball only in college....could he skip his Senior year of football and concentrate on basketball and eliminate possible injury concerns? like Kispert did?

IowaSERE
02-12-2019, 03:19 PM

Pet comes in and plays with Clark right now. I see Pet as more of a PF with Timme next year. Pavel and Ballo at C. Of course this all changes if Tillie comes back next year.

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 03:36 PM
Pet comes in and plays with Clark right now. I see Pet as more of a PF with Timme next year. Pavel and Ballo at C. Of course this all changes if Tillie comes back next year.

Yes but when Petrusev comes in he comes in as the center. I don’t see him as a power forward at all; not athletic or fast enough.

IowaSERE
02-12-2019, 03:48 PM
Yes but when Petrusev comes in he comes in as the center. I don’t see him as a power forward at all; not athletic or fast enough.

When he comes in and plays garbage time at the end of the game, he is definitely at center. Seems to me that when he plays with Clark, he is playing more on the perimeter.

cggonzaga
02-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Meech played in the NFL without ever playing in college. Just saying.

BobZag
02-12-2019, 04:43 PM

He played a year or two at Baylor.

BobZag
02-12-2019, 04:50 PM
Honest question:

What class is ranked higher, the 2019 class (as it is now) or the 2020 class IF they get Harris + Suggs + Strawther?

23dpg
02-12-2019, 05:51 PM
Honest question:

What class is ranked higher, the 2019 class (as it is now) or the 2020 class IF they get Harris + Suggs + Strawther?

That is a question that :argh:! 2020? First world recruiting problems. Haha

(I should point out that my head is exploding out of amazement, not agravation.)

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 07:24 PM

He played college football at Baylor

cggonzaga
02-12-2019, 08:23 PM
He played a year or two at Baylor.

Oh yeah.

tyra
02-13-2019, 02:57 AM

Birddog
02-13-2019, 04:01 AM
Good point. The only other two I can think of were Tony Gonzalez and Julius peppers and both of those are over a decade ago.

How quickly we forget; Bronson Kaufusi, right up there in "likeability" with Samhan.

thespywhozaggedme
02-13-2019, 05:44 AM
How quickly we forget; Bronson Kaufusi, right up there in "likeability" with Samhan.

Ha!

caldwellzag
02-13-2019, 07:19 AM
Honest question:

If we land those three and Harris end up Top 40, Strawther ends up Top 20 and Suggs ends up Top 10, then 2020, but not sure all them end up that high, so I will go with 2019 for a few reasons but number 1 is depth of the class. I think 2020 has higher rated recruits, but not the depth. Remember that Brock is Top 100 by 247 and Martynas Top 50 by 247, these are the forgotten two of a loaded class that should include Ballo.

BobZag
02-13-2019, 07:49 AM
If we land those three and Harris end up Top 40, Strawther ends up Top 20 and Suggs ends up Top 10, then 2020, but not sure all them end up that high, so I will go with 2019 for a few reasons but number 1 is depth of the class. I think 2020 has higher rated recruits, but not the depth. Remember that Brock is Top 100 by 247 and Martynas Top 50 by 247, these are the forgotten two of a loaded class that should include Ballo.

And if Ballo comes in 2020? :-)

soccerdud
02-13-2019, 08:49 AM
nate robinson played both football and basketball at UW.

caldwellzag
02-13-2019, 10:11 AM
And if Ballo comes in 2020? :-)

Then hands down 2020. Ballo plays a big factor in which class is better. Crazy thing is we will most likely have back to back Top 10/5 classes in the nation.

BobZag
02-13-2019, 02:19 PM

Don't know about "soon." But when he commits, it'll be to Gonzaga.

OZZY
02-13-2019, 02:34 PM
A little out there, but the name sir Donald Bradman might not be familiar to many of you, but in some countries he is revered as the greatest sportsman of all time.

In Wikipedia his exploits on the cricket pitch when compared to other famous athletes;

Athlete Sport Statistic Standard deviations

Bradman Cricket Batting average 4.4
Pelé Soccer Goals per game 3.7
Ty Cobb Baseball Batting average 3.6
Jack Nicklaus Golf Major titles 3.5
Michael Jordan Basketball Points per game 3.4

The statistics show that "no other athlete dominated an international sport to the extent that Bradman does cricket". In order to post a similarly dominant career statistic as Bradman, a baseball batter would need a career batting average of .392, while a basketball player would need to score an average of 43.0 points per game. The respective records are .366 and 30.1.

Sir Donald was a state-level tennis player, one of the country's best squash players, could make a break of 100 at snooker, played golf off scratch and was a competent concert pianist.

Cricket may not be big in the USA, but keep in mind that Cricket is played in countries that have a total population base of over 2 Billion people.....

Hooray4Daye&Gray
02-13-2019, 04:27 PM

Posts like this are the reason I refresh The Welping Box at least 10 times a day.

So many exciting things on the horizon for our Zags. Let's not forget to savor every moment of this season, of course, but it's becoming more and more apparent that it's not a matter of "if" the Zags will ever hang a National Championship banner, it's a matter of when. We will.

The first time we ever win it all will always be the best memory. When it happens, let's enjoy it and feel complete triumph, not feel relieved of anxiety.

Having guys like Oumar Ballo in town for our games should allow our coaches to be fearless. This isn't some one year window to win it all. Mark Few, Tommy Lloyd, Donny Daniels and Brian Michaelson are literally hand picking future Zags from around the WORLD.

I can see why it would be such an honor to get an offer.

This recruiting run is insane. I hope it's the start of a crazy 20 year run just like these last 20 years have been.

Every day it's looking more and more possible for us to just start ripping off championships. The Minnesotans know "anything's possible" more than anyone, and I have a feeling Geno and Jalen both have a lot of KG in them.

Anyway, this forum is incredible. Caldwell, I don't know how you know this stuff, but if most of these guys commit to us you are a legend. Who knew that all it took to get back to the insider info glory days was a recruiting forum separate from the "Men's Basketball" forum?

Lastly, there is definitely something fishy about the mysterious case of spy's deleted thread.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
02-13-2019, 04:28 PM
A little out there, but the name sir Donald Bradman might not be familiar to many of you, but in some countries he is revered as the greatest sportsman of all time.

In Wikipedia his exploits on the cricket pitch when compared to other famous athletes;

The statistics show that "no other athlete dominated an international sport to the extent that Bradman does cricket". In order to post a similarly dominant career statistic as Bradman, a baseball batter would need a career batting average of .392, while a basketball player would need to score an average of 43.0 points per game. The respective records are .366 and 30.1.

Sir Donald was a state-level tennis player, one of the country's best squash players, could make a break of 100 at snooker, played golf off scratch and was a competent concert pianist.

Posts like this, I could do without.

Zagceo
02-13-2019, 04:53 PM

Cricket may not be well big in the USA, but keep in mind that Cricket is played in countries that have a total population base of over 2 Billion people.....

I found it interesting. Thanks

White lightning
02-13-2019, 05:33 PM

Cricket may not be well big in the USA, but keep in mind that Cricket is played in countries that have a total population base of over 2 Billion people.....And this has anything to do with ????????

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

zagsfanforlife
02-13-2019, 06:08 PM
Posts like this are the reason I refresh The Welping Box at least 10 times a day.

So many exciting things on the horizon for our Zags. Let's not forget to savor every moment of this season, of course, but it's becoming more and more apparent that it's not a matter of "if" the Zags will ever hang a National Championship banner, it's a matter of when. We will.

The first time we ever win it all will always be the best memory. When it happens, let's enjoy it and feel complete triumph, not feel relieved of anxiety.

Having guys like Oumar Ballo in town for our games should allow our coaches to be fearless. This isn't some one year window to win it all. Mark Few, Tommy Lloyd, Donny Daniels and Brian Michaelson are literally hand picking future Zags from around the WORLD.

This recruiting run is insane. I hope it's the start of a crazy 20 year run just like these last 20 years have been.

Every day it's looking more and more possible for us to just start ripping off championships. The Minnesotans know "anything's possible" more than anyone, and I have a feeling Geno and Jalen both have a lot of KG in them.

Anyway, this forum is incredible. Caldwell, I don't know how you know this stuff, but if most of these guys commit to us you are a legend. Who knew that all it took to get back to the insider info glory days was a recruiting forum separate from the "Men's Basketball" forum?

Lastly, there is definitely something fishy about the mysterious case of spy's deleted thread.

Two of my greatest hopes in life:
1) That my parents both are alive to see me get married and start a family
2) that My dad is alive for when the Zags win their first championship. I can't imagine a more happier moment than that moment for us. He is my best friend, we were both in phoenix when they lost and all i could think of after the game was that me and my dad may never get that chance again to see them win a championship. I really really really hope that we both get to see a national title in this lifetime.

OZZY
02-13-2019, 06:22 PM
And this has anything to do with ????????

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Obviously you haven't read the thread from the beginning, there was some discussion earlier about talented athletes playing multiple sports.

North American-centric sports fans might not realise that there are other sports and amazing sportsmen out there they may not heard of.

Some people are able to broaden there knowledge base and appreciate a view from outside the norm (hence my first sentence) , some prefer not to......

Grand Valley Zag
02-13-2019, 07:15 PM
Obviously you haven't read the thread from the beginning, there was some discussion earlier about talented athletes playing multiple sports.

North American-centric sports fans might not realise that there are other sports and amazing sportsmen out there they may not heard of.

Some people are able to broaden there knowledge base and appreciate a view from outside the norm (hence my first sentence) , some prefer not to......

I thought it was interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

bartruff1
02-13-2019, 07:58 PM
I want my 15 seconds back....;)

caldwellzag
02-14-2019, 06:12 AM

Thanks, but I will say that the information I get is thanks to relationships that I have made. I can say that we are in the glory days of GU basketball and I can't wait for that first Title. Some of the names that I have heard I can't even believe they would be interested in GU, as they are ACC type players. The weeks and months to come I hope to be able to share those with you, as I do have to get permission on stuff before I post.

As for spy's deleted thread, first it was a mistake on my end not to just lock it, I wasn't paying full attention. Second, I can promise there was nothing fishy, there was no mystery recruit, I have verified that with multiple sources.

And I did piggy back off Bob and say soon on Jalen, soon meaning before the end of the summer. I do not him verbally committing until after the high school season and probably part of AAU. I do think that if Jalen lands at GU, which I am very confident to say will happen, then Julian will follow suit. 2020 recruiting class might be the best class of guards every put together!

Hooray4Daye&Gray
02-14-2019, 10:17 AM
Thanks, but I will say that the information I get is thanks to relationships that I have made. I can say that we are in the glory days of GU basketball and I can't wait for that first Title. Some of the names that I have heard I can't even believe they would be interested in GU, as they are ACC type players. The weeks and months to come I hope to be able to share those with you, as I do have to get permission on stuff before I post.

As for spy's deleted thread, first it was a mistake on my end not to just lock it, I wasn't paying full attention. Second, I can promise there was nothing fishy, there was no mystery recruit, I have verified that with multiple sources.

And I did piggy back off Bob and say soon on Jalen, soon meaning before the end of the summer. I do not him verbally committing until after the high school season and probably part of AAU. I do think that if Jalen lands at GU, which I am very confident to say will happen, then Julian will follow suit. 2020 recruiting class might be the best class of guards every put together!

Haha, I better come clean that I was just attempting some bizarre humor by saying it was definitely fishy. I got some hearty laughs out of that whole conspiracy - just another thing that has made reading this forum so enjoyable.

The only thing that is truly "bizarre" is imagining a recruit logging in to read some thoughts from fans about them after visiting, only to see everyone talking about a mystery 45 year old recruit. :lmao:

maynard g krebs
02-14-2019, 11:28 AM

Nate Robinson was a starting cornerback as a true frosh at UW; joined the bb team after fb was over and contributed immediately and never played fb again, though he once said he'd like to do both in the pros.

EEzag
02-15-2019, 08:14 AM
Nate Robinson was a starting cornerback as a true frosh at UW; joined the bb team after fb was over and contributed immediately and never played fb again, though he once said he'd like to do both in the pros.

One of the greatest pure atheletes I've had the pleasure of watching.