• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FuManShoes
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Coaches' anonymous feedback on Gonzaga

No wonder Perkins plays with a chip. Yes, some of this is legit criticism, but far less so this year. Keep killing these guys.

Hoop Thoughts: No Coachspeak allowed! Let's go behind enemy lines to hear the truth on the top teams

Gonzaga: “There are times when they really rely on Rui Hachimura to take over the game. Someone who has a big physical player up front can take that away. You used to bring their bigs away from the basket and then drive ’em, but with Brandon Clarke in there this might be the best defensive team Mark Few has had. I’m not a fan of Josh Perkins, man. I don’t think you can win at a high level with him. He’s got guts, but he’s not a pure point guard. He’s prone to have a bad one at the wrong time. Late in the game, he wants to take over and he’s streaky. He can make four or five in a row, but he can turn it over twice and miss three in a row. Zach Norvell is another wild card. He might go oh-for-9 and then hit the game-winner. Clarke can be an inconsistent shooter too, but we can’t expose that in our league. They’re pretty good defensively because they’re big and physical up front, and they do a good job of funneling guys where they want them to go. The best thing about them is they can take their game away from the Kennel. They’re not one of those teams that only plays well at home.”
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few
  • sittingon50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by FuManShoes View Post
    No wonder Perkins plays with a chip. Yes, some of this is legit criticism, but far less so this year. Keep killing these guys.

Hoop Thoughts: No Coachspeak allowed! Let's go behind enemy lines to hear the truth on the top teams

"Clarke can be an inconsistent shooter too, but we can't expose that in our league."

So is this a WCC Coach?
    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• ZAG 4 LIFE
      Kennel Club
      • Nov 2014

NCAA Division 1 FG PERCENTAGE LEADERS
      Last updated February 7, 2019 - Through games February 6, 2019

NAME TEAM Class Ht. Pos. Games FGM FGA FG%
      1st Brandon Clarke Gonzaga Jr 6'8" F 23 155 225 68.90%
      2nd Zion Williamson Duke Fr 6'7" F 22 191 280 68.20%
      3rd Obi Toppin Dayton Fr 6'9" F 23 132 194 68.00%
      4th Jehyve Floyd Holy Cross Sr 6'8" F 24 120 179 67.00%
      5th Daniel Gafford Arkansas Soph 6'11" C 22 144 216 66.70%
      Last edited by ZAG 4 LIFE; 02-11-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• billyberu
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Feb 2007

Clarke is an inconsistent shooter? Maybe when he was at San Jose St. Might want to update that scouting report.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
        There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
        Surfmonkey89

Comment

• kitzbuel
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
          "Clarke can be an inconsistent shooter too, but we can't expose that in our league."

So is this a WCC Coach?
          Yes. The whole premise of the article is that Seth went 'behind enemy lines' to coaches and assistants inside the leagues that each of the featured teams play in.
          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• kitzbuel
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by billyberu View Post
            Clarke is an inconsistent shooter? Maybe when he was at San Jose St. Might want to update that scouting report.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
            Apparently being #7 in the nation for field goal percentage puts you in the inconsistent shooter category. Poor Zion Williams is languishing back at #9, he must be a positively dreadful shooter.
            'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
            - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• sittingon50
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
              Yes. The whole premise of the article is that Seth went 'behind enemy lines' to coaches and assistants inside the leagues that each of the featured teams play in.
              Thanks kitz; don't have a subscription.

So I'm wondering who it was? The 2 former NBA guards that currently occupy the bottom of the WCC standings might be candidates, but seems a bit like hubris to detail all of the Zag's weaknesses when your team gets pounded into the ground every week.
              But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• 23dpg
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I'd like to know when they were asked. It really seems dated the way that both Brandon and Josh are playing. I'd argue that Perkins has won over even his harshest critics on here.
                Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• CDC84
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Another note: this coach is used to coaching against a Josh Perkins who is playing an entirely different role this season compared to the past. He is not being asked to take the big shots or make all the big plays. I also don't think you can say that a guy who is 3rd in the nation in assists is not a point guard.

This is an extremely negative view of a team that is beating WCC teams by 31ppg. I expect some criticism, but WAY more praise. You have to question the source. By reading it, you'd think GU was 7-15.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

It was a really good thing that Few sat the starters just under 8 minutes to go. I'm sure Josh was champing at the bit to up his scoring total in the last few minutes of the game.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                      Another note: this coach is used to coaching against a Josh Perkins who is playing an entirely different role this season compared to the past. He is not being asked to take the big shots or make all the big plays. I also don't think you can say that a guy who is 3rd in the nation in assists is not a point guard.

This is an extremely negative view of a team that is beating WCC completion by 31ppg. You have to question the source. By reading it, you'd think GU was 7-15.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                        • Mar 2008

if this analysis truly came from a coach or assistant coach it becomes VERY apparent to me why this coaches particular team cannot win on a consistent basis.....wonder what their scouting reports look like....
                        The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• CDC84
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

When it comes to Clarke's shooting, the coach maybe referring to his ability to stick 14 and out jumpers, and that WCC teams do not have the muscle to push him out of the post or the areas around the hoop where he is comfy. He's probably not talking about when Clarke is around the basket.

But no BCS team was really able to push him out of the post either. Partly because he is athletic and crafty. And honestly, he hasn't taken enough jumpers in league to really judge whether he is inconsistent or not. That's just something that is based on his days at SJSU.

Comment

• rennis
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2007

I think that's a pretty fair assessment but he's overly critical of Josh. For the most part. He is correct though that the Zags are only going as far as Josh propels them in March. I think that's his point - if Josh has a bad game at the wrong time, we're toast against a great team. We've seen him get sped up in the past, hoping that doesn't happen in the Tournament this year. He's way more mature and confident than he ever was. And having Geno showing significant growth in the backup role is a HUGE help here too.

Clarke has shown chinks in the armor against good defensive teams, which I think could be what the coach is referring to regarding consistency. He played pretty average against UW and San Diego for example. If he's having an off night he tends to short arm those short jump hooks. UNC was able to deny the entry passes to him and he struggled to get rebounds for second chance points in that game. I love the kid but that coach is probably right - if you had the right personnel you can defend B.C., or at least limit his damage in the post.

And he is absolutely right about leaning heavily on Rui. Just look at the game against S.D. Washington even. UNC we tried to lean on him but he had a bad night shooting the ball. It seems to me the guards sometimes default to get Rui the ball and letting him work 1on1. It's super effective in a lot of situations and he's a monster but it isn't foolproof.

So I think it's fair. This team is excellent but each player has weaknesses. Just like every other team.
                            Originally posted by Coach Few
                            We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• MickMick
                              Zag for Life
                              • Apr 2007

A coach said this?
                              I miss Mike Hart

Comment

Working...
                              X