PDA

View Full Version : We're Number 1

GoZags
02-10-2019, 10:11 AM
New NCAA NET rankings as of this morning. Will merge with the Net Rankings thread eventually, but felt this deserved it's own recognition. GoZags

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

Edited to add "Team Sheets" for the ""King of the Hill .... A number one, head of the list, Cream of the crop, Top of the heap" Zags

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats%20Library/NET%20Team%20Sheets%20-%20Games%20through%20Feb.%209,%202019.pdf

Zagceo
02-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Thanks GZ

I'm spreading rumor its a mistake and we're really #11

gueastcoast
02-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Perhaps the cesspool that is the Twitterverse could stand to take notice of this development?

Twitter: a megaphone for morons

DixieZag
02-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Cue the cry about our conference, while ignoring that our conference's relative strength (comparable to Pac 12) is partly why our 30-50 point drubbings are so impressive. We beat SMC who - I believe - has beaten 2 Pac teams, and we beat them by almost 50 points. They were never even in the game, never! It was 11-0 coming out of the gate.

This team is just merciless. I don't know what new wrinkle Few introduced as the "incentive" to get them to play with urgency in each game, but it's genius, and it's new, never had a team this intense in "these-type" of games.

Reborn
02-10-2019, 10:40 AM
We're also #1 on the BPI ranking system. BPI is one that I like to consult.

Go Zags!!!

Outraged
02-10-2019, 11:01 AM
Washington is close to a quad #1. And if BYU moves past 75 we could pick up another. We have a fair chance to see more in quad 1. It dampens the WCC criticism if a couple teams cross that threshold. We have to root for the top few teams.

MontanaCoyote
02-10-2019, 11:22 AM
Realize RPI is “old hat,” but we’re up to #5. We’ve come up from the teens over the last couple of weeks.

Maybe it’s not a factor anymore, but it’s still being posted so maybe it still matters to some degree?

VinnyZag
02-10-2019, 11:24 AM
Also leapfrogged Virginia to No. 2 in kenpom

Malastein
02-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Realize RPI is old hat, but were up to #5. Weve come up from the teens over the last couple of weeks.

Maybe its not a factor anymore, but its still being posted so maybe it still matters to some degree?

Its one of those metrics which will be interesting to look at for at least a few more seasons since it was a major thing for a lot of years.

northsidezagfan
02-10-2019, 01:05 PM
We have to root for the top few teams.

Do we? I mean, if we win out we are gonna be a 1 seed in the West, no matter what BYU, SMC, USF, UNC, Tennessee, or anyone else does. And quite frankly something would have to go horribly wrong for us to not win every game until the NCAA tournament.

Plus it's really fun to root against them.

bartruff1
02-10-2019, 01:13 PM
Perhaps the cesspool that is the Twitterverse could stand to take notice of this development?

Twitter: a megaphone for morons

My opinion exactly...the people that actually make the decisions don't tweet.....cesspool is what I have thought since I first looked in and immediately closed the lid...

MontanaCoyote
02-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Just to make sure it doesn’t get overlooked. Last year’s team (complete season) Kenpom AdjEM 23.03, #10. This years team, to date, 34.97, #2. + 11.94 improvement.

A positive metric in anyone’s book.

Outraged
02-10-2019, 01:50 PM
Do we? I mean, if we win out we are gonna be a 1 seed in the West, no matter what BYU, SMC, USF, UNC, Tennessee, or anyone else does. And quite frankly something would have to go horribly wrong for us to not win every game until the NCAA tournament.

Plus it's really fun to root against them.

Well I guess it's not a requirement. However, it helps our argument. With three teams above PAC 12 it also helps the conference get two bids.

Radbooks
02-10-2019, 02:54 PM
The trick with Twitter is to just follow people you're interested in and don't read the comments. I follow sports people, authors, and a variety of news type people and find it great.

GonzaGAW
02-10-2019, 04:30 PM
-just by memory of who we've played this year, looks like we are 11-2 against the top 100. with 3 more wins in the offing, byu, st. mary and s.d., plus the wcc tourney maybe 2 more.

CDC84
02-11-2019, 02:31 AM
Question: if Gonzaga wins out until the start of March Madness, and they keep dominating teams like they have, do you think anyone can jump them at #1 in the NET rankings, regardless of what occurs with other teams?

There is a Kentucky radio guy who is guaranteeing that his Wildcats will jump Gonzaga in the NET rankings by the end of the league tournaments, even if GU wins all their remaining games.

Before anything games were played on Saturday, UVA was #1, Gonzaga #2 and Duke #3. Despite beating #1 UVA with ease on the road, because of the way that GU destroyed SMC, GU elevated to #1, and Duke went to #2. The Dukies couldn't jump GU.

UK, BTW, has huge home games this week vs. #17 LSU and #4 Tennessee. Again, these are NET rankings.

One thing to note about UK: they have an offensive efficiency rating of 116.3. Gonzaga is at 128.0. That is a mammoth difference. UK is 12 spots ahead of GU in defensive efficiency.

bartruff1
02-11-2019, 06:39 AM
Since they play each other, it is unlikely that both would be seeded above Gonzaga...same with Duke and Virginia … assuming Gonzaga wins out....

As far as tournament success is concerned...… IMHO Gonzaga has a chance to advance regardless of their seed or venue.....what others do at this point is irrelevant ...

Hoopaholic
02-11-2019, 06:56 AM
Question: if Gonzaga wins out until the start of March Madness, and they keep dominating teams like they have, do you think anyone can jump them at #1 in the NET rankings, regardless of what occurs with other teams?

There is a Kentucky radio guy who is guaranteeing that his Wildcats will jump Gonzaga in the NET rankings by the end of the league tournaments, even if GU wins all their remaining games.

Before anything games were played on Saturday, UVA was #1, Gonzaga #2 and Duke #3. Despite beating #1 UVA with ease on the road, because of the way that GU destroyed SMC, GU elevated to #1, and Duke went to #2. The Dukies couldn't jump GU.

UK, BTW, has huge home games this week vs. #17 LSU and #4 Tennessee. Again, these are NET rankings.

One thing to note about UK: they have an offensive efficiency rating of 116.3. Gonzaga is at 128.0. That is a mammoth difference. UK is 12 spots ahead of GU in defensive efficiency.

lots of basketball left

if kentucky beats tennessee twice and does not lose they shoujld be 1 ranking above us IMO

Bogozags
02-11-2019, 07:04 AM
lots of basketball left

if kentucky beats tennessee twice and does not lose they shoujld be 1 ranking above us IMO

AND if that does happen, then they will be the #1 Seed in the South...probably taking UVA's spot in Columbia, SC...the B10 champion (UM or MSU) would most probably take the #1 Seed in the Mid-West in Columbus, OH...

I also think there is a strong possibility that if UNC beats Duke twice and wins the ACC Tournament, then they will grab Dukes #1 Seed in the East...

As hoop states...there is a lot of Bball left before Selection Sunday

Zagceo
02-17-2019, 12:34 PM
New NCAA NET rankings as of this morning. Will merge with the Net Rankings thread eventually, but felt this deserved it's own recognition. GoZags

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

Edited to add "Team Sheets" for the ""King of the Hill .... A number one, head of the list, Cream of the crop, Top of the heap" Zags

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats%20Library/NET%20Team%20Sheets%20-%20Games%20through%20Feb.%209,%202019.pdf

GZ trying to locate updated info....can you help?

RenoZag
02-17-2019, 12:52 PM
Here's a link to the 2/15/19 Team Sheets. . .GU is Page 1

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats%20Library/NET%20Team%20Sheets%20-%20Games%20through%20Feb.%2015,%202019.pdf

Zagceo
02-17-2019, 12:53 PM
Here's a link to the 2/15/19 Team Sheets. . .GU is Page 1

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats%20Library/NET%20Team%20Sheets%20-%20Games%20through%20Feb.%2015,%202019.pdf

thanks Reno...is that a subscription page?

RenoZag
02-17-2019, 12:59 PM
thanks Reno...is that a subscription page?

Not at all. To get to the team sheets, use this link:

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/SitePages/Home.aspx

On the right side of the page, you'll find links to various team sheet archives ( and the so-called "Nitty Gritty" Report often referred to by bracketologists )

Zagceo
02-17-2019, 01:01 PM
Not at all. To get to the team sheets, use this link:

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/SitePages/Home.aspx

On the right side of the page, you'll find links to various team sheet archives

that's what I'm looking for thanks.