PDA

View Full Version : Memphis in a struggle with Richmond

zagster318
11-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Still early, but the game is tied at 46 w/ 14mins to play.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/boxscore;_ylt=AnlsPadkkU3w4MtfbXxbnnjevbYF?gid=200 711060349

spudzag
11-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Appears Dorsey isn't playing for some reason.

zagster318
11-06-2007, 07:16 PM
80-63 Memphis is your final score.

ZagMania
11-06-2007, 07:18 PM
I turn it on and Richmond is up in the middle of the second half and they go on to lose by 17. Naturally I feel responsible for preventing a great upset.

Rubbadub
11-07-2007, 05:33 AM
Dozier (did I spell that right?) is not the most effective low post big man. Richmond was able to drop it down to their 6'8"...maybe 6'7" center for easy buckets several times. It didn't hurt that Gonzalvez was playing like an all-american until the last few minutes. I feel that game would have been much different if Dorsey was in. I believe he has a minor injury and they're keeping him out until bigger fish come to town.

Richmond has a GREAT coach, btw. Memphis showed alot of their weaknesses yesterday and URich did about as best they could to exploit specific things.

1. Slow it downnnnn. Very structured half court offense. Reminiscent of GU v Butler last year...except Memphis won.
2. Have at least 3 people back on inbounds passes. A few times they had two guys out of bounds and wouldn't let Memphis know which was going to pass it in until the last second.
3. I feel to beat Memphis this year, a team MUST have a good ball handler who can beat the press. Gonzalvez looked like a pro bringing the ball up the court in the first half. For some reason in the second half they switched pg duties to that little incompetant guy...and their offense completely disappeared.
4. In the half court Memphis still keeps up the press they employ when defending full court, sometimes bringing two to three defenders to the ball handler. This was easily passed out of for easy buckets.

CDC84
11-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Dorsey injured a shoulder in practice. I would imagine he'll be playing once when the tournament moves to NYC.

Richmond plays a highly disciplined, structured game that controls tempo. Chris Mooney is a disciple of the legendary Princeton coach Pete Carril. They're the kind of team that drives any up tempo team completely nuts....especially one with a freshman PG. Derrick Rose showed some of his youth last night, but he recovered real nicely and led Memphis to the vic.

Personally, I think Memphis' pressure D is better this season. What I like about it is that they recover really well so that the opposition rarely gets easy looks at the basket if they break the press.

pbriz
11-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Derrick Rose. Just awesome. He is gonna take that team very far...