PDA

View Full Version : Any twitterers hear anything from our stud recruits yet?

thespywhozaggedme
02-09-2019, 08:22 PM
What an amazing game for them to be at! Anyone hear anything from them or second hand? Thanks

23dpg
02-09-2019, 08:28 PM
Piggybacking on this thread, feel free to post any epic tweets that you might come across about tonight's game.

Fonebone
02-09-2019, 08:42 PM
Piggybacking on this thread, feel free to post any epic tweets that you might come across about tonight's game.

I was observing them a lot during the game and they both seemed very focused and involved in the game. That is not always the case with recruits that some times play it more cool. Also they interacted a lot with each other after big plays.

cggonzaga
02-09-2019, 10:08 PM
Kennel club chanted at each of them towards end of the game. Both waived at the kennel club with big smiles on their faces!

sittingon50
02-09-2019, 11:42 PM
I was observing them a lot during the game and they both seemed very focused and involved in the game. That is not always the case with recruits that some times play it more cool. Also they interacted a lot with each other after big plays.

Didn't see it the same as you Fone.

Suggs (over on the bench side?) looked to be having a great time, pregame & game.

Strawther (on the KC side?) had his face in his phone more times than not when I glanced over.

ZagNation
02-09-2019, 11:59 PM

Suggs (over on the bench side?) looked to be having a great time, pregame & game.

Strawther (on the KC side?) had his face in his phone more times than not when I glanced over.

You could say that about every kid in America.

TexasZagFan
02-10-2019, 03:56 AM
You could say that about every kid in America.

KC has been noted for phone usage during games. However, they were obviously into it last night.

HenneZag
02-10-2019, 06:22 AM
Suggs looked to be enjoying the game a bit more than Strawther. He was taking several videos during the game. Of course, Strawther is a kid and you cant read into it, I remember Zach Collins looked disinterested when he visited and we know how that ended up.

Zagceo
02-10-2019, 07:15 AM
Strawther re-tweeted highlight video from his last game in which they scored 101 in a beatdown of their own.

thespywhozaggedme
02-10-2019, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys for all of the reports.

zagsfanforlife
02-10-2019, 09:27 AM
Strawther re-tweeted highlight video from his last game in which they scored 101 in a beatdown of their own.

Which means??? Very little.

Zagceo
02-10-2019, 09:32 AM
don't recall anyone mentioning this but could have missed it....

Clarke and Strawther are both Puerto Rican

Zaglaw
02-10-2019, 09:38 AM
I actually saw Strawther seeming to enjoy a lot of the game. He loved the blocks and dunks and reacted to a couple of really sweet passes.

Zagceo
02-10-2019, 09:52 AM
I actually saw Strawther seeming to enjoy a lot of the game. He loved the blocks and dunks and reacted to a couple of really sweet passes.

where was Strawther sitting?

thespywhozaggedme
02-10-2019, 09:52 AM
don't recall anyone mentioning this but could have missed it....

Clarke and Strawther are both Puerto Rican

I knew Strawther was I did not know that about Clark. I thought Clark was half Jamaican.

Zagceo
02-10-2019, 09:54 AM
I knew Strawther was I did not know that about Clark. I thought Clark was half Jamaican.

my bad that's correct Jamaican

Zagceo
02-10-2019, 10:05 AM
impressive slate of offers for Suggs per his twitter feed

https://twitter.com/JalenSuggs2020/media

zagsfanforlife
02-10-2019, 10:15 AM
impressive slate of offers for Suggs per his twitter feed

https://twitter.com/JalenSuggs2020/media

He is the #2 point guard in his class. Pretty much could go wherever he wants to go

Zagceo
02-10-2019, 10:19 AM
He is the #2 point guard in his class. Pretty much could go wherever he wants to go

yeah well he's not getting offers from Ohio State or Nebraska to play basketball is he

thespywhozaggedme
02-10-2019, 11:38 AM
yeah well he's not getting offers from Ohio State or Nebraska to play basketball is he

Those basketball teams would take him in a nanosecond. As I mentioned in another post, he is the ninth rated recruit for 2020. Not the ninth rated point guard, the ninth rated recruit in the entire class. He is McDonald's All-American good.

Zaglaw
02-10-2019, 11:43 AM
where was Strawther sitting?

2 seats over from Suggs - first row under basket at Zags end

Zagceo
02-10-2019, 12:03 PM
2 seats over from Suggs - first row under basket at Zags end

thanks...so Suggs is just out of his seat during this pic

https://media.spokesman.com/photos/2019/02/09/SRX_GUSTMfirst_00_tt_t1140.jpg?abf36d44fcda22a1f70 41162086f31df6a374511

caldwellzag
02-10-2019, 12:37 PM
Both guys had a great time from everything I have been told. Suggs showed it more, but from everything I know about both these guys that is just their personality. Our biggest competition for Suggs? Any program that can offer both football and basketball. Strawther? Washington.

Zagceo
02-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Both guys had a great time from everything I have been told. Suggs showed it more, but from everything I know about both these guys that is just their personality. Our biggest competition for Suggs? Any program that can offer both football and basketball. Strawther? Washington.

Thanks for update

playing D1 Football and Basketball tough

Even if these kids don't commit sure is nice getting them on campus ...its a start

Fonebone
02-10-2019, 01:07 PM

50 I think I saw pretty much what you saw, but took it differently. Suggs looked like a really outgoing kid, smiled a lot etc. I agree on that.

Stawther was much less animated, but like others said, I take that to be personality. I saw 5-10 times he had a big smile, saw him nodding his head several time after one of our bigs did well. I have seen some recruits that literally dont seem to react at all, and are on their phone constantly. He seemed a lot less of that than some. But its all mind reading - an introvert might look disinterested and be bursting at the seams inside, its so hard to tell.

sittingon50
02-10-2019, 02:20 PM
50 I think I saw pretty much what you saw, but took it differently. Suggs looked like a really outgoing kid, smiled a lot etc. I agree on that.

Stawther was much less animated, but like others said, I take that to be personality. I saw 5-10 times he had a big smile, saw him nodding his head several time after one of our bigs did well. I have seen some recruits that literally dont seem to react at all, and are on their phone constantly. He seemed a lot less of that than some. But its all mind reading - an introvert might look disinterested and be bursting at the seams inside, its so hard to tell.

Thanks Fone. Must have just been timing. Was more wrapped up with the dismantling on the court apparently.

Zaglaw
02-11-2019, 01:54 AM

Ok, so there was another big young man sitting 2 seats from Suggs. Anyone know who that was?

thespywhozaggedme
02-11-2019, 05:23 AM
Ok, so there was another big young man sitting 2 seats from Suggs. Anyone know who that was?

Really? Wasn't Oumar Ballo, was it? Real tall African kid. He's supposed to be in next week

thespywhozaggedme
02-11-2019, 05:28 AM
thanks...so Suggs is just out of his seat during this pic

https://media.spokesman.com/photos/2019/02/09/SRX_GUSTMfirst_00_tt_t1140.jpg?abf36d44fcda22a1f70 41162086f31df6a374511

What do you mean by "just out of his seat"? The only recruit I see is the kid with the white sweatshirt and I'm pretty sure that's Julian Strawther.

https://247sports.com/Player/Julian-Strawther-46035981/

thespywhozaggedme
02-11-2019, 05:29 AM
This is Suggs:

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Suggs-45572569/

thespywhozaggedme
02-11-2019, 05:35 AM

Zaglaw, were either of these kids the one that you're talking about:

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Suggs-45572569/

https://247sports.com/Player/Julian-Strawther-46035981/

If not that means that there was a mystery recruit at the game and we have to start a thread about him to figure out who it was.

IowaSERE
02-11-2019, 06:15 AM
Looks like Strawther in the white sweatshirt with the phone. Probably his dad sitting to his left? There is an empty seat next to him with an orange jacket still in the seat, so obviously someone got up and just isn't in the picture

thespywhozaggedme
02-11-2019, 06:34 AM
Looks like Strawther in the white sweatshirt with the phone. Probably his dad sitting to his left? There is an empty seat next to him with an orange jacket still in the seat, so obviously someone got up and just isn't in the picture

Good observation, maybe that was Suggs and he just have to go to the bathroom or get a snack. So who is the "mystery recruit"that another poster was referring to?

amaronizag
02-11-2019, 06:56 AM
Suggs was sitting several seats toward the Zag bench from where Strawther was sitting. Suggs was by the tunnel so his seat is not visible in the above photos.

thespywhozaggedme
02-11-2019, 07:10 AM
Suggs was sitting several seats toward the Zag bench from where Strawther was sitting. Suggs was by the tunnel so his seat is not visible in the above photos.

Hmmm...so it was a mystery recruit in the vacant chair two seats over from Strawther then, huh? So lawzag, just to confirm you did see another recruit sitting in the chair that is vacant in the picture, correct?

Zaglaw
02-11-2019, 07:24 AM
Hmmm...so it was a mystery recruit in the vacant chair two seats over from Strawther then, huh? So lawzag, just to confirm you did see another recruit sitting in the chair that is vacant in the picture, correct?

No, I saw a young man who appeared to be a recruit sitting 2 seats from Suggs. His seat was not in the picture posted. He looked very tall.

thespywhozaggedme
02-11-2019, 07:51 AM
No, I saw a young man who appeared to be a recruit sitting 2 seats from Suggs. His seat was not in the picture posted. He looked very tall.

Ok, now I'm really confused. You're not talking about the vacant seat in the picture, with the orange coat draped over it? That's two seats over from Strawther, the kid in the white hoodie and black track pants. Someone said there was a recruit in that seat and now you're saying there was a recruit next to Suggs as well?

sittingon50
02-11-2019, 07:53 AM
Suggs was 1st seat by the tunnel. To his right was a young lady (girlfriend or sister?). To her left was who I assumed was Suggs dad. Was an adult, unless these old eyes & newer trifocals are failing me big time.

The guy that was occupying the seat next to Mr. Strawther was middle-aged, round & had a shaved head, IIRC.

thespywhozaggedme
02-11-2019, 07:56 AM
Suggs was 1st seat by the tunnel. To his right was a young lady (girlfriend or sister?). To her left was who I assumed was Suggs dad. Was an adult, unless these old eyes & newer trifocals are failing me big time.

The guy that was occupying the seat next to Mr. Strawther was middle-aged, round & had a shaved head, IIRC.

Zaglaw says it was a "young man" and you say it was his dad. ugh

caldwellzag
02-11-2019, 09:48 AM

You are 100% correct on who was sitting next to Mr. Strawther. No mystery recruits in the building this weekend, it was Suggs and Strawther only.

caldwellzag
02-11-2019, 10:21 AM
A little from both Strawther and Suggs Instagram accounts. Thought you would enjoy.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/2?ui=2&ik=27dede7b4d&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r7211197624273553715&th=168ddfbba4ceea5a&view=fimg&realattid=168ddf582dc2c1469301&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ_aZ011eDqLfHpU5l4yQei_MjgboKcQS1acHps k6TOxo0rIklTUzpd5ojm4_i7xXmBpBxwneAlZFspKkZBnuZGvP rkfnDZa8TFyKnh5mDyxxZKvy2mjX9jytlk&ats=2524608000000&sz=w1280-h913

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/2/#inbox/KtbxLvHcNNRrLBRCjlBmWFrnvTSSnkWzvB?projector=1&messagePartId=0.1

thespywhozaggedme
02-11-2019, 10:23 AM
A little from both Strawther and Suggs Instagram accounts. Thought you would enjoy.
Bad links

caldwellzag
02-11-2019, 10:38 AM
I can't get the pictures from Suggs IG to load, but simply put Suggs was at the Kennel alone on Sunday night and took a short video of his time there. Also, he had on his time line a recruiting picture of him and Strawther and their official visit to the Kennel.

Zaglaw
02-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Zaglaw says it was a "young man" and you say it was his dad. ugh

Well, I was at the other end and I have old eyes, so possibly older, but I really didn't think so.

thespywhozaggedme
02-11-2019, 01:15 PM
If there was no mystery recruit why was the mystery recruit thread deleted?

sittingon50
02-11-2019, 02:28 PM
:explode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2xlQaimsGg

Grand Valley Zag
02-11-2019, 02:29 PM

THIS THING GOES ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP!

Bouldin4Prez
02-11-2019, 02:33 PM

Because there is....no mystery recruit?

thespywhozaggedme
02-11-2019, 02:57 PM
Because there is....no mystery recruit?

So who was the third person then? And why not just lock the thread instead of completely delete it? More than one poster said they saw another recruiter sitting next to Suggs. and then when we tried to find out who it was, some speculated that it maybe Watson, the thread got deleted.

basketballzag
02-11-2019, 04:00 PM
So who was the third person then? And why not just lock the thread instead of completely delete it? More than one poster said they saw another recruiter sitting next to Suggs. and then when we tried to find out who it was, some speculated that it maybe Watson, the thread got deleted.

Who are you going to believe Caldwell or your lying eyes? I believe Caldwell that there wasn't a mysterious recruit in the stadium at that time.

BobZag
02-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Who are you going to believe Caldwell or your lying eyes? I believe Caldwell that there wasn't a mysterious recruit in the stadium at that time.

He's right behind the grassy knoll.

basketballzag
02-11-2019, 07:18 PM

For combo guard Jalen Suggs from Minneapolis, Minnesota, and forward Julian Strawther from Henderson, Nevada, the chants were a special feeling.

“It was mad cool, it just shows the amount of love and fan support that they have here,” Suggs said. “For them to chant mine and Julian’s name, we aren’t even on the team. It shows a lot about the culture of this place.”

“It makes you feel different, it makes you feel wanted,” Strawther said. “That is a big factor because if the fans are with me at my school, then obviously I will perform better.”

“Oh man, this was a great time,” Suggs said. “From the moment that I stepped in here just on campus I could tell the vibes were amazing. I talked to the coaching staff, I talked to a lot of the people here, I got to be with the students. I can’t wait to continue building relationships and continuing this process.”

“It was just good to see and the atmosphere here is insane, there is nothing like it that I have been to so far,” Strawther said. “Just watching the guys and how they play, I mean it really fits my play style, so it was good to come out here.”

“Excellent guy, he and along with the rest of the coaching staff, they are real, genuine and you can tell that they care,” Suggs said. “They are not doing it just to recruit, but they want to build a relationship, which I respect a lot.”

Strawther concurred: “He is just a great guy, really genuine and he always keeps it (real) with me and lets me know what I need to work on and that is what I am looking for … I want to be coached and I want to be great.”

“I think I fit in really well just because I can do whatever they need me to,” Suggs said. “I can play defense, I can come score, I can play off the pick-and-roll and I can get the bigs looks which is what their point guards Geno (Crandall) and Josh (Perkins) do really well.”

“Just a lot of versatility and an ability to score at all.

“He is just a team player, he is an elite guard, he gets to the bucket and he finds his teammates,” Strawther said of Harris. “He is really fun to play with, high energy and me and him get along really well.”

“The energy was actually crazy, just the fans and the players and all the fun they were having and the way they were playing and just how into the game they were,” Suggs said. “It’s a special environment here.”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/feb/11/gonzaga-recruits-feel-the-love-during-visit-to-cam/

thespywhozaggedme
02-11-2019, 07:35 PM

"lying eyes"? Where is that anger coming from, and why? I didn't see anything, I wasn't there. Posters reported seeing another recruit sitting very close to Suggs, so I posted a thread about it to try and get to the bottom of it and then all of a sudden the thread disappeared, not locked, but poof, gone. And we're all told to not ask questions and if we do we have "lying eyes".

thespywhozaggedme
02-11-2019, 07:38 PM

Actually, no, we were told that he was sitting very close to Suggs. You yourself threw out the theory that it may have been Watson, but when the thread vanished in thin air, you too now feign offense. This is bizarre.

Gonezagaga
02-11-2019, 09:36 PM
I have a good sight line to that baseline and can say that there were only 2 possible recruits in that row all night. Everybody else would either have to play for the lady Zags or has ‘ aged out’ of having any eligibility left.

HenneZag
02-11-2019, 10:20 PM
2 recruits only.
Suggs was near the Zags bench on the baseline and Strawther was near the kennel club on the baseline. No mystery recruit.

cggonzaga
02-11-2019, 10:45 PM
2 recruits only.
Suggs was near the Zags bench on the baseline and Strawther was near the kennel club on the baseline. No mystery recruit.

I concur. That was all I saw.

caldwellzag
02-12-2019, 06:16 AM

Spy I deleted it because it was irrelevant and we already had threads going on this weekend of recruiting. I can promise you that there was no mystery recruit in the crowd on an official visit that we did not know about.

caldwellzag
02-12-2019, 06:21 AM
Julian will be announcing his top 10 today, I can tell you that this is not going to come as a surprise, but we will be in it. Really he could announce a Top 3 or 4 and we would be in it as well. Julian loves GU and his family love GU, two teams that scare me a little in the process UW and Marquette. Florida schools have interest, but not sure how interested Julian is.

Jalen has a very strong interest in GU and we are probably the leaders right now. Although football is an option GU is the school where he will land if he completely gives up on football. I am confident enough on saying expect some people in the know at 247 to start putting in Crystal Balls on him and GU shortly. Serious interest!

cggonzaga
02-12-2019, 06:45 AM
Julian will be announcing his top 10 today, I can tell you that this is not going to come as a surprise, but we will be in it. Really he could announce a Top 3 or 4 and we would be in it as well. Julian loves GU and his family love GU, two teams that scare me a little in the process UW and Marquette. Florida schools have interest, but not sure how interested Julian is.

Jalen has a very strong interest in GU and we are probably the leaders right now. Although football is an option GU is the school where he will land if he completely gives up on football. I am confident enough on saying expect some people in the know at 247 to start putting in Crystal Balls on him and GU shortly. Serious interest!

Great news!

Bouldin4Prez
02-12-2019, 07:00 AM

Awesome. Hope we land both to go along with Harris. Suggs at the 1, Harris at the 2 and Strawther at the 3 with Timme/Ballo/Watson/Pavel mixing it up down low sounds so so so so nice.

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 07:05 AM
Spy I deleted it because it was irrelevant and we already had threads going on this weekend of recruiting. I can promise you that there was no mystery recruit in the crowd on an official visit that we did not know about.
You could've just locked it, seemed a little overzealous, but whatever. So who did lawzag see sitting near Suggs?

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 07:06 AM
Awesome. Hope we land both to go along with Harris. Suggs at the 1, Harris at the 2 and Strawther at the 3 with Timme/Ballo/Watson/Pavel mixing it up down low sounds so so so so nice.

Sounds like the #1 team in the country in 2021.

former1dog
02-12-2019, 07:08 AM
You could've just locked it, seemed a little overzealous, but whatever. So who did lawzag see sitting near Suggs?

Good grief spy, Lawzag was mistaken. Its really clear that was the case.

There are at least 6 eyewitnesses in the know here refuting the not so clear eyewitness of Lawzag, who wasn't exactly sure what he/she saw.

caldwellzag
02-12-2019, 07:11 AM

I clicked the wrong button, I meant to lock it, but was not paying full attention when I did it. No clue who he saw, I have contacted everyone I know and no one else saw another potential recruit, even on an unofficial visit. I contacted the guys close to the program (who were not at the game) and they said there were only the two scheduled official visits and no one had contacted the athletic department for an unofficial as well.

Zaglaw
02-12-2019, 07:14 AM
Good grief spy, Lawzag was mistaken. Its really clear that was the case.

There are at least 6 eyewitnesses in the know here refuting the not so clear eyewitness of Lawzag, who wasn't exactly sure what he/she saw.

Mea culpa! I regret causing all this consternation. Can we move on? :horse:

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2019, 07:34 AM
I clicked the wrong button, I meant to lock it, but was not paying full attention when I did it. No clue who he saw, I have contacted everyone I know and no one else saw another potential recruit, even on an unofficial visit. I contacted the guys close to the program (who were not at the game) and they said there were only the two scheduled official visits and no one had contacted the athletic department for an unofficial as well.

OK, fair enough.

sittingon50
02-12-2019, 09:03 AM
JFC.

CDC84
02-12-2019, 10:52 AM
It would be great if Gonzaga could get a verbal from Suggs very soon. In today's S-R article, Strawther had some very nice things to say about Dom Harris. It seems like they've played together a bit (are they on the same AAU team?). IF GU can land Suggs, that gives them two elite combo guards. I have to believe that might prompt Strawther to start taking Gonzaga even more seriously. I mean, as a traditional, scoring small forward, imagine all the scoring opportunities he would have with Harris and Suggs alongside him with their passing skills, their ability to get in the lane, etc.

CDC84
02-12-2019, 10:54 AM
Maybe that other recruit was Biggs McGee :)

kitzbuel
02-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Ahhhh, the mystery is solved.

sittingon50
02-12-2019, 11:15 AM

I actually thought that mystery guy was Lebron, but when I saw highlights of him at the Duke/UVA game earlier I didn't think he could beam into McCarthey from there. Could he?