PDA

View Full Version : Do any current students post here? If so, I have a HUGE request for this Saturday

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Our highest ranked recruit ever, pg Jalen Suggs will be at the SMC game Saturday, as will another very highly ranked recruit, sf Julian Strawther. For context, Suggs is the 9th ranked recruit for 2020, not the 9th ranked pg, the 9th ranked recruit in the entire class!!! He is a flat out stud and is Duke good.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Strawther is ranked # 36. We need the students to let them know how much we want them, like the did with Drew. A cool chant of , " We want Jalen" clap clap clapclapclap and "We want Julian" clap clap clapclapclap would be awesome. Let's let these guys know how much we want them to suit up for the Zags!

Vanzagger
02-08-2019, 10:02 AM
Suggs plays for Minnehaha. We gos to land him

hooter73
02-08-2019, 10:40 AM
I too would love to see the Kennel Club get involved, but get creative, the clap clap clapclapclap is the go-to for everyone, set GU apart!

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2019, 11:10 AM
I too would love to see the Kennel Club get involved, but get creative, the clap clap clapclapclap is the go-to for everyone, set GU apart!

Sure whatever. Just let them know how much we want them to become Zags. When BYU was recruiting Jabari parker 20,000 people in the Marriott Center chanted his name in unison. He was duke bound anyway but still that was cool.

23dpg
02-08-2019, 11:24 AM
I honestly don’t think that kind of stuffs influences too much. But what the heck, it doesn’t hurt.
I think what matters more is an energetic and engaged crowd reacting to the game. Also how the HS students see themselves fitting into out system is important.

CDC84
02-08-2019, 11:32 AM
This is no joke....I think GU has a real chance to land Suggs. There is something to be said about a super elite recruit scheduling you as his first official visit, and doing it on the same weekend that another big name recruit, who plays a different position, is also visiting.

The most important thing is for Gonzaga to put on a GREAT performance against St. Mary's, their chief WCC rival. And for the crowd to go nuts. Those kids need to get a great taste of what K2 is all about. And for GU to be good hosts. I am especially thinking of Geno Crandall who I am 98% certain will be hosting Suggs as a fellow Minneapolis native.

sittingon50
02-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Pretty sure K2 will be electric.

Later start (hydration is always important) & ESPN2.

zagitup
02-08-2019, 01:18 PM
I honestly donít think that kind of stuffs influences too much. But what the heck, it doesnít hurt.
I think what matters more is an energetic and engaged crowd reacting to the game. Also how the HS students see themselves fitting into out system is important.

A few years back, I was at Kraziness in the Kennel, sitting a few rows behind Gary Bell Jr and his folks. They were there during his official recruiting visit to GU- the timing was perfect.

The KK started chanting "we want Gary" or something like that, and I remember his eyes being as big as pie plates and looking at his parents with a big smile on his face.

The next day he committed. There's no doubt it influences.

You go Kennel Club! :clap:

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2019, 01:32 PM
A few years back, I was at Kraziness in the Kennel, sitting a few rows behind Gary Bell Jr and his folks. They were there during his official recruiting visit to GU- the timing was perfect.

The KK started chanting "we want Gary" or something like that, and I remember his eyes being as big as pie plates and looking at his parents with a big smile on his face.

The next day he committed. There's no doubt it influences.

You go Kennel Club! :clap:

That's awesome!

krozman
02-08-2019, 04:05 PM
While you young'ins are at it, spell it out in a huge snow sculpture in front of the Kennel.

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2019, 04:26 PM
While you young'ins are at it, spell it out in a huge snow sculpture in front of the Kennel.

That's a cool idea. Pun intended.

Zagger
02-09-2019, 02:22 AM

If the wind at our place early this AM portends even stronger winds later today ..... better get some water on that snow sculpture or it'll blow away.

We'll be getting a 'good' taste of winter over the next 3-4 days. We're 20 miles north of downtown along the Little Spokane River. If our forecast plays out for snow we'll have over a foot on the ground by Wednesday AM - covering a few drifts that will definitely form today.

I hope the warm reception in McCarthy cancels out the winter weather going on outside today. Best thing we might do to land these 2 recruits is to give each a couple Thermoses filled with hot chocolate and a coffee brew of their desire - and hope to heck that weather isn't a big factor in their choice of a school.

Bogozags
02-09-2019, 04:13 AM
If the wind at our place early this AM portends even stronger winds later today ..... better get some water on that snow sculpture or it'll blow away.

We'll be getting a 'good' taste of winter over the next 3-4 days. We're 20 miles north of downtown along the Little Spokane River. If our forecast plays out for snow we'll have over a foot on the ground by Wednesday AM - covering a few drifts that will definitely form today.

I hope the warm reception in McCarthy cancels out the winter weather going on outside today. Best thing we might do to land these 2 recruits is to give each a couple Thermoses filled with hot chocolate and a coffee brew of their desire - and hope to heck that weather isn't a big factor in their choice of a school.

I also hope the KK comes up with something special too! However, he should feel at home with the winter weather as MN has its fair share of snow and cold...lol

I never thought GU going to the FF would have any impact on it's recruiting, maybe things are changing in our favor...10th ranked class for 2019 is a heck of a start!

Besides Suggs, isn't there another recruit that came in yesterday?

sheps001
02-09-2019, 05:31 AM
No offense but I am tired of the one and done types and we've had a few, actually two. They don't help your program develop. Just look at Kentucky. The only thing on their mind is going pro. I'd rather have a good four star type player, the type we actually get. They are committed to the program and to spend at least two or more years here. Can't even begin to tell you how important this is. And it adds stability and continuity to our program which is not present at the Kentucky's and now Duke's of the world. In fact, our program is based upon this. Bringing in a one and done just spreads distension in the ranks, too. We actually thrive on four and five year players, either red shirt or transfer. Just look at Kelly Olynk and the threesome that got us to the finals. So take this kid with a grain of salt and don't be disappointed in the least. He'd be better listening to the siren call of the Duke's and Kentucky's. Just my two cents. Go Zags!!

rennis
02-09-2019, 07:13 AM
No offense but I am tired of the one and done types and we've had a few, actually two. They don't help your program develop. Just look at Kentucky. The only thing on their mind is going pro. I'd rather have a good four star type player, the type we actually get. They are committed to the program and to spend at least two or more years here. Can't even begin to tell you how important this is. And it adds stability and continuity to our program which is not present at the Kentucky's and now Duke's of the world. In fact, our program is based upon this. Bringing in a one and done just spreads distension in the ranks, too. We actually thrive on four and five year players, either red shirt or transfer. Just look at Kelly Olynk and the threesome that got us to the finals. So take this kid with a grain of salt and don't be disappointed in the least. He'd be better listening to the siren call of the Duke's and Kentucky's. Just my two cents. Go Zags!!

My heart agrees with this sentiment but my head says we can't consistently contend for a natty without a couple of those five-star kids on the roster.

thespywhozaggedme
02-09-2019, 07:21 AM
I also hope the KK comes up with something special too! However, he should feel at home with the winter weather as MN has its fair share of snow and cold...lol

I never thought GU going to the FF would have any impact on it's recruiting, maybe things are changing in our favor...10th ranked class for 2019 is a heck of a start!

Yes, Julian Strawther, I posted about him too in the op.

LTownZag
02-09-2019, 07:46 AM
Yes, Julian Strawther, I posted about him too in the op.

Given that most flights into Spokane are/were cancelled this morning, I hope you're right about them arriving yesterday. Otherwise it's more bad news this weekend for GU.

thespywhozaggedme
02-09-2019, 08:59 AM
Given that most flights into Spokane are/were cancelled this morning, I hope you're right about them arriving yesterday. Otherwise it's more bad news this weekend for GU.

I did not say that they arrived yesterday. That was another poster. In the whelping box it was said that they will be arriving this morning.

ZigZagSoCal
02-09-2019, 10:21 AM

Iíd rather have a chance at these recruits and let the coaches work their magic, long-term or short-term. Get Ďem here KK!!!

thespywhozaggedme
02-09-2019, 10:41 AM
Can one of the many "insiders" that poster confirm that the recruits did or did not arrive? Thanks

LocalNative
02-09-2019, 01:56 PM
Can one of the many "insiders" that poster confirm that the recruits did or did not arrive? Thanks

I posted in the whelping box about this, check it out ;)

thespywhozaggedme
02-09-2019, 02:25 PM
I posted in the whelping box about this, check it out ;)

Oh great, thanks for that. I don't do Twitter so did you find out if Suggs made it too? Thanks

Zagsker
02-09-2019, 04:14 PM

You also gotta think this, GU has been in national radar for the past 19 years...kids graduating HS now have only known GU to be a top 10 program

caldwellzag
02-10-2019, 12:48 PM

I would completely disagree with this. Our program is at an entire new level now, top 50 recruits want to come in. Also, very few top 50 recruits are truly one and done type guys. Only one and done (true one and done) we have had was ZC and he was not one and done type when we landed him, he was a 2-3 year guy, but blew up with great coaching. Suggs might be the first one and done type guy we get, but there is reason he is looking at GU and not Duke and Kentucky. Suggs has stated he wants to experience the college life, GU provides that along with amazing coaching. NWG and Clarke will both be one and done guys at GU that put their mark on the program, but both were on campus for 2 years and learned from our system. GU is not a one and done factory and we do not actively recruit one and done players. The 5 star guys that know they should go 2-3 years are drooling to come to GU.

WallaWallaZag
02-10-2019, 04:55 PM
i wouldn't say any are "drooling" to come here, but at least zags are getting in the door on more elite kids now. starts with getting on top 10 top 5 lists and moves to getting in-homes and now to official visits. next step is the hardest one...but zags trending up.

EEzag
02-10-2019, 09:22 PM
i wouldn't say any are "drooling" to come here, but at least zags are getting in the door on more elite kids now. starts with getting on top 10 top 5 lists and moves to getting in-homes and now to official visits. next step is the hardest one...but zags trending up.

GU's recruiting is as diverse as its offense right now. Euros, grad transfers and 5 starrrrrs oh my!
Bring on the next Clarke!

caldwellzag
02-11-2019, 06:24 AM

I have personally talked to a few of these recruits and I will say that "drooling" might have been a little much, but we are definitely a destination these top recruits want to come too. Drew Timme told me that from the first time he stepped foot on campus he felt like Gonzaga was home, but wanted to go through the entire process just to make sure it was right for him. In the end 20+ offers, tons of coaches drooling over him, and guess where he landed nearly year and half after the first visit. It may not be "drooling" but that is a 4/5 star kid with Duke on the radar, Michigan St, Louisville, Arizona, etc and he knew from the start GU was where he wanted to be. I would say we are a lot further along in recruiting than most people actually believe.

ttown0026
02-11-2019, 01:03 PM
Well said Caldwellzag.

In my opinion, GU has taken a big step up in recruiting.

It seems like this program has gone for maybe getting 1 guy from the top 100 to getting 4/5.

Only a matter of time before GU starts landing guys in the top 10, and hopefully Suggs starts it off in 2020...