PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Perkins Cousy Award FINALIST !

sittingon50
02-04-2019, 11:54 AM
https://gozags.com/news/2019/2/4/mens-basketball-perkins-named-to-bob-cousy-award-late-season-list.aspx

TacomaZAG
02-04-2019, 12:22 PM
And rightfully so...............

He's the straw.

Go ZAGS

Zags11
02-04-2019, 12:39 PM
Yes!

zagzilla
02-04-2019, 12:50 PM
Winston and Morant are probably the favorites at this point

sittingon50
02-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Winston and Morant are probably the favorites at this point

Pretty talented list.......

Reborn
02-04-2019, 02:30 PM
Congratulations Josh Perkins. You're totally deserving. You've done an awesome job this year. Keep it up.

Go Zags!!!

CDC84
02-04-2019, 02:39 PM
I remember a lot of talk in the non-conference from analysts about why Perkins wasn't scoring. Well, take away his backup point guard. Ever since Geno has returned, Perks scoring has gone up. 10.9ppg, 45.3%fg, 37.9%3pt, 87.0% ft.

I particularly like that 87.0% ft when it comes to closing out games. Norvell Jr. is at 82.2% ft and Kispert at 90.5% ft.

Best stat for Perkins: 3.5 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.

BobZag
02-04-2019, 03:22 PM
Would like to see Josh get his sharpshooter mojo going, like at the start of 17-18 season.

DixieZag
02-05-2019, 05:00 AM
Would like to see Josh get his sharpshooter mojo going, like at the start of 17-18 season.

I had the same thought.

Gotta be hard though when one is so dialed in focused on running the team. He is the coach on the floor on offense.

Zagger
02-05-2019, 05:54 AM

I believe he very well will do that - especially if he/Few feels the rest of the team needs a spark to get them fired up. There does come a time in some games where a team can get a bit shook up by the opposition doing so well. At that time they need a mood changer. Perks is good enough that he can be that spark to reignite his own team - then dish out the assists and watch them do their magic.

former1dog
02-05-2019, 08:54 AM
Congratulatons to Josh Perkins. I get a real kick out of the respect that Perkins is getting from GUBoards, as we all know that isn't how its always been.

He is a historically (in the GU context) great POINT GUARD and easily Top 5 in the history of the program.

Zagceo
02-13-2019, 05:26 PM
https://i.imgur.com/MRUPOMG.jpg?1

Zagger
02-13-2019, 07:35 PM
Nice bit on Perks here:
https://www.slipperstillfits.com/platform/amp/2019/2/12/18222020/josh-perkins-gonzaga-bulldogs

Mantua
02-13-2019, 09:05 PM
Congrats to the swaggiest point guard ever!

RenoZag
03-04-2019, 03:29 PM
UPDATED March 4, 2019

Gonzaga's Josh Perkins was named one of the five finalists for the 2019 Bob Cousy Point Guard of the Year Award the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced Monday.

Named after Hall of Famer and former Boston Celtic and Holy Cross guard Bob Cousy, the annual honor now in its fourteenth year recognizes the top point guards in men's division one college basketball. A national committee comprised of top college basketball personnel narrowed the original watch list of 20 candidates down to 10 and now the final five.

A national committee of top college basketball personnel determined the watch list of 20 student-athletes in October, which was narrowed to 10 candidates in February and now just five finalists. This month, the finalists will be presented to Mr. Cousy and the Hall of Fame's selection committee. The winner of the 2019 Bob Cousy Point Guard of the Year Award will be determined by a combination of fan votes and input from the Basketball Hall of Fame's selection committee. Fans are encouraged to visit www.HoophallAwards.com to cast their votes March 8-29.

The five finalists for the 2019 Bob Cousy Award are Perkins, Tremont Waters (LSU), Markus Howard (Marquette), Cassius Winston (Michigan State) and Ja Morant (Murray State).

Congratulations !

OZZY
03-04-2019, 03:45 PM
UPDATED March 4, 2019

Gonzaga's Josh Perkins was named one of the five finalists for the 2019 Bob Cousy Point Guard of the Year Award the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced Monday.

Named after Hall of Famer and former Boston Celtic and Holy Cross guard Bob Cousy, the annual honor now in its fourteenth year recognizes the top point guards in men's division one college basketball. A national committee comprised of top college basketball personnel narrowed the original watch list of 20 candidates down to 10 and now the final five.

A national committee of top college basketball personnel determined the watch list of 20 student-athletes in October, which was narrowed to 10 candidates in February and now just five finalists. This month, the finalists will be presented to Mr. Cousy and the Hall of Fame's selection committee. The winner of the 2019 Bob Cousy Point Guard of the Year Award will be determined by a combination of fan votes and input from the Basketball Hall of Fame's selection committee. Fans are encouraged to visit www.HoophallAwards.com to cast their votes March 8-29.

The five finalists for the 2019 Bob Cousy Award are Perkins, Tremont Waters (LSU), Markus Howard (Marquette), Cassius Winston (Michigan State) and Ja Morant (Murray State).

Congratulations !

And to think some on our own board didn't rate him as a point guard......

:)

zagbeliever
03-04-2019, 05:31 PM
Well deserved for Josh! So happy for him.

MickMick
03-04-2019, 05:54 PM
I remember a lot of talk in the non-conference from analysts about why Perkins wasn't scoring. Well, take away his backup point guard. Ever since Geno has returned, Perks scoring has gone up. 10.9ppg, 45.3%fg, 37.9%3pt, 87.0% ft.

I particularly like that 87.0% ft when it comes to closing out games. Norvell Jr. is at 82.2% ft and Kispert at 90.5% ft.

Best stat for Perkins: 3.5 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.

Absolutely correct. Josh can take some light duty as a pseudo combo guard once in awhile. I have always believed, from day one, that Crandall is best deployed WITH Josh as opposed to relieving Josh. It seems that Few has deployed Geno that way as well. Josh is dangerous as a scorer and gives future opponents just one more thing to game plan for.

gueastcoast
03-04-2019, 06:05 PM
This is so cool!

We'll never really know how much his shoulder bothered him at various points during his GU journey. It certainly doesn't seem to be bothering him now!

MontanaCoyote
03-04-2019, 07:00 PM
Do the votes of fans determine the winner or is this another electoral college thing where a committee makes the final call with no requirement that they count or respect the popular vote.

Shem won the popular, fan vote going away for the Senior Class Award two seasons ago but the committee selected (gave it to) someone else.

Bottom line, does our vote for Perks count, as in REALLY count?

sittingon50
03-04-2019, 08:20 PM
Congrats Josh.

:clap:

MDABE80
03-04-2019, 08:28 PM
iT'S A VERY HIGH HONOR. Hope he wins it as he belongs in this group. Few know it but he's had a sensational year. The value of a skilled senior running the show can hardly be measured. I how his sharpshooter ways return. We really need that to make a FF.

NotoriousZ
03-04-2019, 08:35 PM
It’s been an amazing season and a fantastic career...great job Josh!