• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Bracketology: Lunardi says...

Zags will be the 4th 1 seed (West) in his next (2/5/19) bracket.

The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • 23dpg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
    Zags will be the 4th 1 seed (West) in his next (2/5/19) bracket.

Jerry Palm (no friend of the little guys) from CBS has the same thing.

Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• Zagsker
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post
      Jerry Palm (no friend of the little guys) from CBS has the same thing.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ga-a-new-no-1/
      How, as the 4th 1 seed, would we play the winner of one the 16 seed play in games? You would think those last 4 16 seeds are seeded lower than the 16 seeds in the field thus the winners would play the 1st and 2nd ranked 1 seeds...and while Im on the subject, why are not all play in games just 16 seeds?
      I am working on being a more all around square.

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagsker View Post
        How, as the 4th 1 seed, would we play the winner of one the 16 seed play in games? You would think those last 4 16 seeds are seeded lower than the 16 seeds in the field thus the winners would play the 1st and 2nd ranked 1 seeds...and while Im on the subject, why are not all play in games just 16 seeds?
        as in all things ncaa...it comes down to money. 16 v 16 games don't generate viewership...2 middle of the road p5 teams as 11 seeds could be indiana vs. arizona or something like that.

Comment

• MDABE80
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

We keep winning, I'm predicting ( old news I guess) Zags will be on the top line and be a no 1 heading to the NCAA tourney. Seems to me Kentucky's moving up quicker as the crook's got his team moving. Nova's moving up too. I still think the wide margin on victory and a defense that's coming along AND with likely losses of the teams above us, we'll be no 1 within this next few weeks. I really hope Tillie gets his game back. When he's well, he adds much. Right now though, so many fouls, middlin defense, low scoring and so on, he's a little help but nothing like we'd hoped. Although he's not getting lots of court time, Crandall gives us a solid period of time.

I'm smelling playoffs 1 month early and 6 weeks from selection Sunday.

Comment

• RenoZag
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

. . .why are not all play in games just 16 seeds?
            Because they aren't the bottom 8 teams (out of 68 that make the field):

The games are contested between teams holding the four lowest seeded automatic bids and the four lowest seeded at-large bids.

The teams are not normally the eight lowest-ranked teams in the field; the four lowest-ranked at-large teams usually have higher rankings among the entire field of 68 than several of the automatic-bid teams coming from the smaller conferences. The four games are held to determine which teams will assume a place in the first round. Unlike other early games in the tournament, the teams are not matched with disparity intended. Rather, equality governs match-ups (e.g., in one game, two teams—usually two of the four lowest-ranked automatic-bid teams—might play for a No. 16 seeding in the first round, while in another game, two teams—usually two of the four lowest-ranked at-large teams—are usually trying to advance as a No. 11 seed).
            Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Four
            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Zagceo
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
              We keep winning, I'm predicting ( old news I guess) Zags will be on the top line and be a no 1 heading to the NCAA tourney. Seems to me Kentucky's moving up quicker as the crook's got his team moving. Nova's moving up too. I still think the wide margin on victory and a defense that's coming along AND with likely losses of the teams above us, we'll be no 1 within this next few weeks. I really hope Tillie gets his game back. When he's well, he adds much. Right now though, so many fouls, middlin defense, low scoring and so on, he's a little help but nothing like we'd hoped. Although he's not getting lots of court time, Crandall gives us a solid period of time.

I'm smelling playoffs 1 month early and 6 weeks from selection Sunday.
              rankings/rating aren't all about losses. quality wins and strength of schedule

1 Virginia ACC 20-1 1 1 1 6-1 32 139
              2 Duke ACC 19-2 2 1 2 8-2 12 12
              3 Tennessee SEC 20-1 3 1 3 4-1 60 83
              4 Michigan Big Ten 20-2 4 1 4 6-2 35 189
              5 Michigan State Big Ten 18-4 5 2 5 8-4 3 23
              6 North Carolina ACC 17-4 6 2 6 5-4 5 8
              7 Kansas Big 12 17-5 7 2 7 11-3 1 2
              8 Gonzaga WCC 21-2 8 2 8 3-2 83 38

View the 2023-24 Resume Men's College Basketball power index on ESPN. The BPI is the best predictor of a team's performance of the season.

Comment

• bartruff1
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2010

The rest of the story in that same Power Index at ESPN has Gonzaga in the top three in the other rating categories ….including Offense BPI....Projections ….and Tournament.....

But they are just numbers like all the other numbers....just keep sawing wood....
                Last edited by bartruff1; 02-03-2019, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• MDABE80
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

No matter then numbers and the “likes” we still have to win lots more games. These indices Rankings Etc probably. Dictate performance and to a degree, talent. Major deal never really addressed arenthe matchups of players. The data, offense and defense show some things to point to but it’s the man to man type matchups that matter. Something to keep n mind.

BZs question was more about how a program is managed which leads to the quality of any given program. Nova is good. Not storied but good enough as a model. As things have developed n Spokane, and for many reasons. GU has had to develop it own program. So what’s best is kind of nknown. A winning tradition is one we want while suffering. O NCAA issues. We kind of are what we are way out west here.
                  Latecomers we are. Should we win like Duke? We do. Should we win like Nova? We do that too. We need titles. Since we are newcomers to the rarified levels, were going to have to iron out our own progrM and our own futures. Just keep winning. The rest will show up. Ps I’m on my phone w o glasses. I’ll fix it later!
                  Last edited by MDABE80; 02-04-2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• kdaleb
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

It is probably a schedule thing. If the other #1 seeds are all at Thu/Sat pods and we're the only #1 at a Fri/Sun pod, then we'd get the #16 that played on Wednesday.

There's also the possibility of geography playing a part. If the other #16's are east coast teams, they'd try to keep them closer to home if possible.

Comment

• rennis
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

How Gonzaga's non-conferece SOS is #38 while having played 43% of the other #1 and #2 teams in that chart blows my mind
                      Originally posted by Coach Few
                      We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                        Zag for Life
                        • May 2008

To be honest, I don't really care if we are 1 seed or a 2 seed, I care more about being out West. Let's just win out and let the chips fall where they fall.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                          Zag for Life
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by rennis View Post
                          How Gonzaga's non-conferece SOS is #38 while having played 43% of the other #1 and #2 teams in that chart blows my mind
                          We also had a nice chunk of sub 200 teams on the OOC.

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
                            To be honest, I don't really care if we are 1 seed or a 2 seed, I care more about being out West. Let's just win out and let the chips fall where they fall.
                            This! I don’t think we can afford to lose ANY games on the way to the dance and expect a #1 seed, maybe even a #2. A Zag loss in any one of our remaining league or league tournament games would set us back ( in the polls, ratings and seeding) to a much greater extent that any (or almost any) Duke, Virginia or Tennessee loss would set them back. Virginia losing to Duke @ Duke is one thing. The Zag’s losing to U San Diego @ San Diego quite another.

Despite our ascension into basketball royalty, our “margin of error/benefit of the doubt quotient” (fair or not) just isn’t there with the mainstream press, analysts, pollsters et al. Perception is reality and no matter how good the Zags are, playing in
                            the WCC throws shade on the result. Just the way it is.

Win Out. Period, Bottom Line!

Comment

• CDC84
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
                              as in all things ncaa...it comes down to money. 16 v 16 games don't generate viewership...2 middle of the road p5 teams as 11 seeds could be indiana vs. arizona or something like that.
                              Also, there were a TON of college basketball fans who felt it was unfair, once the play in game started, that low majors were in it exclusively. They won their conference tourneys. They got their auto bid. Why should they be subjected to the play in game when every season we have 4 to 6 teams in the field - usually from power conferences - who have zero business being in the tourney.....but the committee has to fill the spots. A classic example being Oklahoma from last year, a team who didn't win a single road game in 2018. This makes things a little more fair, while at the same time setting up possible matchups, as Walla says, between big time programs who have had down years. I know a couple of people who still feel the four play in games should all involve at large teams. That it is not right to stick it to the SWAC champ whose first 14 games are played on the road in order to attain program revenue. They got an auto bid, they should be in the field of 64, period.

One thing to keep in mind.......the play in games are played in Dayton, Ohio. The committee tries to position the play in game winners on the bracket so that they don't have to travel very far for their next game.

Comment

Working...
                              X