PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Will we lose a conference game this year?

thespywhozaggedme
02-01-2019, 08:03 AM
We seem to be getting even stronger in conference and the talent gap is enormous despite some league members improving. I've been on record for a while now that we'll run the table and see no evidence to make me think otherwise. What say you?

Zagceo
02-01-2019, 08:05 AM
We shouldn’t lose another conference game next year either. :lmao:

Bold early pridiction

thespywhozaggedme
02-01-2019, 08:07 AM

Bold early pridiction

I have no idea what our team will look like next year. I'm so intrigued.

thespywhozaggedme
02-01-2019, 08:07 AM

Bold early pridiction

you didn't vote, btw

Zagceo
02-01-2019, 08:09 AM
you didn't vote, btw

i did.

scrooner
02-01-2019, 08:12 AM
I'm not voting because I've grown weary of the question. Can't we just enjoy the season one game at a time without you repeating this over and over again?

thespywhozaggedme
02-01-2019, 08:13 AM
I'm not voting because I've grown weary of the question. Can't we just enjoy the season one game at a time without you repeating this over and over again?

"Hey you kids, get off my lawn". lol P.S. Whoever forced you to open the thread and post in it should be banned.

zag67
02-01-2019, 08:17 AM
I do agree on this year but, I am not going to agree on next year. We are going to be young and will have some problems with away games. Also one major injury would also add to our woes.

We hopefully will have Zach, Kispert, Fillip, Ayayi, and Foster with experience.

Yes we have many super players coming in, but seeing them working as a team might take some time. But I do think by tournament time they will be strong.

LongIslandZagFan
02-01-2019, 08:21 AM
Go back a few weeks... I'd have voted differently. After last night's game. Gonna say... Nope... don't see it happening.

Zagceo
02-01-2019, 08:22 AM
Gonzaga: Since the start of conference play, Gonzaga has played like a team poised to be a Final Four contender. There's a distinct chance the Bulldogs could run the table in the WCC for the first time since the 2012-13 season.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401083618

LongIslandZagFan
02-01-2019, 08:24 AM
BYU at the Kennel is the only one that could throw a wrench. They play really well there for Lord knows what reason.

thespywhozaggedme
02-01-2019, 08:29 AM
Go back a few weeks... I'd have voted differently. After last night's game. Gonna say... Nope... don't see it happening.

Thank you for your honesty and integrity.

thespywhozaggedme
02-01-2019, 08:32 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401083618

From your link:

In seven league games, the Bulldogs are winning by 31 points per contest.

That's insane!

Ezag
02-01-2019, 08:33 AM
The WCC improved? I know the stats say so but to the eye doesn't appear so

thespywhozaggedme
02-01-2019, 08:35 AM

I think it's the fact that this team is so freakin' good. It skews the perspective.

former1dog
02-01-2019, 08:38 AM
I think it's the fact that this team is so freakin' good. It skews the perspective.

I think what seems to be going on is that since the UNC game, Coach Few has really challenged the team to improve on defense. Couple that with the return of Crandall and Tillie and this team is on a mission to become a great defensive squad while not sacrificing the offensive efficiency. Our WCC opponents are suffering the wrath of that coaching emphasis and excellent execution by the team.

kitzbuel
02-01-2019, 08:49 AM
Rose said... "We got the ball up on the rim and it seemed to fall off early. That's the kind of thing that hurt our confidence."

Isn't that commonly referred to as missing?

Zagceo
02-01-2019, 08:54 AM

some coaches now giving out stars for hitting the rim when playing Zags...gotta find the Pony )

how bout that shot by BYU that hit the top of the backboard and almost went in..that should have been worth almost 4 points

zagray
02-01-2019, 08:57 AM
The talent disparity is historic this year. The difference is this Zag addition has a great attitude, they seem eager to learn and improve every week. Tillie and Crandall are relentlessly working to get back up to their top form, I think that is helping to push everyone else up a notch, practices must be filled with plenty of energy and intensity. This team seams to have no ego, just a workman like lunch box toting buzz saw!

LongIslandZagFan
02-01-2019, 09:00 AM
I think what seems to be going on is that since the UNC game, Coach Few has really challenged the team to improve on defense. Couple that with the return of Crandall and Tillie and this team is on a mission to become a great defensive squad while not sacrificing the offensive efficiency. Our WCC opponents are suffering the wrath of that coaching emphasis and excellent execution by the team.

This exactly. I have felt that after UNC something changed with this team. Roy likely wouldn't want a rematch right now.

thespywhozaggedme
02-01-2019, 09:01 AM

Ha! If Rose were a baseball coach, "Our hitters were swinging at the ball and came really close, they just couldn't make contact".

SorenTodd45
02-01-2019, 09:02 AM
Of course I voted no. The talent level between us and them is as wide as the Grand Canyon. The USF game seemed to wake us up and now we are just clobbering every other WCC team, night in and night out. Doesn't even seem to matter anymore if it's a home or road game.

thespywhozaggedme
02-01-2019, 09:02 AM
So one poster did vote yes, we're still gonna lose a game. I wish they had posted which game they think that it will be.

thespywhozaggedme
02-01-2019, 09:03 AM
Of course I voted no. The talent level between us and them is as wide as the Grand Canyon. The USF game seemed to wake us up and now we are just clobbering every other WCC team, night in and night out. Doesn't even seem to matter anymore if it's a home or road game.

Yup, did you see the quote from the ESPN article several posts up? We're beating our conference foes by 31 ppg!!!

former1dog
02-01-2019, 09:04 AM
Yup, did you see the quote from the ESPN article several posts up? We're beating our conference foes by 31 ppg!!!

What's the record?

thespywhozaggedme
02-01-2019, 09:07 AM
What's the record?

For largest spread? I don't know.

thespywhozaggedme
02-01-2019, 09:07 AM
So far 2 posters voted that we'll lose a conference game, but they didn't say against who.

23dpg
02-01-2019, 10:22 AM

The WCC is definitely better but the second best team in the WCC is not. There is no fringe top 25 team this year like there have been many years past.
The number one team is as good or better. The number 2 team is down. The teams 3-7 are better. Hopefully next year all those teams continue to improve.

bartruff1
02-01-2019, 11:45 AM
After Maui and seeing what Clarke brought to the team...I could not imagine them losing in the WCC....still can't ….

zagfan24
02-01-2019, 12:15 PM
So far 2 posters voted that we'll lose a conference game, but they didn't say against who.

Statistically, you can think that the Zags will win each individual game and also believe that they will lose one of them.

To put it another way, I would never predict that Derek Raivio was going to miss any given free throw. But I would guess he'd miss at least one each season. That doesn't mean I can tell you which one.

FWIW, I don't think they'll lose at this point. But I do think reasonable minds can disagree.

Grand Valley Zag
02-01-2019, 01:59 PM
Raivio free throws are a good analogy to explain that.

Or like getting green in roulette. Spin it a hundred times and I bet you're going to get green a couple of spins, even though it's very unlikely on any given spin.

I also think we will win out, though it's not a sure thing.

Raivio FTs are a better analogy.

LongIslandZagFan
02-01-2019, 02:08 PM
But in the end it is opinion... so year... not sure thing. But hey... if I am betting money on whether someone is making a FT... it would be on D-Rav and not JWill3.

MDABE80
02-01-2019, 02:17 PM
Asked and answered like 10 times. We RUN the table! No 1 seed and no1 ranking. Period.

LongIslandZagFan
02-01-2019, 02:19 PM
Asked and answered like 10 times. We RUN the table! No 1 seed and no1 ranking. Period.

Honestly, I'd bet the Zags end up a 2 seed... highest 2... but a 2. Why? Because it is the NCAA and I have little faith in them.

kitzbuel
02-01-2019, 02:25 PM
Raivio free throws are a good analogy to explain that.

Or like getting green in roulette. Spin it a hundred times and I bet you're going to get green a couple of spins, even though it's very unlikely on any given spin.

I also think we will win out, though it's not a sure thing.

Raivio FTs are a better analogy.Given GUs performance against the spread in conference this season, I would pick GU to cover every single remaining game this season. I would definitely not pick them to win out for the season, but I would be inclined to pick them to win out in conference.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

thespywhozaggedme
02-07-2019, 08:01 PM
Bump after a ho-hum 30 point win over a team which many thought would give us our toughest game left on the season.

Mantua
02-07-2019, 10:25 PM
Bump after a ho-hum 30 point win over a team which many thought would give us our toughest game left on the season.

My money is on USD at home to give us our toughest game.

ZagzKrak
02-07-2019, 11:12 PM
If we go by Kenpom then SMC is still the 2nd best team in the WCC.....still got 2 against them.

TheZagPhish
02-07-2019, 11:47 PM

Ditto.

Zagger
02-08-2019, 04:35 AM

You can only have Brandon swatting your shots so often that you just give up :)

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2019, 06:54 AM
You can only have Brandon swatting your shots so often that you just give up :)

There is actually truth in that humor. I was thinking about that last night as I watched the game, it demoralizes the opposition.

maynard g krebs
02-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Teamrankings.com had the Zags at about 78% to win at SMC last week. Probably a bit higher now, but still a tougher game on paper than BYU on senior night 2 years ago.

jpn17
02-08-2019, 07:44 PM

That's my thought as well. If GU wins at the Slim Gym, they will go undefeated in conference. I know Gonzaga has had issues with BYU at home in recent years, but this year's BYU team is their worst in awhile and they will not win in Spokane this year.

RenoZag
02-08-2019, 08:04 PM
The Zags' toughest conference games will be the two teams they have to beat for a third time in one season at the post-season tournament in Las Vegas.

Whoever they are, they will have a pretty good understanding of how high a bar they have to clear to contend, to compete, to keep the game competitive and within reach heading into the last five minutes.

It can't be a 12-15 point comeback in the final ten minutes of play. Zags don't appear vulnerable with that kind of lead right now. They're pretty damn good.

If a WCC foe is to take out the Zags and reverse their current losing streak, they'll have to win a patient, low turnover, low possession game decided in the final minute.

(. . . he thought, before hitting 'Reply'. . .)

zagbeliever
02-08-2019, 09:26 PM
I can not bring myself to vote. Afraid of jinxing us . 😂

Mantua
02-08-2019, 09:28 PM
BYU still has to play USD twice. I’ll be watching those games.

...Of course you are right, Reno.

jpn17
02-08-2019, 09:51 PM
The Zags' toughest conference games will be the two teams they have to beat for a third time in one season at the post-season tournament in Las Vegas.

Whoever they are, they will have a pretty good understanding of how high a bar they have to cross to contend, to compete, to keep the game competitive and within reach heading into the last five minutes.

It can't be a 12-15 point comeback in the final ten minutes of play. Zags don't appear vulnerable with that kind of lead right now. They're pretty damn good.

If a WCC foe is to take out the Zags and reverse their current losing streak, they'll have to win a patient, low turnover, low possession game decided in the final minute.

(he thought, before hitting 'Reply'. . .)

Not really sure I agree with your first point. I know that's the adage, but I don't believe it applies in all situations. For example, can you really say GU's 3rd games against USF and BYU in the WCC tournament last year were their most difficult? However, I completely agree with everything else.

Zagceo
02-10-2019, 07:02 AM
How bout now?

raise the zag
02-10-2019, 07:34 AM
I suspect next Saturday's game will be our closest of the WCC season.

San Diego is a decent match-up for us, given their scoring hybrid forwards, and athletic, strong guards.

bartruff1
02-10-2019, 07:46 AM
Has Few ever lost a game in Vegas WCC Tournament ??? I am under the impression that he routinely beats the best WCC teams 3 times ….

TexasZagFan
02-10-2019, 08:37 AM
I suspect next Saturday's game will be our closest of the WCC season.

San Diego is a decent match-up for us, given their scoring hybrid forwards, and athletic, strong guards.

Agree, though Gaels will be out for blood, and McKeon will be electric.

Birddog
02-10-2019, 09:04 AM

I think you're mistaking high humidity and the smell of sweat with electricity.

Zagceo
02-10-2019, 09:12 AM

careful sure sounds like a room in San Quentin down the road from Moraga

RenoZag
02-10-2019, 10:04 AM
Has Few ever lost a game in Vegas WCC Tournament ??? I am under the impression that he routinely beats the best WCC teams 3 times ….

Yes.
2010 81-62, SMC ( Mickey McConnell )

2012: 78 - 74 (OT) SMC ( Dellavedova )

RenoZag
02-10-2019, 10:06 AM
How bout now?

Doesn't seem very likely, does it ? Zags would have to play a C minus game and the opposition would probably need an A plus effort.

That curb stomping of the Gaels last night was mighty impressive.

sittingon50
02-10-2019, 11:34 AM
For the 1st time this year, kenpom's model now predicting 16-0.

Bogozags
02-10-2019, 12:22 PM

I agree completely...USD will be up and ready for us upon arrival...we will have to be at our very best because (outside of SCU) home teams play us tougher...I think this will be a nail bitter...single digits decided in the last two minutes...This is what I believe...

However, I'm hoping we play another super game on defence, limit our TO's and shoot the ball well too!

I also think UOP will be a tough nut in Stockton, because for some reason, each player becomes about two-three inches taller and then they rebound and shoot better...their play is so deliberate that they limit opponents to an average of 52 shots per game and we average 65 attempts per game...I just worry about their slow play...if they have a good shooting night the game could be close as they only shoot it 51 times at home...

bartruff1
02-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Yes.
2010 81-62, SMC ( Mickey McConnell )

2012: 78 - 74 (OT) SMC ( Dellavedova )

Thanks....

MontanaCoyote
02-10-2019, 03:21 PM
Yep, we’re ridin’ high but we can’t afford a loss,* which means we can’t afford a let down, which means we can’t get too full of ourselves, which means we can’t succumb to the comforts and accolades of our virtually unchallenged success.

If we’re mentally prepared for the next two games our superior talent will prevail. It’s all about the “head game” next week.

* We can find all the motivation we need (I think) by acknowledging what would happen to our seeding if we lost to either LMU or USD. We would pay a big price for either of these losses because they would be viewed as bad losses by the pollsters and analysts.

RenoZag
02-10-2019, 04:04 PM
* We can find all the motivation we need (I think) by acknowledging what would happen to our seeding if we lost to either LMU or USD. We would pay a big price for either of these losses because they would be viewed as bad losses by the pollsters and analysts.

Great point. Look at the way Nevada is being pounded for their loss -- in conference -- to a woeful New Mexico squad. Granted, the Lobos dusted the Wolfpack by 27, but it's their only blemish on the W-L record and they have otherwise been a solid team. I don't think UNR is a 4 seed, but that one loss hangs around their neck like an albatross from an 18th Century poem. . .

bartruff1
02-10-2019, 04:10 PM
A loss would mean a plunge in the ranking and seeding...but....in the end...it is not the end...

MontanaCoyote
02-10-2019, 05:28 PM
Great point. Look at the way Nevada is being pounded for their loss -- in conference -- to a woeful New Mexico squad. Granted, the Lobos dusted the Wolfpack by 27, but it's their only blemish on the W-L record and they have otherwise been a solid team. I don't think UNR is a 4 seed, but that one loss hangs around their neck like an albatross from an 18th Century poem. . .

................”like an albatross from an 18th Century poem......”. Whoa! Great line and man, that IS a heavy load!

BobZag
02-10-2019, 05:31 PM
"More Cowbell" since I have no idea.

RenoZag
02-14-2019, 10:55 PM

Bump after a not so routine game on the road. . .they still might win 'em all, but they showed they were gettable tonight. . .

Zagceo
02-14-2019, 10:58 PM
Game was never in doubt.

We under performed they over performed. Still won by 10+ on the road.

Good nerve test.

thespywhozaggedme
02-14-2019, 11:04 PM
Bump after a not so routine game on the road. . .they still might win 'em all, but they showed they were gettable tonight. . .

Don’t agree. Played against a team with two skilled bigs that for the first time gave BC some trouble, both of our pg’s were sleep walking through the game and we still won by 13. BYU just beat USD in SD

RenoZag
02-14-2019, 11:06 PM
Good nerve test.

It shows they can win a slower-paced grinder.

Zags were only up by 2 with just under 5 minutes to play. . .I had my doubts

thespywhozaggedme
02-14-2019, 11:12 PM
It shows they can win a slower-paced grinder.

Zags were only up by 2 with just under 5 minutes to play. . .I had my doubts

As much of a spazzy lunatic that I am, I was peaceful and said to myself, “plenty of time to stretch the lead”. In the end talent won out

WallaWallaZag
02-15-2019, 12:46 AM
if zags play like this @ usd they will lose...but i'm not really worried about that happening. expecting a bounce back...but still might be close because usd seems to match up pretty well with zags.

TravelinZag
02-15-2019, 07:29 AM
Wake up calls are always helpful, especially when responded to immediately.

thespywhozaggedme
02-15-2019, 08:09 AM
if zags play like this @ usd they will lose...but i'm not really worried about that happening. expecting a bounce back...but still might be close because usd seems to match up pretty well with zags.

Normally I would agree with you but as exhibited last night the other team can play their best game, we can play our C game and we still win by double digits. We are just so much better talent wise then everyone else in our conference. Plus BYU won at San Diego last night.

MontanaCoyote
02-15-2019, 08:39 AM
Wake up calls are always helpful, especially when responded to immediately.

I think this game was a wake up call. As Reno Zag posted, it DID, or at least SHOULD have show that the Zags are “gettable.”

Just because they “didn’t get got” doesn’t mean they COULDN’T be. A real “teachable moment” as they say. And if the lesson’s learned, a real motivator, too.

thespywhozaggedme
02-23-2019, 09:44 PM
Anyone not vote yet that wanted to?

thespywhozaggedme
03-02-2019, 09:04 PM
And the answer is...…………..NO, we will not! 16-0 in the WCC!

Zagceo
03-02-2019, 10:23 PM
Happy for Zag team. Did it in the face of no competition. Not easy to stay focused when you end up beating every team by double digits.

the reaction of fans says it all imo.....ho hum.

rennis
03-03-2019, 11:09 AM
Glad this debate is over and glad I was on the winning team [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonzagafan62
03-12-2019, 07:32 PM
Welp

Ezag
03-12-2019, 07:41 PM
gulp!

gonzagafan62
03-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Let’s stop making this thread every year

Thx

soccerdud
03-12-2019, 08:36 PM

Thx

+1

thespywhozaggedme
03-12-2019, 09:04 PM

Thx

Hahaha, yes because what we post has so much influence on what takes place on the court. We were a 20 point favorite tonight. Next year will be our first rebuilding year in forever so need to worry about this thread popping up

gonzagafan62
03-12-2019, 10:13 PM
Hahaha, yes because what we post has so much influence on what takes place on the court. We were a 20 point favorite tonight. Next year will be our first rebuilding year in forever so need to worry about this thread popping up

No you seem confident every single year that we’ll win out, but you can’t take a slice of humble pie. Learn for a change.

RenoZag
03-13-2019, 05:00 AM

Whoever they are, they will have a pretty good understanding of how high a bar they have to clear to contend, to compete, to keep the game competitive and within reach heading into the last five minutes.

(. . . he thought, before hitting 'Reply'. . .)

It's all my fault, though for the record, I voted for "More cowbell."

thespywhozaggedme
03-13-2019, 07:31 AM
No you seem confident every single year that we’ll win out, but you can’t take a slice of humble pie. Learn for a change.

What do you mean "humble pie"? I didn't play the game, I like you am just a dorky fan posting on a message board about young men trying to put a ball through a hoop. What we say has zero bearing on what takes place on the court, how difficult is that to understand? I'm not getting what you're not getting. But as I mentioned, next year I expect numerous losses, maybe as many as 10, so this thread won't appear, but stop taking everything so seriously, it's just a game.

gonzagafan62
03-13-2019, 09:00 AM
What do you mean "humble pie"? I didn't play the game, I like you am just a dorky fan posting on a message board about young men trying to put a ball through a hoop. What we say has zero bearing on what takes place on the court, how difficult is that to understand? I'm not getting what you're not getting. But as I mentioned, next year I expect numerous losses, maybe as many as 10, so this thread won't appear, but stop taking everything so seriously, it's just a game.

You keyboard warrior you! Good for you.

TheZagPhish
03-13-2019, 10:31 AM
...I voted for "More cowbell."

Same. Cheers!