PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-BYU

Section 116
01-31-2019, 09:22 PM
Hudson and Morrison: Another dominating performance as the Zags win 93-63. Undefeated in WCC conference, they win by 59 at SCU and 30 on the road. BYU went out to the 3-0 lead but the Zags went on a 17-2 run and the game stayed pretty much like that the rest of the game as the Zags led by as many as 32 points. GU shoots 58-7% for the game holding BYU to 37%. BC 23 and 9, Rui 20, Kispert 16 and Norvell 12. I think Hudson said the Zags shot 68% in the second half. GU did a masterful job on Childs holding him to three field goals on 3-11 shooting and 5 free throws and 1-3 from three for 12 points. Haws had 16. Bulldogs started really pulling away at about the 9 minute mark. Clarke came into the game as the nations leading shooter at 69% and didn't hurt that tonight as he went 10-13 from the floor. Perkins had 10 assists and only 2 TO's tonight. GU had 50 points in the paint tonight and their defensive efficiency was off the charts tonight as it has been for much of the season. There's been a lot of talk about the numbers Childs has been putting up but Clarke really took it to heart and played with a chip on his shoulder tonight as he totally outplayed Childs. Kispert has been coming along nicely the last several games he finishes with 16, 5 rebound and 1 each assist, steal and block. GU outrebounds BYU 41-31 and shoot 50% from three at 10-20. BYU 6-21 from three. Rui and BC 18-26 tonight with 18 rebounds. Haws had only 4 points in the first half and got the bulk of his 16 when the game was well decided.

Michaelson: It was a great night overall, winning by 30 in this building is a tough thing to do. After those 4 TO's in the first 4 minutes we really settled in. Childs is a great player but we really challenged Rui and BC who were really efficient we got a ton of fouls in BYU's bigs. Kispert has been shooting great and he's been shooting great in practice and tonight he had to really nice drives to the basket and he just gets overshadowed by our other guys. The way Perkins sets the table for our guys is just spectacular. 10 assists and only 2 TO's is just great basketball. It was just a really, really good jobs by all our guys. USD in coming in now and they will have their full roster with Carter back on Saturday and they are a unique team in the way they play. Ours guys are going to have to play really really well on our homestand and they know that. That's it.

Crandall: Our focus is getting better every day in practice. Our focus had really been on ourselves. Of course we do prepare for the other teams. We have had a really mature focus on the games. I feel better about where I am now since the injury and have been playing with a lot more energy. It;'s the first time I've really had an injury and been out and I realize I'm a fifth year senior. Our big guys are the best front court in the country. All I have to do it throw it up there and one of those guys will get it. We're happy to have the better teams at the end of our schedule because we want to play our best against the best as we get ready for March.

Early postgame coverage from the Deseret News: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900053473/no-4-gonzaga-pounds-byu-93-63.html

OZZY
01-31-2019, 09:30 PM
Thanks 116, appreciate the insights.

Being on holiday, I was actually able to watch the game live (on ESPN2 here in Oz) for a change.

Reborn
01-31-2019, 09:31 PM
good write-up. I felt that Rui guarded Childs more than Clarke, and at times they doubled-teamed him.

Zagceo
01-31-2019, 10:43 PM
good write-up. I felt that Rui guarded Childs more than Clarke, and at times they doubled-teamed him.

preview of Zion defense

Zagger
02-01-2019, 06:18 AM
Thanks 116!

Yes, Kispert! He's doing really well + enjoying it. Just about every camera shot of Corey showed him grinning :)
Usually when it comes to a bunch of Zags I've got a pretty good likeable quotient that settles in early to mid season. With this bunch my feelings for the team just keep getting better. They are really putting a lot of effort into improving - individually as a team. They're all making better and better use of their time on the floor during games - playing smart and playing for the team, the best shot, etc. Amazing basketball and a hoot of a pleasure to watch.

willandi
02-01-2019, 06:59 AM
Thanks 116!

Yes, Kispert! He's doing really well + enjoying it. Just about every camera shot of Corey showed him grinning :)
Usually when it comes to a bunch of Zags I've got a pretty good likeable quotient that settles in early to mid season. With this bunch my feelings for the team just keep getting better. They are really putting a lot of effort into improving - individually as a team. They're all making better and better use of their time on the floor during games - playing smart and playing for the team, the best shot, etc. Amazing basketball and a hoot of a pleasure to watch.

I love that line.

Just think...soon Tillie will be approaching his talent from last year as Geno is doing. With JJ doing his Journeyman work, coming off the bench to do what is needed, and Petrusev as the totally unknown that would start on almost any other WCC team, and it is exciting.

On a neutral floor, this Zags team can play with anybody, and beat them. My only worry is shooting in a huge venue, like the FF will be in. They have had problems in the past when faced with strange backdrops and sight lines.

Hoopaholic
02-01-2019, 08:12 AM
I love that line.

Just think...soon Tillie will be approaching his talent from last year as Geno is doing. With JJ doing his Journeyman work, coming off the bench to do what is needed, and Petrusev as the totally unknown that would start on almost any other WCC team, and it is exciting.

On a neutral floor, this Zags team can play with anybody, and beat them. My only worry is shooting in a huge venue, like the FF will be in. They have had problems in the past when faced with strange backdrops and sight lines.

agree on big floor dynamics but we are an inside out team with a heavy dose of transition......not required to hit three balls to be succesful day in day out