PDA

View Full Version : 10 GAMES LEFT

bdmiller7
01-25-2019, 06:21 AM
I like the way the regular season schedule wraps up. Here's who we play and current KenPom rank.
BYU twice - 95
SMC twice - 35
USD twice - 93
USF - 42
LMU - 143
PEPP - 172
PAC - 179
7 Top 100 teams and everybody in the top 200. Will be a good test and help prepare the guys going into the conference and NCAA tournies.

strikenowhere
01-25-2019, 06:48 AM
I like the way the regular season schedule wraps up. Here's who we play and current KenPom rank.
BYU twice - 95
SMC twice - 35
USD twice - 93
USF - 42
LMU - 143
PEPP - 172
PAC - 179
7 Top 100 teams and everybody in the top 200. Will be a good test and help prepare the guys going into the conference and NCAA tournies.

I gotta say that it is a little odd that the Zags have already played Santa Clara twice before even seeing BYU, SMC, or USD. Just a strange scheduling quirk.

willandi
01-25-2019, 07:23 AM
BYU twice - 95
SMC twice - 35
USD twice - 93
USF - 42
LMU - 143
PEPP - 172
PAC - 179

Are the BYU and SMC rankings from before last nights game?

HenneZag
01-25-2019, 07:25 AM
I gotta say that it is a little odd that the Zags have already played Santa Clara twice before even seeing BYU, SMC, or USD. Just a strange scheduling quirk.

I think it's odd as well. BYU AND SMC have already played twice. Wish we would've played 1 or 2 of those games, we have a back heavy schedule. 5 challenging games coming up.

bdmiller7
01-25-2019, 07:35 AM
Are the BYU and SMC rankings from before last nights game?

Those were from this morning. Supposedly through 1/24 games.

bdmiller7
01-25-2019, 07:40 AM

GU has only played 1 game against a team in the upper half of the current WCC standings. I'm looking forward to this stretch. Hoping for more games like the USF than last nights game. I want a couple close games (that we win) to get more accustomed to pressure situations.

kitzbuel
01-25-2019, 07:54 AM
GU has only played 1 game against a team in the upper half of the current WCC standings. I'm looking forward to this stretch. Hoping for more games like the USF than last nights game. I want a couple close games (that we win) to get more accustomed to pressure situations.A lot of the reason that teams in the upper half are there is because they have not absorbed their two losses to the Zags yet.

As the Zags continue to rampage through the conference, standings will change.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

DZ
01-25-2019, 08:08 AM
I think it's odd as well. BYU AND SMC have already played twice. Wish we would've played 1 or 2 of those games, we have a back heavy schedule. 5 challenging games coming up.

Do you think that might work out favorably to us?

It allowed us to integrate our guys a little slower (even though @USF might have been the most challenging game), prior to games against SMC and BYU. Additionally, the two "traditional" WCC rivals coming at the end might prepare us for March better, picking up the pace again just before the tournaments.

It is an odd schedule, and I don't want it in the future, but it might work in our favor this year.

Odd, too, that BYU is ranked 5th in the WCC under these rankings.

bdmiller7
01-25-2019, 08:10 AM
A lot of the reason that teams in the upper half are there is because they have not absorbed their two losses to the Zags yet.

As the Zags continue to rampage through the conference, standings will change.

So you don't think USF, SMC, BYU, and USD are the next 4 best teams?

JAGzag
01-25-2019, 08:28 AM
BYU twice - 95
SMC twice - 35
USD twice - 93
USF - 42
LMU - 143
PEPP - 172
PAC - 179

How in the world is SMC 35 with a record of 13-8? Not like they’ve played some world beaters this year.

bdmiller7
01-25-2019, 08:40 AM
BYU twice - 95
SMC twice - 35
USD twice - 93
USF - 42
LMU - 143
PEPP - 172
PAC - 179

Just wanted to add most recent NCAA NET rankings since that is supposed to be the new tool for the selection comittee. They are aligning fairly close to KenPom.
Gonzaga 4
USF 42
SMC 47
BYU 111
USD 121
LMU 153
PEPP 175
PAC 181

whatazag
01-25-2019, 09:16 AM
How in the world is SMC 35 with a record of 13-8? Not like they’ve played some world beaters this year.

Kenpom doesn't factor in W/L (directly). In theory if you are more efficient, you should have a better record, but I guess there can be aberrations. I don't know exactly what his "luck" rating is, but it shows SMC at ranked 349, so close to dead last.

Birddog
01-25-2019, 09:20 AM
GU has only played 1 game against a team in the upper half of the current WCC standings. I'm looking forward to this stretch. Hoping for more games like the USF than last nights game. I want a couple close games (that we win) to get more accustomed to pressure situations.

Yeah, a couple of 20 pointers would make things more interesting.

MDABE80
01-25-2019, 09:29 AM
Lolololol
Yeah, a couple of 20 pointers would make things more interesting.

scrooner
01-25-2019, 09:47 AM
Josh should break the career assist record before the regular season is done. He's 45 assists away from tying it, at a rate of 6.5 per game.

Markburn1
01-25-2019, 09:54 AM
How about the Zags go ahead and play eighteen more games?

stevet75
01-25-2019, 10:14 AM
All I'm asking is that we win the last game we play.

sittingon50
01-25-2019, 10:21 AM
All I'm asking is that we win the last game we play.

That has always been my sentiment as well, steve.

bartruff1
01-25-2019, 11:11 AM
The whole thing is rigged....Few rigged the NCAA Net System and then he rigged the WCC Conference Schedule to allow his team to advance without a loss until they were ready to play the better teams that can best prepare Gonzaga for the Dance...

Those preacher's kids are never to be trusted....:)

Malastein
01-25-2019, 11:33 AM
The whole thing is rigged....Few rigged the NCAA Net System and then he rigged the WCC Conference Schedule to allow his team to advance without a loss until they were ready to play the better teams that can best prepare Gonzaga for the Dance...

Those preacher's kids are never to be trusted....:)

If you look at RPI compared to NET ratings, then all but 2 or 3 WCC team improve from the new system.

kitzbuel
01-25-2019, 11:54 AM
So you don't think USF, SMC, BYU, and USD are the next 4 best teams?Right now. But standings will change when they all get another couple of losses. They potentially are within reach of SCU, Pepp and LMU.

bartruff1
01-25-2019, 11:57 AM
If Gonzaga loses a game in the WCC, including the tournament..... they should all go to bed without their supper and be grounded for a month....even Dicky V with one eye could see them winning out …

That game last night reminded me of a game I saw between the Harlem Globetrotters and the Washington Generals …. the only thing missing was the confetti toss ….

TexasZagFan
01-25-2019, 12:01 PM
If Gonzaga loses a game in the WCC, including the tournament..... they should all go to bed without their supper and be grounded for a month....even Dicky V could see them winning out with his one eye....

With apologies to Filip, the #1 priority for the Zags is to have our rotation locked down. If Few and staff can keep them focused, there will be plenty of playing time for those not in the rotation.

Having said that, Filip needs that PT, if only as an insurance policy for early foul trouble in games. How many times have we seen that over the years? Brandon's toned it down, but Killian has been picking up fouls with regularity.

scrooner
01-25-2019, 01:06 PM
Having said that, Filip needs that PT, if only as an insurance policy for early foul trouble in games. How many times have we seen that over the years? Brandon's toned it down, but Killian has been picking up fouls with regularity.

I was hoping last year's Florida State game would have opened Few's eyes to that concern, but he adapts to change pretty slowly over time. It took him years to start agreeing with the conventional wisdom that you should foul when up by 3. I wonder how long it will take to start going deeper in the bench to allow the team to press more?

SorenTodd45
01-25-2019, 02:02 PM
How about the Zags go ahead and play eighteen more games?

Had to do the math to realize what that means. I'm just glad they only have 3 more ROOT games, so I can watch on my 55-inch HDTV instead of a 19-inch laptop. And no offense to Heister and Fox, but I like the ESPN guys more.

SorenTodd45
01-25-2019, 02:06 PM
With apologies to Filip, the #1 priority for the Zags is to have our rotation locked down. If Few and staff can keep them focused, there will be plenty of playing time for those not in the rotation.

Exactly. I'm pretty sure that Pet would trade extra playing time for a ring (or whatever reward they give the NCAA champs).

sittingon50
01-25-2019, 02:19 PM
I was hoping last year's Florida State game would have opened Few's eyes to that concern, but he adapts to change pretty slowly over time. It took him years to start agreeing with the conventional wisdom that you should foul when up by 3. I wonder how long it will take to start going deeper in the bench to allow the team to press more?

FWIW scrooner it seems to me that this team has been pressing more this year than teams of the somewhat recent past.

TexasZagFan
01-25-2019, 02:26 PM
Had to do the math to realize what that means. I'm just glad they only have 3 more ROOT games, so I can watch on my 55-inch HDTV instead of a 19-inch laptop. And no offense to Heister and Fox, but I like the ESPN guys more.

Dickau was the analyst during the BYU/SMC game last night.

It was mentioned on multiple occasions that one of the referees was an official during the Saints/Rams game last week.

I would hope that the NFL restricts their referees from moonlighting in other venues during the football season. They print enough money, the NFL should be able to pay referees to focus on their games exclusively until after the Super Bowl. During the week, they can view film, work out regularly, etc.

former1dog
01-25-2019, 02:37 PM
Josh should break the career assist record before the regular season is done. He's 45 assists away from tying it, at a rate of 6.5 per game.

53 assists to break the record for Josh. Assuming the 10 regular season games, 1 WCC tourney game guaranteed and 1 NCAA very probable, he needs to average just over 4.4 assists per game.

gonzagafan62
01-25-2019, 02:56 PM

You act like these are young freshman lol. The guys on our team already had close wins vs Duke, Creighton, Illinois, Arizona Washington... and we’re tied late vs USF before they ran away with it.

A lot of these guys (norvell, Rui, Tillie, Perkins, and maybe a couple others I’m obviously omitting) have already played in the biggest games these teams can possibly play in. Against Duke and some in the national title. These guys know what it’s like to win late in tournament. I don’t really need more proof or reassurance for that. If I did I’d have all all freshman or sophomore team. Most of these guys have been in school 3-5 years. Lol and they beat duke.

I want wins. Idc how we get them. Every night needing a win to get a 1 seed is pressure enough. We don’t need further validation for a long tourney run or to prove we’re ready for a tournament. We just need to get better every day

tinfoilzag
01-25-2019, 03:02 PM
On senior night, we could see the starting lineup of:

Perkins
Crandall
J. Jones
Rui
Tillie

and it will likely be the last game we see any of them in the Kennel. I'm going to analyse less, enjoy more over the next few games.

bdmiller7
01-25-2019, 03:31 PM
You act like these are young freshman lol. The guys on our team already had close wins vs Duke, Creighton, Illinois, Arizona Washington... and we’re tied late vs USF before they ran away with it.

A lot of these guys (norvell, Rui, Tillie, Perkins, and maybe a couple others I’m obviously omitting) have already played in the biggest games these teams can possibly play in. Against Duke and some in the national title. These guys know what it’s like to win late in tournament. I don’t really need more proof or reassurance for that. If I did I’d have all all freshman or sophomore team. Most of these guys have been in school 3-5 years. Lol and they beat duke.

I want wins. Idc how we get them. Every night needing a win to get a 1 seed is pressure enough. We don’t need further validation for a long tourney run or to prove we’re ready for a tournament. We just need to get better every day

A couple games that aren't over 10 minutes in cant be a bad thing, plus when they're up 20 or 30 at halftime it makes the 2nd half a little harder to watch. I don't mind a close game because I really don't see this team losing to anybody in conference. It's more so in the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney when you meet a little resistance it would be nice if the last stressful situation wasn't 4 months prior.

bdmiller7
01-25-2019, 03:36 PM

Other than USF every game was prior to December 6. I guess I'm not scared to lose, and I'm not sure how much we really gain from beating someone by 50 or 60. Playing close games against good competition is actually better for seeding than destroying teams in the 200's.
Lol.

JPtheBeasta
01-25-2019, 05:14 PM
Kenpom doesn't factor in W/L (directly). In theory if you are more efficient, you should have a better record, but I guess there can be aberrations. I don't know exactly what his "luck" rating is, but it shows SMC at ranked 349, so close to dead last.

Hopefully SMC doesn't correct to the mean when we play them.

gonzagafan62
01-25-2019, 06:42 PM
A couple games that aren't over 10 minutes in cant be a bad thing, plus when they're up 20 or 30 at halftime it makes the 2nd half a little harder to watch. I don't mind a close game because I really don't see this team losing to anybody in conference. It's more so in the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney when you meet a little resistance it would be nice if the last stressful situation wasn't 4 months prior.

That can’t be proven or disproven, at all. I’m not sure what you need to learn other than what we have already about this team minus maybe a bit in the uptick when it comes to defense. Offense is explosive. Defense needs work. Defense has been playing much better the last month and a half.

And again, USF already put us in a stressful situation last week or whatever it was. Well get another one. We always do. Just enjoy the ride

gonzagafan62
01-25-2019, 06:43 PM
Other than USF every game was prior to December 6. I guess I'm not scared to lose, and I'm not sure how much we really gain from beating someone by 50 or 60. Playing close games against good competition is actually better for seeding than destroying teams in the 200's.
Lol.

Never said I was scared to lose. I’m just saying the guys have already been tested. Playing with pressure to win every single night from here on out is already a ton of pressure. $h1t they’ve won 27 on the road consecutively... an Ncaa record. Lol road games aren’t Easy either. Everyone needs a chill pill lol

bdmiller7
01-25-2019, 06:59 PM
Never said I was scared to lose. I’m just saying the guys have already been tested. Playing with pressure to win every single night from here on out is already a ton of pressure. $h1t they’ve won 27 on the road consecutively... an Ncaa record. Lol road games aren’t Easy either. Everyone needs a chill pill lol

I'm not stressed and I'm enjoying the season. The 3 most exciting games of the season for me so far are Duke, Tennessee, and USF. I don't think every game needs to be a nailbiter, I just stay more engaged when it's closer. I've watched every second of every game for 10 plus years, other than 1 Pacific game during a power outage and that stupid UW game on the PAC 12 network, and have enjoyed them all. I don't think the team needs stress, it's mostly for selfish reasons that I look forward to playing the better teams. I just think the rest of the season will be more exciting for my tv watching than the last about 7 weeks have been.

RenoZag
01-25-2019, 07:22 PM

Can't connect your laptop to your TV ? Bummer

Reborn
01-28-2019, 03:29 PM
Losses by the second and third best teams in the WCC this past week should be a good warning to the Zags that the conference is better this year. The losses by USF and St Mary's were both on the road, and this year the Road games have been like mine fields for many many teams in D-1 basketball. I think many Zag fans have gotten tired of watching our boys slam dunk teams by 50 points, and their interest should come back in these next ten games. Seven of the last ten games are against the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th best teams in our conference and 3 of those games will be on the Road (we've already played USF on the road). I also believe the schedule has been perfect this year because it's going to challenge the Zags at the end of the season. Next week we have both USF and Saint Mary's and fortunately these games are at home. The second toughest week will be this week as we play @ BYU and San Diego at home. We will find out a lot this week. If we take both of these games this week, I think the guys will be ready for USF and St Mary's next week. I believe the key is going to be, playing one game at a time.

Go Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
01-28-2019, 03:45 PM
Losses by the second and third best teams in the WCC this past week should be a good warning to the Zags that the conference is better this year. The losses by USF and St Mary's were both on the road, and this year the Road games have been like mine fields for many many teams in D-1 basketball. I think many Zag fans have gotten tired of watching our boys slam dunk teams by 50 points, and their interest should come back in these next ten games. Seven of the last ten games are against the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th best teams in our conference and 3 of those games will be on the Road (we've already played USF on the road). I also believe the schedule has been perfect this year because it's going to challenge the Zags at the end of the season. Next week we have both USF and Saint Mary's and fortunately these games are at home. The second toughest week will be this week as we play @ BYU and San Diego at home. We will find out a lot this week. If we take both of these games this week, I think the guys will be ready for USF and St Mary's next week. I believe the key is going to be, playing one game at a time.

Go Zags!!!

The response in the aftermath of the Portland game leads to me believe they are ready to kick butt the rest of the year.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlp1eV0JTHuzw5DKh-1Ggv7yYush1-1rgslHzraYQGehr9q1oPAA

MileHigh
01-28-2019, 04:00 PM
53 assists to break the record for Josh. Assuming the 10 regular season games, 1 WCC tourney game guaranteed and 1 NCAA very probable, he needs to average just over 4.4 assists per game.

There are a few of us that hope he averages 7 assists a game for the next 7 games which will set him up to break the record on senior night against BYU in front of a bunch of family and friends......now that would be sweet

gonzagafan62
01-28-2019, 04:05 PM

Bland and boring honestly. Better than mowins By a long shot tho. She sucks

EDIT: Happy for you though SorenTodd45

former1dog
01-28-2019, 04:38 PM
There are a few of us that hope he averages 7 assists a game for the next 7 games which will set him up to break the record on senior night against BYU in front of a bunch of family and friends......now that would be sweet

That would be awesome.

I must say, I have been a little dissapointed. Not in Josh's play per se, but that his assists numbers have fallen a bit, for what ever reason.

Josh really deserves to get that kind of record on the home court and have that honor given to him.

That said, something tells me it matters much less to him than all of us.