PDA

View Full Version : D-1 Record Broken Tonight for consecutive conference road wins

CDC84
01-25-2019, 01:39 AM
According to a Root Sports graphic, Gonzaga has now won more consecutive conference road games than any team in D-1 history. It's at 27 now. They were previously tied with UCLA (Jan. 1967-Feb. 1970 in the Pac 8). GU's record goes back to Jan. 2016.

Yes, I know that Gonzaga plays in the WCC, and many people think the WCC sucks.........

Even though the Santa Clara team that GU annihilated tonight has a home win over USC and a semi-neutral court win (played at Spokane Arena I believe) over Washington State. And this is not an aberration. When BCS teams dare to come to WCC venues, they quite often end up with L's or get out by the skin of their teeth.

It's not easy playing in these venues. And also making the adjustment of playing at a place like the Leavey Center and then playing at one of the largest basketball arenas in the country at BYU. This league has all sorts of different kinds of settings.

Zagger
01-25-2019, 03:23 AM
Wow! Congrats to GU. May the Zags continue that right through Provo!

whatazag
01-25-2019, 09:06 AM
The media post-game recaps I've seen are all saying its the "longest active mark in the nation", which while true misses the more important aspect of the record.

gonzagafan62
01-25-2019, 02:48 PM
RECORD BABY! Let’s go!

jpn17
01-26-2019, 12:24 AM
According to a Root Sports graphic, Gonzaga has now won more consecutive conference road games than any team in D-1 history. It's at 27 now. They were previously tied with UCLA (Jan. 1967-Feb. 1970 in the Pac 8). GU's record goes back to Jan. 2016.

Yes, I know that Gonzaga plays in the WCC, and many people think the WCC sucks.........

Even though the Santa Clara team that GU annihilated tonight has a home win over USC and a semi-neutral court win (played at Spokane Arena I believe) over Washington State. And this is not an aberration. When BCS teams dare to come to WCC venues, they quite often end up with L's or get out by the skin of their teeth.

It's not easy playing in these venues. And also making the adjustment of playing at a place like the Leavey Center and then playing at one of the largest basketball arenas in the country at BYU. This league has all sorts of different kinds of settings.

I agree with you about the perception of the WCC, but this is incredibly impressive, I don't care what conference you play in. I've said it before, but I still think people don't place enough value in just how much more difficult it is to win on the road, and for Gonzaga to be able to do this consistently in this conference is incredible.