PDA

View Full Version : GU vs Santa Clara post game analysis and thoughts

Reborn
01-24-2019, 09:09 PM
GU 98
Santa Clara 39

Another blow out. BIG TIME. Zags looked really, really good.

Gonzaga with only two turnovers. 0 by the guards and ball handlers. One by Jones and one by Clarke. That is awesome. They really did look smooth with excellent chemistry and fluidity. They ran all night long and had 21 assists, and they were pretty. Everyone looked great. I'd say Perkins had the best game but it was close. He had 18 points with 8 assists. Rui had 16 as did Norvell. It was good to see Norvell hitting some nice shots from the outside but also attacking the basket. Zags had six guys in double figures. All five starters plus Petrusev. Crandall had 8 with 5 assists off the bench. Crandall looked really good again. We almost had 7 guys in double figures again as Crandall was two points short. Zags shot 84% from free throw line which is really great. They did get ten three's. Kispert and Norvell with 3 each, Perks with two and Crandall with two.

The second team played the last ten minutes of the game. Imagine what the score would have been if the first team had played more. The second team may be the second best team in the conference. They too looked good. Here was the second team tonight: Tillie, Petrusev, Crandall, Jones, Kispert some but then Ayayi.

No other games this week.

Go Zags!!!

Malastein
01-24-2019, 09:15 PM
The second team may be the second best team in the conference. They too looked good. Here was the second team tonight: Tillie, Petrusev, Crandall, Jones, Kispert some but then Ayayi.

Wrong! USF is pretty darn good! Wouldn’t rule out St. Mary’s either. Second team is pretty solid though. Few called off the dogs with about 5 minutes to go, or they would’ve hit triple digits on the score board.

SorenTodd45
01-24-2019, 09:18 PM
It was a freaking clinic tonight. The Zags ran the floor like a well oiled Lamborghini. If they play this well in March, well, Duke and the rest are in for a rude surprise.

Reborn
01-24-2019, 09:20 PM
It was a freaking clinic tonight. The Zags ran the floor like a well oiled Lamborghini. If they play this well in March, well, Duke and the rest are in for a rude surprise.

I agree.

Go Zags!!!

Bocco
That second string out scored SCU 17 - 9 over the last 10 minutes...

Malastein

Probably the most complete game this season!

SorenTodd45
01-24-2019, 10:08 PM

Offensively and defensively, it was as if the Zags could do no wrong. The Broncos should have just forfeited at the 10:00 mark; would have saved everyone a whole lot of time. :clap:

sittingon50
01-24-2019, 10:33 PM

+2.

ProVeeZag
01-24-2019, 11:38 PM
Offensively and defensively, it was as if the Zags could do no wrong. The Broncos should have just forfeited at the 10:00 mark; would have saved everyone a whole lot of time. :clap:

Of which half?

CDC84
01-25-2019, 12:15 AM
The first half was the best half of basketball GU has played all season, and that includes Duke. The staff obviously lit into the players after the lazy effort at Portland. It was the kind of game where the opponent was meaningless. GU would've beaten Duke, UVA, Michigan, anyone tonight. They could have won the game by 90 if they had left the starters in, but the Zags defense was even more lethal in the 2nd half. Just an incredible display of basketball. GU only committed 2 TO's tonight, a program record and very impressive when you consider the hostile road arena. This is another wild stat:

https://twitter.com/StatsBySTATS/status/1088676858382741504

Stats By STATS‏ @StatsBySTATS

The 59-point win (98-39) for @ZagMBB is the largest road win by a Div I team against a Div I opponent since 12/15/1996, when USC won at UC Irvine by 62 (107-45).

It is Gonzaga's 3rd 50-point road win under Mark Few (since 1999-00) - no other team has more than 1 over that span.

Perkins is gaining more and more confidence as Geno gets better and better at both ends. Perks had 18PT, 8 assists, 0 TO's, 7-13 FG.

Few said in Meehan's story that they may have broken the program's defensive eff record tonight for a game.

Malastein
01-25-2019, 12:17 AM
"We talked before the game and we made the statement that we're the No. 1 team in the country," Hachimura said. "From the jump to the end, we were really trying to dominate every position."

CDC84
01-25-2019, 12:44 AM
I always go back to the greatest defensive coach in the history of basketball, Jerry Tarkanian (not just my view, but Bob Knight's as well). In games like tonight - and UNLV saw plenty of them in the Big West and PCAA - you must compete against yourself. Rui's quote that Mal posted is an excellent example of this. The goal to make the statement that GU is number 1 in the country. The goal to dominate every possession. In other words, the opponent is irrelevant. It's about the Zags getting better as a team. Yes, there is a scouting report to follow and so forth, but let's be honest, playing SCU this year is not like playing Michigan. You must create your own goals. GU failed to do that at Portland. They excelled at it tonight. Let's hope it continues. Kind of an unusual situation coming up w/ no game on Saturday and GU not playing until next Thursday at BYU. I know this is not one of BYU's better teams, but the Marriott Center with 21,000 screaming fans presents a challenge.

BTW - The "Barnyard Of Distraction" didn't work in the 2nd half. In addition to the fact that GU was up by a gazillion points, the reason why ASU's "Curtain of Distraction" works (supposedly) is because it is right behind the hoop. The Barnyard was behind the walk way with tons of people walking in front of it.

wiszag
01-25-2019, 03:45 AM
Tarkanian was great but Dick Bennett was the greatest defensive basketball coach in history.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-25-2019, 05:04 AM
"We talked before the game and we made the statement that we're the No. 1 team in the country," Hachimura said. "From the jump to the end, we were really trying to dominate every position."

Love this attitude! Zags sure did make a statement to college hoops world and to themselves as well: This is how good we can be when we are focused and intensely committed on both ends.

The quality of opponent doesn’t distract from this effort and focus because this attitude is how Zags will improve vs WCC and be prepared for tourney. I absolutely loved seeing this team click; seeing Petrusev and Tillie get some quality minutes together; seeing Crandall playing w more and more confidence. The balanced scoring and distribution of field goal attempts was fantastic too. All about team ball not individual stats; what a joy to watch. #WeAreAllWitnesses :000tens:

hooter73
01-25-2019, 05:34 AM
I’ll Debbi Downer it for a second, by the end of the game all I could think of was how we really need a point guard for next year.

GoZags
01-25-2019, 05:36 AM
I’ll Debbi Downer it for a second, by the end of the game all I could think of was how we really need a point guard for next year.

I am not worried about that at all.

DixieZag
01-25-2019, 05:50 AM
Yesterday I said I wanted to see the guys' commitment to defending taken to a whole 'nuther level on the road. That happened.

Said I wanted more integration of the two injured players, and beautiful play in transition. Happened.

OntZags
01-25-2019, 05:57 AM
So basically the 4 main facilitators in Perkins/Crandall/Norvell/Rui went for 20 assists with 0 turnovers. That is usually going to end well.

thespywhozaggedme
01-25-2019, 06:27 AM
I mentioned this in the game thread, Petrusev has put on at least 10 lbs of muscle since the beginning of the school year. He looks jacked!

Zags1993
01-25-2019, 06:39 AM

Once again I didn't dislike what I saw from Ayayi last night. I heard coaching staff wants to slowly transition him to the 1.

bdmiller7
01-25-2019, 06:48 AM
Once again I didn't dislike what I saw from Ayayi last night. I heard coaching staff wants to slowly transition him to the 1.

Not sure if he'll ever be the full time pg, but I also like what I'm seeing and think he will be a big contributor before his career is over. One thing I love, per 40 min he is the best rebounder at 11.6, just ahead of Clarke at 11.5. Also 7 assists to 1 turnover this year. Needs more weight, but still only 18.

Robzagnut
01-25-2019, 07:27 AM
Tarkanian was great but Dick Bennett was the greatest defensive basketball coach in history.

Playing snail pace bball and running every possession down to the last second doesn't make you the greatest defensive coach. It makes you the most boring, unwatchable brand of bball coach. Unfortunately, his son inherited the same trait and Virginia bball is boring! So happy to see UV lose against a #16, because other teams will see that and shy away from boring Bennett ball.

Tark ran a great, fast paced offense AND an excellent defense.

katman50
01-25-2019, 07:28 AM
I figured the Zags would win, but not necessarily that handily. So for a change I listened to the radio broadcast on AM880 in Seattle. Always enjoy listening to Hudson and Adam. They both do a great job.

Robzagnut
01-25-2019, 07:32 AM

+100%

When I was watching the game/display/clinic, I was thinking of the call when Secretariat was running the Belmont, "Secretariat is running like a well oiled machine..." Still brings me chills when I watch that video clip on YouTube.

Gonzagit
01-25-2019, 07:42 AM
Not sure if he'll ever be the full time pg, but I also like what I'm seeing and think he will be a big contributor before his career is over. One thing I love, per 40 min he is the best rebounder at 11.6, just ahead of Clarke at 11.5. Also 7 assists to 1 turnover this year. Needs more weight, but still only 18.

I think him and Foster will be huge contributors.... to whatever programs they transfer to. This is Jesse Wade 2.0. They can't play here.

bartruff1
01-25-2019, 08:06 AM
I really believe that Rui could score 54 against a WCC Team and break Burgess's record...if Mark would ask the team to do it...no need...

Zagceo
01-25-2019, 08:09 AM
Rui and Kispert bodied up on defense. Moved their feet kept a hand up. Nice

Bronco’s don’t have the horses to compete. Herb’s 3rd year program needs

tired of hearing how WCC has improved

Zagger
01-25-2019, 08:35 AM
Anyone have any news on a replay of the game - TV or online?

zagray
01-25-2019, 08:37 AM
One of the best games I’ve ever seen a Zag team play.
Rui and Clark are the funnest front court in the nation to watch, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen so many Zag dunks in a game.
Perkins put on a clinic, his best Zag game I can remember and always a great interview. Class act!
Norvell is crafty and a great passer, he will handle the ball a ton next season
Crandell is beginning to look like the player we all hoped he would be
Kispert is in top form, when he and Perkins play like this the Zags are unbeatable
Tillie was quite, picked up some fouls initiating to much contact in the paint, working hard, the back up post players often pick up the cheap fouls. Being a long time ref, they’re a easy way to quite a ruckus home crowd, have a makeup call or throw a bone to a crying coach or to even the foul calls a bit in a blowout game.
Loved this game I’m going to watch it again tonight, just for the fun of it!

LongIslandZagFan
01-25-2019, 09:03 AM
I'd love to see a stat that shows the number of forced shot clock violations per game. I'd bet GU would be toward the top of that stat.

OntZags
01-25-2019, 09:25 AM
I think him and Foster will be huge contributors.... to whatever programs they transfer to. This is Jesse Wade 2.0. They can't play here.

That's just silly. Wade wasn't remotely near their capability as defenders.

Foster could totally develop into a Jeremy Jones-esque (with better ball handling) type of player as an upperclassman.

And to say Ayayi can't play here is crazy. Joel is lightning fast, incredibly long and already a disruptive force defensively. He has the potential to be one of the best perimeter defenders GU has ever had. He's probably not ever going to be a PG but that's okay. If he can improve his shooting, I see no reason he can't be a starter down the road.

Not every player GU brings in is going to be a superstar. That's okay. Quality role players are important, too.

BurgessEraZag
01-25-2019, 09:42 AM
Burgess does not have the GU single game record. Jean Claude Lefebvre does with 50 against Whitworth in 1959. Burgess has career record 2196. I know I was there and recorded those stats.

hooter73
01-25-2019, 10:36 AM
That's just silly. Wade wasn't remotely near their capability as defenders.

Foster could totally develop into a Jeremy Jones-esque (with better ball handling) type of player as an upperclassman.

And to say Ayayi can't play here is crazy. Joel is lightning fast, incredibly long and already a disruptive force defensively. He has the potential to be one of the best perimeter defenders GU has ever had. He's probably not ever going to be a PG but that's okay. If he can improve his shooting, I see no reason he can't be a starter down the road.

Not every player GU brings in is going to be a superstar. That's okay. Quality role players are important, too.

Based on what? He honestly hasnt shown much defensively other than not being lost like so many others are. I havent looked at the stats but I pay attention when watching the games and he doesnt noticeably disrupt, block, steal or otherwise shut down anyone more than any other player. I think that idea is mostly a holdover from hearing a blurb about it from the locker room.

Foster, well no one but him will convince me that he can play meaningful minutes at a top 25 level.

They seem like great teammates and Im sure good practice players, but starting contenders for a national championship caliber team... no, we need a point guard. Just to keep things in check.

Kong-Kool-Aid
01-25-2019, 08:15 PM
NO RESPECT

Four sections of Santa Clara students behind one of the baskets began chanting "Overrated!" in unison. The Broncos trailed 64-25 at the time.

Oh really? ahahahaha

https://www.kxnet.com/news/no-4-gonzaga-cruises-past-santa-clara-9839/1725388656

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-27-2019, 07:47 AM
Dang, I somehow managed to delete DVR’d recording of this game vs Broncos. I don’t recall seeing Clarke, Rui, Tillie playing together at all during this most recent game. Can anyone confirm that? If not, perhaps that experiment is over in favor of Tillie & Petrusev playing together for stretches?

bartruff1
01-27-2019, 07:58 AM
Burgess does not have the GU single game record. Jean Claude Lefebvre does with 50 against Whitworth in 1959. Burgess has career record 2196. I know I was there and recorded those stats.

You had better take another look at the record book.....it is simply a demonstrable fact that Burgess holds the single game record...set on Jan 26th 1961 of 52 points against UC Davis.....

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-27-2019, 08:36 AM
Anyone have any news on a replay of the game - TV or online?

+1

OntZags
01-27-2019, 08:55 AM
+1

https://wccsports.com/watch/?id=158873

Not sure if they georestrict for on demand.

Mantua
01-27-2019, 10:51 AM

He looked nervous, but I love his effort. He rebounded well last summer.

Zagger
01-27-2019, 01:18 PM
https://wccsports.com/watch/?id=158873

Not sure if they georestrict for on demand.

Rats! If it’s there I can’t find it. I’ve found some hilights on YT but nothing on a full game :(

Grand Valley Zag
01-28-2019, 09:24 AM
Rats! If it’s there I can’t find it. I’ve found some hilights on YT but nothing on a full game :(

For me, if it's geo-restricted, the game does not appear on the wcc's website. You can use a vpn service to get around that though. It's not very complicated to set up; a little googling and you should be set. If you are only going to use it for watching GU games online, there are free options that will work.

Zagger
01-29-2019, 07:41 AM
For me, if it's geo-restricted, the game does not appear on the wcc's website. You can use a vpn service to get around that though. It's not very complicated to set up; a little googling and you should be set. If you are only going to use it for watching GU games online, there are free options that will work.

Gave your tip a try. Found “Free VPN” for iPhone on Apple’s App Store. Works great - now watching the game on theW.tv. Guess it is geographically blocked. I’m in Spokane County.