PDA

View Full Version : We moved up one spot to number four

thespywhozaggedme
01-21-2019, 08:22 AM
Surprised honestly, I thought we would be two or three.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25817310/tennessee-moves-no-1-ap-top-25-duke-drops-no-2

JAGzag
01-21-2019, 08:45 AM
The bias is showing. UVA losses and moves UP a spot while Duke loses at home to an average Syracuse team and moves down one spot?

krozman
01-21-2019, 08:54 AM
UVA has a monkey on their back and everyone wants to see them as a 1 seed again, just for redemption.

gueastcoast
01-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Mentioned in the other thread on power rankings that this is how I thought it would play out. Yes, the bias is showing but it's just part of the terrain unfortunately. At least we moved ahead of Michigan - that would have been a travesty.

zagamatic
01-21-2019, 09:20 AM
I wasn't exactly impressed with either of the Zags wins last week. So I'm not exactly disappointed with only moving up 1 spot. Nevada benefited from all of the top 10 losses for sure though

bartruff1
01-21-2019, 09:20 AM
I see no bias...that looks more than reasonable to me....

At this point previous losses are already baked it the rankings/seedings...... sooo now it is all about new losses....

The teams above Gonzaga are probably going to lose in the future..... if Gonzaga can continue to win...... and either move up or hold at #4 there is a good chance they will get the #1 seed in the West...

IMHO the question has always been …..can Gonzaga improve their defense enough to compete at or beyond the Sweet Sixteen Game ?… Assuming of course they can get to the SS....

Gonzaga is so much better than the rest of the WCC that I don't think we will know that till/if it happens ...

MontanaCoyote
01-21-2019, 09:26 AM

At this point previous losses are already baked it the rankings...... sooo now it is all about new losses....

The teams above Gonzaga are probably going to lose in the future..... if Gonzaga can continue to win...... and either move up or hold at #4 there is a good chance they will get the #1 seed in the West...

IMHO the question now is …..can Gonzaga improve their defense enough to compete at or beyond the Sweet Sixteen Game ?… Assuming of course they can get to the SS....

Gonzaga is so much better than the rest of the WCC that I don't think we will know till it happens ...

Reading my mind again, exactly!

BayAreaZagFan
01-21-2019, 09:34 AM
Not surprised. The Zags won both their games, but against inferior opponents that they were supposed to beat handily. Not enough there to warrant a leapfrog over the #4 team losing to the #1 team at the #1 team's house, and only by two points. If Virginia had lost by 10 points at home, that's another story.

Zagceo
01-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Surprised honestly, I thought we would be two or three.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25817310/tennessee-moves-no-1-ap-top-25-duke-drops-no-2

we are....NET ratings.

no one has given any info as to % of AP vs NET goes into determining seeds

Virginia
ACC
16-1
4-1
3-0
9-0
0-0

Duke
ACC
15-2
2-0
4-1
9-1
0-0

Gonzaga
WCC
18-2
3-1
3-1
12-0
0-0

Tennessee
SEC
16-1
3-0
2-1
10-0
1-0

ProVeeZag
01-21-2019, 10:11 AM
Not surprised. The Zags won both their games, but against inferior opponents that they were supposed to beat handily. Not enough there to warrant a leapfrog over the #4 team losing to the #1 team at the #1 team's house, and only by two points. If Virginia had lost by 10 points at home, that's another story.

I watched Virginia vs. Duke and was very impressed with the Cavaliers. I have no problem with them at the #3 spot, they are an elite team. I would question how 3 voters could put them at #1 though following a loss.

Zagceo
01-21-2019, 10:19 AM
I watched Virginia vs. Duke and was very impressed with the Cavaliers. I have no problem with them at the #3 spot, they are an elite team. I would question how 3 voters could put them at #1 though following a loss.

they only have 1 loss on the road to Duke....Duke has 2 losses 1 @ home against unranked cuse

raise the zag
01-21-2019, 10:31 AM
they only have 1 loss on the road to Duke....Duke has 2 losses 1 @ home against unranked cuse

Virginia looks way better/bigger/strong than they did last season.

They won the ACC & #1 seed.

Have serious size, great defense, just got blitzed by the #1 & #2 picks in upcoming NBA draft

If Zion would have been as aggressive in transition as he was vs Virginia, we wouldn't have stopped him either. Very fortunate RJ Barrett played hero in Maui.

Gotta find a way to foul out Zion.

Virginia is a legit title contender and likely Final 4 squad imho

Zagceo
01-21-2019, 10:38 AM
Virginia looks way better/bigger/strong than they did last season.

They won the ACC & #1 seed.

Have serious size, great defense, just got blitzed by the #1 & #2 picks in upcoming NBA draft

If Zion would have been as aggressive in transition as he was vs Virginia, we wouldn't have stopped him either. Very fortunate RJ Barrett played hero in Maui.

Gotta find a way to foul out Zion.

Virginia is a legit title contender and likely Final 4 squad imho

get Jones to take two or three offensive fouls....huge ask

thespywhozaggedme
01-21-2019, 10:51 AM

Interesting, I watched the entire game and came to the exact opposite conclusion. They're a good defensive team but really bad shooting

MontanaCoyote
01-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Up 1 to #4 in Coaches Poll.

JPtheBeasta
01-21-2019, 11:47 AM
Interesting, I watched the entire game and came to the exact opposite conclusion. They're a good defensive team but really bad shooting

Cavaliers' top 3 scorers shoot the ball well.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/258/virginia-cavaliers

titopoet
01-21-2019, 11:53 AM

I would put them in tier 2 of teams that can win it all.

Tier 1 for me would be Duke, Tennesse, and GU.
Tier 2 Virginia, Kansas (with the injuries) Texas Tech

This was a golden opportunity for Hoos going into Duke with Duke missing Tre Jones. They couldn't do it. (Duke is so much better with Tre Jones playing). The problem I see with the Hoos is that it was obvious that Duke was going to ISO Zion and RJ five minutes into the second half and that would be their offense. Virginia could not stop it, knowing the ISO drive was coming. Key, Salt and the rest of the Hoos could not protect the rim. That lack of rim protection is not going to change going forward and it is a glaring flaw for the Hoos (that only a few teams in the country can consistently exploit ... and yes the Zags are one of them). You know if a team like Tennesse faces the Hoos, the film of the Duke game will be front and center ... and heaven help the Hoos.

Zag365
01-21-2019, 12:02 PM
Lots of subjectivity, eye-of-the-beholder, etc. involved. We're in the right spot +/-2. To get a good seed/site, all we have to do is keep winning and staying healthy.

EEzag
01-21-2019, 12:30 PM
I would put them in tier 2 of teams that can win it all.

Tier 1 for me would be Duke, Tennesse, and GU.
Tier 2 Virginia, Kansas (with the injuries) Texas Tech

This was a golden opportunity for Hoos going into Duke with Duke missing Tre Jones. They couldn't do it. (Duke is so much better with Tre Jones playing). The problem I see with the Hoos is that it was obvious that Duke was going to ISO Zion and RJ five minutes into the second half and that would be their offense. Virginia could not stop it, knowing the ISO drive was coming. Key, Salt and the rest of the Hoos could not protect the rim. That lack of rim protection is not going to change going forward and it is a glaring flaw for the Hoos (that only a few teams in the country can consistently exploit ... and yes the Zags are one of them). You know if a team like Tennesse faces the Hoos, the film of the Duke game will be front and center ... and heaven help the Hoos.

Mich needs to be in the conversation despite losing to Wisconsin in Wisconsin. They are legit.

sittingon50
01-21-2019, 12:37 PM
Michigan just hasn't played well enough AT Wisconsin over the years. Seems like the same issue that GU had at War Memorial for awhile.

jazzdelmar
01-21-2019, 12:49 PM
Honestly, how can you compare GU beating up the dreck of the WCC to Power 6 teams playing against each other? And then expect to rise as a result? We will have a couple tests ahead but I expect the next meaningful game the Zags will play will be in the Round of 32.

thespywhozaggedme
01-21-2019, 12:59 PM
Cavaliers' top 3 scorers shoot the ball well.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/258/virginia-cavaliers

Maybe it was just a game against Puke then? They were terrible.

DixieZag
01-21-2019, 02:25 PM

At this point previous losses are already baked it the rankings/seedings...... sooo now it is all about new losses....

IMHO the question has always been …..can Gonzaga improve their defense enough to compete at or beyond the Sweet Sixteen Game ?… Assuming of course they can get to the SS....

Gonzaga is so much better than the rest of the WCC that I don't think we will know that till/if it happens ...

Yes, I think we're ranked more than fairly. We needed to win one of the two, UTenn or UNC to really claim a number one or two ranking.

We're helped far more than hurt by racking up so many wins in the WCC, even if we don't get a marquee win. If we can collect a half-dozen top 100 wins, that's just fine by me.

I think we've proven we can play enough defense to let our guys run wild and score to get to the E8 unless we lay an egg. To me, the only question is whether we're a top 8 team, or a top 4. Yet to be seen. And the tourney isn't the perfect test, but best we have.

Shanachie
01-21-2019, 02:57 PM

I haven't seen anything other than highlights of any of their games, but they are number 3 in adjusted offense on Kenpom, so they must be doing something right.

thespywhozaggedme
01-21-2019, 03:10 PM
I haven't seen anything other than highlights of any of their games, but they are number 3 in adjusted offense on Kenpom, so they must be doing something right.

The only game I have watch them all year was against puke. When I said they were terrible shooting I was specifically referring to that game.

gueastcoast
01-21-2019, 03:12 PM
Mich needs to be in the conversation despite losing to Wisconsin in Wisconsin. They are legit.

Thought so too until the Wisconsin game. That was dreck. The worst loss by any of the top 5 this season. Wisky played a nice game but that's just not a good team.

MDABE80
01-21-2019, 03:17 PM
The real question is this: is Gonzaga elite?

MontanaCoyote
01-21-2019, 03:43 PM
The real question is this: is Gonzaga elite?

On the court, this season, time will tell. But elite regardless by virtue of the company we keep in the polls year after year and how exceptional those rankings are. The 10 schools surrounding us in AP’s rankings average a student population of 31,000, compared to Gonzaga’s 7,500. Talk about David v Goliath’s! What an amazing accomplishment to do what Gonzaga basketball has done, is doing and will continue to do.

On top of that NONE of these schools come even remotely close to matching the graduation rate of our student athletes. Go to the Ivy League for the competition on that.

Gonzaga, elite enough for me!

jazzdelmar
01-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Not close to 2017. Yet. Just watched Elite 8 vs Xavier and boy that team was smooth and talented. I was pleasantly shocked to see Rui scored the last basket of that game against Mr Monkey on Mark’s Back. The bench blew up, much like last night. Portent of things to come?

jazzdelmar
01-21-2019, 03:51 PM
Enrollment a meaningless factor. Villanova has 7,000 undergrads. As for quality, most would argue Duke and Virginia are superior to Gonzaga. Maybe Michigan, too.

On the court, this season, time will tell. But elite regardless by virtue of the company we keep in the polls year after year and how exceptional those rankings are. The 10 schools surrounding us in AP’s rankings average a student population of 31,000, compared to Gonzaga’s 7,500. Talk about David v Goliath’s! What an amazing accomplishment to do what Gonzaga basketball has done, is doing and will continue to do.

On top of that NONE of these schools come even remotely close to matching the graduation rate of our student athletes. Go to the Ivy League for the competition on that.

Gonzaga, elite enough for me!

gueastcoast
01-21-2019, 03:53 PM
Our only two losses are to the current #1 team (a game we could/should have easily won) and to a UNC team I'm currently watching throttle a top-10 VA Tech squad in Chapel Hill.

So yes, I think we're all right. Want to guess how far we'd drop in the polls if we lost to an unranked team at home??

MontanaCoyote
01-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Enrollment a meaningless factor. Villanova has 7,000 undergrads. As for quality, most would argue Duke and Virginia are superior to Gonzaga.

Not! Kudos to Villanova and maybe even a few others over time. Still exceptional given the power of the bigs.

JPtheBeasta
01-21-2019, 04:07 PM

Yeah, maybe it was all of the length they put out there.

bartruff1
01-21-2019, 04:52 PM
Dixie ….. as that all time great football coach and existentialist observed.... " It is what it is "...….

As for the best team in the land in any season....IMHO is it might be the team that goes undefeated in the best Conference winning 15 or 22 games half of them true road games ….. rather than one that wins 6 games against maybe 3 very good teams at mostly neutral sites.. but that is the fun of it...the National Champion and the best team may not be the same team...

LongIslandZagFan
01-21-2019, 07:47 PM
Enrollment a meaningless factor. Villanova has 7,000 undergrads. As for quality, most would argue Duke and Virginia are superior to Gonzaga. Maybe Michigan, too.

Check the APRs for those schools and come back to us. That is one place where GU leaves many of the blue bloods in the dust.

Also... you can say enrollment isn't a factor... but monetarily... it most assuredly is. More students means more revenue available to support the teams.

zagsfanforlife
01-21-2019, 08:04 PM

Ya i don't see it.. I honestly have a hard time seeing them getting past the sweet 16 game... Bennet's style just does not translate to tournament success and this year looks like another one of his typical teams..

bartruff1
01-21-2019, 08:22 PM
Check the APRs for those schools and come back to us. That is one place where GU leaves many of the blue bloods in the dust.

Also... you can say enrollment isn't a factor... but monetarily... it most assuredly is. More students means more revenue available to support the teams.

North Carolina is at 1000 APR with no penalties …..

HenneZag
01-21-2019, 08:44 PM
#4 ranking is very generous. Were a top 10 team no doubt but the last cpl games were uninspired and sloppy. Maybe the team gets bored idk, but we need to step it up.

TheZagPhish
01-21-2019, 11:37 PM
Whatever the case, these are the problems I want to have.

sheps001
01-22-2019, 03:41 AM
Who gives a C-ap as long as we get a number two seed in the tourney. We should be preferentially seeded and out West. That's all we can hope for. Now the big issue is to prevent injuries like Tillie's which ruined us last year. No heroics like diving for balls. And we need to concentrate on defense and 3 point shooting. You get 50% more points for a three pointer. Nuff said. Go Zags. Lets get back to the regional in Salt Lake City.

Zagger
01-22-2019, 04:48 AM
#4 is good and deserved (I'll bet in good part being that both Tillie and Crandall are back). Can't see the Zags doing anything but staying at 4 or going up. Can't see the Zags losing a game to any WCC team - home, road or WCC Tourney either. Right now it's pretty obvious the team is working on getting better at D and running various O versions as opposed to racking up points. The Zags have their moments when, often during fast breaks, that we really see just how spiffy the team is. What the Zags are doing is not going unnoticed by the poll voters. Anyone playing the full roster Zags is going to have a VERY hard time beating them. There's still 5-6 weeks before Vegas too. That's a goodly amount of time for this bunch of Zags to build amazing synergy to carry over into the Dance. I feel the team has a solid chance at earning a #1 seed.

zag67
01-22-2019, 06:42 AM
I had thought 4 or 5. So all is good. I think the team and the coaching staff are going through growing pains working Crandall and Tillie back into the lineup. There are going to be ups and downs and everyone should know that. Tillie needs to keep working on taking the open shots, passing into the post and his defense. He has lots of time to get his timing back. Geno is the same he needs to keep working on finding the right passes.

Also teams know they cannot guard our big men and are starting to play zones against us. We need to keep working on getting the high post man open and the ball to then move it. When not hitting 3s they ar collapsing on the top of the key.

Reborn
01-22-2019, 06:45 AM
I see nothing wrong with moving up to #4 in the polls at all. As a few of you said, just keep winning. If we can do this the Zags will get a #1 seed.
And don't underestimate USF and Saint Mary's. They are both top 50 teams, and a top 50 team is definitely capable of beating a top 10 team at home. I'm glad we've already won at USF; and that's good news. And don't underestimate BYU because the Zags have always had trouble with them. I have never felt the WCC is a cake-walk, and neither has Mark Few. And the argument that the WCC does not prepare the Zags to do well in the NCAA Tournament has no weight to it at all, imo. How is it that the Zags have one of the best NCAA records in all of Div 1 basketball?

Some posters seem to forget that we beat Duke and were even with Tennessee, two of the top 4 or 5 teams in America. The loss at UNC was not good, but it was also not bad either, imo. That game should never have been scheduled on that date because of finals week. We should all know that. By the end of the year we could have 10 victories over top 50 teams. I'd say that's darn good. I am surprised that there are still a pretty good number of fans here who are NOT true believers in this team yet. I think the biggest mistake by some is not being able to see that the WCC is better this year, and that the teams in it are not as bad as some believe.

I have no problem at all believing that Gonzaga is an elite basketball program. The success in the NCAA Tournament validates that belief. For me the definition of an elite basketball program is one that is one of the top 10 college basketball programs in the USA in the last 10 years.

Go Zags!!!

Bogozags
01-22-2019, 07:17 AM

I also don't see ANY bias...

In fact, I'd rank us @ #6...we rank behind the following schools in Quality Wins (QW) - our QW record is 3-2

UT - 3-1
Duke - 7-2
UVA - 5-1
MSU - 8-2
UM - 6-1

and KU is 10-1!

I believe we are an excellent team and will compete and win against all the above

I understand why Duke remains #2 even with their loss to SU at home (where they lost their most important player) and still defeated a full strength UVA again w/o Jones...that was a great team effort...

There is lots of Bball remaining and we have 13 more games to win before seeding becomes an issue...if we win out then a #1 seed in the West will be a reality...IMO

gueastcoast
01-22-2019, 07:27 AM
As it relates to bias, posted the below in the other games' thread...if you don't think there is bias at work, I can't help you.

No matter how high the WCC's RPI/KenPom/NET/flavor du jour conference ranking, we typically go "off the board" mid-season and are forgotten by the talking heads who are obsessed with shinier toys. The WCC is a mid-major conference in the wrong time zone, full stop.

It is what is is, but that doesn't mean I don't see it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A decent chance we end the season with only two losses, coming to top 10 teams (one which could/should have been a W and the other in the lion's den after finals). Let the talking heads hype teams with losses to unranked teams at home (cough cough, Duke) or to weak teams on the road (ahem, Michigan). And every time I hear the victim card played re: Tre Jones (or whoever) let's remind anyone who will listen that our losses came without Tillie. I hate leading with that (I always think it's a lame excuse when I hear it about other teams) but if it gets air time elsewhere, we need to beat the drum just as loudly.

tinfoilzag
01-22-2019, 07:41 AM
Barring a letdown vs. a weaker WCC team, as long as we are a higher seed than any Mountain West (Nevada) or PAC12 team come selection Sunday, I think the seed will be fair.

At this point, I would guess a 2 seed vs. one of the weaker 1 seeds.

EEzag
01-22-2019, 08:15 AM
Problem with Virginia is when they get down by 10 or more. That being said, they aren't down very often. They aren't built to put up bunches of points and still suffer against smaller quicker teams. They are built to rule the ACC and Big Ten.

LongIslandZagFan
01-22-2019, 08:37 AM
Problem with Virginia is when they get down by 10 or more. That being said, they aren't down very often. They aren't built to put up bunches of points and still suffer against smaller quicker teams. They are built to rule the ACC and Big Ten.

Bennet-ball. Tony is a chip off the block. Got the defensive mindedness from his dad.

GoZags
01-22-2019, 08:58 AM
#4 ranking is very generous. Were a top 10 team no doubt but the last cpl games were uninspired and sloppy. Maybe the team gets bored idk, but we need to step it up.

GU 65 USD (#170 KenPom) 63
GU 81 Santa Clara (#76 KenPom) 74
GU 71 USF (#134 KenPom) 61
GU 83 SMC (#21 KenPom) 78

Zags won twice last week by a total of 41 points. Were they perfect? Not at all.

Above I've listed 4 WCC scores from the first season the Zags achieved a #1 AP ranking ('13). They finished that season #5 Ken Pom.

I don't care what anybody says ... league play can be tough. I continue to take nothing for granted, and I'm not going to moan about 20+ point victories in league anytime.

DixieZag
01-22-2019, 09:50 AM
I don't care what anybody says ... league play can be tough. I continue to take nothing for granted.

Exactly.

Maybe this team will go undefeated in league. But, if they do, it ought to be celebrated as a major major accomplishment.

The attitude that "of course" they will go undefeated "because it's the WCC" both ignores that the WCC might be tougher than the PAC right now (arguable), ignores that no one knows GU better than the WCC, and kinda robs the guys of what they do deserve if they go all the way.

77Zag
01-22-2019, 09:57 AM
It's interesting that USF is getting votes in AP and none at all on the Coaches -- Isn't Randy Bennett one of the committee - what the heck is he thinking?

Go Zags - Beat the Broncos!

Zagceo
01-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Like Jordan Mathews said..."To be honest it's hard to get up for teams like San Diego twice" page 111 Making History

This years team is so talented even having an off night they can blow out most of the conference.

It is what it is....WCC conference play is more like watching scrimmages for the most part.

I think Zags are good enough to be a No.1 seed but the resume doesn't pass the eye test imo.

Just imagine Duke in WCC and Zags in ACC and defend Duke beating up WCC teams therefore they deserve No.1 seed. )

Reborn
01-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Like Jordan Mathews said..."To be honest it's hard to get up for teams like San Diego twice" page 111 Making History

This years team is so talented even having an off night they can blow out most of the conference.

It is what it is....WCC conference play is more like watching scrimmages for the most part.

I think Zags are good enough to be a No.1 seed but the resume doesn't pass the eye test imo.

Just imagine Duke in WCC and Zags in ACC and defend Duke beating up WCC teams therefore they deserve No.1 seed. )

This year's resume is better than any previous ones. I don't understand why you think this year's team is not as good as one or two or is it 3 other teams who have been #1 seeds?

jazzdelmar
01-22-2019, 11:18 AM
IMO the Zags are a classic #2 seed, as things stand now.

DixieZag
01-22-2019, 11:24 AM

If someone offered me the 2 seed in the West, I would take that now in a heartbeat, even if they might be a one if they go undefeated the rest of the way.

I think a 2 seed is about fair, generally speaking they get about the number of losses they have. Though they can make the argument they didn't have Tillie/Crandall for the 2 losses, if they got the 2 seed in the West against the 4th number one seed, I think that's just fine IMO

gbnyba17
01-22-2019, 11:25 AM

Agree. Needed UT or UNC to get a 1.

Zagceo
01-22-2019, 11:44 AM
This year's resume is better than any previous ones. I don't understand why you think this year's team is not as good as one or two or is it 3 other teams who have been #1 seeds?

I do think this year's team is good as any of the top teams...I just don't think our resume is solid therefore our rating will suffer.

Duke plays 12 of 29 games against top 23 teams not including the ACC conference tourney.

Virginia plays 11.... Tennessee 8 ..Michigan 9..Michigan State 8

Gonzaga played 3 ranked teams

amaronizag
01-22-2019, 12:11 PM
Six weeks from now, when Tillie gets dialed back in, GU is going to be a whole lot better than they are today. At that point we should have secured, and will totally deserve, a one seed.

GoZags
01-22-2019, 12:28 PM
Agree. Needed UT or UNC to get a 1.

Have to see what happens to the 5 or 6 best (including GU) between now and the end of the Conference Tourneys. One thing that is irrefutable is both of GU’s losses (UT and UNC) came away from home with 2 of their Top 6 (or 7) players out for an extended period with injuries.

gueastcoast
01-22-2019, 02:34 PM
Have to see what happens to the 5 or 6 best (including GU) between now and the end of the Conference Tourneys. One thing that is irrefutable is both of GU’s losses (UT and UNC) came away from home with 2 of their Top 6 (or 7) players out for an extended period with injuries.

This is the bottom line. It's a drum that needs to be beaten...believe me you'll hear far more from the pundits about Tre Jones missing a game or three than Tillie missing one-third of the season (and all of our OOC games).

ZagOD7540
01-22-2019, 02:55 PM
This is the bottom line. It's a drum that needs to be beaten...believe me you'll hear far more from the pundits about Tre Jones missing a game or three than Tillie missing one-third of the season (and all of our OOC games).

You nailed it! I said the same thing to some buddies when Jones went down...espn was all over it. Over and over again! The only way you knew Tillie was out was to watch a broadcasted Zag game. The Duke effect...