PDA

View Full Version : The Newest Next Gonzaga

23dpg
01-18-2019, 10:44 AM
FTR, I really like this Buffalo team. I just get a slight chuckle out of the headline. How many times has that phrase been used in print for different teams?
Id guess maybe as high as a dozen.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2815904-could-buffalo-become-the-next-gonzaga-of-mens-college-basketball

CDC84
01-18-2019, 10:49 AM
More like dozens.......and AD's thinking that their coach could make their program into the next Gonzaga has led to hundreds of firings.

There will never be another Gonzaga because so much of what made Gonzaga was luck, a special personality like Few and as even Evan Daniels said, Gonzaga's geographic position on the map. Plus being in a league were they could stick out.

Nate Oats, just like everyone else, is going to be working at a BCS school in the next few years. It is impossible to stick out in the MAC. It is the most competitive league in division one basketball. All the teams are located in the same geographic area, they recruit from the same pool of players (Michigan, Ohio and Illinois), and they all have the same resources. It is almost impossible to be consistently great in that league. It is very common for teams in that league to be great for a couple of years and come way down to earth. There have been many teams like Buffalo in that conference over the years. They come down to earth.

23dpg
01-18-2019, 10:59 AM
Grand Canyon. http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22532927

Seattle. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/215339-seattle-university-basketball-the-next-gonzaga

DixieZag
01-18-2019, 11:06 AM
Part of why there will never be another Gonzaga is that you can't have a Gonzaga without Gonzaga Univ.

It's not just the Athletic Department that pulls the program along. The "special place" plays a role, too.

Few said as much, saying it doesn't matter if you're in chemistry or education, you know right away stepping on campus that there was a higher calling there, that one is involved in something bigger.

23dpg
01-18-2019, 11:07 AM
Wichita State. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wichita-state-is-the-gonzaga-of-the-midwest/

Nevada. http://theopenman.com/2018/05/11/eric-musselman-nevada-gonzaga/

23dpg
01-18-2019, 11:12 AM
But We want to be the next Gonzaga,” Cal State Northridge athletics director Brandon Martin told reporters when he introduced Reggie Theus as his new basketball coach in 2013. (Theus is 47-81 in the four years since.)

“We want to be the next Gonzaga,” Oakland coach Greg Kampe told the New York Times in 2010 when the Grizzlies made the NCAA tournament for the second time. (They’ve returned just once in the six years since.)

We can be the next Gonzaga,” Kellen Winslow, Sr., told the San Diego Union Tribune three years ago when he became athletics director at Florida A&M. (He resigned from the job months later after a short but disastrous tenure.)

bartruff1
01-18-2019, 11:13 AM
Wichita State has the resources to keep their coach and has the community support....it could happen..

krozman
01-18-2019, 11:19 AM
Honestly it all starts with Coach Few and his presence of mind to stay where he is instead of chasing the "big program with the big name." Every year there's a coach who turns a mid major program into a NCAA tournament team that over excels beyond their talent. Then that coach gets poached by an underperforming Power 5 conference team and the program sinks. Coach Few didn't do that, but if you recall Dan Monson did. We are unbelievably lucky, not only to have Monson leave but Few stay. Not trying to bash Monson, but today I'm thinking it goes beyond saying that today we'd rather have Few than Monson.

After that, GU had the good sense to turn that success into amazing success for the university. GU is amazingly supportive; I just believe it started with the coach.

23dpg
01-18-2019, 11:28 AM
Charleston. https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/can-college-of-charleston-become-the-next-gonzaga-and-what/article_354ba11c-2797-11e8-a271-331da96919fa.html

Arkansas Little Rock. https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2015/12/13/little-rock-the-next-gonzaga

gonstu
01-18-2019, 11:33 AM
Charleston. https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/can-college-of-charleston-become-the-next-gonzaga-and-what/article_354ba11c-2797-11e8-a271-331da96919fa.html

Arkansas Little Rock. https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2015/12/13/little-rock-the-next-gonzaga

Grand Canyon: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22532927

sittingon50
01-18-2019, 11:36 AM
Wichita State has the resources to keep their coach and has the community support....it could happen..

They've been to 7 dances in a row but looks like they'll miss out this year (8-8, 1-3) unless they win their conference tourney. Hard to see them getting by Houston & Cincy.

23dpg
01-18-2019, 11:37 AM
Grand Canyon: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22532927

Already listed. I might stop at 12.

UT-Arlington. Even after Cross led UTA to the best season in program history last season the coach's end-of-year meeting with Baker didn't go well. Voices were raised amid Baker telling Cross he wanted UTA to be the "next Gonzaga

Speaking of Cincinnati. http://www.newsrecord.org/sports/opinion-bearcats-must-bring-in-transfers-to-become-the-next/article_6a3062dc-1a82-11e7-9446-579dab94fcd6.html

Butler. All the talk has been about Butler becoming the next Gonzaga, but no one truly felt as though the small school just blocks from downtown Indianapolis would be able to sustain its success in the same manner that the ’Zags have done in Spokane, Wash.

Zagceo
01-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Just think if Few liked surfing instead of fishing....Cal Poly San Luis Obispo could have been the original.

EEzag
01-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Just think if Few liked surfing instead of fishing....Cal Poly San Luis Obispo could have been the original.

The only way for a mid-major school to reach success remotely like GU in this day and age would require an outside the box recruiting (all grad transfers or a pipeline to a specific country or countries) and a coach with a personality that might not be lured to the brighter stage. Seriously, I think there is still hope for Saint Mary's. Although they don't have the exclusive stage GU has in Spokane, they still could do it. Randy needs a few better Aussies and maybe a hidden gem to get back into the top 25 consistently.

DixieZag
01-18-2019, 11:58 AM
Already listed. I might stop at 12.

UT-Arlington. Even after Cross led UTA to the best season in program history last season the coach's end-of-year meeting with Baker didn't go well. Voices were raised amid Baker telling Cross he wanted UTA to be the "next Gonzaga

Speaking of Cincinnati. http://www.newsrecord.org/sports/opinion-bearcats-must-bring-in-transfers-to-become-the-next/article_6a3062dc-1a82-11e7-9446-579dab94fcd6.html

Butler. All the talk has been about Butler becoming the next Gonzaga, but no one truly felt as though the small school just blocks from downtown Indianapolis would be able to sustain its success in the same manner that the ’Zags have done in Spokane, Wash.

It's a great effort. But, this thread will be 10 pages long if you continue with the dedication.

Had Butler kept their coach, I have little doubt they would have sustained their success. He is very good.

What is funny is that the closest one is probably SMC, nowhere near our success but again sustaining it a long time.

bartruff1
01-18-2019, 12:03 PM
They've been to 7 dances in a row but looks like they'll miss out this year (8-8, 1-3) unless they win their conference tourney. Hard to see them getting by Houston & Cincy.

If going to 20 straight (plus) NCAA's is the standard....well.....gee....high bar...but they could dominate their Conference and be a power for decades....kinda Gonzaga like....or lite....

Creighton also has the resources and the community support but it is hard to imagine they could dominate the Big East.

Hard to imagine anyone will exactly equal what has been accomplished at Gonzaga....the trick is to be a Elite Program in a non Power Conference...over a long period of time...

BayAreaZagFan
01-18-2019, 12:28 PM
It's been so long, I don't even remember. Was there a Gonzaga before Gonzaga? Who were the Zags going to be "The Next... " one of?

bartruff1
01-18-2019, 12:36 PM
UNLV....Bradley.....Texas Western.....reached national power status but not for 20 years....

Zagceo
01-18-2019, 12:48 PM
It's been so long, I don't even remember. Was there a Gonzaga before Gonzaga? Who were the Zags going to be "The Next... " one of?

maybe Rollie's Villanova little engine that could...1985

jazzdelmar
01-18-2019, 12:50 PM
Gotta be a CBB graveyard somewhere filled with would-be Gonzagas.

jazzdelmar
01-18-2019, 12:51 PM

Saint Joe’s was the first. After Dr. Jack left, not so much. But the hawk will never die.

RenoZag
01-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Honestly it all starts with Coach Few and his presence of mind to stay where he is instead of chasing the "big program with the big name." Every year there's a coach who turns a mid major program into a NCAA tournament team that over excels beyond their talent. Then that coach gets poached by an underperforming Power 5 conference team and the program sinks. Coach Few didn't do that, but if you recall Dan Monson did. We are unbelievably lucky, not only to have Monson leave but Few stay. Not trying to bash Monson, but today I'm thinking it goes beyond saying that today we'd rather have Few than Monson.

After that, GU had the good sense to turn that success into amazing success for the university. GU is amazingly supportive; I just believe it started with the coach.

Good post

Zagceo
01-18-2019, 01:02 PM

well stated

Few acknowledges Monson brought him to Spokane so it did start with a coach )

MDABE80
01-18-2019, 01:27 PM
BZ mentioned this last week. Lotsa talkers but nobody sustains. For many reasons.

Zag365
01-18-2019, 02:13 PM
I thought CDC nailed it (and agree with Krozman that Coach Few's decision to remain at Gonzaga deserves underscoring); we are a unicorn. But then I read Dixie's comment and realized I was leaving out the "secret sauce." The University itself is what brings everything together and makes the sum greater than the parts (Coach Few, luck, geographic location, the Calvary tip, membership in WCC, etc.). The Gonzaga culture has enabled the MBB program (and now the WBB program) to grow, flourish, and renew itself year after year. Sustained excellence, forged by that institutional quality we call "being a Zag," is what makes Gonzaga basketball unreplicatable.

seacatfan
01-18-2019, 02:30 PM
They haven't been as consistent as Gonzaga, but Xavier started having some Tourney success I think as far back as the mid or late 80s. Long before they were in the Big East or even A-10 they were in a very much mid major conference that's either defunct or has been renamed. I think it was the Midwestern Collegiate Conference.

I distinctly remember Akron making some noise about being the next Gonzaga fairly recently. That train didn't get very far down the tracks.

UNLV was an entirely different animal. That was before such a major schism between BCS/Power 5 or whatever and mid majors. But for a few years they were THE program. Numerous Final 4's and a Championship, and that's the school everybody wanted to go to before the NCAA hamstrung them and Tark bailed. I see the other thread going on about who Gonzaga almost got. I remember reading an article claiming that a nearly unthinkable amount of talent was headed to UNLV before it fell apart. They already had Ed O'Bannon signed and Charles was going to follow. But that's the tip of the iceberg. Kidd, Webber and Glenn Robinson are among the names I remember, but there were others.

Again it was such a different era, but Memphis and UAB are a couple others that come to mind that were fairly prominent back in the 80s. Maybe DePaul as an Independent? I mean you could probably even include Louisville, they were in the same conference as Memphis various different times (Metro, Great Midwest, C-USA). Had a couple Championships in the 80s.

What about Houston? Runner ups twice. The old Southwest Conference got absorbed before the BCS came into being. Texas, A&M, Tech, Baylor and Arkansas were in that conference too, but some of the other schools have obviously been lower tier ever since the SWC's demise--SMU, Rice, Houston. Not even sure how to categorize schools from that era.

sittingon50
01-18-2019, 03:24 PM

He coulda' surfed & elevated the Banana Slugs to even greater fame!

doctorzag
01-18-2019, 03:50 PM

What`s going on this year then?

OldGoatZagFan
01-18-2019, 04:12 PM

If you go back to watch the end of the first Elite Eight run, the Florida game...notice who is in the huddle, coaching his butt off! It's Few! Monson is standing with his hands on his hips, staring up. So I agree, Few is the man!

LongIslandZagFan
01-18-2019, 06:06 PM
I work in higher-ed and grew up with both parents also being in higher-ed... I have been on many many campuses in my lifetime. No school where I have worked or spent time on has had the feel and the energy that Gonzaga has. Not because of basketball or any sport for that matter (They were spotty at best in my years there). There is something about GU that just makes it a great place. There is nothing you could offer me to "give up" the experiences I had on that campus by the river. Nothing. Honestly, having GU Basketball like it is right now... icing on the cake... I'd love GU if they were perennial cellar dwellers. It is the university itself... not the hoops. Like someone said... there is a sense on that campus of a higher calling.

willandi
01-18-2019, 06:47 PM

To cold. You would get the big swells at Morro Bay and up in Santa Cruz, but easier to see it happening south, and east, of Point Conception. Maybe UCSB with Isla Vista or even Pepperdine at Malibu.

I was in High School in Lompoc (Vandenberg AFB) as a kid and surfed from LA up to Santa Cruz...even went out in Oregon a few times. The warm waters make surfing so much better, no need for a wetsuit and the girls look better in their bikinis.

willandi
01-18-2019, 06:49 PM
He coulda' surfed & elevated the Banana Slugs to even greater fame!

Isn't that Cal Davis?

I think it's Cal Irvine.

It's Cal Santa Cruz. I had to look it up.

Great waves, but a wetsuit is a must, even in summer.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-18-2019, 07:45 PM
I work in higher-ed and grew up with both parents also being in higher-ed... I have been on many many campuses in my lifetime. No school where I have worked or spent time on has had the feel and the energy that Gonzaga has. Not because of basketball or any sport for that matter (They were spotty at best in my years there). There is something about GU that just makes it a great place. There is nothing you could offer me to "give up" the experiences I had on that campus by the river. Nothing. Honestly, having GU Basketball like it is right now... icing on the cake... I'd love GU if they were perennial cellar dwellers. It is the university itself... not the hoops. Like someone said... there is a sense on that campus of a higher calling.

Yup. This basketball program provides me a continuing connection to a home I still love and miss very much.

TexasZagFan
01-18-2019, 08:17 PM
Wichita State. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wichita-state-is-the-gonzaga-of-the-midwest/

Nevada. http://theopenman.com/2018/05/11/eric-musselman-nevada-gonzaga/

Wichita enrollment - 12,000+
Nevada - 17,930

Buffalo - 21,600

Zagceo
01-18-2019, 09:53 PM
Wichita enrollment - 12,000+
Nevada - 17,930

Buffalo - 21,600

Villanova the original - 6500

thespywhozaggedme
01-18-2019, 10:06 PM
Villanova the original - 6500

I think wake forest has like 3800 students

RenoZag
01-19-2019, 07:42 AM

After the first three consecutive trips (99-01) to the NCAA tournament, I felt Gonzaga was going to claim a spot in the pantheon of well-known Catholic schools who fielded good-to-great teams year after year and who occasionally challenged for the pinnacle whenever a extremely gifted player hit the roster, e.g., Georgetown with Patrick Ewing, Marquette with Dwayne Wade, Xavier with David West. When Morrison lit up the scoreboard in 2005-06, I thought the transcendent player needed to take GU to a national title had arrived. . .

I don't know if there's a solid answer to BayArea's query. I do know the discussion in this thread has made me appreciate the Zags' success even more. We don't know if GU will hang another Final Four banner but the pursuit of that goal, season after season, is genuinely exciting. For the two hours or so a Zags game is on, we can escape from the day-to-day noise of our routines and live vicariously through that squad of young men who represent the name on the front of their jerseys with distinction.

Birddog
01-19-2019, 08:15 AM
I think wake forest has like 3800 students

Wake has close to 7,500 you might be thinking of Davidson.

bartruff1
01-19-2019, 08:17 AM
And of course...Seattle's Elgin Baylor and San Francisco's Bill Russell......but soon both cities acquired Major League Teams and the college teams were no longer the toast of the town ..

bdmiller7
01-19-2019, 08:51 AM
Wake has close to 7,500 you might be thinking of Davidson.

5100 undergrads at Wake. Very similar in size to GU.

GoZags
01-19-2019, 09:36 AM
To me Binghamton was the quickest Rise and Fall of “the next Gonzaga”. They did well in conference, made it to the dance, and celebrated themselves as THE Next Gonzaga. Talk about the George Costanza “opposite” theory. Shortly after their on court “success” things started to unravel .... shady recruiting, shady academics, criminal violations and arrests of some of the players and the coach and (I believe) the University President resigning.

Definitely a tough outing for Binghamton.

23dpg
01-19-2019, 09:47 AM
To me Binghamton was the quickest Rise and Fall of “the next Gonzaga”. They did well in conference, made it to the dance, and celebrated themselves as THE Next Gonzaga. Talk about the George Costanza “opposite” theory. Shortly after their on court “success” things started to unravel .... shady recruiting, shady academics, criminal violations and arrests of some of the players and the coach and (I believe) the University President resigning.

Definitely a tough outing for Binghamton.

I barely remember Binghamton. I had to look it up. Surprised to find out that’s where Theo Davis ended up, briefly.

Zagsker
01-19-2019, 10:24 AM
Pure and simple: Few stayed here

It's not some magical GU campus culture, the culture of GU bball is because of Few...GU was extremely lucky to have the exact right coach at the exact right time (lightning in a bottle)...if Few would have stayed for 5 years GU more than likely reverts back to ho hum program..the fact that he has stayed 20 years has allowed for a extremely strong foundation for the next coach (Lloyd) that makes that dip back less likely

bballbeachbum
01-19-2019, 10:28 AM
After the first three consecutive trips to the NCAA (99-01) tournament, I felt Gonzaga was going to claim a spot in the pantheon of well-known Catholic schools who fielded good-to-great teams year after year and who occasionally challenged for the pinnacle whenever a extremely gifted player hit the roster, e.g., Georgetown with Patrick Ewing, Marquette with Dwayne Wade, Xavier with David West. When Morrison lit up the scoreboard in 2005-06, I thought the transcendent player needed to take GU to a national title had arrived. . .

I don't know if there's a solid answer to BayArea's query. I do know the discussion in this thread has made me appreciate the Zags' success even more. We don't know if GU will hang another Final Four banner but the pursuit of that goal, season after season, is genuinely exciting. For the two hours or so a Zags game is on, we can escape from the day-to-day noise of our routines and live vicariously through that squad of young men who represent the name on the front of their jerseys with distinction.

+1

and agree with Zagsker, without looking to take anything away from what Zag alums cherish about the special environment and experience

Larryzag
01-19-2019, 11:22 AM

It's not some magical GU campus culture, the culture of GU bball is because of Few...GU was extremely lucky to have the exact right coach at the exact right time (lightning in a bottle)...if Few would have stayed for 5 years GU more than likely reverts back to ho hum program..the fact that he has stayed 20 years has allowed for a extremely strong foundation for the next coach (Lloyd) that makes that dip back less likely

It's more than likely a combination of both Few staying for personal reasons and the leadership at the school creating an atmosphere where he wants to stay.

tummydoc
01-19-2019, 12:21 PM
We don't know if GU will hang another Final Four banner but the pursuit of that goal, season after season, is genuinely exciting. For the two hours or so a Zags game is on, we can escape from the day-to-day noise of our routines and live vicariously through that squad of young men who represent the name on the front of their jerseys with distinction.

Omg Reno, I can just picture John Facenda narrating this voice over!! Gives me goosebumps.

TexasZagFan
01-19-2019, 01:17 PM

Let's give some credit to Fr. Spitzer and Fr. Tony. There was something that Fr. Bob saw from the coaching staff and players that was worth capitalizing on. Fr. Tony helped build that family atmosphere, just like he did in his daily work at the university. I swear he knew everybody on campus by their first name, always with a smile on his face.

You had the right cast of characters, at the right time, that lit the fuse that shot this baby in orbit. We're extremely fortunate to consider ourselves a part of that family.

Section 116
01-19-2019, 01:35 PM
tummydoc-when I was growing up in eastern PA in the 50's and 60's John Facenda was the voice of the Philly CBS station WCAU. This was long before Facenda began his work for NFL films. He had one of those unforgettable voices, perfect for broadcast media!

RenoZag
01-19-2019, 01:58 PM
Omg Reno, I can just picture John Facenda narrating this voice over!! Gives me goosebumps.

tummydoc-when I was growing up in eastern PA in the 50's and 60's John Facenda was the voice of the Philly CBS station WCAU. This was long before Facenda began his work for NFL films. He had one of those unforgettable voices, perfect for broadcast media!

Before Mr. Facenda became the voice-over master for NFL Films, Al Davis hired him to do the Raiders' season highlight videos. . .he and the late Harry Kalas were superb.

Zagsker
01-19-2019, 02:26 PM
Let's give some credit to Fr. Spitzer and Fr. Tony. There was something that Fr. Bob saw from the coaching staff and players that was worth capitalizing on...

With a monsoon of respect, but Few was/is taking teams to the tourney and running a clean program, that's not a hard choice to invest in

HillZag
01-19-2019, 03:41 PM
Part of why there will never be another Gonzaga is that you can't have a Gonzaga without Gonzaga Univ.

It's not just the Athletic Department that pulls the program along. The "special place" plays a role, too.

Few said as much, saying it doesn't matter if you're in chemistry or education, you know right away stepping on campus that there was a higher calling there, that one is involved in something bigger.

100% agree. It's part Mark Few, part Gonzaga University, and part the amazing and dedicated fanbase.

Zagceo
01-19-2019, 03:50 PM
I’m going with Mike Roth and new logo.

Zagger
01-20-2019, 05:44 AM
The geographical location of Spokane helps - along with a filled McCarthey for every game. It’s a synergy of Few, Lloyd, Roth, home grown talent, GU, foreign kids welcomed warmly, Canooks now and again, Spokane’s big town-ness (as opposed to being a city), low # of neckties ...... and there’s no end in sight :) :) :)
Go Zags!

GoZags
01-20-2019, 06:30 AM
100% agree. It's part Mark Few, part Gonzaga University, and part the amazing and dedicated fanbase.

Fitz hiring Monson, Few and Grier ... the three roommates who sought to change the paradigm of Gonzaga Basketball.

I've told the story of what Few told The Pontiff and I in '00 or '01 (after his first season or two as h.c.). Few said when he first arrived as a Grad Assistant he was pulled aside by the Campus Elders and told "You will never win this league and that's okay. Just don't finish last. Last place isn't tolerated around here." Those were his marching orders.

He, Munse and Grier worked hard to change that ... and when Fitz left and Monson took over ... they immediately changed their scheduling (and recruiting) philosophy .... going to the Top of the World Tourney (and winning it ... beating Tulsa, Mississippi State and Clemson) ... they played at Kansas, at Purdue, at Michigan State under Monson. It truly was "Anyone, anytime, anywhere". And ... they started going after Pac 10 type guys.

Sure ... some of the things (including Spitzer) that have been mentioned "helped" ... but it was the three roommates ... Few, Grier and Monson that were the impetus of what we are enjoying now ... Gonzaga Basketball ... a program firmly ensconced among the nation's powerhouses.

bartruff1
01-20-2019, 08:41 AM
As I recall from my Logic classes...there are a plethora of causes … immediate causes...ultimate causes....secondary causes ….apparent causes....effective causes ...yada....yada...yada......there is only one constant in this journey.....FEW....

Zag365
01-20-2019, 10:46 AM
As I recall from my Logic classes...there are a plethora of causes … immediate causes...ultimate causes....secondary causes ….apparent causes....effective causes ...yada....yada...yada......there is only one constant in this journey.....FEW....

I think this summarizes what most posters are saying, namely, Coach Few is the primary cause and without him, no one would have imagined the MBB program ever achieving the same level of sustained success. And he's increased the value of a GU degree for all of us alums while allowing the University to attract greater numbers of highly qualified students! We can't thank him enough. But there are a lot of other lucky/contributing causes including the players, Tommy Lloyd's recruiting, the nearly unparalleled home environment led by the KC, the number of alums who show up for road games and have given us a rep for "traveling well, etc.

There are lots of nominees for "best supporting _____" in this epic story. And, I still go back to Dixie's point about Gonzaga University itself being a key COG (pun intended for old timers). I think the culture is the glue that has nurtured and sustained the program from making it comfortable for Coach Few to stay and other coaches to make GU their "home" to the ability to attract the type of team-first players that fit MF's style to the bonding between players and their fellow students that brings so many of them back to campus to work out with the next generation, etc. The culture is critical. Witness the list of other small, mid-major schools referenced in this string who had streaks of success but coaches moved on, recruits lost interest, and their MBB programs slipped off the radar (occasionally resurfacing, but then slipping back). If you heard Zach Collins interviewed during last night's ROOT telecast, you heard him say that one of the coolest things that has happened in his basketball "career" is playing in the Kennel with the KC rocking and the social interaction with fellow students on campus. Gotta credit the University in its many dimensions for being great supporters of a gem of a coach and making us the gold standard for every mid-major college that aspires to have a great MBB program.

Zagsker
01-20-2019, 10:59 AM
Fitz hiring Monson, Few and Grier ... the three roommates who sought to change the paradigm of Gonzaga Basketball.

I've told the story of what Few told The Pontiff and I in '00 or '01 (after his first season or two as h.c.). Few said when he first arrived as a Grad Assistant he was pulled aside by the Campus Elders and told "You will never win this league and that's okay. Just don't finish last. Last place isn't tolerated around here." Those were his marching orders.

He, Munse and Grier worked hard to change that ... and when Fitz left and Monson took over ... they immediately changed their scheduling (and recruiting) philosophy .... going to the Top of the World Tourney (and winning it ... beating Tulsa, Mississippi State and Clemson) ... they played at Kansas, at Purdue, at Michigan State under Monson. It truly was "Anyone, anytime, anywhere". And ... they started going after Pac 10 type guys.

Sure ... some of the things (including Spitzer) that have been mentioned "helped" ... but it was the three roommates ... Few, Grier and Monson that were the impetus of what we are enjoying now ... Gonzaga Basketball ... a program firmly ensconced among the nation's powerhouses.

Good read