PDA

View Full Version : ESPN NBA Draft - Best Available

scrooner
01-17-2019, 09:23 AM
Apologies if this has been posted. It just came up on my feed a few minutes ago.

http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/2

#14 Rui Hachimura
Pre-Draft Analysis
Strengths
- Intriguing physical profile for a modern power forward. Light on his feet. Can play above the rim in space. Plays with exceptional strength. Finishes through contact.
- Potential as a versatile defender given his feet, strength and length..
- Excellent touch 15 feet and in. Comfortable pulling up off the bounce in midrange spots. Shows promise as a standstill 3-point shooter. Can straight-line drive. Still only 20 years old.

Improvement areas
- Feel for the game still a work in progress on both ends of the floor. (Didn't start playing basketball until he was 14.) Not a natural facilitator. Career 62 assists to 121 turnovers. A step slow reacting on defense at times.
- Much more comfortable in midrange spots than 3. Ball comes off the side of his hand on occasion. Career 28.7 percent from 3 on 122 attempts.
- Confidence and assertiveness fluctuate.

#23 Brandon Clarke
Pre-Draft Analysis
The 22-year-old transfer is outstanding as a pogo-stick shot-blocker and finisher who also shows enough as a passer and perimeter shooter to pique the interest of NBA teams. His energy really sets the tone, and his switch ability and shot-blocking make him a perfect fit in the modern NBA. Clarke could very well earn NBA sleeper status, with teams dubbing him a potential Jordan Bell-like modern big.

#62 Killian Tillie

#68 Zach Norvell

webspinnre
01-17-2019, 11:42 AM
That's pretty solid. I think I'd say that Clarke is going to be more plug and play as far as NBA readiness, while Rui probably has the higher ceiling.

caldwellzag
01-17-2019, 11:45 AM
Thanks for posting, makes me think that Norvell will be back, as he is fringe 2nd round right now. You don't test the NBA waters with fringe 2nd round status. Tillie is the wild card, as I definitely see him going, but if he is sitting at fringe 2nd round so why not come back and show you are healthy.

DixieZag
01-17-2019, 11:45 AM
I know near nothing about the NBA game, but the analysis seems more than fair, and fairly accurate on the number compared to past players.

Gotta feel like Tillie would be 30 points higher if not susceptible to chronic injury. His up and down nature game to game might well have been due to that chronic injury, something we rarely think about. I just want the best for them.

Norvelle it seems will be with us another year, and probably will rise.

bartruff1
01-17-2019, 12:14 PM
The NBA or College Basketball are not the only options available to highly skilled players….obviously..... there are dozens of former Gonzaga players …….that probably wanted to play in the NBA...…. but are making a good deal of money and playing all over the world.

I read somewhere on the internet that 2/3 of the players drafted at 30 or later never make the NBA....it was on the internet so it is true..

Ezag
01-17-2019, 01:00 PM
Unless Tillie really breaks out in the Tourney he will probably have to return or play overseas

MDABE80
01-17-2019, 01:47 PM
Is it a weak draft this year? This article doesn’t seem to be very enthusiastic over our top 2 guys. Love it if they both stick around to clean up their games.

zag67
01-17-2019, 01:50 PM
I would say if Tillie has a super solid league and WCC tournament he will set himself up for middle second round and the if a solid NCAA then he would go even higher. Remember the NBA drafts on potential and they have seen a lot last year. The key is no injury.

raise the zag
01-17-2019, 03:02 PM
#A step slow reacting on defense at times.#

This must improve for Rui or he will get eaten alive in NBA.

His defensive woes were exposed this Summer at All American camp with best players in NCAA. He looked terrific in individual drills, yet was destroyed in 5 on 5 given his lack of awareness/feel on defense. His mins and impact were limited as a result.

If Rui was a Clarke level defender, I'd consider us a near lock for Final 4.

However his help defense, switching, and zone reads along perimeter are a major work in progress.

Rui are Kispert gave up around 80% of our points vs Tennessee and UNC

DixieZag
01-17-2019, 03:14 PM
However his help defense, switching, and zone reads along perimeter are a major work in progress.

The good thing for him and us is he sure seems to be a quick study, and I think he will make progress.

amaronizag
01-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Tillie is still an unknown quantity due to injury. If his recovery is complete, and he returns to 100% of where he was in March and April last year, his draft stock will rise significantly in the tournament. Snacks will improve too.

Zagger
01-17-2019, 03:36 PM
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if both Killian and Zach move up 20+ spots by the end of the season.

Hoopaholic
01-17-2019, 04:15 PM
This must improve for Rui or he will get eaten alive in NBA.

His defensive woes were exposed this Summer at All American camp with best players in NCAA. He looked terrific in individual drills, yet was destroyed in 5 on 5 given his lack of awareness/feel on defense. His mins and impact were limited as a result.

If Rui was a Clarke level defender, I'd consider us a near lock for Final 4.

Rui are Kispert gave up around 80% of our points vs Tennessee and UNC

if memory serves me he has only been playing organized basketball since 2012......still alot of nuiances to learn and he only became english proficient 2 years ago.....

RenoZag
01-17-2019, 06:23 PM
Why don't more hoops players wear mouthguards ? Interferes with breathing ??

CDC84
01-18-2019, 12:34 AM
The NCAA tournament plays a big factor in this. If Gonzaga had lost to NW in the 2nd round by 17, I am almost certain Zach Collins would've returned to Gonzaga. But by the time he got to the final 4 and he was in the title game, he was the best player on the floor on the biggest stage possible. A lot more people watched that Gonzaga/UNC title game than a whole a lot of NBA finals games in recent times. It elevated his stock big time. In fact, it elevated with each round that Gonzaga advanced.

stretch
01-18-2019, 05:15 AM
What NBA team wouldn't take a flyer on Tillie in the second round? Second round contracts are not necessarily guaranteed.

Goshzagit
01-18-2019, 06:03 AM
What NBA team wouldn't take a flyer on Tillie in the second round? Second round contracts are not necessarily guaranteed.

there would be no chance in hell Tillie would not be drafted. Even if the season ended tomorrow, Tillie would be picked up by some team.

its obvious he has next level ability on some level.

the kid's size alone, combined with feel/touch/skill alone would warrant heavy consideration, combine his 3pt prowess, defense, passing, and versatility, well....there ya go.

As it stands, he's likely 2nd Rd, but 6'10" combo forwards who can shoot, dribble, pass, defend, and now rebound don't get passed on.

With a titch more consistency, less injury prone, and smarter defense....Tillie could be a lottery pick. If I'm Tillie, I stay and dominate for a season and get GUARANTEED money for many years, but that's just me...

As Coach Few has said time and time again, there are times when Tillie is our best player on the floor. Still rings true. There are times he just looks better than everyone else, including our own high lvl prospects

Bogozags
01-18-2019, 06:06 AM
All four should go to the pre-draft workouts to determine on what they need to do to improve their chances of playing when they leave.

There is no doubt Rui will be gone and it’s will be interesting to see where exactly he will wind up in the draft. I would guess top 20...doesn’t seem like a lottery pick. Defence and shooting from behind the arc will be two things which will receive ample attention from NBA assistants.

BC could also be a first round selection. IMO he will be slotted in the PF position...don’t see him playing in the post as at 215 lbs he just doesn’t seem to have the physical attributes to play the post...it would seem that if he hasn’t put on more weight in the last 18 months, then it might be really difficult to add muscle unless he eats tons of bananas (lol).

Previously, I stated that Tillie would not be drafted unless he had a dominant WCC and Dance performance. That isn’t saying that a team might draft him late in the second round for a look see but unless he is spectacular the rest of the season, his chances of being picked in the 1st round are slim and he left town...
Personally, I’d like to see him come back but her will sign with an agent...
If he goes undrafted and excels in the upcoming summer league, he would most probably receive an invite to camp and be given an opportunity to make the club...

Snacks will be back next year and will most probably be the “man” ala Rui this year...he has excellent physical skills and has displayed his ability to share the ball and rebound and score...GU will need the freshman to really step up to take pressure off of him to score...no doubt he will always have the opponents best defensive player guarding him...

I really hate to see this season end...wish they played a couple of hundred games as I really enjoy watching them enjoy themselves inter acting with each other...don’t think we have ever had such a cohesive team...but all good things must end...

stretch
01-18-2019, 07:53 AM
there would be no chance in hell Tillie would not be drafted. Even if the season ended tomorrow, Tillie would be picked up by some team.

its obvious he has next level ability on some level.

the kid's size alone, combined with feel/touch/skill alone would warrant heavy consideration, combine his 3pt prowess, defense, passing, and versatility, well....there ya go.

As it stands, he's likely 2nd Rd, but 6'10" combo forwards who can shoot, dribble, pass, defend, and now rebound don't get passed on.

With a titch more consistency, less injury prone, and smarter defense....Tillie could be a lottery pick. If I'm Tillie, I stay and dominate for a season and get GUARANTEED money for many years, but that's just me...

As Coach Few has said time and time again, there are times when Tillie is our best player on the floor. Still rings true. There are times he just looks better than everyone else, including our own high lvl prospects

Fred Van Vleet went undrafted out of Wichita State (painful memories there) and was on a NBA minimum contract for two years and became a restricted free agent and now in his third season is making $8.6 million which is more than anyone drafted ahead of him in 2015.

Mojo13
01-18-2019, 09:46 AM
The Easy Case For Brandon Clarke
https://www.thestepien.com/2019/01/18/draft-notes-easy-case-brandon-clarke/

This is about the most optimistic view on Clarke out there, but it is a great read.

stretch
01-19-2019, 09:40 AM
Interesting in that draft boards are all over the map on Clarke. Stepien likes Clarke at no. 2 right after Zion, and nbadraft.net has Clarke at no. 43. Brandon has been floating under the radar for some because of the transfer year out of the spotlight, plus his age, 22 not 23 as Stepien has it, is a factor for some. Buddy Hield was older than Clarke when he was drafted as a lottery pick in 2016.

sittingon50
01-19-2019, 10:35 AM

This is about the most optimistic view on Clarke out there, but it is a great read.

BC should hire this guy!

Zagceo
01-19-2019, 10:54 AM
Nice find

thx

“Early on, Clarke, then a gangly and slight-of-frame middle-schooler, regularly notched double-doubles with blocks and assists, a phenomenon Ekmark said he’s “literally never seen anybody else do.” As Clarke, who often played point guard in AAU, continues to grow more comfortable in his new Bulldog threads, Ekmark said he expects the assist totals to rise.

“He was just an incredibly long and fluid athlete,” Ekmark said. “But as I got to know him better, I realized he had a remarkable and unique combination of skills. Not only was he athletic, he also understood the game at a high level.”

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-19-2019, 11:54 AM

I think that’s the most comprehensive assessment of a player I’ve ever read. Amazing detail and sound reasoning imo