• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scrooner
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

ESPN NBA Draft - Best Available

Apologies if this has been posted. It just came up on my feed a few minutes ago.

See the best remaining players on the draft board during the 2024 NBA Draft with Draftcast on ESPN

#14 Rui Hachimura
    Pre-Draft Analysis
    Strengths
    - Intriguing physical profile for a modern power forward. Light on his feet. Can play above the rim in space. Plays with exceptional strength. Finishes through contact.
    - Potential as a versatile defender given his feet, strength and length..
    - Excellent touch 15 feet and in. Comfortable pulling up off the bounce in midrange spots. Shows promise as a standstill 3-point shooter. Can straight-line drive. Still only 20 years old.

Improvement areas
    - Feel for the game still a work in progress on both ends of the floor. (Didn't start playing basketball until he was 14.) Not a natural facilitator. Career 62 assists to 121 turnovers. A step slow reacting on defense at times.
    - Much more comfortable in midrange spots than 3. Ball comes off the side of his hand on occasion. Career 28.7 percent from 3 on 122 attempts.
    - Confidence and assertiveness fluctuate.

#23 Brandon Clarke
    Pre-Draft Analysis
    The 22-year-old transfer is outstanding as a pogo-stick shot-blocker and finisher who also shows enough as a passer and perimeter shooter to pique the interest of NBA teams. His energy really sets the tone, and his switch ability and shot-blocking make him a perfect fit in the modern NBA. Clarke could very well earn NBA sleeper status, with teams dubbing him a potential Jordan Bell-like modern big.

#62 Killian Tillie

#68 Zach Norvell
  • webspinnre
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

That's pretty solid. I think I'd say that Clarke is going to be more plug and play as far as NBA readiness, while Rui probably has the higher ceiling.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• caldwellzag
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2018

Thanks for posting, makes me think that Norvell will be back, as he is fringe 2nd round right now. You don't test the NBA waters with fringe 2nd round status. Tillie is the wild card, as I definitely see him going, but if he is sitting at fringe 2nd round so why not come back and show you are healthy.

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

I know near nothing about the NBA game, but the analysis seems more than fair, and fairly accurate on the number compared to past players.

Gotta feel like Tillie would be 30 points higher if not susceptible to chronic injury. His up and down nature game to game might well have been due to that chronic injury, something we rarely think about. I just want the best for them.

Norvelle it seems will be with us another year, and probably will rise.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• bartruff1
          Zag for Life
          • Jan 2010

The NBA or College Basketball are not the only options available to highly skilled players….obviously..... there are dozens of former Gonzaga players …….that probably wanted to play in the NBA...…. but are making a good deal of money and playing all over the world.

I read somewhere on the internet that 2/3 of the players drafted at 30 or later never make the NBA....it was on the internet so it is true..

Comment

• Ezag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Unless Tillie really breaks out in the Tourney he will probably have to return or play overseas

Comment

• MDABE80
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Is it a weak draft this year? This article doesn’t seem to be very enthusiastic over our top 2 guys. Love it if they both stick around to clean up their games.

Comment

• zag67
                Zag for Life
                • Sep 2007

I would say if Tillie has a super solid league and WCC tournament he will set himself up for middle second round and the if a solid NCAA then he would go even higher. Remember the NBA drafts on potential and they have seen a lot last year. The key is no injury.

Comment

• raise the zag
                  Zag for Life
                  • May 2011

#A step slow reacting on defense at times.#
                  This must improve for Rui or he will get eaten alive in NBA.

His defensive woes were exposed this Summer at All American camp with best players in NCAA. He looked terrific in individual drills, yet was destroyed in 5 on 5 given his lack of awareness/feel on defense. His mins and impact were limited as a result.

If Rui was a Clarke level defender, I'd consider us a near lock for Final 4.

However his help defense, switching, and zone reads along perimeter are a major work in progress.

Rui are Kispert gave up around 80% of our points vs Tennessee and UNC

Comment

• DZ
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by raise the zag View Post
                    However his help defense, switching, and zone reads along perimeter are a major work in progress.
                    The good thing for him and us is he sure seems to be a quick study, and I think he will make progress.
                    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

• amaronizag
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Jul 2013

Tillie is still an unknown quantity due to injury. If his recovery is complete, and he returns to 100% of where he was in March and April last year, his draft stock will rise significantly in the tournament. Snacks will improve too.

Comment

• Zagger
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2008

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if both Killian and Zach move up 20+ spots by the end of the season.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by raise the zag View Post
                          This must improve for Rui or he will get eaten alive in NBA.

His defensive woes were exposed this Summer at All American camp with best players in NCAA. He looked terrific in individual drills, yet was destroyed in 5 on 5 given his lack of awareness/feel on defense. His mins and impact were limited as a result.

If Rui was a Clarke level defender, I'd consider us a near lock for Final 4.

Rui are Kispert gave up around 80% of our points vs Tennessee and UNC
                          if memory serves me he has only been playing organized basketball since 2012......still alot of nuiances to learn and he only became english proficient 2 years ago.....
                          The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• RenoZag
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Why don't more hoops players wear mouthguards ? Interferes with breathing ??
                            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• CDC84
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

The NCAA tournament plays a big factor in this. If Gonzaga had lost to NW in the 2nd round by 17, I am almost certain Zach Collins would've returned to Gonzaga. But by the time he got to the final 4 and he was in the title game, he was the best player on the floor on the biggest stage possible. A lot more people watched that Gonzaga/UNC title game than a whole a lot of NBA finals games in recent times. It elevated his stock big time. In fact, it elevated with each round that Gonzaga advanced.

Comment

Working...
                              X