PDA

View Full Version : 2019 - Martynas Arlauskas Commit

scrooner
01-15-2019, 05:42 AM
New scouting video posted Jan 4, 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjnr4fnhoNE

IowaSERE
01-15-2019, 06:28 AM
Can someone please explain to me how he is the #42 recruit in the country? I just dont see it from any of his videos. Granted, this isn't a highlight video, but in many cases it looks like a low light video.

caldwellzag
01-15-2019, 06:32 AM
Can someone please explain to me how he is the #42 recruit in the country? I just dont see it from any of his videos. Granted, this isn't a highlight video, but in many cases it looks like a low light video.

Not the best video I have seen of him, but I know he was one of our priority recruits for a reason. He has the skills, but might be a year or two away. He is not Timme or Watson ready yet, but has as much upside as either of them and that is why I think he ranks that high.

IowaSERE
01-15-2019, 06:43 AM
Not the best video I have seen of him, but I know he was one of our priority recruits for a reason. He has the skills, but might be a year or two away. He is not Timme or Watson ready yet, but has as much upside as either of them and that is why I think he ranks that high.

He reminds me of a less athletic version of Kispert.

BobZag
01-15-2019, 07:36 AM
LOL. Yeah, that video looks so-so at best. I guess this is when fans just have to trust the GU staff.

hooter73
01-15-2019, 07:53 AM
He reminds me of a less athletic version of Kispert.

https://media.giphy.com/media/fDO2Nk0ImzvvW/giphy.gif

Zagceo
01-15-2019, 08:16 AM
good shooter

not so good maker

thespywhozaggedme
01-15-2019, 08:26 AM
Remember, every team needs deep bench depth

soccerdud
01-15-2019, 10:49 AM

i wouldn't worry about it too much. while the scouting video is "new", the game they took it from was a U16 game from '16. it's not exactly up-to-date, and most (if not all) of our recruiting and evaluation process has happened since then.

sittingon50
01-15-2019, 12:06 PM
i wouldn't worry about it too much. while the scouting video is "new", the game they took it from was a U16 game from '16. it's not exactly up-to-date, and most (if not all) of our recruiting and evaluation process has happened since then.

Just a bit of a "technicality" eh?

soccerdud
01-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Just a bit of a "technicality" eh?

a bit. lots of this stuff makes more sense when we seek out and understand the context, THEN react :)

IowaSERE
01-16-2019, 06:52 AM

Thats is exactly what I was looking for. Kid played with Pangos right? Has to have something to do with it.

BobZag
01-16-2019, 08:43 AM
Looking better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEzT2dbTSpk

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/video/martynas-arlauskas-at-basketball-without-borders/

hooter73
01-16-2019, 09:13 AM
mid range floaters are a rare enough thing in college ball that I do pay attention when someone has one in their arsenal.

BobZag
01-16-2019, 09:35 AM
mid range floaters are a rare enough thing in college ball that I do pay attention when someone has one in their arsenal.

Yeah, it's almost weird to see a guy who shoots mid-range shots. Rui is great at it.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-02-2019, 05:22 AM
Can’t wait to see him in a Zag uni!

thespywhozaggedme
02-02-2019, 08:56 AM
The guy is like the forgotten recruit. Does anyone know where he's even playing this season?

WallaWallaZag
02-03-2019, 12:08 AM
The guy is like the forgotten recruit. Does anyone know where he's even playing this season?

he's recovering from injury...would assume he's still with zalgiris

thespywhozaggedme
02-03-2019, 05:32 AM
he's recovering from injury...would assume he's still with zalgiris

Oh ok. Thanks

raise the zag
02-24-2019, 08:17 AM
Martynas been injured much of his season, not playing much, so tough to gauge.

Not sure about him.

Projects as a shooting and slashing wing, yet a career sub 30% 3pt shooter. Doesnt show great strength or quickness to "slash". Has good length but seems to shy away from contact once in the lane and/or struggles to finish consistently.

Plays with older players yet never really scored more than 10 pts in any one game, averages less than 6 ppg.

He gets bounced off rebounds.

Based on our other recruits, doesn't seem a clear fit. If he was a good shooter, sure. Or rebounder, or strong, or quick. Seems more intrigue than actual ability. A 6'6" wing with solid handles.

Seems fundamentally sound, with decent size, length, but never really performed at a high level. And has been oft injured with minor stuff last 2 seasons.

I'm sold on every one of our incoming recruits, save him. Even Brock Ravet is a terrific offensive talent yet terrible defense, you can still see him as an asset.

This kid reminds me of Micah Downs without the shot or athleticism.

He looks good on paper for his position, and seems to play hard, but easily defended and below average shooter/attributes.

Anyone else have better feeling or feedback on this kid?

thespywhozaggedme
02-24-2019, 08:53 AM

Not sure about him.

Projects as a shooting and slashing wing, yet a career sub 30% 3pt shooter. Doesnt show great strength or quickness to "slash". Has good length but seems to shy away from contact once in the lane and/or struggles to finish consistently.

Plays with older players yet never really scored more than 10 pts in any one game, averages less than 6 ppg.

Based on our other recruits, doesn't seem a clear fit. If he was a good shooter, sure. Or rebounder, or strong, or quick. Seems more intrigue than actual ability. A 6'6" wing with solid handles.

Seems fundamentally sound, with decent size, length, but never really performed at a high level. And has been oft injured with minor stuff last 2 seasons.

I'm sold on every one of our incoming recruits, save him. Even Brock Ravet is a terrific offensive talent yet terrible defense, you can still see him as an asset.

He looks good on paper for his position, and seems to play hard, but easily defended and below average shooter/attributes.

I see him as bench depth like Foster and Joel. Not every recruit is going to be a star and that is OK

cggonzaga
02-24-2019, 09:24 AM

Not sure about him.

Just wondering why such a high recruiting ranking for him? Somebody saw something.

thespywhozaggedme
02-24-2019, 12:52 PM
Just wondering why such a high recruiting ranking for him? Somebody saw something.

Kids get over ranked all of the time, see Marquise Bolden as Exhibit A.

caldwellzag
02-24-2019, 12:55 PM
He has played well when the competition is its own age. You have to remember he's playing against grown men.