PDA

View Full Version : Imagine

TheBigDawg
01-14-2019, 06:38 AM
Have you seen Melo Ball lately? Unbelievable talent (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fPfMh6hU5o)!

Wonder what the coaching staff thinks about him?

Despite the prognosis being that he will not qualify as a student-athlete because of his stint in Lithuania and being the face of the family company, a lot of Zag recruits played for pro clubs growing up in Europe.

Mathis Moerninghoff played for a club with a pro team before being recruited. Elias & Domas did, too; I bet Ronny did the same while in France as a teenager. They do not have high school teams in Europe. It is all about club teams. The top 1 or 2 teams of any modest to bigger city club, whether Division 1, 2, or 3 will usually be completely pro or consist of some pro players.

What is the young fellow's crime? He was not being paid apparently. Yes, when it comes to his dad, there may be some opposition. But the dad only wants the best for his sons and family.

If we got someone like Melo Ball, with his confidence and innate skills that cannot be taught, it would be arguably the most exciting time in Zagland since 05/06.

My breakdown of him is that his passing/dribbling are off the charts. Unbelievable body control. Still growing into body but seems a legit 6'6". Underrated athlete, he gets a lot of dunks. Defense will be solid in team system and he has great hands and knack for getting into passing lanes. Shot is solid.

He is so good that he doesn't even seem to try hard.

What do you think?

Birddog
01-14-2019, 07:02 AM
JMO but he has more baggage than a Skycap.

Irish_eliZAG
01-14-2019, 07:10 AM
No, thank you

IowaSERE
01-14-2019, 07:16 AM
Nice 1st post Mr Ball.

strikenowhere
01-14-2019, 07:27 AM
Why the hell would you ever, ever, ever want to deal with that headache of a family?

adoptedzag
01-14-2019, 07:29 AM
Have you seen Melo Ball lately? Unbelievable talent (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fPfMh6hU5o)!

Wonder what the coaching staff thinks about him?

Despite the prognosis being that he will not qualify as a student-athlete because of his stint in Lithuania and being the face of the family company, a lot of Zag recruits played for pro clubs growing up in Europe.

Mathis Moerninghoff played for a club with a pro team before being recruited. Elias & Domas did, too; I bet Ronny did the same while in France as a teenager. They do not have high school teams in Europe. It is all about club teams. The top 1 or 2 teams of any modest to bigger city club, whether Division 1, 2, or 3 will usually be completely pro or consist of some pro players.

What is the young fellow's crime? He was not being paid apparently. Yes, when it comes to his dad, there may be some opposition. But the dad only wants the best for his sons and family.

If we got someone like Melo Ball, with his confidence and innate skills that cannot be taught, it would be arguably the most exciting time in Zagland since 05/06.

My breakdown of him is that his passing/dribbling are off the charts. Unbelievable body control. Still growing into body but seems a legit 6'6". Underrated athlete, he gets a lot of dunks. Defense will be solid in team system and he has great hands and knack for getting into passing lanes. Shot is solid.

He is so good that he doesn't even seem to try hard.

What do you think?

Hard pass.

77Zag
01-14-2019, 07:34 AM
Nice 1st post Mr Ball.

:lmao:

Angelo Roncalli
01-14-2019, 08:26 AM
The hardest of hard passes possible.

gueastcoast
01-14-2019, 08:36 AM
LaVar Ball is to Few as oil is to water

LTownZag
01-14-2019, 08:40 AM
http://weknowmemes.com/generator/uploads/generated/g1352003278709181179.jpg

TexasZagFan
01-14-2019, 09:03 AM
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/r2d/images/4/43/Worst_idea_ever.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150606105040

TheBigDawg
01-14-2019, 09:38 AM
Wow, I cannot be the only one open to this idea.

Lavar is a nuisance--yes--but he is calming down. Few and Lavar are not all that different. They are both great family men who deeply care about the sport. Obviously they show it in different ways.

Lamelo on his own accord seems like a great kid. You should never base recruiting decisions on a family member. If we do that, it becomes a slippery slope. Let's not forget that both Meech's dad and also a certain former Portland area walk-on's dad had a very colorful past. Lavar may be a loud mouth but he is not an embezzler (unless you consider charging $495 for a pair of sneakers embezzlement).

Lamelo--if you take away the media circus--is a top 5 recruit; a lottery pick. It really confounds my mental clarity why anyone would be opposed to bringing in such a fun to watch, super talented player. He may be the smoothest point guard we ever had.

Oh and I did see a clip of him scoring on Pangos with ease several months ago. This was from last season when Melo was 15 or 16 and both were playing in the same country. The reason I mention this is because I think he will be better than Pangos. More consistent than Santangelo, much better size than Dickau.

Yet, all of you say no. Don't forget before the harsh, one sided commentary continues, Lamelo is only 17. Most reasonable people would at least give a young kid like that a chance to prove himself before passing judgment.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-14-2019, 09:40 AM
Nice 1st post Mr Ball.

Exactly. Best of luck to the lad but not in Zags best interest to bring Big Baller Brand to Spokane.

Bogozags
01-14-2019, 09:59 AM
Wow, I cannot be the only one open to this idea.

Lavar is a nuisance--yes--but he is calming down. Few and Lavar are not all that different. They are both great family men who deeply care about the sport. Obviously they show it in different ways.

Lamelo on his own accord seems like a great kid. You should never base recruiting decisions on a family member. If we do that, it becomes a slippery slope. Let's not forget that both Meech's dad and also a certain former Portland area walk-on's dad had a very colorful past. Lavar may be a loud mouth but he is not an embezzler (unless you consider charging $495 for a pair of sneakers embezzlement).

Lamelo--if you take away the media circus--is a top 5 recruit; a lottery pick. It really confounds my mental clarity why anyone would be opposed to bringing in such a fun to watch, super talented player. He may be the smoothest point guard we ever had.

Oh and I did see a clip of him scoring on Pangos with ease several months ago. This was from last season when Melo was 15 or 16 and both were playing in the same country. The reason I mention this is because I think he will be better than Pangos. More consistent than Santangelo, much better size than Dickau.

Yet, all of you say no. Don't forget before the harsh, one sided commentary continues, Lamelo is only 17. Most reasonable people would at least give a young kid like that a chance to prove himself before passing judgment.

This isn't about the young man but rather the baggage, intentional or not, that "he" brings with him...

His father is toxic and GU doesn't need anything that disrupts its family atmosphere, which has made it so successful...

I really can't imagine any coach wanting to deal with that family regardless of the talent...

coolhandzag
01-14-2019, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure how you did it BigDawg, but you evenhandedly forced me to close the office this afternoon to go Mountain Biking. Post more often, please. Double Black / Double Down is calling.

sittingon50
01-14-2019, 12:35 PM
Other kids have come here from pro clubs, but never took any money. Doubt that is the case in this instance. And as has been stated, the Zags don't seem to have any problems getting enough talent into the program; was this the kid that got busted in China? Hell, the Dad is even trying to run the Laker's; why would the "lowly Zags" even bother?

RenoZag
01-14-2019, 12:39 PM
Most reasonable people would at least give a young kid like that a chance to prove himself before passing judgment

Most young kids don't have fathers whose role models include Marv Marinovich

23dpg
01-14-2019, 12:44 PM
Other kids have come here from pro clubs, but never took any money. Doubt that is the case in this instance. And as has been stated, the Zags don't seem to have any problems getting enough talent into the program; was this the kid that got busted in China? Hell, the Dad is even trying to run the Laker's; why would the "lowly Zags" even bother?

No, that was the middle brother.

As for the OP, I agree with 50. He was probably paid. That kinda ends it right there.
As for the kid, I wish him well. He is talented. But even if all the other obstacles weren’t there, I doubt his style fits into Few’s system strictly from a b-ball standpoint.

bartruff1
01-14-2019, 01:01 PM
I think it would be a riot.....but....no chance...

TheBigDawg
01-14-2019, 01:07 PM
I guess it is unanimous then. No Melo in Zag uniform.

In all probability, Melo wouldn't come anyway. Spokane is a lonely outpost 300 miles from the nearest slice of civilization. The winter would probably remind him too much of playing in Lithuania--snow and trees, etc.; and he hated Lithuania.

Funny thing is, I bet if you asked Rui and Co. if they would want Melo on their team, it would be unanimous the other way around. Could you imagine all the points off alley-oop dunks with Melo on the roster? Rui, Kill & BC with Melo would be the most exciting team in basketball. Not college basketball. Basketball period.

Tommy would want Melo I am sure. He seems open minded. We need to get cracking at recruiting one & dones in the first place. Coach K saw the light. Not sure if this can be ingrained into Few's subconscious so rapidly but Melo provides a surefire way to step up to the plate.

I am sensing a level of closed-mindedness in this threat that I didn't think I would experience since a good number of posters are presumably the recipients of a first-rate Jesuit education. I haven't read one great argument why Melo shouldn't be recruited besides the super cliche statements that everybody already knows. I keep hearing family atmosphere. Lavar is all about family. Don't judge a book by its cover my friends. Free lesson for today.

23dpg
01-14-2019, 01:14 PM

In all probability, Melo wouldn't come anyway. Spokane is a lonely outpost 300 miles from the nearest slice of civilization. The winter would probably remind him too much of playing in Lithuania--snow and trees, etc.; and he hated Lithuania.

Funny thing is, I bet if you asked Rui and Co. if they would want Melo on their team, it would be unanimous the other way around. Could you imagine all the points off alley-oop dunks with Melo on the roster? Rui, Kill & BC with Melo would be the most exciting team in basketball. Not college basketball. Basketball period.

Tommy would want Melo I am sure. He seems open minded. We need to get cracking at recruiting one & dones in the first place. Coach K saw the light. Not sure if this can be ingrained into Few's subconscious so rapidly but Melo provides a surefire way to step up to the plate.

I am sensing a level of closed-mindedness in this threat that I didn't think I would experience since a good number of posters are presumably the recipients of a first-rate Jesuit education. I haven't read one great argument why Melo shouldn't be recruited besides the super cliche statements that everybody already knows. I keep hearing family atmosphere. Lavar is all about family. Don't judge a book by its cover my friends. Free lesson for today.

Haha,none of us get a vote on who becomes a Zag.
What are your thoughts on his eligibility? My guess is that he never plays a minute of college ball.
Again, I wish the kid nothing but the best. Lonzo is a gifted pass first PG that I’m sure his teammates enjoy. If that’s Melo’s game, he’ll have a shot at the nba too.

caldwellzag
01-14-2019, 01:24 PM

I can't speak for Tommy and Rui personally, but from what I know from them it's a definite no. GU recruits a different type of kid/athlete no offense to Melo and the Ball family, but they are not GU material. That being said the 2019 point guard for GU will have some baggage of his own, but the staff has done their research on him and feel really comfortable with him coming to GU.

soccerdud
01-14-2019, 01:30 PM
I can't speak for Tommy and Rui personally, but from what I know from them it's a definite no. GU recruits a different type of kid/athlete no offense to Melo and the Ball family, but they are not GU material. That being said the 2019 point guard for GU will have some baggage of his own, but the staff has done their research on him and feel really comfortable with him coming to GU.

feeling good about harvey, then? haven't had a meaningful update on him in awhile. last i heard he hadn't visited and didn't have one scheduled, yet.

caldwellzag
01-14-2019, 01:31 PM
feeling good about harvey, then?

I would say we will see another commit for 2019 this spring that is not named Ballo (who should also commit as well). Personally I love Harvey's game.

maynard g krebs
01-14-2019, 01:44 PM
I haven't read one great argument why Melo shouldn't be recruited

How 'bout the fact that he's a ball hogging chucker. That tape of the 93 (or whatever it was) pt game says showoff, hot dog, half court heaver who would be a cancer on a Zag team. And there's the fact that association w/ daddy I could take Jordan would make the Zags' program a laughing stock.

Good trolling, though.

Spike#1
01-14-2019, 02:05 PM
BigDawg, Your statement about what a great team it would be, adding Melo to the core of Rui, Tillie and Clarke, makes no sense. By the time Melo was even on the roster, those 3 that you named will most likely be long gone.

Spike#1
01-14-2019, 02:14 PM
BigDawg, your statement of how great it would be to see Melo teamed up with Rui, Tillie and Clarke a makes no sense. IF, a huge IF... If Melo was to come to GU, most likely, Rui, Tillie and Clarke will all be long gone.

GU's next incoming class will do just fine without Melo. Find other waters to troll in.

sittingon50
01-14-2019, 03:35 PM

Cmon man, you're talkin' out of both sides of your mouth. You want him to come here & then call Spokane an outpost? Alleyoops? Already got those.

BigDawg. huskie troll? Keep him in the Pac, they don't have as many outposts.

coolhandzag
01-14-2019, 08:19 PM

I knew I could count on you for another. I don't know how you do it! Galbraith might be iced up.....up should be good late morning. I'll start my pedal to the top around 10. Keep posting!

Bogozags
01-16-2019, 04:27 AM

TBD - First off, I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion right, wrong or indifferent...opinions are just that opinions.

Since 2011, Coach K has had 14 "one & dones" in his program and during that period, Duke has ONLY been to four Sweet-Sixteens and ONLY one Final Four, so having these players has not made any significant improvement in Duke's success. GU has had one player that left for the NBA after his freshman season and IMO that was somewhat of an abnormal process as Zach was not a starter but a bench player.

In addition, UK has had more "one & dones" than Duke and Coach Cal has had even less success that Coach K. One NC and with one season where they were not invited to the "Dance!"

"One & Done" players have been extremely gifted college basketball players but they are freshman...due to their OJT, they make more mistakes than seasoned players make and in many cases these teams lack cohesion. To each his own but Coach Few has proven that his method has worked and he has no pressure from the school or alums to change over to a system that has not proven to be anymore successful.

It is just my opinion but it appears you have a "win at all costs" philosophy, which is ok but I believe the only ones that MUST WIN AT ALL COSTS are our military...lest we lose sight of what college basketball is all about...education. Again, these are just my opinions and as we all know, they all stink...

Spike#1
01-16-2019, 08:06 AM
And now today there is this article:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-tourney-replaces-lamelo-balls-team-consultant-demands-10k-appearance-fee-060303854.html

From the article:

While Ball has said he wishes to play college basketball, he has done the following:

hired an agent
signed a shoe deal with profits going to his family
played in a Lithuanian professional basketball league (while he wasn’t paid, playing with pros in a pro setting is still an NCAA infraction)
played in his father’s professional basketball league
had his father tweet he had accomplished his mission of playing as a pro
Any one of those actions would likely cause the NCAA to close the gates on one’s amateur status. All five, as well as these latest whispers of money under the table, and you can imagine that Ball probably doesn’t have to worry about scheduling college visits.

TheBigDawg
01-19-2019, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=Spike#1;1424330]And now today there is this article:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-tourney-replaces-lamelo-balls-team-consultant-demands-10k-appearance-fee-060303854.html

From the article:

While Ball has said he wishes to play college basketball, he has done the following:

hired an agent Family Friend
signed a shoe deal with profits going to his family Family Business
played in a Lithuanian professional basketball league (while he wasn’t paid, playing with pros in a pro setting is still an NCAA infraction)Really?? I guess Elias, Domas, etc., got really lucky then. Or maybe Tommy greased a couple NCAA Infraction Officials on official orders from General Few.
played in his father’s professional basketball league Family Biz
had his father tweet he had accomplished his mission of playing as a pro That will definitely hold up
Any one of those actions would likely cause the NCAA to close the gates on one’s amateur status. All five, as well as these latest whispers of money under the table, and you can imagine that Ball probably doesn’t have to worry about scheduling college visits. NCAA is now letting "top recruits" hire agents while in high school; big changes coming

BobZag
01-19-2019, 12:14 PM
Uncle

kitzbuel
01-20-2019, 09:45 PM
Lol