PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga #5 AP

Zagceo
01-07-2019, 09:47 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25706165/duke-blue-devils-remain-atop-ap-poll-top-four-unchanged

No. 5 Gonzaga (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2250/gonzaga-bulldogs), which is finally back to full health, and No. 6 Michigan State each moved up two spots. No. 7 Kansas dropped two spots after losing to Iowa State , which moved back into the poll at No. 20.

gueastcoast
01-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Nevada at 10 is a bit of an insult to several of the teams lower down.

Nice to see St. John's in the poll!

Zagceo
01-07-2019, 09:54 AM

my thoughts exactly

ZagsObserver
01-07-2019, 09:58 AM

Agreed. No quality wins and one (very lopsided) bad loss.

LongIslandZagFan
01-07-2019, 10:02 AM
Johnnies should have been top 25 for quite a while. Think they will work their way up as they move through the BE schedule.

Ponds is a special player.

bartruff1
01-07-2019, 10:07 AM
The four teams above Gonzaga will all lose one or more games during Conference …..the ratings are all about not losing.... I doubt Gonzaga will lose during the regular season or in the WCC Tournament ... soooo...I would expect them to continue to move up... the WCC effect...

HenneZag
01-07-2019, 11:08 AM
The four teams above Gonzaga will all lose one or more games during Conference …..the ratings are all about not losing.... I doubt Gonzaga will lose during the regular season or in the WCC Tournament ... soooo...I would expect them to continue to move up... the WCC effect...

Gonzaga will be tested in conference. We should on paper win then all but the likes of San Fran, Gaels and BYU will always show up to play our guys. I really enjoy watching SF they have a great PG who is really fun to watch, reminds a lil of Pangos.

Reborn
01-07-2019, 11:27 AM
USF is legit. I've watched them a couple of times now, and they are for real. They have two post players who will certainly challenge Gonzaga. They are bigger than our guys, but that Tillie can play, it will help. I'm also glad Geno can play now because I think he's the guy that can stay with their point guard. I was impressed with Geno's defense last Sat.

Go Zags!!!

maynard g krebs
01-07-2019, 01:56 PM
Teamrankings.com gives the Zags a 75% chance of winning at SMC, something like high 70's @ USF, something in the 80's @ BYU, 90ish @USD, etc. Heavy favorites in all, but the overall probability is still one more loss at some random time.

MontanaCoyote
01-07-2019, 02:12 PM
Teamrankings.com gives the Zags a 75% chance of winning at SMC, something like high 70's @ USF, something in the 80's @ BYU, 90ish @USD, etc. Heavy favorites in all, but the overall probability is still one more loss at some random time.

“Overall Probability v Probability ? Don’t know what the distinction is but I kinda like it anyway. Still, something tells me the
Zags won’t lose another one all the way thru the WAC tourney. After that? At some random time the probability they could lose goes up.

ZagDad84
01-07-2019, 02:16 PM
Zags back up to #5

Lady Zags up to #14, their highest ranking ever.

Not bad, not bad at all.

Congrats to both teams,

ZagDad

bartruff1
01-07-2019, 04:09 PM
“Overall Probability v Probability ? Don’t know what the distinction is but I kinda like it anyway. Still, something tells me the
Zags won’t lose another one all the way thru the WAC tourney. After that? At some random time the probability they could lose goes up.

Congratulations.....another algebra free day :agreed: You obviously meant the WCC...

NotoriousZ
01-07-2019, 04:59 PM

And if we played in the WAC I’m quite sure it would be hard to drop a game. :p

gonzagafan62
01-07-2019, 05:31 PM

Zags will lose at least one, too tough to win all even in wcc

Markburn1
01-07-2019, 05:40 PM

Heavy favorites for each game the rest of the conference season. Still, the odds of running the table sit at 35.8%. That’s quite high, but it points to the difficulty of winning out until the conference tournament.

Zagceo
01-07-2019, 06:59 PM
That's the benefit of playing such a loaded nonconference schedule when you're the clear favorite to win your league championship. Gonzaga played plenty of good opponents and beat plenty of good opponents in November and December, and it figures to run through the WCC as usual. Teams ahead of the Bulldogs will continue to fall. Killian Tillie returned to action against Santa Clara, and this team will have the luxury of being able to use the next few months to experiment with different lineup combinations before March. Don't be shocked to see them wind up in the top three soon.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-01-07/college-basketball-rankings-texas-tech-gonzaga-rise-new-ap

White lightning
01-07-2019, 07:07 PM
Zags have 15 regular season games left. In each game they will be favored and I believe they will sweep the conference. With Crandall playing with the "this is my last year don't leave anything in the tank" attitude I think they will pull it off. He's going to be the guy to shut down Ford, Ferrari, and Haws. I say when they are on the floor put Crandall on them like we did with Melson last year. Perkins, Rui,Clarke, and the other outstanding Zags will handle the rest. We have not witnessed the full potential of this team this season.
It's going to awesome!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rennis
01-07-2019, 07:35 PM

I'd take that bet.

MontanaCoyote
01-07-2019, 07:49 PM
Congratulations.....another algebra free day :agreed: You obviously meant the WCC...

Correct! And the probability of me making such dim witted errors increases every day. Thanks for the correction!

West Side Lady
01-07-2019, 08:15 PM
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-01-07/college-basketball-rankings-texas-tech-gonzaga-rise-new-ap

"That's the benefit of playing such a loaded nonconference schedule when you're the clear favorite to win your league championship"

Ayep.
I'm so excited to see Tillie back. Crandall too, but have missed Tillie and all he's capable of bringing.

thespywhozaggedme
01-07-2019, 08:19 PM

The talent gap between us and our conference mates is HUGE; I mean, not close.

Mantua
01-07-2019, 08:33 PM

Winning out depends on how quickly the team gels with Tillie and Crandall back in the lineup. The last game felt disjointed especially with ZN’s inconsistency. His timing seemed thrown off by the problems with spacing. If the new glitches are worked out we could be unstoppable although I never trust mid-schedule conference games in the Bay Area.

thespywhozaggedme
01-07-2019, 08:35 PM
Winning out depends on how quickly the team gels with Tillie and Crandall back in the lineup. The last game felt disjointed especially with ZN’s inconsistency. His timing seemed thrown off by the problems with spacing.

They would've ran the table in the WCC without those two.

Mantua
01-07-2019, 08:42 PM
They would've ran the table in the WCC without those two.

I’m not talking about players, rather the adjustment of integrating GC and TK, which I think will happen soon.

I voted for sweeping the WCC in the poll. The chances are great.

thespywhozaggedme
01-07-2019, 08:59 PM
I’m not talking about players, rather the adjustment of integrating GC and TK, which I think will happen soon.

I voted for sweeping the WCC in the poll. The chances are great.

Ah, gotcha

Zagceo
01-14-2019, 09:24 AM
same

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

MontanaCoyote
01-14-2019, 10:05 AM
Michigan v Michigan State twice in last 2+ weeks of season. That’ll sure be interesting if both keep going as they have to date.

DixieZag
01-14-2019, 03:07 PM
Even if we win out, it seems to me that our high water mark might well be #3, if only bc a few of those teams will have huge statement wins, while we toil away, getting better (I presume).

And that's just fine with me.

Hope we can grab a one seed, I find it to be the big advantage, if for no other reason than to get some swag coming in.

thespywhozaggedme
01-14-2019, 03:25 PM
Even if we win out, it seems to me that our high water mark might well be #3, if only bc a few of those teams will have huge statement wins, while we toil away, getting better (I presume).

And that's just fine with me.

Hope we can grab a one seed, I find it to be the big advantage, if for no other reason than to get some swag coming in.

You're forgetting though that those other teams will also have several more losses, where as we will have none.

JPtheBeasta
01-14-2019, 03:28 PM

BYU at the Kennel has me nervous any more.

DixieZag
01-14-2019, 08:24 PM
You're forgetting though that those other teams will also have several more losses, where as we will have none.

I am so going to remember the "we will have none" quote.

The WCC isn't the number 14 conference in the country this year, and believe it or not, they still all want to beat us and have players who practice, coaches who coach, all that. Oh, and believe it or not, we are not going undefeated in the WCC every year forever.

I suspect we'll lose one, and more likely two than none. And it's not bc we're "bad."

gonzagafan62
01-14-2019, 08:46 PM

You forget how that worked out for you last time?

thespywhozaggedme
01-14-2019, 08:46 PM
I am so going to remember the "we will have none" quote.

The WCC isn't the number 14 conference in the country this year, and believe it or not, they still all want to beat us and have players who practice, coaches who coach, all that. Oh, and believe it or not, we are not going undefeated in the WCC every year forever.

I suspect we'll lose one, and more likely two than none. And it's not bc we're "bad."

You still just do not get how talented we are compared to everyone else in our conference. To repeat, we have four or five players on the current team that will be on an NBA roster. No other league opponent has more than one. As long as we don't have any major injuries I just don't see this team losing any games in the conference. There's just too much of a talent gap between us and the rest of them

JPtheBeasta
01-14-2019, 09:40 PM
You still just do not get how talented we are compared to everyone else in our conference. To repeat, we have four or five players on the current team that will be on an NBA roster. No other league opponent has more than one. As long as we don't have any major injuries I just don't see this team losing any games in the conference. There's just too much of a talent gap between us and the rest of them

What comes to my mind is a hockey team with a hot goalie, a baseball team with an ace on the mound, or a basketball team with a hot-shooting player... it doesn't take much for upsets to happen.

gonzagafan62
01-14-2019, 10:27 PM
What comes to my mind is a hockey team with a hot goalie, a baseball team with an ace on the mound, or a basketball team with a hot-shooting player... it doesn't take much for upsets to happen.

Nope. Sure doesn’t. Not really sure how many times we have to see BYU, USF, USD, or SMC beat us before he understands lol

Anyone remember the last time we went undefeated in conference? I’ll let you know. 2013...

Sure wasn’t 2015 when we went to elite eight.
Sure wasn’t 2017 when we went to final four.

Before that I think you have to go back to 2009 lol. So twice in what 10 years? That’s 20% lol. That’s not a good percentage to bet against

ProVeeZag
01-14-2019, 11:43 PM
Anybody else hear an echo?? Could have sworn I've read this in another thread just a couple days ago. Semi-verbatim

sittingon50
01-15-2019, 12:40 AM
Anybody else hear an echo??

Fortunately my tinnitus is muffling it a bit.

thespywhozaggedme
01-15-2019, 07:26 AM
You forget how that worked out for you last time?

For me? I have no skin in the game. What I write or post has no bearing on what takes place on the court whatsoever. Remember we are completely anonymous, irrelevant dorks posting on a message board. That's it; nothing more, nothing less.

jazzdelmar
01-15-2019, 07:33 AM
For me? I have no skin in the game. What I write or post has no bearing on what takes place on the court whatsoever. Remember we are completely anonymous, irrelevant dorks posting on a message board. That's it; nothing more, nothing less.

Speak for yourself, Spy.

gonzagafan62
01-15-2019, 07:35 AM
Speak for yourself, Spy.

This. Thx jazz

willandi
01-15-2019, 07:42 AM

Most here know, or can find out easily enough, who I am.

Markburn1
01-15-2019, 07:49 AM
dork
[dôrk]

NOUN
NORTH AMERICAN
informal
a contemptible, socially inept person.
synonyms:
bore · dull person · dweeb

Who qualifies?

jazzdelmar
01-15-2019, 07:54 AM
Impressive self-recognition by Spy. Congrats.

dork
[dôrk]

NOUN
NORTH AMERICAN
informal
synonyms:

Who qualifies?

GoZags
01-15-2019, 08:22 AM
dork
[dôrk]

NOUN
NORTH AMERICAN
informal
synonyms:

Who qualifies?

Markburn1 for threeeeeeeee !!!!!! GOT IT !!!!! Nothing but twine.

thespywhozaggedme
01-15-2019, 09:23 AM
Speak for yourself, Spy.

I do. You wanna delude yourself and think that what you post is relevant, knock yourself out. Just let me remind you that we're grown men and women talking about young men trying to put a ball through a hoop; in the grand scheme of things there aren't too many things less trivial.

thespywhozaggedme
01-15-2019, 09:24 AM
dork
[dôrk]

NOUN
NORTH AMERICAN
informal
synonyms:

Who qualifies?

Me. I embrace my dorkiness.

thespywhozaggedme
01-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Markburn1 for threeeeeeeee !!!!!! GOT IT !!!!! Nothing but twine.

So serious. So, so serious

Zagceo
01-15-2019, 09:27 AM
Me. I embrace my dorkiness.

and it shows.

you do make me laugh. so dramatic in 6th grade way )

thespywhozaggedme
01-15-2019, 09:31 AM
and it shows.

you do make me laugh. so dramatic in 6th grade way )

Yes, I have that effect on people. I don't take myself seriously at all and neither should anyone else (take me seriously at all).

Reborn
01-15-2019, 09:46 AM
I also voted that the Zags would go undefeated the rest of the way up to the NCAA Tournament. And I believe this not because I feel the conference is weaker this year. It's not. It's going to be a real challenge for the Zags to accomplish that. BUT! I believe the Zags are that good with Tillie and Crandle. I also believe that Coach Few had them play a tough OOC schedule to prepare them for the tough conference games this year. The WCC this year will certainly help prepare the Zags for the NCAA Tournament. I'm going with Dickie V when he said when he was announcing our game with UNC (and we were losing) that the Zags would go 20-0 the rest of the way. He stated that he said that because he good he believed the Zags would be with Tillie in the lineup (or did he say Tillie and Candrall).

Go Zags!!!

MontanaCoyote
01-15-2019, 10:39 AM
I also voted that the Zags would go undefeated the rest of the way up to the NCAA Tournament. And I believe this not because I feel the conference is weaker this year. It's not. It's going to be a real challenge for the Zags to accomplish that. BUT! I believe the Zags are that good with Tillie and Crandle. I also believe that Coach Few had them play a tough OOC schedule to prepare them for the tough conference games this year. The WCC this year will certainly help prepare the Zags for the NCAA Tournament. I'm going with Dickie V when he said when he was announcing our game with UNC (and we were losing) that the Zags would go 20-0 the rest of the way. He stated that he said that because he good he believed the Zags would be with Tillie in the lineup (or did he say Tillie and Candrall).

Go Zags!!!

I’m a real Sergeant Schultz when it comes to basketball IQ (“I Know Nooothing”) but my gut tells me the Zags will not lose in league play or in the WCC tournament. I can’t prove it, I just know it’s true.

bartruff1
01-15-2019, 10:59 AM
I’m a real Sergeant Schultz when it comes to basketball IQ (“I Know Nooothing”) but my gut tells me the Zags will not lose in league play or in the WCC tournament. I can’t prove it, I just know it’s true.

No one has been able to contain their offense to this point....and now it is even better and deeper....sure they might lose... but I doubt it....

When a first team All American scores more than 20 in a game and gets very few votes as the Unit...that is a indication of how much firepower this team has …..

DixieZag
01-15-2019, 02:10 PM
No one has been able to contain their offense to this point....and now it is even better and deeper....sure they might lose... but I doubt it....

When a first team All American scores more than 20 in a game and gets very few votes as the Unit...that is a indication of how much firepower this team has …..

For me anyway, it's not actually even about whether we lose or not so much as just the blithe assumption in the post "the other teams will lose, whereas we will not." As if it is a matter of absolute course that we can't possibly lose one, no disclaimer, not even a "likely will remain undefeated."

Right now, the WCC pretty close to the Pac, and so when some just "presume" an undefeated conference season it's just kinda rude to the players and coaches ....on our team! The guys that have to go out and do it. It would be an incredible accomplishment, diminished by those pointing out others have no "NBA players" or "One NBA player."

Markburn1
01-15-2019, 02:26 PM
This is correct. For any WCC team to have any shot at a postseason,NCAA or NIT, they have to beat Gonzaga. Therefore, both coaches and players point to that game with heightened intensity. It’s their ticket to the next level. What Few has done over the years keeping the kids prepared is remarkable.
For me anyway, it's not actually even about whether we lose or not so much as just the blithe assumption in the post "the other teams will lose, whereas we will not." As if it is a matter of absolute course that we can't possibly lose one, no disclaimer, not even a "likely will remain undefeated."

Right now, the WCC pretty close to the Pac, and so when some just "presume" an undefeated conference season it's just kinda rude to the players and coaches ....on our team! The guys that have to go out and do it. It would be an incredible accomplishment, diminished by those pointing out others have no "NBA players" or "One NBA player."

DixieZag
01-15-2019, 02:32 PM
easy peasy

Ironically, that's exactly what NWG and the boys thought as they took the floor against BYU on Senior Night, undefeated, and 4x the talent of the Cougars.

It's not easy.

thespywhozaggedme
01-15-2019, 02:47 PM
Ironically, that's exactly what NWG and the boys thought as they took the floor against BYU on Senior Night, undefeated, and 4x the talent of the Cougars.

It's not easy.

There was one full time NBA player on that team; Zach Collins and one two way guy in JWIII. There are four or five on this current team. I just don't think you're showing this team the proper respect that it deserves.

Markburn1
01-15-2019, 04:03 PM
There was one full time NBA player on that team; Zach Collins and one two way guy in JWIII. There are four or five on this current team. I just don't think you're showing this team the proper respect that it deserves.

Dix IS showing respect. An undefeated conference season is an outstanding achievement any year including this one.

Reborn
01-15-2019, 04:50 PM
I see that Joe Lunardi dropped San Francisco from the top 64 teams in his latest Brackets. That disappoints me. But I certainly understand Joe by now. I'll be rooting for them the rest of the way accept when they play us. I like that team.

Markburn1
01-15-2019, 04:50 PM
The other dork and I think they are a nearly overwhelming favorite to win out.... when a circumspect coach like Few says something like "….regardless of the score we are going to run a pressing defense for 30 minutes..……." he is explaining that he is not intending to embarrass you..... but that he needs to improve his defense....

Of course there are upsets....duh.....that is why they call them upsets....if a 16 can beat a 1 anything is possible in college basketball...if a team can win a game with a 75' thee to end the half and the game .... but what are the odds ???

No one even suggested it is easy or is showing any lack of respect....but if they don't win out they should say 5 Rosaries and make 3 Stations of the Cross.... my usual penance ….

I also think they are overwhelming favorites. It's just not easy to win 16 conference games in a row. Teamrankings has them at 47.4% to win out which is a huge number. Still, that means it's about a 50-50 proposition to win out the remaining schedule. It's just not that easy.

And the other dorkfish(continuing the zoo theme) did accuse Dix of not giving proper respect to this Zag team.
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/gonzaga-bulldogs/projections

Markburn1
01-15-2019, 04:58 PM
I see that Joe Lunardi dropped San Francisco from the top 64 teams in his latest Brackets. That disappoints me. But I certainly understand Joe by now. I'll be rooting for them the rest of the way accept when they play us. I like that team.

I like them too. Problem is that their two best games are losses. Buffalo and Gonzaga. They have to beat Gonzaga to get a spot in the bracket. Their other chance for a good win was smoked out against Arizona State.

It's not Lunardi's fault. All Joe does is predict what the bracket might look like.

thespywhozaggedme
01-15-2019, 05:30 PM
The other dork and I think they are a nearly overwhelming favorite to win out.... when a circumspect coach like Few says something like "….regardless of the score we are going to run a pressing defense for 30 minutes..……." he is explaining that he is not intending to embarrass you..... but that he needs to improve his defense....

Of course there are upsets....duh.....that is why they call them upsets....if a 16 can beat a 1 anything is possible in college basketball...if a team can win a game with a 75' thee to end the half and the game .... but what are the odds ???

No one even suggested it is easy or is showing any lack of respect....but if they don't win out they should say 5 Rosaries and make 3 Stations of the Cross.... my usual penance ….

Agreed, I don't think it'll be a cakewalk, we're every conference foes 'Super Bowl" to use a cross sports analogy. I just think we're just superior in talent to every other team.

jayray
01-15-2019, 10:17 PM
This is correct. For any WCC team to have any shot at a postseason,NCAA or NIT, they have to beat Gonzaga. Therefore, both coaches and players point to that game with heightened intensity. It’s their ticket to the next level. What Few has done over the years keeping the kids prepared is remarkable.

I don't think this is true at all. San Fransisco doesn't have to beat GU to get into the NIT and with the WCC ranked 9th it is possible if they win out their season with only two more loses (one in the WCC finals) to GU they are a bubble team and most likely in. A San Diego win in conference over GU doesn't get them a postseason bid anywhere. I also don't see GU not dropping a game somewhere like years past.

Reborn
01-15-2019, 10:31 PM
I like them too. Problem is that their two best games are losses. Buffalo and Gonzaga. They have to beat Gonzaga to get a spot in the bracket. Their other chance for a good win was smoked out against Arizona State.

It's not Lunardi's fault. All Joe does is predict what the bracket might look like.

I agree.