PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Santa Clara. Post Game thoughts and analysis

Reborn
01-06-2019, 12:00 AM
Gonzaga 91
Santa Clara 48

I think this is the 3rd game in the last 5 or 6 that we've held these teams to under 50. I think this has been really important to Mark Few and now his team too. I've been so worried about the bad defense and high scores by our opponents because I think it's been said that no team has won the national championship if they are not inn the top 20 teams on defense. 9 blks tonight, 14 steels and 23 turnovers. And I'm really glad that the Zags played hard. Randall and Jones each got 15 minutes of playing time and Tillie 9. I looked again and Petruseve got 13 minutes and 8 points. Finally, all of our starters played the same amount of minutes (26-28).

There wasn't anyone who could defend either Rui or Clarke. Rui had 18 at half and finished with 25. Clarke finished with 16. Tillie and Crandall both returned to action tonight, Crandall finished with 8 points and Tillie 5. They both made a 3 point shot. Tillie looks bigger than he was last year. Geno played great tonight. KIspert hit 3 out of six three pointers.

The floor in K2 just seemed crowded to me. There were so many good players on the bench that needed to play. Few was running players in and out, and kind of made me dizzy. And they were all playing good. Thank God we were playing Santa Clara. The chemistry was not good, and there wasn't a whole lot of cohesiveness either.

I enjoyed the game a lot because it was so good to see Tillie and Geno.

Go Zags!!!

Outraged
01-06-2019, 12:55 AM
I really like Rui's defense. When I hear shot clock violation it's like making a three point shot. crandall is am excellent defender. Love us benefiting from offensive fouls. A 40 point win at home is equal to a five point win at Santa Clara. The defense is everything.

Zagger
01-06-2019, 06:04 AM
The crowd last night gave Tillie a really good welcoming (Geno too) - looked like everyone was on their feet clapping if not cheering. I watched Killian pretty closely during shootaround and during his time on the court and did not notice any limping or favoring of his foot. He looked pretty good and happy to be playing.

It was an odd game in that SC basically clogged up the key and seemed to foul time and again; Zags making 22 of 31 FTs. Zag 3 point shooting was 5 of 19. Geno and Killian each made one of 2 but Norvell was 0 for 4. Others getting shut out on 3s were Perkins, Clarke, Jones, Petrusev and Foster. Thanks to Kispert, Geno, Killian and Beach the Zags managed 26.3% 3PT shooting. I think it's going to be good for the team to play SF at SF ..... beating teams by 40+ points just is not bringing out the best in Zag play IHMO. They need better competition. One can certainly understand that and I sure hope the team continues to improve their skills on defense.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-06-2019, 06:53 AM
Rui is incredible and continues to improve. I was most impressed by him of all last night. Shooting efficiency is off the charts. He and Clarke obviously dominant too but I wonder if what they are doing is more indicative of superior athleticism and size vs WCC foes than pure basketball talent. I’m sure they’ll be ready to prove it vs big boy teams in NCAA and Few & staff are very experienced w prepping the team for the uptick in postseason competition.

Fantastic seeing Tillie and Crandall begin process of getting into game shape and coaches begin figuring out the rotations. Crandall is obviously a LOT more comfortable and confident. The injury time may be a blessing in disguise for him as he could just build relationships and get more familiar w Zags’ system without any pressure to perform. He looked really really determined on D. Nervous watching Tillie but cleared by doctor to play so may as well throw him in there and maximize game experience to get him back into shape and fully confident on his ankle.

Perkins is tough as hell, smart, competitor and I love his game but that missed breakaway layup (where Crandall got called for over the back on rebound attempt) made me cringe. Josh just doesn’t have great athleticism. With offense so efficient, I’d rather be pull it out and wait for teammates then try to score in transition w defender closing in.

Final thought: agree w earlier poster. Road game vs USF is just the challenge this team needs to get locked in and play more focused and disciplined. Great win vs SCU but so easy that they seemed to be coasting for long stretches in 2nd half. Human nature but it won’t help them improve.

RenoZag
01-06-2019, 07:44 AM
Jim Meehan coverage ( from the S-R ) http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/jan/05/analysis-killian-tillie-geno-crandall-contribute-i/

Tillie and Crandall certainly have some rust to shake off – Tillie fouled out in just 9 minutes – but they elevated the energy level of their teammates and the fans.

“They all stood up for Geno and me (when they entered with 14:23 left in the first half), I just loved it,” Tillie said. “It’s been a long time. It was good to have fun with the guys.”

Recap & Highlights (featuring audio clips from Clarke, Few, Crandall, Perkins, & Tillie ) http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/jan/05/updates-gonzaga-hosts-santa-clara-in-wcc-opener/

Official Box Score: https://gozags.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=6800

Zagdawg
01-06-2019, 08:39 AM
G-Muhneyy

@genocrandall
10h10 hours ago
More
Felt amazing to be out there w my brothers again.
Zag Nation is the best in the world.
Thanks for the never ending support.
����

Almost cried seeing @KillianTillie out there tonight.

Killian Tillie

@KillianTillie
10h10 hours ago
More
Felt good to be back with the Brodie ! #lovezagfans #Comebackszn à McCarthey Athletic Center https://www.instagram.com/p/BsSGORIgvy-/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=10825qib6khm8 …

bartruff1
01-06-2019, 08:45 AM
If Tillie can play to anywhere near his potential …..Gonzaga will not lose in the WCC....

MontanaCoyote
01-06-2019, 08:57 AM
Gonzaga 91
Santa Clara 48

I think this is the 3rd game in the last 5 or 6 that we've held these teams to under 50. I think this has been really important to Mark Few and now his team too. I've been so worried about the bad defense and high scores by our opponents because I think it's been said that no team has won the national championship if they are not inn the top 20 teams on defense. 9 blks tonight, 14 steels and 23 turnovers. And I'm really glad that the Zags played hard. Randall and Jones each got 15 minutes of playing time and Tillie 9. I looked again and Petruseve got 13 minutes and 8 points. Finally, all of our starters played the same amount of minutes (26-28).

There wasn't anyone who could defend either Rui or Clarke. Rui had 18 at half and finished with 25. Clarke finished with 16. Tillie and Crandall both returned to action tonight, Crandall finished with 8 points and Tillie 5. They both made a 3 point shot. Tillie looks bigger than he was last year. Geno played great tonight. KIspert hit 3 out of six three pointers.

The floor in K2 just seemed crowded to me. There were so many good players on the bench that needed to play. Few was running players in and out, and kind of made me dizzy. And they were all playing good. Thank God we were playing Santa Clara. The chemistry was not good, and there wasn't a whole lot of cohesiveness either.

I enjoyed the game a lot because it was so good to see Tillie and Geno.

Go Zags!!!

What I don’t understand, given your comments on defense, is just how hard it is for the Zags to improve their Kenpom AdjD
Ranking. It was 51 before last nights game, 50 after. Yeah, it was in the ‘60’s, but still! To get it into the 30’s (where one poster said he’d like it to be by tourney time) seems like mission impossible. Geeze, what’s it goin’ take!?

gueastcoast
01-06-2019, 10:57 AM
Geeze, what’s it goin’ take!?

We might have to pitch a few shutouts?.... :roll:

JPtheBeasta
01-06-2019, 12:16 PM
I looked and the difference between an adjusted defensive rank of 30 and 50 (points allowed per 100 possessions) is 94 and 96.1, respectively. At face value, that doesn’t seem like much.

thespywhozaggedme
01-06-2019, 12:20 PM
If Tillie can play to anywhere near his potential …..Gonzaga will not lose in the WCC....

If Tillie didn't play for the rest of the season Gonzaga would not lose in the WCC. The disparity gap in talent between us and our conference mates is HUGE.

bballbeachbum
01-06-2019, 12:49 PM
a couple of other notes to add to the stuff above

check out some of the D stats from last night

23 TOs forced
9 blocks
14 steals
SCU FG 33% 17-51
SCU 3pt 24% 4-17
even the FT D was good, SCU shooting just 10-22
Zags 30 D boards vs. 11 O boards SCU

willandi
01-06-2019, 12:51 PM
The last few games, it seems like the Zags have used Rui to open up the floor. At the start of the games he drives, either to the hoop or to pull up, and it forces the others defense to collapse. THEN the floor is pretty wide open for the other Zags to do what they want.

bballbeachbum
01-06-2019, 12:59 PM
The last few games, it seems like the Zags have used Rui to open up the floor. At the start of the games he drives, either to the hoop or to pull up, and it forces the others defense to collapse. THEN the floor is pretty wide open for the other Zags to do what they want.

great observation man, and they've done it before too to much success. he's the guy who commands a double team or makes you pay, from the elbow, the FT line, the lo block, top of the key, the low block extended..it's the full on E package but Rui has more toolbox (as much as I loved E). as we all know, his mid range bag of skills is sick, a real killer in today's game with defenses that want you to take that shot! and he loves that shot. like you said, makes everything else easier, for him, his teammates. now with Tille adding the depth, can play even more freely

zagzilla
01-06-2019, 01:56 PM
I liked that we won but I loved HOW we won.

Steals and forced turnovers were the biggest highlight of the game for me. Lots of deflections too-Wonderif they still track that as stat like they used to?

The thing I noticed was how "handsy" the Zags were on defense-really digging at the ball and harassing the ball handlers. Also more traps and presses than usual. Perhaps with the newfound depth due to the emergence of Jones and Petrusev along with the return of Tillie and Geno, Few is going to be more agressive on D.

I like this style of defense and we have the athletes to play it. In the dance, this is what works. Like they say, the refs can't call everything. You need to make your opponent uncomfortable leading to takeaways and transition offense which is a strength of ours.

ZZ

WallaWallaZag
01-06-2019, 08:36 PM

rui is getting better and better at passing out of the post to open perimeter shooters...crandall's three was on a pretty advanced crosscourt look after a series of post moves...i don't think he could have done that at the start of the season.