View Full Version : First Ten Games

Akzag
11-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Revisiting this - just in poll form ...

11/11 - Montana
11/13 - Idaho
11/17 - UC Riverside
11/22 - Western Kentucky @ GAS
11/23 - TBD @ GAS ( Texas Tech / Alaska-Anchorage )
11/24 - TBD @GAS ( Butler / Michigan / Eastern Washington / Virginia Tech )
11/29 - @ Saint Joseph's
12/1 - vs. UConn @ Boston
12/5 - Washington State
12/8 - Cal State Northridge

Akzag
11-05-2007, 03:22 PM
For the record, I think we win all of the home games, though I expect a couple to be "too close" - Montana, WSU.

But I think that we lose a couple away games. Back to Back games ( & ... to Back @ GAS) are going to be a tough early test. Part of that "gelling" process.

I remain hopeful to be proven wrong.

lawzag
11-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm thinking 8 - 2; although that may be too optimistic, its my prediction.

Probably a couple of close, ugly games, early on, but we still win those.
It's the Butler, UConn & WSU games I'm most worried about.

hockeyzag
11-05-2007, 03:32 PM
If we get Josh back and he plays well, 10-0, the only one I think could go either way is WSU, but we're at home and we have last years lost as motivation. THe kennel is going to be nuts for that one. CAN'T WAIT!!!!

zag67
11-05-2007, 03:45 PM
I also said 8-2, but I agree with Lawzag on the games that concern me the most.

former1dog
11-05-2007, 03:54 PM
I voted 8-2, but anything from 10-0 to 6-4 wouldn't surprise me. BTW - I don't think a 6-4 start dooms us, but it would make the rest of the season tough.

cggonzaga
11-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Former, just curious, which 4 teams do you think could beat us?

Reborn
11-05-2007, 04:02 PM
I voted 10-0.

lothar98zag
11-05-2007, 04:10 PM
8-2

One point to remember about the GAS - if GU makes the final they will be facing a team that played 2 games in 3 days while GU will have played 2 straight days.

spudzag
11-05-2007, 04:17 PM
just curious, which 4 teams do you think could beat us?

Definately not the BB mind that Former is but, you ask the key question. I think we miss the championship at the GAS and drop to UCONN and WSU. W. Kentucky is the other real possibility depending on spead of development.

lothar98zag
11-05-2007, 04:19 PM
travel may be a lingering issue for the team when they play @ St Joes

another issue @ St Joes is it will be GU's first true road game of the year.

Nevtelen
11-05-2007, 04:39 PM
That's exactly why I think we drop the St. Joe's game, unfortunatly. Plus the GAS championship. WSU really depends on when we get Josh and Pendo back and what kind of shape they're in - 100% we'll win it. If they're less than that, it won't be pretty.

HOOTER
11-05-2007, 05:09 PM
6-4? Who's responsible for that dire prediction?:confused: Shame on you!:D

Ziggy
11-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Hey,10 and 0 is unrealistically optimistic, I'd rather be suprised! On the other hand 9 and 1 or 8 and 2, as I voted, puts us in great stead for conference play; confidence up and lessons learned.

HOOTER
11-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Just for the record, I voted 9-1. I'm hoping for 10-0 just like everyone else here but a loss or two at the beginning of the season wouldn't be the end of the world.

former1dog
11-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Former, just curious, which 4 teams do you think could beat us?

Well, its one of those "any given day" things. Do I think we'll lose 4? No. Do I think its possible that we could lose 4? Yes.

Butler, WSU, and UConn are all losable games. Montana or St. Joes could produce the other loss. And, not to be too gloomy but the Hilltoppers are gunning for us.

Like I said, though, I picked 8-2, with the most likely losses (if we lose) to Butler(if we play them) and UConn.

Like everyone else, if we lose any single game I'll go into at least a 24 hour funk of disappointment like I do after every loss.

Here's to 10-0! I hope we pull it off.

Hell, here's to running the table and going 6-0 in the NCAA's!! :cheers:

bartruff1
11-05-2007, 07:01 PM
6-4? Who's responsible for that dire prediction?:confused: Shame on you!:D Me...maybe 5-5...this is a unproven team...I am hopeful they can match last years record but I don't think that will rate a at large...with the tourney at SD it will be quite a accomplishment to win...I hope you are all right at 10-0 and 8-2 and 5 seeds and final fours etc....but I am certainly not ashamed about a honest "guess"... obviously, what I think or anyone else thinks will not effect the outcome...events will do that..

cggonzaga
11-05-2007, 07:16 PM
I thought 9-1 with Wazzu being the loss. Not that I think we can't beat them but they're just so experienced. I really don't see many close calls in the first 10. Western Kentucky will play with us for a while but then we'll blow through the GAS field. Uconn will also play with us before losing. I think we beat Wazzu but only because it's played at home. 10-0 is very reachable imo.

HOOTER
11-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Me...maybe 5-5.

oh ye' of little faith. At this rate you'll have them pegged to go winless before the end of the night. Your realism is beginning to border on pessimism. I guess we'll talk again after the first ten are decided. To be continued....

BTW, congrats to me for my 100th post! I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself!

JoeZag
11-06-2007, 06:18 AM

You nailed it. My sentiments exactly.

DoggieDogpound
11-06-2007, 08:15 AM
I have to agree with former1dog on his assessment, although I am not as worried about Uconn.

Reborn
11-06-2007, 11:45 AM
I like bartruff's answer. He's giving his honest opinion at this stage of the season (no games played yet). Heck, we're all guessing and some of us are hoping. I think we can win all ten games for exactily the same reason that the "so called" realists have reasoned that we can't. Yes, UCONN could beat us in Boston, but we could beat them too. Yes, Boston is closer to UCONN, but we're ranked higher. Yes, WSU could beat us because they are ranked higher, but we could beat them as well because we're playing in the Kennel. We lost a game in K2 last year, so I think it's more realistic to think that we won't lose again there this whole year. Zags just don't lose in K2. It's part of what being a Zag is all about.

Western Kentucky could beat us. They have a preseason first team All American playing for them, and they have real good 3 pt shooters. However, they don't play defense nor rebound. We could beat them too because we are ranked higher, and we have more experience playing in the GAS, as well as playing well in preseason tournaments. I predict we will win the GAS because the tournament is somewhat down this year, and I just think that GU is the best team in that tournament (realistically). Why realistically? The preseason pollsters have voted us as better than any team in the GAS.

I really don't get why the pessimists, in this case, are called the Realists. Yes, they are cautious. But is cautiousness a characterist of a realist?

IMO, the most realistic vote is 10-0....:D

former1dog
11-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Reborn,

Just FYI, you're the first person in this thread to use the term realist or refer to realistic chances.

Spudzag used the word real, but in a different context.

Just sayin'. ;)

BTW - I hope your guess is better than mine. :D

Rubbadub
11-06-2007, 01:16 PM
You know Rub said 10-0.

TexasZagFan
11-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Revisiting this - just in poll form ...

11/11 - Montana
11/13 - Idaho
11/17 - UC Riverside
11/22 - Western Kentucky @ GAS
11/23 - TBD @ GAS ( Texas Tech / Alaska-Anchorage )
11/24 - TBD @GAS ( Butler / Michigan / Eastern Washington / Virginia Tech )
11/29 - @ Saint Joseph's
12/1 - vs. UConn @ Boston
12/5 - Washington State
12/8 - Cal State Northridge

I'm going with 7-3, losses to game 3 GAS, St. Joe's, UConn. One could make an argument for 10-0, as well. I really want to see this team peak in March. It was tough for the Zags two years ago, after that game against Mich St. in Maui. It seemed everybody called that the best played game in the country prior to March Madness, and rightfully so.

Vizagra
11-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Have faith people. JEEZ

Reborn
11-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Good post TexasZagFan: "I really want to see this team peak in March. It was tough for the Zags two years ago, after that game against Mich St. in Maui...."

The Zags actually had other fantastic games that year. The game against Oklahoma State in Seattle for sure. Morrison's banker at the end of the game to win it has to go down as one of the great winning shots of all time (after the shot by Calvary to send the Zags into the Elite 8 in '99). I can also think of the loss to UW in Seattle that year. Another great game. It was a great year for Zag basketball I think. Personally, I don't believe our loss to UCLA that year had anything to do with the Maui tournament, and the win over Michigan State. I could give other pretty good arguments to the the reason the Zags lost to UClA.

For me the win over Michigan State, and the one point loss to UCONN in the finals just showed the country what a great team the Zags had. It gave us hope that we just might make it to the Promise Land. I think for the first time we really believed it was possible. I remember that we really could have won that UCONN game too. They made a pretty incredible shot (a ten foot jump hook by a guard I believe) to win it at the buzzer. We really did come within a very lucky steal (and maybe a missed call) of maybe making it to the Final 4.

That's why I am hoping that we DO play good at the beginning of the year. It's never a bad thing, in my opinion, to play very well...even at the beginning of the year.

WKU Slam Dunk
11-06-2007, 04:35 PM
nm

BobZag
12-07-2007, 01:34 PM

Mostly to bump, but some good foresight in this thread. F1Dog and Spudzag to name only two.