• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Birddog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

GU/DU Broadcast ++++

I only caught the second half of that blowout because I was on the road. A game situation that could have easily devolved into jokes, insults and the like stayed amazingly on course and professional. "2 in the booth" provides a very professional platform for a broadcast, 3 is just too many. I hope KHQ and Root compare the quality of previous games this year to last night and make appropriate adjustments if not this year then next. The play by play and color commentary were excellent IMO especially considering the circumstances.

I do have one criticism though, the director (I assume) doesn't cut away from the free throw shooter to the hoop in time to see if the ball goes in. This has happened in numerous games this year and I find it very annoying. Small complaint about an otherwise first rate job.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
    I only caught the second half of that blowout because I was on the road. A game situation that could have easily devolved into jokes, insults and the like stayed amazingly on course and professional. "2 in the booth" provides a very professional platform for a broadcast, 3 is just too many. I hope KHQ and Root compare the quality of previous games this year to last night and make appropriate adjustments if not this year then next. The play by play and color commentary were excellent IMO especially considering the circumstances.

I do have one criticism though, the director (I assume) doesn't cut away from the free throw shooter to the hoop in time to see if the ball goes in. This has happened in numerous games this year and I find it very annoying. Small complaint about an otherwise first rate job.
    Agree BD.

Fox is the guy I'd keep from the current 3 man crew and Sam Adams is light years better than Heister (my opinion)
    sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Bogozags
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
      Agree BD.

Fox is the guy I'd keep from the current 3 man crew and Sam Adams is light years better than Heister (my opinion)
      Am curious...when did Heister begin his stint with GU basketball?

Comment

• gonzagafan62
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
        Am curious...when did Heister begin his stint with GU basketball?
        They said it in broadcast. 2003.

EDIT: maybe it was the mark few show
        Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• Birddog
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
          They said it in broadcast. 2003.

EDIT: maybe it was the mark few show
          It was one or two games back and they were talking about the Great Alaska Shootout which was in the 2001/2 Season. I thought Heister said that was his first year and he did the radio if I heard it correctly.
          Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
          Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
          All mimsy were the borogoves,
          And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2013

It was one or two games back and they were talking about the Great Alaska Shootout which was in the 2001/2 Season. I thought Heister said that was his first year and he did the radio if I heard it correctly.
            Yes that I do remember, couldn’t remember year
            Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• Goshzagit
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2007

I loved it. Well done by the duo, as it should be...

Comment

• GoZags
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

He did television in '01/'02.

I clearly recall his call of the 3D buzzer beater three on New Year's Eve in Philadelphia (83-80 over St. Joe's). I was worried he'd had a "surprise" when Dickau hit the shot.
                Dan Dickau hit a three-pointer with 3.6 seconds left Monday night to give 22nd-ranked Gonzaga its ninth straight win, 83-80 over St. Joseph's.
                sigpic
                “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                ——-
                List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Zagceo
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2013

Groundhog Day....1 or 2 games with Sam and then Tasmania broadcast devil himself reappears spreading his buffoonery across Zagville.

Comment

• zagamatic
                    Zag for Life
                    • Aug 2009

It would be kinda cool to have a first rate broadcast duo for a first rate program instead of the guy you specifically don't invite to the party but shows up and ruins it anyway.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2008

Agree BD.

+1

He even managed to tease Fox about his defense and pulled it off. Perhaps it was because it was during a game clip that Fox was in. It seemed less forced, I guess. As someone who has never listen to them on the radio, I'd like to see them let the radio crew call a TV game, or at least give Adam a shot.

Comment

• White lightning
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2017

I'm not sticking up for Heister but Adams is not the solution. Fox does good job. Keep him and find a knowledgeable play by play guy who is more professional than Adams or Heister. Adam Morrison has been doing a great job on the radio but has more of a supportive role than calling the game.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

• ZagNut08
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Wife and I both though he was painful, we actually enjoy heister

Comment

• BobZag
                            Dark Lord of the Zag
                            • Jan 2007

Agree BD.

Not just your opinion. Adams >>>>>>>>Heister
                            The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• ProVeeZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by White lightning View Post
                              I'm not sticking up for Heister but Adams is not the solution. Fox does good job. Keep him and find a knowledgeable play by play guy who is more professional than Adams or Heister. Adam Morrison has been doing a great job on the radio but has more of a supportive role than calling the game.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                              Open it up for auditions with different combinations. I agree that having just 2 voices is preferable to a trio. Morrison may be best as "color commentator", but until given opportunity to do play by play, who really knows. He could be a "waiting-in-the-wings" Gus Johnson.
                              "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
                              —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Working...
                              X