PDA

View Full Version : GU vs North Alabama - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

LongIslandZagFan
12-21-2018, 06:36 PM
Getting this up early... Zags are throttling Denver... Does this carry over to the NAlabama game?

What are you hoping to see? Expecting? Predictions?

Have at it boys and girls!

gonstu
12-21-2018, 07:00 PM
DEFENSE.

No Injuries.

GrizZAG
12-21-2018, 07:44 PM
More of the same as in Denver game. Petrusev breaks 20 points
Zags 98
N. A. 64

thespywhozaggedme
12-21-2018, 07:44 PM
104-63

Radbooks
12-21-2018, 07:51 PM
Zags 98
N.A. 61

BayAreaZagFan
12-21-2018, 08:07 PM
I strongly doubt if we'll see another 60 point win, so I'll say -

Zags - 100
U of North Alabama - 66

ProVeeZag
12-21-2018, 08:48 PM
UNA is led by their guards, Blackmon and Smith, who are quick, but very undersized at 6' and 5'10" respectively. They get their points, but aren't super-efficient shooters. UNA is also turnover-prone.

After a week-long rest between games, Zags should dominate this game if they play "D" like they did tonight against Denver. Hope to see even more of Ayayi, Foster, and Petrusev. Limit starters to 25 minutes if score permits (I expect it will.) I'd love to see Geno Crandall be able to participate in pre-game warm-ups, but that's not up to me. Make sure he is healed first.

ZAGS 105
UNA 59

Zagceo
12-21-2018, 09:11 PM
106-66

jazzdelmar
12-22-2018, 03:11 AM
The WCC will feel like the BIG EAST compared to these four end of the OOC cupcakes. Really piss poor scheduling.

Zagger
12-22-2018, 04:23 AM
Gonna be another blowout - NA has won 3, lost 10. As much as the Zags are quite likely to play another 50+ point spread game I just can’t bring myself to post a score difference of > 40.

Zags 100
Not Applicable 60

Enjoyed seeing Corey & Snax hitting 3s last night. More please :)
Rui w/ 20+ points by halftime .... more of that too please :)

Merry Christmas!

stevet75
12-22-2018, 05:20 AM
Zags 100 NA 61
The Denver game taught me that you can emphasize defense and still score a lot of points.

willandi
12-22-2018, 05:36 AM
101-60 Zags

Zaga
12-22-2018, 06:16 AM
105-75 Zags

bartruff1
12-22-2018, 06:38 AM
zags 102 - 55...…..North Alabama....makes so sense at all....Trump University would be a better choice...

tummydoc
12-22-2018, 06:54 AM
The WCC will feel like the BIG EAST compared to these four end of the OOC cupcakes. Really piss poor scheduling.I dont think its poor scheduling. Few knows that with no kennel club, no band, no cheer squad the energy at McCarthy is low. Team feeds off the crowd in tight games. Also perfect time to work on deficiencies, lick your wounds, and heal up. Given how the season has gone this was brilliant scheduling. Lucky timing I agree, whoda known our lead scorer and backup PG would be out.

LongIslandZagFan
12-22-2018, 07:02 AM
I dont think its poor scheduling. Few knows that with no kennel club, no band, no cheer squad the energy at McCarthy is low. Team feeds off the crowd in tight games. Also perfect time to work on deficiencies, lick your wounds, and heal up. Given how the season has gone this was brilliant scheduling. Lucky timing I agree, whoda known our lead scorer and backup PG would be out.

I agree... think the logic was after that run of top tier schools that they'd need to have a chance to rest up for conference play. They have had tougher games over the holidays, yes, but they also didn't have two top 20 teams in a row bookended around finals week.

Think Zags will come back from the Holidays happy to have been with their families... well rested... and ready to throttle North Alabama. Would LOVE to see Beach get as many minutes as he did last night.

Zags 102
NAla 53

RenoZag
12-22-2018, 07:08 AM
Bulldogs - 95
Lions - 68

MontanaCoyote
12-22-2018, 07:12 AM
DEFENSE.

No Injuries.

Spot On!

bballbeachbum
12-22-2018, 08:33 AM
Zags 100 NA 61
The Denver game taught me that you can emphasize defense and still score a lot of points.

right on. good defense usually leads to better offense, by design. Zags have been doing it for the past few years and it pushed them into the elite. last night gives hope for this season's team, even against an incredibly outmatched opponent, which is just what this GU team needs to play against to learn how to defend and d board better, my opinion. They remain very average at this, sorry if that hurt the giddy feelings for some here

reminded me of watching my son's high school team, which absolutely sucks, going up against teams that are physically and athletically overwhelmingly. it's different for those overwhelming teams when the physical matchups are even however.

Zags take NA to the woodshed too

TravelinZag
12-22-2018, 09:59 AM
Start one sub. Rotate. give top ten each an opportunity to play with the starters. Finish the first half with all starters, or combination that has been hottest. Defense, defense, defense. These are all practice scrimmages for the remainder of this year and next season. No injuries; we've got our share.

Zags 100
Lion 58

Go Zags! Develop the depth.

Reborn
12-22-2018, 10:25 AM
Gonzaga 110
N. Alabama 53

I hope my prediction is closer this time. It's a tough one to predict because the Zags will be returing to practice after going home and eating moma's cooking. It's an awesome time for the players who go home. some of the hurt from the two losses will heal even more. I hope they continue to play the kind of intense D they played last night. I feel they will definitely score more than 100. North Alabama is the worst team we play this year. And their players will be going home too. The CSU Backersfield game will be much closer....well don't get me wrong. I don't mean it will be close. I only suggest it will be closer than the N Alabama game.

Go Zags!!!

Merry Christmas to you all. It's the best time of the YEAR.

Go Zags!!!!

Malastein
12-22-2018, 12:09 PM
I’d love to see either Geno or Killian get some minutes in, but they may still be a few games away...

Zagceo
12-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Win by 62 against North Alabama and beat Bakersfield by 63 maybe next year cupcakes stay away avoid the oven)

MontanaCoyote
12-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Win by 62 against North Alabama and beat Bakersfield by 63 maybe next year cupcakes stay away avoid the oven)

Didn’t WE schedule ‘um in? Still, point well taken. We don’t need to schedule in top 25 even top 50, 75 teams for this getting ready for the WCC period. But getting some in the 100 - 200 range would best all but one of the teams coming in this year and better test the readiness of our guys. The 4 “cupcakes” this year = 247 Kenpom average ranking with CSUB topping the list at 157. I guess a 175 four team average would be more like it.

Of course one never knows for sure at scheduling time where a team will rank the next season. So above just a generalization. Don’t know when NC comes in next year. Better about the same time as this year or later? Beyond me!

ZagzKrak
12-22-2018, 05:41 PM
Zags 99-65

White lightning
12-22-2018, 06:16 PM
I'm going 100- 60 Zags.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

amaronizag
12-22-2018, 08:04 PM
Zags win 104-58

Zags11
12-23-2018, 12:37 AM
Zags 98

N Alabama 67

Sarenyon
12-23-2018, 03:56 AM
Zags 103
UNA 64

DZ
12-23-2018, 05:24 AM
Fancy fact for people, UNA used to be (might well still be) the southernmost university with a D-1 hockey team.

With the big NASA engineering and R/D facility there, they wanted more community things that would make it easier to recruit scientists out of Europe, and that was part of the effort.

At least that's what I read. Huntsville is just a wonderful place, too. Little smaller than Boise, but similar feel.

Zags 102
UNA 69

zag67
12-23-2018, 05:44 AM
GU 106-63

TravelinZag
12-23-2018, 08:19 AM
I
Fancy fact for people, UNA used to be (might well still be) the southernmost university with a D-1 hockey team.

With the big NASA engineering and R/D facility there, they wanted more community things that would make it easier to recruit scientists out of Europe, and that was part of the effort.

At least that's what I read. Huntsville is just a wonderful place, too. Little smaller than Boise, but similar feel.

Zags 102
UNA 69

Thanks for the background, Dixie. Sounds like a different and interesting community.

SWZag
12-23-2018, 08:57 AM
I hope Petrusev can get a few minutes to talk to fellow Serbian Aleksa Matic of UNA.

https://roarlions.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1256

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-23-2018, 03:07 PM
102-67 Zags.

WenatcheeZag
12-23-2018, 08:36 PM
102-57 Zags.

ProVeeZag
12-23-2018, 09:07 PM

Well if I'm ever a contestant on Jeopardy and that answer pops up, I'll be ready for it. Give me "Sports Geography for $800, Alex. Why yes, let's make it a true daily double".

Stache
12-24-2018, 07:03 PM
Us. 105
Them 63

WallaWallaZag
12-25-2018, 12:54 AM
like to see both ayayi and foster take turns running with the first team...at least 5 minutes each, with or without perkins.

GonzaGAW
12-25-2018, 02:17 PM
- going to the game, so I want to "see" more of petrusev, no reason he could not play 25 minutes.

- una is not a good team, score only 65 per game and shoot only 38% from the field, very weak.

- zags 102, una 59

Bogozags
12-26-2018, 12:03 PM
GU-100
UNA-50

NO INJURIES!

Josh continues his string of making lay-ups (lol)

Continued excellent defence, especially around the arc.

Block out and rebound...they retrieve approximately 17% of their misses.

Run, run and run...we should once again dominate inside and BC, RH and FP should have ample opportunities to block shots...if our post players defend as they did against Denver, we should have many steals leading to break-outs...

Another guard oriented team (four guards and a 6'9"/225lb PF) with almost no size that in their last four games, shoots nearly 43% of their shots from behind the arc.

They average 61pts away from home and give up 74pts.

Their two starting guards are the bulk of their offence, with their freshman Blackmon the leading scorer.

Their starting five average less than 10apg.

GU69
12-26-2018, 07:22 PM
No injuries, lots of defense, and lots of time for bench players.

GU 102 - 54

77Zag
12-27-2018, 07:05 AM
Zags 101
Lions 62

Go Zags - Beat the Lions!!

All Weather Fan
12-27-2018, 09:25 AM
Another good tuneup before conference play.
Go Zags. Beat the Lions !
GU - 97 UNA - 58
Whatsa matter with those Alamo Bowl folks, scheduling their game on top of a Zag game ? Sheesh !

bigblahla
12-27-2018, 11:50 AM
Zags 101-56

Go!! Zags!!!

rennis
12-27-2018, 01:10 PM
Zags 99
SoBama 58

Bocco
12-27-2018, 01:38 PM
GU 104
UNA 62

JPW314159
12-27-2018, 01:46 PM
GU 103
UNA 61

NotoriousZ
12-27-2018, 02:32 PM
102-63 Zags

23dpg
12-27-2018, 06:31 PM
Zags 97
N. Alabama 63

TexasZagFan
12-28-2018, 09:00 AM
Another good tuneup before conference play.
Go Zags. Beat the Lions !
GU - 97 UNA - 58
Whatsa matter with those Alamo Bowl folks, scheduling their game on top of a Zag game ? Sheesh !

Thatís nothing...one of my SIX sisters in law has a birthday party tonight. Just canít get around it, but the DVR is set.

ETA Zags 91, NA 50.

My beloved mom would be 91 today, and the SIL is 50. Canít do any worse with that prediction as some of the bombs I dropped.

Wonít be nearly as big a bomb as the latest Will Farrell movie.

Zag_Dad
12-28-2018, 09:11 AM
Well, I guess I'll give this another try. I believe I finished the season last year with the best average score in our "prediction" game. I'm sure that was more luck than anything else. Thus far this year, I have SUCKED at my predictions.

With that, I am going to ignore everything I used to do before making my prediction and simply throw out my guess based on my gut and heart.

GU - 108
NA - 62

Go ZAGS!

Robzagnut
12-28-2018, 09:50 AM
The WCC will feel like the BIG EAST compared to these four end of the OOC cupcakes. Really piss poor scheduling.

+100%

Already made plans. Didn't watch the first 2 cupcakes and have no interest in watching the next two. What a major let down.

If you're going to schedule such horrible cupcakes at least make them local cupcakes like EWU, WSU or OSU to generate a little interest. Even those with no students it has got to be better than this. Or book a couple of these games in the Arena as the new crowds that get to experience and enjoy a GU game will make much more noise than some of the sit-on-their-hands, never-stand-up, leave-with-10-minutes-to-go ticket holders at the Kennel.

Psychozag
12-28-2018, 09:57 AM
GU- 95
NA - 55

Zagceo
12-28-2018, 10:03 AM
update

Zags 106
NA 48

Division 1.5

MontanaCoyote
12-28-2018, 10:32 AM
+100%

Already made plans. Didn't watch the first 2 cupcakes and have no interest in watching the next two. What a major let down.

If you're going to schedule such horrible cupcakes at least make them local cupcakes like EWU, WSU or OSU to generate a little interest. Even those with no students it has got to be better than this. Or book a couple of these games in the Arena as the new crowds that get to experience and enjoy a GU game will make much more noise than some of the sit-on-their-hands, never-stand-up, leave-with-10-minutes-to-go ticket holders at the Kennel.

In this season of peace, and hopefully a little empathy and reflection, I wonder what it’s like for the players on these cupcakes coming into The Kennel virtually knowing they’re not only to get beat but crushed. Really can’t get humiliated because that only happens if there’s an expectation of winning or at least being truly competitive. Maybe it’s knowing they’ll be “lessons learned” or maybe it’s just the excitement of going up against one of the very best teams in the country.

Some money I suppose for the visiting school but these kids don’t get any of that (unlike say NC).

Does remind me of a teacher friend of mine in Bozeman. Often introduced another teacher who played center at Montana
State to visitors thusly; “Like you to meet Ted Carter. Held Elgin Baylor to 44 points up at the field house.” Ouch!

Reborn
12-28-2018, 11:04 AM
IMO, I imagine that the players on N. Alabama, Denver ect do like playing Gonzaga. I imagine they would love to play in K2. I know if I were on those teams I would. I"d love to have a chance to guard Perkins because I would have seen him play many times including the National Championship against UNC and almost beat them. For me it would be a Dream Come True. Basketball players are all dreamers. They've been dreaming for a long time. These players Gonzaga is playing now maybe have dreamed of playing Gonzaga when they were kids. For me as a kid, I always dreamed of playing UCLA. I would go to the school a block from my house and play for hour upon hour dreaming of beating UCLA. And in my dreams I could beat them.

I also dreamed of playing the UW and Washington St. The Big Schools. I went to a small 1A boys school in Yakima.
I was one of the lucky ones because I did get to play against WSU both in the Kennel and at WSU. Marv Harshman was their coach and he went on to coach at the UW. WSU crushed us both times (Gonzaga was like it is now). But I got to guard one of my idols in high school who played for Richland. His name is Ray Stein, and I stole the ball from and made the layup. There were also two players on WSU from Yakima who I played with at the YMCA. Even though we got crushed I loved experiencing the reality of my dreams as a child. WSU had a great team at that time finishing 2nd every year to UCLA/Lew Alcinder team. When we played at WSU Mr Harshman came into our bus and asked for me to come to the front of the bus. Harshman said to me, Reborn The biggest mistake I ever made as a coach was not recruiting you. He shook my hand and said, "Great game Reborn."

Let the kids dream. OK? Let them enjoy playing the Zags in K2. In my opinion they are going to enjoy it. They may get smashed or crushed as some of you whine. But at least they will say, "How many teams our size get to play Gonzaga in The Kennel?" And they will dream on their way home that they got to play Gonzaga in K2.

Go Zags!!!

Zagceo
12-28-2018, 11:29 AM
I'm more interested in what Zag players think not opponents. Too many cupcakes players and recruits get sick.

WCC is cupcake season. 35 straight against Pepperdine. Please

Majority of teams that come to the kennel are not worth the price of admission IMHO.

MontanaCoyote
12-28-2018, 11:31 AM
IMO, I imagine that the players on N. Alabama, Denver ect do like playing Gonzaga. I imagine they would love to play in K2. I know if I were on those teams I would. I"d love to have a chance to guard Perkins because I would have seen him play many times including the National Championship against UNC and almost beat them. For me it would be a Dream Come True. Basketball players are all dreamers. They've been dreaming for a long time. These players Gonzaga is playing now maybe have dreamed of playing Gonzaga when they were kids. For me as a kid, I always dreamed of playing UCLA. I would go to the school a block from my house and play for hour upon hour dreaming of beating UCLA. And in my dreams I could beat them.

I also dreamed of playing the UW and Washington St. The Big Schools. I went to a small 1A boys school in Yakima.
I was one of the lucky ones because I did get to play against WSU both in the Kennel and at WSU. Marv Harshman was their coach and he went on to coach at the UW. WSU crushed us both times (Gonzaga was like it is now). But I got to guard one of my idols in high school who played for Richland. His name is Ray Stein, and I stole the ball from and made the layup. There were also two players on WSU from Yakima who I played with at the YMCA. Even though we got crushed I loved experiencing the reality of my dreams as a child. WSU had a great team at that time finishing 2nd every year to UCLA/Lew Alcinder team. When we played at WSU Mr Harshman came into our bus and asked for me to come to the front of the bus. Harshman said to me, Reborn The biggest mistake I ever made as a coach was not recruiting you. He shook my hand and said, "Great game Reborn."

Let the kids dream. OK? Let them enjoy playing the Zags in K2. In my opinion they are going to enjoy it. They may get smashed or crushed as some of you whine. But at least they will say, "How many teams our size get to play Gonzaga in The Kennel?" And they will dream on their way home that they got to play Gonzaga in K2.

Go Zags!!!

Well, Reborn, I was askin’, not sayin’ or whinin’. Very nice response and I do hope you’re right. All for kid’s dreamin’.

I dreamed until I went up against some starters at Seattle U in the early ‘60’s. When they tell you what they’re going to do to you then do it, dreams over! Still, hang on to your dreams as long as you can. Then, if you have to, dream another one!

Reborn
12-28-2018, 11:45 AM
Well, Reborn, I was askin’, not sayin’ or whinin’. Very nice response and I do hope you’re right. All for kid’s dreamin’.

I dreamed until I went up against some starters at Seattle U in the early ‘60’s. When they tell you what they’re going to do to you then do it, dreams over! Still, hang on to your dreams as long as you can. Then, if you have to, dream another one!

Sorry! I misread your post. I do that sometimes. Again, I apologize, and in fact, I really enjoyed responding to it. It was a great post because it stimulated me to try to write a good response. I do enjoy being challenged. I think that very old characteristic inside me still pops it's head out now and then.

spike_jr
12-28-2018, 12:31 PM
103-58 GU

Not sure what to expect let alone what GU expects to learn from this game.

LongIslandZagFan
12-28-2018, 12:47 PM
Placeholder for me and my data entry. Still time for the procrastinators out there.

MontanaCoyote
12-28-2018, 01:00 PM
Sorry! I misread your post. I do that sometimes. Again, I apologize, and in fact, I really enjoyed responding to it. It was a great post because it stimulated me to try to write a good response. I do enjoy being challenged. I think that very old characteristic inside me still pops it's head out now and then.

Certainly no apology needed, none at all. That old competitive spirit lives, part of dreams fulfilled. Don’t let it go. Have to watch myself on the same count. Kind of like that old Texas law I heard about; ‘When two trains meet at a rail crossing, both shall come to a complete stop and neither shall move until the other one leaves.’ Just have to yield a bit sometimes as life moves on.
Best,
MC

upan8th
12-28-2018, 01:03 PM
107-73 Bulldogs crush in yet another NFG (no fun game).

maynard g krebs
12-28-2018, 01:07 PM

Go Zags!!!

That's a fantastic post. Loved it. Thanks.

Mr Vulture
12-28-2018, 01:38 PM
No injuries, 15+ minutes for Ayayi, 20+ minutes for Petrusev, and an engaged defense are what I'd like to see. Otherwise, I fully expect a blow out win.

Zags - 94
North Alabama - 61

dazags
12-28-2018, 02:21 PM
GU-112
NA-63

kitzbuel
12-28-2018, 05:02 PM
Zags 103

Nau 39

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

bballbeachbum
12-28-2018, 05:04 PM

Go Zags!!!

:000tens: