• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LTownZag
    Banned
    • Mar 2017

Nevada #1, GU #2?

I know it's way too early to have confidence in these things, but speculation can be fun if taken with a grain of salt.

If Nevada runs the table and has 0 losses, is it likely way they get the #1 seed out west? Seems like it would be hard to deny them the 1 seed somewhere. (assuming the other 3 will go to 3 of Duke, Tenn, VA, MI, Kansas)

If we don't lose any more games, what are the odds we take the #2 seed out west?

I'd like that matchup against the 5 or 6 other teams that seem like possible #1 seeds.
  • 23dpg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
    I know it's way too early to have confidence in these things, but speculation can be fun if taken with a grain of salt.

If Nevada runs the table and has 0 losses, is it likely way they get the #1 seed out west? Seems like it would be hard to deny them the 1 seed somewhere. (assuming the other 3 will go to 3 of Duke, Tenn, VA, MI, Kansas)

If we don't lose any more games, what are the odds we take the #2 seed out west?

I'd like that matchup against the 5 or 6 other teams that seem like possible #1 seeds.
    If Nevada doesn’t lose again and Gonzaga doesn’t lose again I think it’s pretty likely we’ll both get 1 seeds.
    Although I think the scenario is very unlikely.
    Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• RenoZag
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Any team that runs the table will have a legit case for a one seed. Wolfpack were a popular pick in the pre-season to make a deep run. And they really haven't played great yet.

I hope the Zags don't face them in March.
      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• willandi
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

Wcc is a higher rated conference than the MWC.

Both win out and the Zags should have the higher seed.
        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• 23dpg
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by krozman
          Quoted for hilarity.
          To clarify.

The odds both Nevada and Gonzaga go undefeated for the rest of the year are very low. (1%?)

BUT

If that unlikely scenario plays out, it is a given that Nevada at will receive a one seed and I believe that at 29-2* Gonzaga would also receive a one seed.

*Not sure how many games we actually play.
          Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

If Nevada ends the reg season and MWC tourney unbeaten that's one thing, but if they do not, they will have finished it after having only played 3 teams from the P5/BE/American. Their only win over a ranked opponent against one of those teams will be ASU. USC and Utah are awful. I don't think they will get a one seed in that case. They must go unbeaten.

I still think Tillie is going to play a factor in this. If GU keeps winning games as Tillie rounds into game shape, and then they start obliterating WCC teams once he gets fully healthy, the committee is going to have a very tough decision on their hands.

A lot of "ifs" still.

Comment

• rennis
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

If both teams win out I can see Nevada being the #1 in the west and GU the #2. If Nevada wins out and GU drops a conference game I definitely see this being the scenario.

I would HATE to be a #2 seed in a year the Zags only have 2 losses to really good teams.

But I would LOVE to be in the same region as Nevada. They're a good team but at full strength GU beats them 70% of the time IMO.
              Originally posted by Coach Few
              We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• FlyZag
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Nov 2007

In years past the selection committee has taken injuries to key players into consideration when seeding teams. That said, I have NO problem with Nevada being #1 in the West and GU at #2. I personally don't find the draw much different as a 2 seed (5th overall) vs the 1 seed (4th overall) assuming both teams win as the higher seed... they would face each other anyway.

Comment

• raise the zag
                  Zag for Life
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by FlyZag View Post
                  In years past the selection committee has taken injuries to key players into consideration when seeding teams. That said, I have NO problem with Nevada being #1 in the West and GU at #2. I personally don't find the draw much different as a 2 seed (5th overall) vs the 1 seed (4th overall) assuming both teams win as the higher seed... they would face each other anyway.
                  Completely agree, except for that pivotal Sweet 16 game. It's a crap shoot, luck of draw, and matchups once you get to Elite 8.

Not a big difference between 1 & 2 seed, yet 1 plays a 4 seed in sweet 16, while the 2 plays a 3.

It's the difference between playing a Top 10 type team compared to a Top 25 type team. I have always felt there was the biggest difference b/w a Top 1,2,3 seeded team...then the start of 4 & 5 seeded teams.

Otherwise, it's all pretty even.

Comment

• PCZ_Frites
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by raise the zag View Post
                    Completely agree, except for that pivotal Sweet 16 game. It's a crap shoot, luck of draw, and matchups once you get to Elite 8.

Not a big difference between 1 & 2 seed, yet 1 plays a 4 seed in sweet 16, while the 2 plays a 3.

It's the difference between playing a Top 10 type team compared to a Top 25 type team. I have always felt there was the biggest difference b/w a Top 1,2,3 seeded team...then the start of 4 & 5 seeded teams.

Otherwise, it's all pretty even.
                    I just looked up winning percentages for 1 and 2 seeds against the 8/9 and 7/10 game, and found the following:
                    1 seed vs:
                    8: 80.2%
                    9: 89.5%

2 seed vs:
                    7: 69.8%
                    10: 61.4%

Comment

• raise the zag
                      Zag for Life
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by PCZ_Frites View Post
                      I just looked up winning percentages for 1 and 2 seeds against the 8/9 and 7/10 game, and found the following:
                      1 seed vs:
                      8: 80.2%
                      9: 89.5%

2 seed vs:
                      7: 69.8%
                      10: 61.4%
                      That is illuminating...and statistically significant.

Good find.

Definitely want a 1 seed, if we can pull it off.

I think winning out would do it, but I have a feeling that isn't going to happen.

While some are skeptical, there is objective and empirical evidence the WCC is much tougher overall than its been in several years

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                        Zag for Life
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by FlyZag View Post
                        I have NO problem with Nevada being #1 in the West and GU at #2.
                        Watching Nevada last week, the color guy (Farnham maybe, don't remember) said w/ their sched, an undefeated Nevada would be a 2 or 3 seed.

Comment

• 23dpg
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                          Watching Nevada last week, the color guy (Farnham maybe, don't remember) said w/ their sched, an undefeated Nevada would be a 2 or 3 seed.
                          he is dead wrong
                          Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• MDABE80
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Perfect season deserves a no 1 seed. Zags win the rest, we may yet get. A no 1 seed as well but where is uncertain. Then again the past few years seem to recognize weak schedules and downgrade seeding accordingly. Also the P 5 is favored solely because the higher end teams play each other which isn’t classified as a bad loss. Come February we’ll know more. I doubt Nevada goes undefeated. That’s hard even if you’re a superior team in a weaker conference.

Comment

Working...
                            X