New Athletic piece on who are Zags' top rivals.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

New Athletic piece on who are Zags' top rivals.....

North Carolina

The Tar Heels’ case is weaker. They share a storied rivalry with Duke that easily trumps any other matchup. Yes, Gonzaga and North Carolina faced off in the 2017 national championship game, with the Heels preventing the Zags from claiming their first NCAA title in a 71-65 win.

Was the game good? Yes. Did the loss sting? Of course. But a good rivalry must consist of more than just one great game.

Saturday’s game is the first in a scheduled home-and-home that will have UNC heading to Gonzaga next seasons.

No matter whether one chooses based on in-state location, regional designation or conference affiliation, Gonzaga doesn’t have a natural opponent.
  • bartruff1
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

For me it is BYU....the game I fear most to lose...…. and the game I want most to win.....going back to Jimmer....and those painful losses in the Kennel…. of course there is the further motivation ……..in that I cannot stand their fans....

Comment

• Markburn1
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
      North Carolina

The Tar Heels’ case is weaker. They share a storied rivalry with Duke that easily trumps any other matchup. Yes, Gonzaga and North Carolina faced off in the 2017 national championship game, with the Heels preventing the Zags from claiming their first NCAA title in a 71-65 win.

Was the game good? Yes. Did the loss sting? Of course. But a good rivalry must consist of more than just one great game.

Saturday’s game is the first in a scheduled home-and-home that will have UNC heading to Gonzaga next seasons.

https://theathletic.com/703424/2018/...ated-question/
      That game was atrocious. Easily one of the worst National Championship games ever witnessed. Not because of the players. The officiating caused the game to be played in fits and starts. No rhythm whatsoever.

Comment

• johno
        Kennel Club
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
        That game was atrocious. Easily one of the worst National Championship games ever witnessed. Not because of the players. The officiating caused the game to be played in fits and starts. No rhythm whatsoever.
        I recall the first half being wonderful basketball with the Zags taking the lead into half-time. Then, the officials fracked it all up.

Comment

• TacomaZAG
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

Regarding NC, don't forget the game a number of years ago when Josh Heytvelt took Tyler Hansborough's pudding away, completely dominating him the entire game in a ZAG win. Not that this additional game constitutes a rivalry, but it's a start...........

Go ZAGS

Comment

• irishzag_09
            Bulldog Fan
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by TacomaZAG View Post
            Regarding NC, don't forget the game a number of years ago when Josh Heytvelt took Tyler Hansborough's pudding away, completely dominating him the entire game in a ZAG win. Not that this additional game constitutes a rivalry, but it's a start...........

Go ZAGS
            I commented on Kendra's article in the Athletic mentioning this:

Kenda - Gonzaga has had some more tested games against North Carolina that you didn't mention...Gonzaga played UNC in the 2009 NCAA Tournament in the Sweet 16 in Memphis...UNC routed us 98-77, I was playing in the Gonzaga Pep Band and remember that trip. The other game to remember is Gonzaga played No. 2 ranked UNC in Madison Square Garden after Adam Morrison left early to the NBA during the 2006 Pre-Season NIT, and it was the Josh Heytvelt coming out party who showed up Tyler Hansborough as the Zags came away with the win 82-74...the next night we then lost to Butler in the Championship Game. I would contend Butler should be on this list.

Here are the write-ups from those two games against UNC I mentioned, use them if you want:

Expert recap and game analysis of the North Carolina Tar Heels vs. Gonzaga Bulldogs NCAAM game from March 27, 2009 on ESPN.

Video highlights, recaps and play breakdowns of the Gonzaga Bulldogs vs. North Carolina Tar Heels NCAAM game from November 22, 2006 on ESPN.

Comment

• CDC84
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
              That game was indeed tough to watch (and even harder to recover from - Nigel deserved to give it his best, than dang ankle), but nothing will top that Butler/UConn title game. Clank, clank, clank.

Two teams who didn't deserve to be in the title game, but, because college basketball was down that season, someone had to be there.

Comment

• former1dog
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                For me it is BYU....the game I fear most to lose...…. and the game I want most to win.....going back to Jimmer....and those painful losses in the Kennel…. of course there is the further motivation ……..in that I cannot stand their fans....
                100% Agree. What the hell gets into those folks. Nice as pie until tip off and then WHAM-O, they all become complete A-HOLES.

I've decided I'm done going to GU games at BYU. I enjoy myself much more by just staying home.

Comment

• zagdontzig
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2016

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                  Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                  100% Agree. What the hell gets into those folks. Nice as pie until tip off and then WHAM-O, they all become complete A-HOLES.

I've decided I'm done going to GU games at BYU. I enjoy myself much more by just staying home.
                  A key element of a rivalry for me is a record to squabble over. I have a similar dislike for the program you seem to have, but dislike for the program isn't enough. We overwhelmingly own the regular-season and conference tournament records. Next.
                  Originally posted by Reborn
                  Go Zags!!!
                  Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

Working...
                  X