PDA

View Full Version : Another Jim Calhoun story to warm your heart

kitzbuel
11-05-2007, 11:14 AM
This past summer, Holy Cross was supposed to play in this event (The 2K Sports College Hoops Classic . . . benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer). Crusaders Coach Ralph Willard wanted his team to play because one of his players, Andrew Keister, had recovered from cancer and was hoping to be part of the tournament to show other youngsters and families that having cancer as a child doesn't mean you can't be a successful athlete.

Willard had asked the tournament organizers to put his team in the Connecticut bracket (the four power teams each host a four-team bracket and then advance to New York) because the tournament came during mid-terms at Holy Cross, and he didn't want his team away from campus for four days to play two games. When Willard ran into Huskies Coach Jim Calhoun this summer, he mentioned he was happy U-Conn. was hosting so his team could participate.

Willard said Calhoun responded by saying, "I really don't want to play you guys."

Willard answered: "Well, with our two best players graduating, we'll probably lose the first night, and you won't have to play us."

A couple of months later -- on Sept. 18 -- Willard got a call from the tournament organizers telling him Holy Cross was being sent to Oklahoma instead of Connecticut. Flabbergasted, Willard again explained why his team needed to play at U-Conn. and was told, "We're sending you to Oklahoma because we think you have a better chance to make it to New York from there."

"Don't lie to me," Willard answered. "Jim doesn't want to play us."

"Well," Willard was told, "that's only part of it."

The Haves and the Have-Nots Have at It (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/04/AR2007110401387.html)

HRZag
11-05-2007, 11:21 AM
to run these guys out of the building.

What a jerk. At least he is consistent.

Go Zags.

LongIslandZagFan
11-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Its a bit of a rehash of story that came up earlier this month. But worthy of being brought up again. I vented on a thread back then. I'm going to resist the urge to rail on such an easy target as Jim Calhoun.

NanookZag
11-05-2007, 12:25 PM
BC won't play Holy Cross anymore because a few years ago a player on HC took a cheap shot at one of the BC players. That being said, I hate Calhoun.

LongIslandZagFan
11-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Somehow I find that story as being laughable. More likely that is the story that BC gives out.