PDA

View Full Version : Latest AP Poll results

former1dog
12-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Gonzaga is ranked #4

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

Alum08
12-10-2018, 09:35 AM
Wow, not sure about that Virginia shift.

former1dog
12-10-2018, 09:37 AM
USF with 5 points in the "Others Receiving Votes" category. Nice work Dons!

gueastcoast
12-10-2018, 09:47 AM
Agree the UVA shift is odd but this is what I guessed in the prediction thread (4)...feels right to me or close to it. I think the UMBC hangover is giving people pause, conference will tell with them. Michigan, on the other hand...I think they're underrated.

thespywhozaggedme
12-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Virginia and Nevada dropped. man, we get blue blood respect nowadays. Crazy.

White lightning
12-10-2018, 09:59 AM
Virginia and Nevada dropped. man, we get blue blood respect nowadays. Crazy.Probably more than we deserve. Michigan is the team wondering WTF.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ezag
12-10-2018, 10:05 AM
I'll take it. With very close wins against UW, Duke and even Illinois, we could easily have 3-4 losses.

former1dog
12-10-2018, 10:06 AM

You're not wrong this time.

zagdontzig
12-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Anyone know who gave us our lone first place vote?

HenneZag
12-10-2018, 10:26 AM
A North Carolina win would be a great response this week! I will be happy if we can stay in the top 10 this year.

White lightning
12-10-2018, 10:26 AM
Maybe the guy from Kansas. He owes us one!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

DixieZag
12-10-2018, 10:39 AM
There seems to be a consensus whereby we're among the 4-6 teams with "legitimate" national title expectations, the tier with Duke, Kansas, Michigan, and I suppose now Tennessee (you're welcome, "Bank!").

I don't expect us to fall from that top tier far, even with a possible loss at UNC, if we play very well and it's close, I expect to remain top 10 all year.

In re-watching that game, we played almost as poorly as we did against the UW, and still should've won it.

I hope we get real consideration by the committee if we have a healthy Tillie/Crandall in March. We are a much better team with both those guys, top 3.

We can secure (IMO) a number one seed if we win at UNC, and then go through conference with 1 or 0 losses.

CDC84
12-10-2018, 10:44 AM
What Gonzaga has that no one has is that Duke win. It's extremely powerful to the AP folks. It's like two top 10 wins put together.

CDC84
12-10-2018, 10:45 AM

Both teams (especially NV) have strength of schedules that aren't great. They aren't terrible, but neither team has something like GU's win over Duke, or Kansas' win over Tennessee, or Tennessee's win over Gonzaga. That's probably their justification......beyond some possible blue blood bias (not that GU is a blue blood).

MDABE80
12-10-2018, 10:57 AM
The Duke win is huge to the voters. Kansas has look shaken the last two games. We are only 3 points from perfect. All of America saw the game. We should not be hugely penalized for a 3 pt loss in a game which we could have just as easily won.
With our schedule , 3 pts from perfect is a very big deal. We are for real and the voters expect us in the FF. All we need to do is beat UNC and play defense. Things get easier then as Crandall and Tillie rejoin in January. I do wish scheduling had continued tougher games the last ten days of December. 3 pts from perfect. We’ll be there in the end if Few and staff can get the guys to begin playing tough defense.

former1dog
12-10-2018, 11:04 AM
The Duke win is huge to the voters. Kansas has look shaken the last two games. We are only 3 points from perfect. All of America saw the game. We should not be hugely penalized for a 3 pt loss in a game which we could have just as easily won.
With our schedule , 3 pts from perfect is a very big deal. We are for real and the voters expect us in the FF. All we need to do is beat UNC and play defense. Things get easier then as Crandall and Tillie rejoin in January. I do wish scheduling had continued tougher games the last ten days of December. 3 pts from perfect. We’ll be there in the end if Few and staff can get the guys to begin playing tough defense.

I would have agreed with the boulded statement prior to the season starting, but now I'm happy its an easier slate due to the Tillie/Crandall injuries.

I think as long as the team doesn't fall apart vs UNC, Gonzaga has made a pretty good arguments for a great seed come tournament time.

ProVeeZag
12-10-2018, 11:14 AM
Musings over the Top 25 AP poll:

~ Nevada beat #20 ASU last week, but looked god-awful the 1st half in the process. That may have been a factor in the Wolfpack dropping from #6 to #7.

~ Creighton receives -0- votes this week, so our win in Omaha loses some luster

~ 3-way logjam at #25 (Indiana, Syracuse, Boise State) is unusual

~ Nebraska just misses Top 25 by 3 votes; 'Huskers win over Creighton still not enough to crack Top 25

~ Kentucky plummets 10 spots to #19 after 1 point OT loss to Seton Hall

thespywhozaggedme
12-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Musings over the Top 25 AP poll:

~ Nevada beat #20 ASU last week, but looked god-awful the 1st half in the process. That may have been a factor in the Wolfpack dropping from #6 to #7.

~ Creighton receives -0- votes this week, so our win in Omaha loses some luster

~ 3-way logjam at #25 (Indiana, Syracuse, Boise State) is unusual

~ Nebraska just misses Top 25 by 3 votes; 'Huskers win over Creighton still not enough to crack Top 25

~ Kentucky plummets 10 spots to #19 after 1 point OT loss to Seton Hall

Uh....

TravelinZag
12-10-2018, 12:52 PM
Love the Zags, but we would all be furious if treated as the AP treated Tennessee. They beat GU, have as worthy a schedule as GU, but are ranked behind us. Shame on the AP. Can you imagine the venom on this board if the Zags were given such shabby treatment?

Oh, that’s right, the Zags have been treated unfairly, and often! Shame then, shame now and shame in the future! We cannot be astonished by the naked bias against us by the national press. They see sport as they cover politics: create a hero, then destroy it! They make referees look fair! Both sell (or should that read “smell”)!

Hoopaholic
12-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Love the Zags, but we would all be furious if treated as the AP treated Tennessee. They beat GU, have as worthy a schedule as GU, but are ranked behind us. Shame on the AP. Can you imagine the venom on this board if the Zags were given such shabby treatment?

Oh, that’s right, the Zags have been treated unfairly, and often! Shame then, shame now and shame in the future! We cannot be astonished by the naked bias against us by the national press. They see sport as they cover politics: create a hero, then destroy it! They make referees look fair! Both sell (or should that read “smell”)!

relax and not sure what you are looking at.....the ap poll has tennessee ahead of us

ZagsGoZags
12-10-2018, 01:07 PM

Coaches poll has us 6th place, behind #4 Tenn.,
CBS sports RPI has us 7th place, lower than #2 Tenn.

former1dog
12-10-2018, 01:31 PM

Good grief!

Its worth repeating, Tennessee is ranked ahead of Gonzaga in all the current polls. Man, I’m sorry you’re having a bad day but keep in mind we’re discussing basketball in this forum for the most part and you really shouldn’t get so worked up above it, especially when you’re having an Emily Litella moment. (What’s all this fuss about violins on TV?!)

sittingon50
12-10-2018, 01:42 PM
Good grief!

(What’s all this fuss about violins on TV?!)

My go to line on many occasions.

Didn't realize you were OLD ENOUGH to remember that one, former!

former1dog
12-10-2018, 01:43 PM

oh, I was young but how could I ever forget Emily!

ProVeeZag
12-10-2018, 01:59 PM

What is all this fuss I hear about the Supreme Court decision on a "deaf" penalty? It's terrible! Deaf people have enough problems as it is!

Radbooks
12-10-2018, 02:22 PM
Anyone know who gave us our lone first place vote?

It was Graham Couch from Lansing, Michigan. Here is a link to an article he wrote about it (how he votes):

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2018/12/10/graham-couch-ap-top-25-college-basketball-ballot-why-duke-kansas-tennessee-didnt-make/2264942002/

MontanaCoyote
12-10-2018, 02:34 PM
Ran into a gal today that was in Maui. Boyfriend a big Zags fan. Mentioned the Zags lost last night. Her reply, “But they beat Duke.” Sometime a win is worth more than a win. Beat NC!

PCZ_Frites
12-10-2018, 03:03 PM
It was Graham Couch from Lansing, Michigan. Here is a link to an article he wrote about it (how he votes):

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2018/12/10/graham-couch-ap-top-25-college-basketball-ballot-why-duke-kansas-tennessee-didnt-make/2264942002/

For those who haven't read this article, it's worth a read. The guy didn't vote for Kansas, Duke, or Tennessee in the top 25. It's a little (understatement) unorthodox, but I appreciate that he's transparent about his process.

Duke doesn’t play a road game until Jan. 8 at Wake Forest — more than two months after opening the season in the Champions Classic. Kentucky, Texas Tech and Texas don’t step foot on another campus until the new year, either. At the very least, that’s as absurd as me removing them from my rankings.

zagamatic
12-10-2018, 04:00 PM

I really enjoyed this article. And while the Zags have gotten away from playing true road games in November and December compared to years past, I would really like to see more perennial powers play true road games ooc.

maynard g krebs
12-10-2018, 11:34 PM
Good grief!

an Emily Litella moment. (What’s all this fuss about violins on TV?!)

As long as he doesn't accuse Rui of being opposed to youth in Asia, it's fine.

sittingon50
12-11-2018, 12:26 AM
As long as he doesn't accuse Rui of being opposed to youth in Asia, it's fine.

:clap::clap::clap: