• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeightonZag
    Bulldog Fan
    • Sep 2015

Gu vs Tennessee - What I saw

Hey guys. Just got out of the arena after both games in Phoenix and wanted to share my thoughts. First of all, WOW, what a game and atmosphere. Tough pill to swallow but it really was a great game. Anyway, I had some pretty good seats and sometimes it's easier to notice stuff in person than on TV. With that said, here goes.

1. We reeaaallly miss Tillie and Geno. First off, from a talent standpoint. Tillie is a really smart and really versatile defender that we are lacking at the moment. Same with Geno, i know he struggled in limited time but he's a very solid defender who wont get you beat. Secondly, it was verrry evident we were tired. Snacks and Rui looked gassed in the second half.

2. If this team has final 4 (and more) aspirations, then one thing has CLEARLY got to change. And that's Josh Perkins. Now before you start, I love the way he's played this year. But he HAS to figure out how to score in the lane. Absolutely has to. Teams pay him ZERO attention in the lane just daring him to shoot or drive further. This is bad for a few reasons. A) the weak side help d on pick and rolls no longer has to help (or at least help significantly less). Additionally, the defending big can scramble back to his man quicker. He also doesn't have to play "up the line" and stop perkins penetration. Josh truly is elite at pick and oll but he has got to get more decisive in the lane and hunt and make his shot. He can get away against lesser teams but this absolutely will not fly come March. On top of that, I actually think he needs to chuck a little more from 3, within reason obviously. Tennessee actually started going under some of his screens and didn't hedge very hard at all. Teams are completely ignoring him defensively and it's hurting us.

3. Not sure what it looked like on TV but Foster took a big, big step in my eyes today. Didnt do a lot on the stat sheet but came in and really controlled the offense and played realllly good defense. He grew up a little today against an uber athletic and physical team. With some patience and development, I think he could really surprise people.

4. Rui has got to get better defensively. He was really lackluster today. I know the last few possessions looked bad but they were really going after him with sets and with Schofield. He has to get smarter.

5. Im curious what you guys' thought of the officiating. Overall, I actually thought it was good. However, (and I promise this is not hyperbole) EVERY bad call, both sides, was from 1 ref. I thought the other 2 did a fantastic job and this guy really brought the crew down big time. He was making calls from all over court he had no business making. Fans from both sides were really giving it to him all game.

Overall, really fun game and atmosphere. Im not worried about us in the slightest. To me, the key to the season is integrating tillie and geno back in the lineup during wcc play. I think the right call is keep the starters and being tillie off the bench, at least to start. Gives teams a really tough second unit look and doesnt throw off team chemistry.

Curious to hear your guys' thoughts. Sorry for the rant. Go Zags!
  • RenoZag
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Tillie as the first sub off the bench makes a lot of sense as he gets back into shape. Collins said he liked coming off the bench because it gave him a chance to see how the flow of the game was progressing and other factors. No reason to think Tillie's contributions as a part time player won't help the Zags.

Your observations are shared by many in other threads, especially your 4th paragraph.

Thanks for the first hand account, Leighton.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-10-2018, 07:32 AM. Reason: sp
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Hoopaholic
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by LeightonZag View Post
      Hey guys. Just got out of the arena after both games in Phoenix and wanted to share my thoughts. First of all, WOW, what a game and atmosphere. Tough pill to swallow but it really was a great game. Anyway, I had some pretty good seats and sometimes it's easier to notice stuff in person than on TV. With that said, here goes.

1. We reeaaallly miss Tillie and Geno. First off, from a talent standpoint. Tillie is a really smart and really versatile defender that we are lacking at the moment. Same with Geno, i know he struggled in limited time but he's a very solid defender who wont get you beat. Secondly, it was verrry evident we were tired. Snacks and Rui looked gassed in the second half.

2. If this team has final 4 (and more) aspirations, then one thing has CLEARLY got to change. And that's Josh Perkins. Now before you start, I love the way he's played this year. But he HAS to figure out how to score in the lane. Absolutely has to. Teams pay him ZERO attention in the lane just daring him to shoot or drive further. This is bad for a few reasons. A) the weak side help d on pick and rolls no longer has to help (or at least help significantly less). Additionally, the defending big can scramble back to his man quicker. He also doesn't have to play "up the line" and stop perkins penetration. Josh truly is elite at pick and oll but he has got to get more decisive in the lane and hunt and make his shot. He can get away against lesser teams but this absolutely will not fly come March. On top of that, I actually think he needs to chuck a little more from 3, within reason obviously. Tennessee actually started going under some of his screens and didn't hedge very hard at all. Teams are completely ignoring him defensively and it's hurting us.

3. Not sure what it looked like on TV but Foster took a big, big step in my eyes today. Didnt do a lot on the stat sheet but came in and really controlled the offense and played realllly good defense. He grew up a little today against an uber athletic and physical team. With some patience and development, I think he could really surprise people.

4. Rui has got to get better defensively. He was really lackluster today. I know the last few possessions looked bad but they were really going after him with sets and with Schofield. He has to get smarter.

5. Im curious what you guys' thought of the officiating. Overall, I actually thought it was good. However, (and I promise this is not hyperbole) EVERY bad call, both sides, was from 1 ref. I thought the other 2 did a fantastic job and this guy really brought the crew down big time. He was making calls from all over court he had no business making. Fans from both sides were really giving it to him all game.

Overall, really fun game and atmosphere. Im not worried about us in the slightest. To me, the key to the season is integrating tillie and geno back in the lineup during wcc play. I think the right call is keep the starters and being tillie off the bench, at least to start. Gives teams a really tough second unit look and doesnt throw off team chemistry.

Curious to hear your guys' thoughts. Sorry for the rant. Go Zags!
      The tall ball headed ref was absolutely non consistent

Good recap

Agree with fosters minutes today
      The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

agree with #2...perkins has run the offense great, even spectacular at times, but he needs to score for this team to reach its potential, especially without tillie...right now he can't hit a wide open floater in the lane to save his life and even his three point shooting seems to have regressed. he has a decent mid-range jumper but he doesn't take the wide open ones and instead dribbles around and ends up shooting a difficult step-back or fade-away.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
          The tall ball headed ref was absolutely non consistent

Good recap

Agree with fosters minutes today

Yes.. baldie was awful

Comment

• Worthington
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Aug 2011

Great post, I think my only disagreement is with #3. I cringe every time Foster enters the game, especially when he is tasked with running the point. His ball handling skills are simply awful for a point guard. He is not a threat to do anything on the offensive side in a competitive game other than start off a play by making the initial pass. He's not looking at the basket, he's not breaking down the defense, he's no threat to shoot from the perimeter, he's simply not a solution as a back-up point guard on a top 5 team in the country.

I know there's no obvious answer with Crandall out, but at this point I would rather Ayayi or even a walk-on were getting those minutes, because it's a proven disaster on offense whenever Foster has the reigns. If Perkins is in the game and Foster is in the game for defensive purposes then that's another thing, because I have been impressed with him on that side of the ball.

Maybe this is harsh, but that's my impression through 10 games...

Comment

• Birddog
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I thought Foster looked OK too until the last 20 or 30 seconds of the half. Was he flashy? no, but he held things together and didn't make any major screw ups. He was no worse than Crandall was in several early games.
              Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
              Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
              All mimsy were the borogoves,
              And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• GrizZAG
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2009

While Perks is taking some heat from many, and his big 0 point performance is glaring, let’s be fair. He’s in a very difficult spot right now. Can’t foul out...period! Play controlled on offense, too important to take risk. Your role at this time is leader, director, facilitator and now “Artist”. Oh and by the way you are going to get run into the ground with little relief.
                To those points the guy is doing it all but has a cost as we are witnessing. No hard drives to the lanes, not super aggressive on defense and throttled back by design. I think he’s doing what he’s being told to do. Josh is a selfless team leader and pushes when he can. If he fouls out we’re in deep do-do especially in the Tenn game. Tough place to be.
                “He may not be the best player on the floor, but he’s the most important player for Gonzaga”.
                I feel for the spot he’s in and admire his mature balancing act at this time.
                One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• bartruff1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2010

I really don't know the difference between a explanation and a excuse for why we lost.....it might be as simple as Tennessee had a very good defense....and it kept them in the game...... and gave them a opportunity to win at the end...and they did...

I also don't know if there is a fix for Gonzaga's defense.....it probably won't matter after North Carolina until the NCAA....

Comment

• former1dog
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                    I really don't know the difference between a explanation and a excuse for why we lost.....it might be as simple as Tennessee had a very good defense....and it kept them in the game...... and gave them a opportunity to win at the end...and they did...

I also don't know if there is a fix for Gonzaga's defense.....it probably won't matter after North Carolina until the NCAA....
                    I agree that Tennessee played great defense, especially down the stretch. Gonzaga also played great defense for stretches in the second half which allowed them to build the lead up. I do think Gonzaga's defense can be fixed because I saw their defensive problems as mental lapses/mistakes rather than a physical inability to defend.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                      I agree that Tennessee played great defense, especially down the stretch. Gonzaga also played great defense for stretches in the second half which allowed them to build the lead up. I do think Gonzaga's defense can be fixed because I saw their defensive problems as mental lapses/mistakes rather than a physical inability to defend.
                      Fixable mental lapses is my take. They also are probably playing tired and tentative to avoid too many fouls, given the lack of depth. There were several wide open shots that, to Tennesee’s credit, they knocked down.

Comment

• vandalzag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Worthington View Post
                        Great post, I think my only disagreement is with #3. I cringe every time Foster enters the game, especially when he is tasked with running the point. His ball handling skills are simply awful for a point guard. He is not a threat to do anything on the offensive side in a competitive game other than start off a play by making the initial pass. He's not looking at the basket, he's not breaking down the defense, he's no threat to shoot from the perimeter, he's simply not a solution as a back-up point guard on a top 5 team in the country.

I know there's no obvious answer with Crandall out, but at this point I would rather Ayayi or even a walk-on were getting those minutes, because it's a proven disaster on offense whenever Foster has the reigns. If Perkins is in the game and Foster is in the game for defensive purposes then that's another thing, because I have been impressed with him on that side of the ball.

Maybe this is harsh, but that's my impression through 10 games...
                        Just wondering which of the walkons who you have not seen play would be a better option than Foster? Jack Beach is not that answer as a backup PG. If Few had a better option than Foster he would be playing them.

Comment

• LTownZag
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by LeightonZag View Post

I think in some respects, Geno Crandall is our most important player. That's a scary thought. It shows why the staff was putting so much effort into securing another PG for this year and where we might be with someone like Brandon Williams or a healthy Crandall playing his A game.

I agree that we have no hope of making or winning the championship if we are getting under 8 points or shooting such low effective FG% from the Point Guard spot. And I don't think Josh can put up those kind of numbers when he's playing on the ball. He plays his heart out, seems to be a great teammate and leader, and has really improved his most glaring original weakness, which was his TOs and silly mistakes. But Josh needs time and separation to get off his 3pt shot, and he has trouble creating either. He's also struggling more than ever at scoring or having anything good happen when he drives the ball. We outplayed a loaded Tennessee team in the post and on the wings, but Perkins (and Foster in his couple minutes) were 0/6 with no FT attempts. Those weren't last second jacked-up 3s or half court heaves either, just the kind of decent inside looks that Perkins has trouble finishing. That offensive deficiency was more than enough to make the difference in the game.

We don't need a ball-dominant score-first guard, but we can't win it all with PG offense like we've seen lately.

Comment

• bartruff1
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                            I hope so....teach them to get into the Craig stance....get low...keep their hands straight up.... and move their feet to stay in front of their opponent....switch all screens ….and talk.....block out....it all seems so simple....but they don't do it consistently..

Comment

• Alum08
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                              teach them to get into the Craig stance...

© Bill Walton 2018

Comment

Working...
                              X