PDA

View Full Version : Gu vs Tennessee - What I saw

LeightonZag
12-09-2018, 04:52 PM
Hey guys. Just got out of the arena after both games in Phoenix and wanted to share my thoughts. First of all, WOW, what a game and atmosphere. Tough pill to swallow but it really was a great game. Anyway, I had some pretty good seats and sometimes it's easier to notice stuff in person than on TV. With that said, here goes.

1. We reeaaallly miss Tillie and Geno. First off, from a talent standpoint. Tillie is a really smart and really versatile defender that we are lacking at the moment. Same with Geno, i know he struggled in limited time but he's a very solid defender who wont get you beat. Secondly, it was verrry evident we were tired. Snacks and Rui looked gassed in the second half.

2. If this team has final 4 (and more) aspirations, then one thing has CLEARLY got to change. And that's Josh Perkins. Now before you start, I love the way he's played this year. But he HAS to figure out how to score in the lane. Absolutely has to. Teams pay him ZERO attention in the lane just daring him to shoot or drive further. This is bad for a few reasons. A) the weak side help d on pick and rolls no longer has to help (or at least help significantly less). Additionally, the defending big can scramble back to his man quicker. He also doesn't have to play "up the line" and stop perkins penetration. Josh truly is elite at pick and oll but he has got to get more decisive in the lane and hunt and make his shot. He can get away against lesser teams but this absolutely will not fly come March. On top of that, I actually think he needs to chuck a little more from 3, within reason obviously. Tennessee actually started going under some of his screens and didn't hedge very hard at all. Teams are completely ignoring him defensively and it's hurting us.

3. Not sure what it looked like on TV but Foster took a big, big step in my eyes today. Didnt do a lot on the stat sheet but came in and really controlled the offense and played realllly good defense. He grew up a little today against an uber athletic and physical team. With some patience and development, I think he could really surprise people.

4. Rui has got to get better defensively. He was really lackluster today. I know the last few possessions looked bad but they were really going after him with sets and with Schofield. He has to get smarter.

5. Im curious what you guys' thought of the officiating. Overall, I actually thought it was good. However, (and I promise this is not hyperbole) EVERY bad call, both sides, was from 1 ref. I thought the other 2 did a fantastic job and this guy really brought the crew down big time. He was making calls from all over court he had no business making. Fans from both sides were really giving it to him all game.

Overall, really fun game and atmosphere. Im not worried about us in the slightest. To me, the key to the season is integrating tillie and geno back in the lineup during wcc play. I think the right call is keep the starters and being tillie off the bench, at least to start. Gives teams a really tough second unit look and doesnt throw off team chemistry.

Curious to hear your guys' thoughts. Sorry for the rant. Go Zags!

RenoZag
12-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Tillie as the first sub off the bench makes a lot of sense as he gets back into shape. Collins said he liked coming off the bench because it gave him a chance to see how the flow of the game was progressing and other factors. No reason to think Tillie's contributions as a part time player won't help the Zags.

Your observations are shared by many in other threads, especially your 4th paragraph.

Thanks for the first hand account, Leighton.

Hoopaholic
12-09-2018, 05:02 PM
Hey guys. Just got out of the arena after both games in Phoenix and wanted to share my thoughts. First of all, WOW, what a game and atmosphere. Tough pill to swallow but it really was a great game. Anyway, I had some pretty good seats and sometimes it's easier to notice stuff in person than on TV. With that said, here goes.

1. We reeaaallly miss Tillie and Geno. First off, from a talent standpoint. Tillie is a really smart and really versatile defender that we are lacking at the moment. Same with Geno, i know he struggled in limited time but he's a very solid defender who wont get you beat. Secondly, it was verrry evident we were tired. Snacks and Rui looked gassed in the second half.

2. If this team has final 4 (and more) aspirations, then one thing has CLEARLY got to change. And that's Josh Perkins. Now before you start, I love the way he's played this year. But he HAS to figure out how to score in the lane. Absolutely has to. Teams pay him ZERO attention in the lane just daring him to shoot or drive further. This is bad for a few reasons. A) the weak side help d on pick and rolls no longer has to help (or at least help significantly less). Additionally, the defending big can scramble back to his man quicker. He also doesn't have to play "up the line" and stop perkins penetration. Josh truly is elite at pick and oll but he has got to get more decisive in the lane and hunt and make his shot. He can get away against lesser teams but this absolutely will not fly come March. On top of that, I actually think he needs to chuck a little more from 3, within reason obviously. Tennessee actually started going under some of his screens and didn't hedge very hard at all. Teams are completely ignoring him defensively and it's hurting us.

3. Not sure what it looked like on TV but Foster took a big, big step in my eyes today. Didnt do a lot on the stat sheet but came in and really controlled the offense and played realllly good defense. He grew up a little today against an uber athletic and physical team. With some patience and development, I think he could really surprise people.

4. Rui has got to get better defensively. He was really lackluster today. I know the last few possessions looked bad but they were really going after him with sets and with Schofield. He has to get smarter.

5. Im curious what you guys' thought of the officiating. Overall, I actually thought it was good. However, (and I promise this is not hyperbole) EVERY bad call, both sides, was from 1 ref. I thought the other 2 did a fantastic job and this guy really brought the crew down big time. He was making calls from all over court he had no business making. Fans from both sides were really giving it to him all game.

Overall, really fun game and atmosphere. Im not worried about us in the slightest. To me, the key to the season is integrating tillie and geno back in the lineup during wcc play. I think the right call is keep the starters and being tillie off the bench, at least to start. Gives teams a really tough second unit look and doesnt throw off team chemistry.

Curious to hear your guys' thoughts. Sorry for the rant. Go Zags!

The tall ball headed ref was absolutely non consistent

Good recap

Agree with fosters minutes today

WallaWallaZag
12-09-2018, 08:42 PM
agree with #2...perkins has run the offense great, even spectacular at times, but he needs to score for this team to reach its potential, especially without tillie...right now he can't hit a wide open floater in the lane to save his life and even his three point shooting seems to have regressed. he has a decent mid-range jumper but he doesn't take the wide open ones and instead dribbles around and ends up shooting a difficult step-back or fade-away.

zagsfanforlife
12-09-2018, 09:30 PM
The tall ball headed ref was absolutely non consistent

Good recap

Agree with fosters minutes today

Yes.. baldie was awful

Worthington
12-09-2018, 09:33 PM
Great post, I think my only disagreement is with #3. I cringe every time Foster enters the game, especially when he is tasked with running the point. His ball handling skills are simply awful for a point guard. He is not a threat to do anything on the offensive side in a competitive game other than start off a play by making the initial pass. He's not looking at the basket, he's not breaking down the defense, he's no threat to shoot from the perimeter, he's simply not a solution as a back-up point guard on a top 5 team in the country.

I know there's no obvious answer with Crandall out, but at this point I would rather Ayayi or even a walk-on were getting those minutes, because it's a proven disaster on offense whenever Foster has the reigns. If Perkins is in the game and Foster is in the game for defensive purposes then that's another thing, because I have been impressed with him on that side of the ball.

Maybe this is harsh, but that's my impression through 10 games...

Birddog
12-10-2018, 04:37 AM
I thought Foster looked OK too until the last 20 or 30 seconds of the half. Was he flashy? no, but he held things together and didn't make any major screw ups. He was no worse than Crandall was in several early games.

GrizZAG
12-10-2018, 04:53 AM
While Perks is taking some heat from many, and his big 0 point performance is glaring, let’s be fair. He’s in a very difficult spot right now. Can’t foul out...period! Play controlled on offense, too important to take risk. Your role at this time is leader, director, facilitator and now “Artist”. Oh and by the way you are going to get run into the ground with little relief.
To those points the guy is doing it all but has a cost as we are witnessing. No hard drives to the lanes, not super aggressive on defense and throttled back by design. I think he’s doing what he’s being told to do. Josh is a selfless team leader and pushes when he can. If he fouls out we’re in deep do-do especially in the Tenn game. Tough place to be.
“He may not be the best player on the floor, but he’s the most important player for Gonzaga”.
I feel for the spot he’s in and admire his mature balancing act at this time.

bartruff1
12-10-2018, 05:23 AM
I really don't know the difference between a explanation and a excuse for why we lost.....it might be as simple as Tennessee had a very good defense....and it kept them in the game...... and gave them a opportunity to win at the end...and they did...

I also don't know if there is a fix for Gonzaga's defense.....it probably won't matter after North Carolina until the NCAA....

former1dog
12-10-2018, 06:55 AM
I really don't know the difference between a explanation and a excuse for why we lost.....it might be as simple as Tennessee had a very good defense....and it kept them in the game...... and gave them a opportunity to win at the end...and they did...

I also don't know if there is a fix for Gonzaga's defense.....it probably won't matter after North Carolina until the NCAA....

I agree that Tennessee played great defense, especially down the stretch. Gonzaga also played great defense for stretches in the second half which allowed them to build the lead up. I do think Gonzaga's defense can be fixed because I saw their defensive problems as mental lapses/mistakes rather than a physical inability to defend.

JPtheBeasta
12-10-2018, 07:14 AM
I agree that Tennessee played great defense, especially down the stretch. Gonzaga also played great defense for stretches in the second half which allowed them to build the lead up. I do think Gonzaga's defense can be fixed because I saw their defensive problems as mental lapses/mistakes rather than a physical inability to defend.

Fixable mental lapses is my take. They also are probably playing tired and tentative to avoid too many fouls, given the lack of depth. There were several wide open shots that, to Tennesee’s credit, they knocked down.

vandalzag
12-10-2018, 07:19 AM
Great post, I think my only disagreement is with #3. I cringe every time Foster enters the game, especially when he is tasked with running the point. His ball handling skills are simply awful for a point guard. He is not a threat to do anything on the offensive side in a competitive game other than start off a play by making the initial pass. He's not looking at the basket, he's not breaking down the defense, he's no threat to shoot from the perimeter, he's simply not a solution as a back-up point guard on a top 5 team in the country.

I know there's no obvious answer with Crandall out, but at this point I would rather Ayayi or even a walk-on were getting those minutes, because it's a proven disaster on offense whenever Foster has the reigns. If Perkins is in the game and Foster is in the game for defensive purposes then that's another thing, because I have been impressed with him on that side of the ball.

Maybe this is harsh, but that's my impression through 10 games...

Just wondering which of the walkons who you have not seen play would be a better option than Foster? Jack Beach is not that answer as a backup PG. If Few had a better option than Foster he would be playing them.

LTownZag
12-10-2018, 08:04 AM

I think in some respects, Geno Crandall is our most important player. That's a scary thought. It shows why the staff was putting so much effort into securing another PG for this year and where we might be with someone like Brandon Williams or a healthy Crandall playing his A game.

I agree that we have no hope of making or winning the championship if we are getting under 8 points or shooting such low effective FG% from the Point Guard spot. And I don't think Josh can put up those kind of numbers when he's playing on the ball. He plays his heart out, seems to be a great teammate and leader, and has really improved his most glaring original weakness, which was his TOs and silly mistakes. But Josh needs time and separation to get off his 3pt shot, and he has trouble creating either. He's also struggling more than ever at scoring or having anything good happen when he drives the ball. We outplayed a loaded Tennessee team in the post and on the wings, but Perkins (and Foster in his couple minutes) were 0/6 with no FT attempts. Those weren't last second jacked-up 3s or half court heaves either, just the kind of decent inside looks that Perkins has trouble finishing. That offensive deficiency was more than enough to make the difference in the game.

We don't need a ball-dominant score-first guard, but we can't win it all with PG offense like we've seen lately.

bartruff1
12-10-2018, 08:05 AM

I hope so....teach them to get into the Craig stance....get low...keep their hands straight up.... and move their feet to stay in front of their opponent....switch all screens ….and talk.....block out....it all seems so simple....but they don't do it consistently..

Alum08
12-10-2018, 08:10 AM
teach them to get into the Craig stance...

© Bill Walton 2018

former1dog
12-10-2018, 08:41 AM
I hope so....teach them to get into the Craig stance....get low...keep their hands straight up.... and move their feet to stay in front of their opponent....switch all screens ….and talk.....block out....it all seems so simple....but they don't do it consistently..

They have a big problem when opponents start whipping passes on the perimeter and someone inevitably loses a guy for a wide open three. Perhaps they need to cool it on the help sagging so much and trust that Brandon Clarke can provide adequate help defense if they drive?

webspinnre
12-10-2018, 08:51 AM

:roll: :000tens:

sittingon50
12-10-2018, 10:27 AM
© Bill Walton 2018

Credit where credit is due. Nice take Alum.

ProVeeZag
12-10-2018, 10:32 AM
© Bill Walton 2018

+10 Hilarious

Worthington
12-10-2018, 11:58 AM
Just wondering which of the walkons who you have not seen play would be a better option than Foster? Jack Beach is not that answer as a backup PG. If Few had a better option than Foster he would be playing them.

From what I've seen, I think Ayayi is the better and more confident player. Few is letting Foster back on the floor after a lot of 'meh' minutes and I'm seriously surprised that Ayayi hasn't at least gotten the same opportunity to prove himself. It's not that I believe there's an easy answer sitting on the bench somewhere, I just think someone else deserves to have their number called, seeing as Foster hasn't set the bar too high, in my opinion.

As far as walk-ons go, Paul Pennington and Matthew Lang both played high level AAU basketball and had good high school careers. If they hadn't chosen to walk-on at GU, they'd both be playing college ball somewhere. There's a chance one of them might be able to contribute eventually.

STIETZ543
12-10-2018, 02:40 PM
We cannot play zone defense. Every time we do the other team kills us. There is always someone wide open for a three and its usually a decent 3 point shooter.

WallaWallaZag
12-10-2018, 03:00 PM
We cannot play zone defense. Every time we do the other team kills us. There is always someone wide open for a three and its usually a decent 3 point shooter.

necessary because of a lack of depth...simple as that. it's also good to have in the bag of tricks to shake things up once in a while and works against teams that can't shoot. didn't cost the zags the game against the vols, which means it served its purpose...

maynard g krebs
12-10-2018, 11:00 PM
I think Perkins has improved considerably in his ability to score in the lane, and that your comments on Perkins are questionable. Here's why:

In the first five high major games of the season (A&M, Ill, Az, Duke, Creighton) he made 13 of 21 two pt shots, 63%. Versus UW and Tenn, he was 0/9. In the last 6 of those 7 games, he has averaged 36 minutes, and with virtually no relief from ball handling duties to free him up to be a scorer, or give just give him a respite from defensive on-ball pressure.

He is simply worn down and it is effecting his shots, as the data clearly shows. For the season, prior to the last two games, he had made 21 of 33 twos. Last two games, 0/9. From 63.6% to 0. That says fatigue to me. Leighton, did you watch the earlier games? Because he made 50% or more of his 2 pt shots in EVERY ONE of them.

MDABE80
12-11-2018, 12:00 AM
He did Maynard but not in the lane driving. He should be driving the key and then passing but he stops short around the foul line and rids himself of thee ball. His tear drops aren't falling and his layups look tentative. It might be fatigue (he deserves to be tired) but his game has changed and so has his shooting
We need more production from Josh, Norvell and whoever is positioned as a guard. Corey is coming along nicely but he's not running the team. Josh is that somebody with Norvell at times.

Hope both get better. Last year we reviewed avoidance of the key. Some thought it was a holdover from his jaw damage while others ( me ) thought it was just a preponderance of 3 pt shooting. Now I'm not so sure. Things do look different the last few games though.

Zagceo
12-11-2018, 05:13 AM
Up 9 with six min to go. Vols started chucking made 5 threes in last 6 min.

After that lob from Rui to Clarke crowd was loud and proud really felt the game in hand and momentum was ours and bang.

Bowden made 2 threes in 40 sec.

Wish Zag fans would have been able to purchase tickets behind Zag bench. They went to GCU. Zag fans sat across from bench and were loud but still far away imo

My 2 cents on the stadium...opened in 1992 cost $89 m..... renovated in ? for $67 m... now City is asking Tax payers for $182 more to update...polling says not gonna happen. Suns are in last place doesn't help. maybe Suns move to Seattle?

Great location good viewing angles and seats...horrible concessions and bathroom facilities...narrow design of corridors causing mass gridlock just getting to bathrooms or concessions.

also scoreboard outdated...showed score..team fouls..TOL which I thought meant time outs remaining but was wrong when I noticed Zag and UT both take TO when scoreboard had 0 in TOL column.

PA announcer on at least 2 occasions called out wrong player foul forcing coaching staff to run to scorers table and clarify. sloppy crew

SunDevilGolfZag
12-11-2018, 09:10 AM
I was at the game and seated on one end near the floor. As discussed, things didnít go our way at the end with the defensive lapse on Schofield. But it was Ruiís 4th foul with 3 minutes and something left that was really the killer. It was a rebound push foul where he gave the guy a tiny shove under the basket that was ill advised and didnít even get him an advantage. Technically was a foul for sure. But in the context of brutal interior pushing and shoving the whole game, I thought it was a no call. Instead of us going up by double digits, Rui came out of the game. Tough decision there. Vols scored easily on the ensuing in bounds play and reeled off 5 straight. IMO, this sequence was really why we lost. Palpably destroyed the momentum and got the smaller Tennessee crowd into the game. Great game, though. Well played and entertaining. Stating the obvious, but games arenít necessarily lost in the last seconds.

raise the zag
12-11-2018, 09:24 AM
I was at the game and seated on one end near the floor. As discussed, things didnít go our way at the end with the defensive lapse on Schofield. But it was Ruiís 4th foul with 3 minutes and something left that was really the killer. It was a rebound push foul where he gave the guy a tiny shove under the basket that was ill advised and didnít even get him an advantage. Technically was a foul for sure. But in the context of brutal interior pushing and shoving the whole game, I thought it was a no call. Instead of us going up by double digits, Rui came out of the game. Tough decision there. Vols scored easily on the ensuing in bounds play and reeled off 5 straight. IMO, this sequence was really why we lost. Palpably destroyed the momentum and got the smaller Tennessee crowd into the game. Great game, though. Well played and entertaining. Stating the obvious, but games arenít necessarily lost in the last seconds.

Insightful post.

Tough call on Rui, and tough call to leave him or sit him.

They kept Grant Williams in with 4 fouls and he still made several key rebounds before fouling out.

Tennessee scored 6 straight pts when Rui sat, and got within 1 by the time he returned to the game.

All within about 90 seconds too.

In that type of game, you go all in. Gamble. Especially with 2.5 mins to go. As I said earlier, ride or die with your best threat.

Hoopaholic
12-11-2018, 09:26 AM

the foul created an advantage for Rui to gain the rebound so I thought was a fair call
however we were only up by 5 at the time not near double digit leads 68-63
When he came back in we were ahead 70-68

for me the big issue was when we were up 64-55 and we let Bowden go off he hit a 3 pointer, hit a layup and another three pointer we didnt push lead into double digits and then let them get three good buckets

Hoopaholic
12-11-2018, 09:29 AM
Insightful post.

Tough call on Rui.

Tennessee scored 6 straight pts when Rui sat, and got within 1 by the time he returned to the game.

not accurate

rui goes out we are up 68-63
they make layp
We miss jumper Norvell
they hit 3 pointer
Clark makes two free throws
70-68 when rui returns

rui checked out at 3;46 and returns at the 2;49 mark with a tv timeout during that span

Hoopaholic
12-11-2018, 09:30 AM
Up 9 with six min to go. Vols started chucking made 5 threes in last 6 min.

After that lob from Rui to Clarke crowd was loud and proud really felt the game in hand and momentum was ours and bang.

Bowden made 2 threes in 40 sec.

Wish Zag fans would have been able to purchase tickets behind Zag bench. They went to GCU. Zag fans sat across from bench and were loud but still far away imo

My 2 cents on the stadium...opened in 1992 cost $89 m..... renovated in ? for $67 m... now City is asking Tax payers for $182 more to update...polling says not gonna happen. Suns are in last place doesn't help. maybe Suns move to Seattle?

Great location good viewing angles and seats...horrible concessions and bathroom facilities...narrow design of corridors causing mass gridlock just getting to bathrooms or concessions.

also scoreboard outdated...showed score..team fouls..TOL which I thought meant time outs remaining but was wrong when I noticed Zag and UT both take TO when scoreboard had 0 in TOL column.

PA announcer on at least 2 occasions called out wrong player foul forcing coaching staff to run to scorers table and clarify. sloppy crew

bowdens 8 pionts in 43 seconds killed us and didnt let us push the big lead into double digits BIG mo switched

Zagceo
12-11-2018, 09:41 AM
I was at the game and seated on one end near the floor. As discussed, things didn’t go our way at the end with the defensive lapse on Schofield. But it was Rui’s 4th foul with 3 minutes and something left that was really the killer. It was a rebound push foul where he gave the guy a tiny shove under the basket that was ill advised and didn’t even get him an advantage. Technically was a foul for sure. But in the context of brutal interior pushing and shoving the whole game, I thought it was a no call. Instead of us going up by double digits, Rui came out of the game. Tough decision there. Vols scored easily on the ensuing in bounds play and reeled off 5 straight. IMO, this sequence was really why we lost. Palpably destroyed the momentum and got the smaller Tennessee crowd into the game. Great game, though. Well played and entertaining. Stating the obvious, but games aren’t necessarily lost in the last seconds.

Rui was gassed....he let Alexander get rebounding position which created the problem of being out of position. Looking at a replay I believe Rui never extended his forearm with a push but it was a "flop" because Alexander was to far under the hoop to begin with(vet move) and ref is blocked out from underneath and will call the foul 9 outta 10 times.

Zagceo
12-11-2018, 09:59 AM
Insightful post.

Tough call on Rui, and tough call to leave him or sit him.

They kept Grant Williams in with 4 fouls and he still made several key rebounds before fouling out.

In that type of game, you go all in. Gamble. Especially with 2.5 mins to go. As I said earlier, ride or die with your best threat.

Rui on on fumes...was making bad decisions. needed a blow. made bad help decision which led to being outta position for rebound against Alexander resulting in foul. he was hurting us on defense and making bad shot choices on offense.

big guys can't play 34+ without paying toll...bad decisions gonna happen

Clarke 30 min
Schofield played 30min

https://i.imgur.com/xj2P2BB.png

SunDevilGolfZag
12-11-2018, 10:00 AM
the foul created an advantage for Rui to gain the rebound so I thought was a fair call
however we were only up by 5 at the time not near double digit leads 68-63
When he came back in we were ahead 70-68

for me the big issue was when we were up 64-55 and we let Bowden go off he hit a 3 pointer, hit a layup and another three pointer we didnt push lead into double digits and then let them get three good buckets

You’re right on the score. I didn’t relook at gamecast before posting. We would not have gone up double digits at that point had we scored instead of fouled. Same concept either way—killed momentum and changed game

bartruff1
12-11-2018, 10:19 AM
I don't buy the tired excuse....Tennessee won because thy played great defense and made the shots in crunch time...their defense in the last few minutes was very very good...Gonzaga's....not so much...

Zagceo
12-11-2018, 10:21 AM
I don't buy the tired excuse....Tennessee won because thy played great defense and made the shots in crunch time...their defense in the last few minutes was very very good...Gonzaga's....not so much...

why didn't Schofield play 40 min? Why put best player on the bench for a whole 10min?

bartruff1
12-11-2018, 10:47 AM
why didn't Schofield play 40 min? Why put best player on the bench for a whole 10min?

Ask Barnes...could be dozens of reasons for every minute...