PDA

View Full Version : 2019 - Brock Ravet Commit

hooter73
12-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Tracking the first couple games for Brock's senior high school season:

HS Boys Kittitas 102 Yakima Tribal 68 F Gonzaga Signee 2019 Brock Ravet 6í3 PG Kittitas 36pts @Brock3ravet
10:37 PM - 3 Dec 2018

Kittitas boys roll for a 90-45 victory. Brock Ravet with 24 points and 15 assists. Caleb Harris added 19 along with six rebounds. Bailey Gibson notched 21 and Martin Arreola had 16. Arreola also had an impressive eight steals.

bartruff1
12-07-2018, 10:10 AM
Soph at Cashmere put up 48 in three quarters this week against a good Chelan team........Yakama Tribal....really...

caldwellzag
12-07-2018, 11:10 AM
Good start to Brock's senior year. Thank you for starting this thread.

thespywhozaggedme
12-07-2018, 11:29 AM
Tracking the first couple games for Brock's senior high school season:

HS Boys Kittitas 102 Yakima Tribal 68 F Gonzaga Signee 2019 Brock Ravet 6’3 PG Kittitas 36pts @Brock3ravet
10:37 PM - 3 Dec 2018

Kittitas boys roll for a 90-45 victory. Brock Ravet with 24 points and 15 assists. Caleb Harris added 19 along with six rebounds. Bailey Gibson notched 21 and Martin Arreola had 16. Arreola also had an impressive eight steals.

15 assists!!!

thespywhozaggedme
12-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Soph at Cashmere put up 48 in three quarters this week against a good Chelan team........Yakama Tribal....really...

48 point and 3/4!!! Specifics please? Height weight name position? Thanks

bartruff1
12-07-2018, 01:16 PM
He is a guard....I have no specifics but he looks to be about 6 foot and 150 pounds....you might google the Wenatchee World or the Cashmere Valley High School site if they have one....his name is Mason Landdeck….I heard that he played with Ravet when he was a freshman ??? There must be something in the water..... I suspect he has been to camp at Gonzaga... .

MR.HUSTLE
12-07-2018, 01:17 PM

Mason Landdeck????

bartruff1
12-07-2018, 01:30 PM
Mason Landdeck????

Yes….I don't follow prep sports unless I have a heir playing...but I might have to go see Magnificent Mason...

ZagNative
12-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Brock with 18 points and 9 assists in a 69-49 win over Tri-Cities Prep yesterday.

https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/kittitas-boys-pull-away-in-the-fourth-quarter-defeating-tri/article_68eb8bf1-02d9-5b3b-a3f4-f711194cad73.html

Radbooks
12-13-2018, 05:53 PM
I'm putting this here, but I think it should maybe go to the main page if some mod wants to move it. It's a 4 or 5 minute video from KREM about Brock and his hometown and how he got to Gonzaga, etc.

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/brock-ravets-journey-from-small-town-star-to-big-time-recruit/293-623395314

Thank you for sharing this!

hooter73
12-13-2018, 09:19 PM
Thanks for posting. My dad called me to tell me the piece was on tonight but my boy had a practice so we didn’t get to see it air.

thespywhozaggedme
12-14-2018, 06:32 AM
I'm putting this here, but I think it should maybe go to the main page if some mod wants to move it. It's a 4 or 5 minute video from KREM about Brock and his hometown and how he got to Gonzaga, etc.

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/brock-ravets-journey-from-small-town-star-to-big-time-recruit/293-623395314

keeps crashing.

ZagNative
12-20-2018, 10:26 AM
"Brock Ravet inching closer to the top of all-time scoring leader list"

https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/brock-ravet-inching-closer-to-the-top-of-all-time/article_03304072-ce24-51d6-89d2-8e3777b35472.html

Kittitas’ Brock Ravet just keeps getting closer and closer.

After starting in seventh place on the high school boys all-time scoring leaders in the state, Ravet now sits in third with a career 2,443 points.

Jeremy Groth sits in second on the list from Curlew High School (2000), but Ravet needs just five more points to pass Groth.

That means Ravet will have the rest of the season to catch Central Washington University’s own, Lance Den Boer. He has notched a career 2,851 points at Sunnyside Christian High School (2003).

Den Boer started at Washington State University but transferred to CWU after he learned Dick Bennett was taking over the program.

Ravet has been a four-year starter, leading ‘Yotes to back-to-back 2B state titles. This season, Ravet has notched 182 points in eight games, averaging about 22.8 per contest.

bigblahla
12-21-2018, 06:10 AM
IMO.... contrary to what some on this board think... the kids a baller and just like with Stocks and Hart the blinders will come off of the naysayers.... reminds me of Luke Ridnour.... who would have been a great Zag if he hadn't grown webfeet...

Go!! Zags!!!

bartruff1
12-21-2018, 06:54 AM
Soph Mason Landdeck at Cashmere had another 48 point game and followed that up with a 35 point game....I don't think Brock would mind sharing this thread with him on occasion..as I understand they were teammates at Kittitas ….

Zagdawg
12-21-2018, 07:20 AM
Luke Olson

@lukeolsonb
Follow Follow @lukeolsonb
More
Brock Ravet’s triple-double leads Kittitas past Lyle High School, 90-55. He notched 32 points, 11 assists and 10 boards.

hooter73
12-21-2018, 07:34 AM
Heck yeah, nice numbers

Zagdawg
12-22-2018, 10:04 AM
Brock Ravet's journey from a small town kid to basketball star heading to Gonzaga

https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/brock-ravet-s-journey-from-a-small-town-kid-to/article_14b94ae0-59fb-585e-b038-88ef4dbc0658.html

zag buddy
12-22-2018, 02:48 PM
We are getting a good one.
https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/brock-ravet-s-journey-from-a-small-town-kid-to/article_14b94ae0-59fb-585e-b038-88ef4dbc0658.html

zag buddy
12-22-2018, 03:02 PM
Mods I inadvertently double posted please remove one of them.

Malastein
12-22-2018, 03:04 PM
After reading this, I am more firmly convinced that Brock will shine much like Pangos did coming in as a freshman. Hoping he can become as great as Dickau!

katman50
12-22-2018, 03:42 PM
Great story. A committed gym rat. Brock is going to work out just fine for the Zags. Plus, he is a superb free throw shooter.

Unbiased
12-22-2018, 06:51 PM
His bio reminds me a lot of Luke Ridnour from Blaine. Let's hope Brock can have the same success.

ZagNative
12-22-2018, 10:23 PM
Copied from Anton Watson's thread:
From the News Tribune, "PRESEASON ALL-STATE BOYS BASKETBALL" (https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/high-school/article223423675.html)

Zags have two!

Brock Ravet, Kittitas

Guard, 6-1, sr.

Reigning 2B state player of the year, and two-time state champion, is headed to Gonzaga — one of the top Division I programs in the country — after he wraps up his senior season. Four-star prospect is averaging 23.8 points per game, and has already nailed 40 3-pointers. Was named Washington’s Gatorade Player of the Year as a junior.

Anton Watson, Gonzaga Prep

Forward, 6-8, sr.

Was one of the most electrifying players in the Tacoma Dome as a junior, and paced Gonzaga Prep to a title win over Federal Way. Gonzaga signee is a four-star recruit, a top-50 recruit nationally in the 2019 class, and the reigning 4A state player of the year. Has a dominating presence on the court, and is averaging 25.3 points per game.

DixieZag
12-23-2018, 06:39 AM
Oh.

Wow.

willandi
12-23-2018, 07:39 AM
Love this.

How many records MIGHT he have when his four years as a Zag are done?

bartruff1
12-23-2018, 09:45 AM
None....the game and season and career records for a guard at Gonzaga are now all pretty much out of reach.....

Reborn
12-23-2018, 10:42 AM
His bio reminds me a lot of Luke Ridnour from Blaine. Let's hope Brock can have the same success.

Good comparison. I've seen both of them play. I reallly enjoyed the artile. It's mostly reads like a biography.

Malastein
12-23-2018, 11:08 AM
None....the game and season and career records for a guard at Gonzaga are now all pretty much out of reach.....

The nice thing is that he steps onto campus with 0s across the board, and his will and talent will determine what he’ll do as a Zag! He’ll probably get a lot of minutes right out of the gate with Perkins and Geno not on the roster. I’m hoping he proves you wrong!

bartruff1
12-23-2018, 11:12 AM
Don't we all..

JPtheBeasta
12-23-2018, 11:25 AM

I loved Ridnour with Oregon and Seattle. If Ravet is on that level we have a good one.

jazzdelmar
12-23-2018, 12:37 PM
Luke was a McDonald’s all American.

I loved Ridnour with Oregon and Seattle. If Ravet is on that level we have a good one.

Zagceo
12-23-2018, 12:49 PM
Luke was a McDonaldís all American.

and Mr basketball...2000

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Mr._Basketball

willandi
12-23-2018, 01:22 PM
Luke was a McDonald’s all American.

and Mr basketball...2000

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Mr._Basketball

So these don't count?

Brock has been a four-year starter for Kittitas and recently was awarded the 2017 Gatorade Player of the Year for his sterling junior season. The 6-foot-1, 175-pound guard averaged 31.0 points a game, 8.8 rebounds and 9.0 assists. He was also 2B Player of the Year in the 2016-17 season along with his two Eastern Washington Athletic Conference (EWAC) MVPs.

I don't see where the 2017 Gatorade Player of the year was for 2B

If he comes anywhere close to those stats, he will own ALL the GU guard records.

Markburn1
12-23-2018, 04:11 PM
High School stats don't necessarily translate to D1 College basketball.

Silas Melson had a pretty good resume as far as scoring in HS. Scored 40 in All Star game at the end of his prep run. I absolutely love the defense Silas brought to the Zags. Never reached the offensive hype he came in with.

Brock will not be what Silas was as far as defense. So, hopefully his offense translates.

maynard g krebs
12-23-2018, 04:19 PM
So these don't count?

Brock has been a four-year starter for Kittitas and recently was awarded the 2017 Gatorade Player of the Year for his sterling junior season. The 6-foot-1, 175-pound guard averaged 31.0 points a game, 8.8 rebounds and 9.0 assists. He was also 2B Player of the Year in the 2016-17 season along with his two Eastern Washington Athletic Conference (EWAC) MVPs.

I don't see where the 2017 Gatorade Player of the year was for 2B

If he comes anywhere close to those stats, he will own ALL the GU guard records.

The Ridnour suggestion puts an unfair expectation on Brock imo. Rid was really fast/quick in addition to his exceptional skills; in addition to being in the MCDAA game he was an early entry lottery pick after his junior year at UO. Think he was conference POY in a pretty strong pac, though memory is hazy on that.

I'm in the camp that says he could be mentioned in the same realm as Pangos when he's done, and maybe has a shot at being another Dickau, albeit that's a long shot. But those player of the year awards are subjective. No one would put Ravet in the same category as the top 3 players in the state last year: Kevin Porter of Rainier Beach/USE, Jaden McDaniels of Fed Way, Watson. The first two are likely one and done lottery picks.

Malastein
12-23-2018, 04:27 PM
Sometimes you just have good feelings about kids, and I think Ravet is going to surprise people from the get go.

Zagger
12-23-2018, 07:25 PM
Love it when we get NW USA & SW Canadian kids at GU. Not to say I don’t appreciate all the other Zags no matter where they hail from. It’s just extra special seeing the Zags do so well with local kids. It helps the overall community approach GU basketball employs.

Unbiased
12-23-2018, 08:07 PM
The Ridnour suggestion puts an unfair expectation on Brock imo. Rid was really fast/quick in addition to his exceptional skills; in addition to being in the MCDAA game he was an early entry lottery pick after his junior year at UO. Think he was conference POY in a pretty strong pac, though memory is hazy on that.

I'm in the camp that says he could be mentioned in the same realm as Pangos when he's done, and maybe has a shot at being another Dickau, albeit that's a long shot. But those player of the year awards are subjective. No one would put Ravet in the same category as the top 3 players in the state last year: Kevin Porter of Rainier Beach/USE, Jaden McDaniels of Fed Way, Watson. The first two are likely one and done lottery picks.

Let me repeat myself. "His Bio reminds me a lot of Luke Ridnour from Blaine. Emphasis added.

willandi
12-23-2018, 08:40 PM

You are probably right (you often are) but my point was...after a 4 year time at Gonzaga, he COULD hold many of the guard records. I'm not saying he will, but also not foolish enough to say they are all out of his reach.

maynard g krebs
12-23-2018, 11:25 PM
Let me repeat myself. "His Bio reminds me a lot of Luke Ridnour from Blaine. Emphasis added.

Sorry. Wasn't criticizing your post, and I probably misinterpreted Will's intent a bit in my response. Just saying Ridnour was on another level in response to gatorade poy comment. Comments in response to comments in response to comments tend to create some drift from the original idea. I agree, bios are pretty similar. Bob Ridnour used to drive Luke down from Blaine 3 times a week in the summer to scrimmage/play pickup when he wasn't doing AAU, so yeah, lots of similarity in that regard.

Rid is one of my all time favorites, and I'm hoping Brock joins that group.

maynard g krebs
12-23-2018, 11:26 PM
You are probably right (you often are) but my point was...after a 4 year time at Gonzaga, he COULD hold many of the guard records. I'm not saying he will, but also not foolish enough to say they are all out of his reach.

Fair enough, and I agree.

Reborn
12-24-2018, 10:24 AM
Glad to see so much discussion about Ravet. What is interesting about transferable skills from high school is is not shooting. If you're a good shooter you should be a good shooter in college (if you have confidence). IMO Ravet has a ton of confidence. It doesn't hurt Ravet at all, imo, to play for Kittitas. He plays on an elite basketball team in the summer and plays against the best basketball players in the country. The reason I compared Ravet to Ridnour was comparing him to Ridnour's ability to control a basketball game. Brock has all the skills any point guard needs to have control of a game. I would never compare Ravet to Melson. They play different positions and have different skills. Brock can really handle the basketball. He can dribble and pass like to other player I've seen in high school. For this reason I think he is very comparable to Perkins, whom I think can really handle the ball and control a game. He has excellent vision of the court and knows how to get the ball to open men. Brock also can shoot from the outside as well as Perkins.

The comparison to Pangos is also excellent because both are about the same size.

Go GU!!!

GeorgiaZagFan
12-24-2018, 11:57 AM
So Brock is a PG who could take over for Perkins next year? Do we expect him to start next year? ..or share time with Ayayi and Foster? If I remember Few usually doesn't like PG by committee so one of them will probably step up and take the reins for most of the minutes with the other 2 backing up...

MDABE80
12-24-2018, 12:02 PM
It's always difficult to know how a small school kid will do on a large D1 stage. I do believe Brock's got the HS skills to do well somewhere in college. It seems the Zags are moving up with harder schedules and a league on the rise. DO I think he's a game ready as Pangos was? No .but few are. I hope he's got the goods right away. Big adjustment though. I do know the whole board will be hoping he's a killer. He's very coachable and willing to learn from what I can hear from the occasional breakfast I have with some of the staff. Here's hoping for the best. The college game has shifted to a high speed transitional game. Brock's got the shooting down. Passes well too. How he does in a faster environment is unknown right now. He's down very well in the AAU circuit though......but that's HS kids. From what I can tell, he'll keep up and should develop very well in Few's system.

Markburn1
12-24-2018, 01:04 PM
The Melson mention was to point out that statistics from high school are rarely transferable at the same rates. Brock is not going to average thirty ppg with nine rebounds and nine assists. If he approaches half of that , we’ll all be singing his praises more than coach k gets massaged by Vitale. Expecting Brock to set Zags all time records before he finishes high school is way overboard.

DixieZag
12-24-2018, 06:20 PM
Glad to see so much discussion about Ravet. What is interesting about transferable skills from high school is is not shooting. If you're a good shooter you should be a good shooter in college (if you have confidence). IMO Ravet has a ton of confidence. It doesn't hurt Ravet at all, imo, to play for Kittitas. He plays on an elite basketball team in the summer and plays against the best basketball players in the country. The reason I compared Ravet to Ridnour was comparing him to Ridnour's ability to control a basketball game. Brock has all the skills any point guard needs to have control of a game. I would never compare Ravet to Melson. They play different positions and have different skills. Brock can really handle the basketball. He can dribble and pass like to other player I've seen in high school. For this reason I think he is very comparable to Perkins, whom I think can really handle the ball and control a game. He has excellent vision of the court and knows how to get the ball to open men. Brock also can shoot from the outside as well as Perkins.

The comparison to Pangos is also excellent because both are about the same size.

Go GU!!!

Good comment.

It's always a little unfair to kids to put any sort of expectations on them having to do with a former player, not the least bc everyone is an individual and unique, will bring their own unique mix.

And having said that, if he can perform whatever his skills are, at a level even close to the level that Pangos and Bell came in as frosh (I realize Bell played a different position), we'll be so far ahead of where fear we might be regarding PG next year.

I think even we fail to truly appreciate just how amazing it was to have two frosh guards step on the court basically from game one at the level they did.

tyra
12-24-2018, 08:23 PM
How fast is Brock? How quick is he? (Which is different.) How is his lateral speed? Do we have any objective measure of his speed?

raise the zag
12-25-2018, 01:48 AM
How fast is Brock? How quick is he? (Which is different.) How is his lateral speed? Do we have any objective measure of his speed?

Ravet is smart, crafty, hard nosed. All the cliches of a player lacking speed but they are accurate with him.

His scouting report is straight forward and to the point. There is a reason Rivals and 247 keep him ranked between 100-150. He has gone up and down, yet one thing holding him back...

Defense. He tries but gets blown by one on one, even at the 1A level. Lacking lateral footspeed, and sags off his man most of the time. Has no choice.

Brock will do just fine shooting, scoring, and using his patented cross over step back jump shot. Although, this move is often telegraphed and being scouted/defended a tad better this year. Its mostly 'unguardable', and a 'next lvl' move he has perfected.

He has excellent handles, aggressive, creative, and just tough minded on offense. A very good shooter but not elite level. Players like Pangos shot 50-55% from 3pt in HS, Brock sticks around 40%. I think he takes more difficult shots than a player like Pangos did, but similar style. Brock plays "bigger" on offense even though he is just 6'1". Pangos a much better defender at the same level. Night and day.

I fully expect Brock to play from Day 1. Too good of a scorer/shooter not to, yet not sure he will play full time given his woes on defense.

I compare him to Corey Kispert in style. Brock goes non stop, can score, pushes the ball, is offensively gifted, and will work his tail off on the court, but can't really defend anyone. Now, Brock won't be asked to defend as hard of mismatches as Kispert needs to, but would consider their strengths and limitations very similar.

247 posts a concise scouting report on Brock.

They talk about his solid frame, combo guard game, smart play, & savvy style on the court. Has wiggle and a couple elite moves. He is tough to defend but also not going to stop anyone which could hold him back some.

Brock will become a star in many ways at Gonzaga but will be hard to employ him for 30 mins a game unless we hide him on defense.

No one likes this comparison/projection, as I've posted it many of times, but he reminds me of Gerry McNamara from Syracuse. He just fights for offense, is unflappable, can hit shots from anywhere and anyway possible, yet 'Cuse zone helped cover up his defense issues. Same size, mindset, game, etc.

DixieZag
12-25-2018, 11:35 AM
Ravet is smart, crafty, hard nosed. All the cliches of a player lacking speed but they are accurate with him.

His scouting report is straight forward and to the point. There is a reason Rivals and 247 keep him ranked between 100-150. He has gone up and down, yet one thing holding him back...

Defense. He tries but gets blown by one on one, even at the 1A level. Lacking lateral footspeed, and sags off his man most of the time. Has no choice.

Brock will do just fine shooting, scoring, and using his patented cross over step back jump shot. Although, this move is often telegraphed and being scouted/defended a tad better this year. Its mostly 'unguardable', and a 'next lvl' move he has perfected.

He has excellent handles, aggressive, creative, and just tough minded on offense. A very good shooter but not elite level. Players like Pangos shot 50-55% from 3pt in HS, Brock sticks around 40%. I think he takes more difficult shots than a player like Pangos did, but similar style. Brock plays "bigger" on offense even though he is just 6'1". Pangos a much better defender at the same level. Night and day.

I fully expect Brock to play from Day 1. Too good of a scorer/shooter not to, yet not sure he will play full time given his woes on defense.

I compare him to Corey Kispert in style. Brock goes non stop, can score, pushes the ball, is offensively gifted, and will work his tail off on the court, but can't really defend anyone. Now, Brock won't be asked to defend as hard of mismatches as Kispert needs to, but would consider their strengths and limitations very similar.

247 posts a concise scouting report on Brock.

They talk about his solid frame, combo guard game, smart play, & savvy style on the court. Has wiggle and a couple elite moves. He is tough to defend but also not going to stop anyone which could hold him back some.

Brock will become a star in many ways at Gonzaga but will be hard to employ him for 30 mins a game unless we hide him on defense.

No one likes this comparison/projection, as I've posted it many of times, but he reminds me of Gerry McNamara from Syracuse. He just fights for offense, is unflappable, can hit shots from anywhere and anyway possible, yet 'Cuse zone helped cover up his defense issues. Same size, mindset, game, etc.

That's an amazing report. Honest. Thorough. Exciting. But sober.

tyra
12-25-2018, 01:42 PM
Thank you Raise the Zag. Your incredible report is precisely why this board and its thoughtful contributors are such a blessing.

WallaWallaZag
12-26-2018, 12:14 AM
pangos tried, but wasn't much of a defender...if ravet is even worse...well, he better be dickau-like on offense.

webspinnre
12-26-2018, 09:26 AM
pangos tried, but wasn't much of a defender...if ravet is even worse...well, he better be dickau-like on offense.

Not everyone needs to be a 36+ mpg Mr. GU.

cggonzaga
12-26-2018, 01:13 PM

RTZ’s comments are pretty spot on. But yes, Ravet is Dickau good offensively. Not as consistent a shooter but when he gets it going...good night Irene. He’s a better penetrator than Dickau imo.

WallaWallaZag
12-31-2018, 01:36 PM
RTZ’s comments are pretty spot on. But yes, Ravet is Dickau good offensively. Not as consistent a shooter but when he gets it going...good night Irene. He’s a better penetrator than Dickau imo.

this is what worries me...he's likely not going to be a volume guy at gonzaga with the diversity of weapons and the difficulty he'll likely have creating his own shot, so consistency is very important. if his shot isn't going down, is he good enough to impact the game in other ways and get playing time? i'm beginning to feel a little like that with regards to kispert...if he's not hitting threes, he becomes a liability.

Zagdawg
01-05-2019, 07:32 PM
LeftCoastRecruiting

@LC_Recruiting
12h12 hours ago
More
Final: Kittitas 77, White Swan 39. @Brock3ravet 25 pts for Kittitas

Zagdawg
01-06-2019, 07:45 AM
Carl Howell

@CoachCarlHowell
12h12 hours ago
More
Our guy @Brock3ravet with 35 points & 10 assists in another big win tonight for Kittitas!

BobZag
01-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Carl Howell

@CoachCarlHowell
12h12 hours ago
More
Our guy @Brock3ravet with 35 points & 10 assists in another big win tonight for Kittitas!

+1!

Zagceo
01-06-2019, 05:30 PM
can Ravet dunk?

doctorzag
01-06-2019, 06:15 PM
can Ravet dunk?

Not sure but he sure can shoot the three and last I heard they were worth 50% more than a dunk.

LTownZag
01-06-2019, 07:25 PM
can Ravet dunk?

“He was starting to be able to dunk, not that dunking matters, and he could play athletically a little faster and stronger,” Tim Ravet said. “That went backwards for a week or two when he got sick, but he’s definitely stronger, shooting the ball well from pretty deep and handling the ball and making people double-team him.”

From early in his junior high school year. (http://www.swxrightnow.com/stories/2018/jan/02/gonzagas-2018-2019-recruits-start-off-prep-seasons/)

Zagceo
01-07-2019, 09:33 AM
Not sure but he sure can shoot the three and last I heard they were worth 50% more than a dunk.

true but it sure makes breakaway lay ins a lot less dramatic.

Mantua
01-07-2019, 07:06 PM
true but it sure makes breakaway lay ins a lot less dramatic.

It’s highly doubtful that he would miss them so I’d be happy to trade points for drama.

Zagceo
01-08-2019, 12:32 PM
It’s highly doubtful that he would miss them so I’d be happy to trade points for drama.

its about them getting blocked

Shooter
01-08-2019, 08:44 PM
I've watched him play a bunch of times now. And he is no Ridnour or Pangos. I think a good Zag to compare him to would be Stepp. But he's shorter and a heavier than Stepp. He is an excellent rebounder, decent 3 point shooter, good passer, is physical driving and creates space with his strength to create shots but he is a terrible defender. He can't guard at the 2B level which is scary to me for a guy headed to Gonzaga. I think a career similar to Stepp's is his ceiling. But I think something closer to David Stockton is more likely. I like him. But he is a backup PG most likely. He would be someone that 10 years ago I would have been excited to see Gonzaga get.

Zagceo
01-08-2019, 08:51 PM
I've watched him play a bunch of times now. And he is no Ridnour or Pangos. I think a good Zag to compare him to would be Stepp. But he's shorter and a heavier than Stepp. He is an excellent rebounder, decent 3 point shooter, good passer, is physical driving and creates space with his strength to create shots but he is a terrible defender. He can't guard at the 2B level which is scary to me for a guy headed to Gonzaga. I think a career similar to Stepp's is his ceiling. But I think something closer to David Stockton is more likely. I like him. But he is a backup PG most likely. He would be someone that 10 years ago I would have been excited to see Gonzaga get.

Thanks for the report.

bigblahla
01-09-2019, 07:20 AM

I never worried once with the ball in Blake Stepp's hands... Like DD said if his knees were good he would have played at least 10 years in the NBA... a consummate floor general and Zag.... if Ravet is like Stepp that is huge for GU...

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagceo
01-09-2019, 07:35 AM
Blake Stepp was a great player for Gonzaga 19 years ago.

bartruff1
01-09-2019, 08:47 AM
Blake Stepp was a great player for Gonzaga 19 years ago.

If Ravet is half the player Stepp was, I will be very pleasantly surprised....comparing this youngster to players like Pangos and Dan is just not fair to him.....that is a very high bar...

doctorzag
01-09-2019, 02:08 PM

Ravet is definitely not heavier than Stepp. A career similar to Stepp would make Ravet an all-time great not a backup. Are you sure you even know who Stepp is?

former1dog
01-09-2019, 03:11 PM

Based on your comments alone, I don't think you know who Blake Stepp is or what he represented for the Gonzaga Basketball Program. Mark Few on more than one occasion referred to Stepp as the best player ever in the program. Those statement are a little dated and don't include some of the more current guys, but that is high praise.

He was WCC player of the year twice and I think at least one of those years didn't practice at all, just played in games due to chronic knee issues. He was drafted by the Minnesota Timberwolves in the second round and was considered a shoo in to make the roster but because of the those knee issues, he ultimately had to give up playing.

Stepp was a great, great player and if he were magically available to play now and had eligibility, Mark Few would have a difficult decision because he would have to bench Norvelle or Perkins to make room for him in the starting line up.

TheOtherGreatOne
01-09-2019, 04:47 PM

Either you do not know anything about Blake Stepp, or you sir are the worst evaluater of basketball talent that ever lived. If Stepp was on this team, as good as it is he would start, he was that good.

willandi
01-09-2019, 06:24 PM

So you're saying he will play in the NBA! That's great!

ZagNative
01-10-2019, 10:44 PM
Brock's Kittitas team to play Kentlake in the MLK Showcase January 21 at 3:30. https://www.kentreporter.com/sports/kentlake-kentwood-boys-kentridge-girls-to-play-in-mlk-showcase-eric-anderson-classic/

Shooter
01-12-2019, 11:20 PM
Apparently people have a hard time reading. I said Stepp is his ceiling. Which if you don't understand that, it means that's as good as you can expect if everything works out perfectly for him. I said I think he will be more like Stockton. Meaning if I was gonna bet I would bet on him being more like David Stockton.

As far as how great Stepp is he was a really good player for the Zags (still pissed about the bunny he missed against AZ). I wouldn't put him as the best as someone said that Few said he was. But i'll bet you most coaches favorites would be a lot different than a fans.

If David Stockton's college and NBA career excites you then you should be excited about Ravet.

willandi
01-13-2019, 11:04 AM
Apparently people have a hard time reading. I said Stepp is his ceiling. Which if you don't understand that, it means that's as good as you can expect if everything works out perfectly for him. I said I think he will be more like Stockton. Meaning if I was gonna bet I would bet on him being more like David Stockton.

As far as how great Stepp is he was a really good player for the Zags (still pissed about the bunny he missed against AZ). I wouldn't put him as the best as someone said that Few said he was. But i'll bet you most coaches favorites would be a lot different than a fans.

If David Stockton's college and NBA career excites you then you should be excited about Ravet.

Welcome to the board!

One thing you MAY learn is that many here will challenge and respond to your posts. Many here are heavily invested in basketball, especially Gonzaga basketball, either through having attended Gonzaga, being involved in basketball and/or having been a fan of basketball for many years.

Should you choose to have an adversarial relationship with the other members of this forum, you are more than welcome to. Having only 2 posts you WILL be challenged. You, and only you, can choose what your relationship to the other members of this forum.

Again welcome, and thank you for sharing YOUR opinions.

Zagceo
01-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Welcome to the board!

One thing you MAY learn is that many here will challenge and respond to your posts. Many here are heavily invested in basketball, especially Gonzaga basketball, either through having attended Gonzaga, being involved in basketball and/or having been a fan of basketball for many years.

Should you choose to have an adversarial relationship with the other members of this forum, you are more than welcome to. Having only 2 posts you WILL be challenged. You, and only you, can choose what your relationship to the other members of this forum.

Again welcome, and thank you for sharing YOUR opinions.

kinda sounds "Mission Impossiblish" ...I like it

sittingon50
01-13-2019, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I let that one slide last night.

David Stockton was a fine Zag, but the distance between he & Stepp is the difference between Soph. Olynyk & Jr. Olynyk.

Would be terrific if Brock reached the later.

Just an opinion, of course.

zag67
01-13-2019, 06:36 PM
One of the keys with people who judge our freshmen, is that we compare them to people like Stepp and Stockton when they are juniors and seniors. We need to let them mature and learn.

Bogozags
01-14-2019, 09:19 AM

Welcome!

I understand what you are saying AND that is your opinion RIGHT or WRONG...others have a different opinion and that doesn't make them anymore correct then yours...

I have not seen this young man play and look forward to him joining the team this summer and hopefully hearing reports on how he is fitting into the flow.

I hope you are correct in your assumption of Ravet, because Stepp was GREAT!

I know from reading posts about him he is around 6' so his size isn't optimum but evidently Coach Few and the staff believe he will be an excellent Zag...

bartruff1
01-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Shooter, don't pay much.... if any.... attention to the people who criticize your opinions....welcome to the forum...

BobZag
01-21-2019, 04:39 PM
30 points, 13 rebounds & 8 assists in Kittitas’s big 77-52 win over Kentlake today in the Showare Center.

sittingon50
01-21-2019, 08:33 PM
30 points, 13 rebounds & 8 assists in Kittitas’s big 77-52 win over Kentlake today in the Showare Center.

Westsiders, how is Kentlake in relation to their league?

Birddog
01-22-2019, 03:15 AM
Westsiders, how is Kentlake in relation to their league?

It looks like they are 9 and 9 on the season, 6 and 6 in district and on a 3 game losing streak, so I'd guess middle of the road.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/kentlake-falcons-(kent,wa)/basketball/home.htm

Zagdawg
01-22-2019, 08:14 AM
https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/kittitas-shows-west-side-of-washington-what-their-made-of/article_166b7f05-d66c-54bf-8abb-b246b1ac4ab0.html

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/high-school/article224586495.html

bdmiller7
01-22-2019, 08:36 AM
It looks like they are 9 and 9 on the season, 6 and 6 in district and on a 3 game losing streak, so I'd guess middle of the road.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/kentlake-falcons-(kent,wa)/basketball/home.htm

Still not bad for a 2B vs a 4A team.

sittingon50
01-22-2019, 10:29 AM
Thanks for all the links.

I would posit that that was a pretty decent performance.

Radbooks
01-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Here's Bud Wither's take on Brock:

https://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/341303/the-wizardry-and-the-imponderable-of

Zagceo
01-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Ravet is listed 6'1" 174....not comparing play but size...Jesse Wade was 6'1" 175..

I watch Mac McClung 6'2" 185 play for Georgetown and he has huge vertical. Starts as a frosh put up 38 in a game.

I do know Morrison is high on Ravet from summer scrimmages. I sure hope Ravet is working on his vertical

Zagceo
01-22-2019, 01:54 PM
Here's Bud Wither's take on Brock:

good news

this is what Mac McClung started using in 8th grade

https://www.vertimax.com/hs-fs/hubfs/FOX_1592.jpg?width=2560&name=FOX_1592.jpg

thanks

maynard g krebs
01-22-2019, 03:00 PM
Figured I'd put this here where it would get seen a bit before being moved.

Only chance to see Brock in person, and I came away impressed. I've seen most of (counted 15) the regional recruits in person at least once in their hs careers, and I was pretty impressed, at least on the offensive end of the floor. Defense, well, I'll defer to Raise's comments.

Kentlake is a middling SPSL team, but imo they do play in the second best league in the state after the metro, a bit ahead of the GSL and the Vancouver area league. Had a couple of listed 6'4 kids as their biggest starters; fair athleticism, but basically a run of the mill 4a team. Game was even through a quarter and a half, then Kittitas went on a run the last 3 or 4 min to get a dbl digit lead at halftime.

Kittitas didn't list a starter over 6'1, but they were probably a bit more honest on their heights. Ravet was only an inch or 2 shorter than the kids Kent listed at 6'4, and he played inside on D. Maybe a questionable on-ball defender at this point for the high major level, as others have said. But the 13 rebounds playing pg says he positions and anticipates well, and competes hard on the glass for a team that needs him to do that. IMO that alone made any Jesse Wade comps moot; no way Wade guards those guys or gets more than a half dozen boards in that game, plus I never saw Wade handle or pass anything like what I saw yesterday.

Best handles I've seen in a GU guard recruit; seems far faster w/ the ball than without it; really shifty and elusive. Tremendous vision; threads the needle like Perk to an open teammate underneath, and will hit a streaking teammate w/ a three quarter court pass over retreating defenders in stride. REborn's comments on his passing are spot on imo. I thought he threw a half dozen passes worthy of Magic; a bit of hyperbole in that statement, but not much. Of course, w/ the caveat that he's doing it v modest hs talent, and there's no way to tell how that will translate to D1. But could easily have had dbl digit assists in this game.

And as Raise has said, that stepback 3 is lethal and unguardable; as good as the one Jeremiah Dominguez used v the Zags, quick and on balance. I can't see Few telling him not to use it; imo it is better already than Norvell's stepback move, which I don't like and a shot Norvell seems to miss a lot. But if Few lets NOrvell use it, I can't see him telling Ravet not to until he misses it a bunch. It's integral, imo, in setting up his drives and dishes. On this level he's pretty good at driving to the basket, but no way to tell how that will translate until seeing him do it with some 6'10 guys in the middle.

Kittitas was one of the better coached hs teams I've seen; reminded me a bit of G Prep in that regard. Looked like it was gonna be a fairly even game for the first 12 minutes, and then K just started blitzing them. A lot of that was due to Ravet finding open guys and moving the ball quickly, even if it didn't always lead to him getting an assist.

Personally, I think he's better than Raivio when I saw Raivio in hs, Far, far better than Melson offensively, though obviously not on defense. I'd take him overall v Melson out of hs. Not as good overall as Bell, who was a huge scorer in hs as well as top notch defender. But better both as a 1 on 1 scorer, and as a passer. Best passing recruit I've seen, only one who compares is Perk as a passer.

Defense could be the thing that keeps him from getting early minutes, I don't have the expertise to say. I do agree w/ the post that Stepp is his ceiling, if you consider Stepp the equal of Dickau. But I saw Dickau in person about a dozen times his fr year at UW, when Bender said defense was what kept him off the floor most of the year. (Big mistake on Bender's part, which he corrected the last third of the season and got to the sweet 16 largely as a result).

But the idea of Stockton being his floor is a mile off base imo, if we're talking about Stocton as a Zag. Stockton as a pro, maybe; haven't seen him there. I'd say he should be as good as Raivio or Pangos offensively. Defense, I have no idea if that will be his achilles, but he's so good offensively that Few et al are willing to take the risk. And I'm no expert so I'll go with that.

thespywhozaggedme
01-22-2019, 03:04 PM
Figured I'd put this here where it would get seen a bit before being moved.

Only chance to see Brock in person, and I came away impressed. I've seen most of (counted 15) the regional recruits in person at least once in their hs careers, and I was pretty impressed, at least on the offensive end of the floor. Defense, well, I'll defer to Raise's comments.

Kentlake is a middling SPSL team, but imo they do play in the second best league in the state after the metro, a bit ahead of the GSL and the Vancouver area league. Had a couple of listed 6'4 kids as their biggest starters; fair athleticism, but basically a run of the mill 4a team. Game was even through a quarter and a half, then Kittitas went on a run the last 3 or 4 min to get a dbl digit lead at halftime.

Kittitas didn't list a starter over 6'1, but they were probably a bit more honest on their heights. Ravet was only an inch or 2 shorter than the kids Kent listed at 6'4, and he played inside on D. Maybe a questionable on-ball defender at this point for the high major level, as others have said. But the 13 rebounds playing pg says he positions and anticipates well, and competes hard on the glass for a team that needs him to do that. IMO that alone made any Jesse Wade comps moot; no way Wade guards those guys or gets more than a half dozen boards in that game.

Best handles I've seen in a GU guard recruit; seems far faster w/ the ball than without it; really shifty and elusive. Tremendous vision; threads the needle like Perk to an open teammate underneath, and will hit a streaking teammate w/ a three quarter court pass over retreating defenders in stride. REborn's comments on his passing are spot on imo. I thought he threw a half dozen passes worthy of Magic; a bit of hyperbole in that statement, but not much. Of course, w/ the caveat that he's doing it v modest hs talent, and there's no way to tell how that will translate to D1. But could easily have had dbl digit assists in this game.

And as Raise has said, that stepback 3 is lethal and unguardable; as good as the one Jeremiah Dominguez used v the Zags, quick and on balance. I can't see Few telling him not to use it; imo it is better already than Norvell's stepback move, which I don't like and a shot Norvell seems to miss a lot.

Kittitas was one of the better coached hs teams I've seen; reminded me a bit of G Prep in that regard. Looked like it was gonna be a fairly even game for the first 12 minutes, and then K just started blitzing them. A lot of that was due to Ravet finding open guys and moving the ball quickly, even if it didn't always lead to him getting an assist.

Personally, I think he's better than Raivio when I saw Raivio in hs, Far, far better than Melson offensively, though obviously not on defense. I'd take him overall v Melson out of hs. Not as good overall as Bell, who was a huge scorer in hs. But better both as a 1 on 1 scorer, and as a passer. Best passing recruit I've seen, only one who compares is Perk as a passer.

Defense could be the thing that keeps him from getting early minutes, I don't have the expertise to say. I do agree w/ the post that Stepp is his ceiling, if you consider Stepp the equal of Dickau. But I saw Dickau in person about a dozen times his fr year at UW, when Bender said defense was what kept him off the floor most of the year. (Big mistake on Bender's part, which he corrected the last third of the season and got to the sweet 16 largely as a result).

Thanks for that review, really appreciate it. By the way peeps, if you're not checking out the whelping box, you're missing some good threads.

sittingon50
01-22-2019, 03:33 PM
Withers: Scouting Brock Ravet

seacatfan
01-22-2019, 03:54 PM
That jumped out at me in the paper this morning. Usually a 2A school can't hang against a 4A school, let alone put a whuppin' on the bigger school.

Ravet is closing in on the state career scoring record. Current holder is Lance Den Boer, I vaguely remember that name, I think he was a contemporary of Pendergraft. From Sunnyside.

YukonJack
01-22-2019, 03:57 PM
Plus he may be a 4 year guy because.....?

doctorzag
01-22-2019, 04:17 PM
Ravet is listed 6'1" 174....not comparing play but size...Jesse Wade was 6'1" 175..

I watch Mac McClung 6'2" 185 play for Georgetown and he has huge vertical. Starts as a frosh put up 38 in a game.

I do know Morrison is high on Ravet from summer scrimmages. I sure hope Ravet is working on his vertical

McClung Shoots 28% from 3 and 41% overall while averaging a whopping 1.7 assists per game in 25mpg. I`m glad your impressed by his 38 point game but these numbers would not cut it at Gonzaga. Georgetown is garbage and have no choice but to play McClung due to their lack of guard depth.

BobZag
01-22-2019, 04:38 PM
I'm sorry, who is Raise?

Mantua
01-22-2019, 05:01 PM
Thanks Maynard G!

What a fun read for Zag Fans.

jazzdelmar
01-22-2019, 05:38 PM
All conversations about Ravet have plenty of caveats. The above are no exception. Still from Missouri.

thespywhozaggedme
01-22-2019, 05:47 PM
All conversations about Ravet have plenty of caveats. The above are no exception. Still from Missouri.

What is your doubt based on?

tinfoilzag
01-22-2019, 06:13 PM
And as Raise has said, that stepback 3 is lethal and unguardable; as good as the one Jeremiah Dominguez used v the Zags, quick and on balance. I can't see Few telling him not to use it; imo it is better already than Norvell's stepback move, which I don't like and a shot Norvell seems to miss a lot. But if Few lets NOrvell use it, I can't see him telling Ravet not to until he misses it a bunch. It's integral, imo, in setting up his drives and dishes. On this level he's pretty good at driving to the basket, but no way to tell how that will translate until seeing him do it with some 6'10 guys in the middle.

Has any player under Few had the greenlight to shoot the usually verboten stepback as a true freshman?

jazzdelmar
01-22-2019, 06:24 PM
More caveats than Ravet.

What is your doubt based on?

willandi
01-22-2019, 06:38 PM
I'm sorry, who is Raise?

Raise The Zag.

thespywhozaggedme
01-22-2019, 07:43 PM
More caveats than Ravet.

I'm not following. He said he still have "doubts". What are they specifically?

WallaWallaZag
01-22-2019, 08:21 PM
I'm not following. He said he still have "doubts". What are they specifically?

the showme state...can he do what he's doing at a zag level...

ZagNative
01-22-2019, 09:57 PM
From Twitter:

WASupreme
‏ @WASupreme

@Brock3ravet with 40 points, 11 assists & 7 boards in Kittitas’s big win tonight!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dxkxg76WwAArEW5.jpg

Reborn
01-23-2019, 07:38 AM
I remember seeing a very good 6' 5" inch player try to guard Ravet. I'm telling you that this 6' 5" player could play D, and he was no match at all for Ravet who scored 30. As I've said before, what impressed me the most about Brock is his passing and ball handling. I believe he will start at GU as a freshman. One thing that hasn't been said, or not much anyway, is how intelligent he is. His dad is a coach and has transferred his knowledge of the game to Brock. I would put intelligence right at the top of his game.

Thanks for all the really good posts in this thread. I've really enjoyed reading them.

Go Zags!!!

LongIslandZagFan
01-23-2019, 09:00 AM
Disappointing that Brock is already being put in Jazz's dustbin before even putting on a uniform. Jeez. Can we not just wait to see what he CAN do before we start assuming its a product of his competition? You do get that he has played AAU with a top tier team and more than held his own... right?

MDABE80
01-23-2019, 11:33 AM
Brock 's done well at every level. What's key for me is that he's continued to work his rear end off to get better. I really don't care if he's 6 ft 1 in. What matters is that he is getting better in all categories and he's producing. I'm thinking Few didn't sign him for nothing. Probably many of us wish we had Brock's determination. Probably will shoot the lights out for us.

LongIslandZagFan
01-23-2019, 11:41 AM
Brock 's well at every level. What's key for me is that he's continued to work his rear end off to get better. I really don't care if he's 6 ft 1 in. What matters is that he is getting better in all categories and he's producing. I'm thinking Few didn't sign him for nothing. Probably many of us wish we had Brock's determination. Probably will shoot the lights out for us.

Know it is rare... but have to agree with you on this Abe.

maynard g krebs
01-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Withers' report nailed it; more complete w/ better detail than mine, and spot on imo. Of course, you'd expect that from a pro.

One thing I left out, mentioned by Bud, is the first qtr turnovers. He threw a couple of 3/4 court passes over the top that were picked. As Bud mentioned, and I thought at the time, this was due to the fact that he's been getting away w/ those passes v class B players. After those two, he threw over the top a couple more times w/ success; you could see he made the adjustment. As did his team; w/ the game about tied in the low/mid 20's, Kittitas went on about a 40-10 run to go up 30.

Another thing in Bud's story was the athleticism issue; he definitely has to do work there for the high major level on the defensive end. But I saw all 4 Mead games at the state tourney Adam's sr year, (went the first day to check him out; it's the only time I've gone down to Tacoma all 4 days) and said then he belonged in the McDonalds game; he was imo a shade better than MCDAA/ future 1st rounder Aaron Brooks of Franklin/UO in that tourney. And I saw all of Dickau's fr/soph home games at UW; bought a season ticket because of DD.

Watching Ravet on offense, I got the same feeling of excitement I got the first time I saw those two guys play. Doesn't always pan out that way, but I'm saying there is a chance. And if he can work on his fast twitch (a legit, but imo the only, area of any concern) just enough to not be a total liability on the defensive end, I'll go out on the limb w/ Reborn and say he'll start at pg next year if there isn't a high level grad trans in the wings.

bartruff1
01-23-2019, 12:49 PM
If he can be compared to Dan and Kevin and Derek and start as a freshman, I will be amazed.....and overjoyed...and surprised...

I have not seen him play and I don't follow recruiting or high school basketball...

I do remember all the hype about Wade and...... a cat that sits on a hot stove..... will not sit on a cold stove...

EEzag
01-23-2019, 01:16 PM
If he can be compared to Dan and Kevin and Derek and start as a freshman, I will be amazed.....and overjoyed...and surprised...

I have not seen him play and I don't follow recruiting or high school basketball...

I do remember all the hype about Wade and...... a cat that sits on a hot stove..... will not sit on a cold stove...

Iíve seen him three times now, two times last year and once this year.

Man his shot is pure. Itís as automatic as Ravio and can get it off more often. His passing is upper level and he has a killer floater. He has a high basketball IQ and will get that step back off. I would like to see more pick and pop from his team but not his fault. Really hard to gauge his defense at the 2b level and none of the opponents Iíve seen were anything special.

He reminds me more of Stepp (coach type demeanor) than DDD, although I never saw either of those 2 in HS. Iím excited to see this kid at the D1 level.

Zagceo
01-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Foster and Ayayi are both 6'5" and quick....Maynard do you think Ravet could get his step back off against them? I think Ayayi is same age as Ravet.

Good handle and passer more important than scoring with next years bigs imo

thanks for the report maynard

jazzdelmar
01-23-2019, 02:03 PM
You said much same about Jesse Wade. He’s a 3 star, 150th on Rivals.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/brock-ravet-222019

Brock 's done well at every level. What's key for me is that he's continued to work his rear end off to get better. I really don't care if he's 6 ft 1 in. What matters is that he is getting better in all categories and he's producing. I'm thinking Few didn't sign him for nothing. Probably many of us wish we had Brock's determination. Probably will shoot the lights out for us.

doctorzag
01-23-2019, 02:13 PM
Foster and Ayayi are both 6'5" and quick....Maynard do you think Ravet could get his step back off against them? I think Ayayi is same age as Ravet.

Good handle and passer more important than scoring with next years bigs imo

thanks for the report maynard

If you think Ayayi is 6-5 you might want to have your eyes tested. Ravet is already better than Ayayi and will be ahead of Ayayi on the depth chart next year. Ayayi has shown nothing this year.

Mr Vulture
01-23-2019, 03:29 PM

So, since Jesse Wade was a similar sized player from relatively less competitive league in HS, they are the same player? I can watch video and see that Ravet is a better athlete in general and a better player. I also wonder how much a 2yr layoff and shoulder injury affected Jesse in his lone season at GU. I know you are negative in general, just getting a feel for what Jesse Wade has to do with Brock Ravet?

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2019, 03:48 PM

You're literally comparing the two simply because they're similar height and white pg's. C'mon man.

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2019, 03:50 PM
If you think Ayayi is 6-5 you might want to have your eyes tested. Ravet is already better than Ayayi and will be ahead of Ayayi on the depth chart next year. Ayayi has shown nothing this year.

Plus Ayayi isn't a pg; at all. For his junior French team they played him exclusively at sg and sf all summer. He is almost 6'5 though.

Zagceo
01-23-2019, 04:02 PM
Plus Ayayi isn't a pg; at all. For his junior French team they played him exclusively at sg and sf all summer. He is almost 6'5 though.

my point was about defense only.

MDABE80
01-23-2019, 04:09 PM

true enough but I underestimated how 2 years on mission would effect his game. Who knew!!

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2019, 05:06 PM
my point was about defense only.

Oh, ok. My bad

Zagceo
01-24-2019, 06:07 AM

what games have you seen Ravet play?

caldwellzag
01-24-2019, 06:20 AM
I will say this about Brock, he has a lot of offensive skill and talent, but the size is a concern and the defensive is a question mark. I doubt Brock starts as a freshman, I hope I am wrong, but all indications are GU is pushing to land Harvey to play the point next year and I am hearing that very easily could happen. Why would the staff be pushing so hard for a starting PG if they see Brock as a day 1 starting PG?

Zagceo
01-24-2019, 06:28 AM
I will say this about Brock, he has a lot of offensive skill and talent, but the size is a concern and the defensive is a question mark. I doubt Brock starts as a freshman, I hope I am wrong, but all indications are GU is pushing to land Harvey to play the point next year and I am hearing that very easily could happen. Why would the staff be pushing so hard for a starting PG if they see Brock as a day 1 starting PG?

Harvey would be a huge get. Isn’t Zach 2020 prospect?

webspinnre
01-24-2019, 06:58 AM
Harvey would be a huge get. Isn’t Zach 2020 prospect?

There's been talk of him reclassifying to 2019.

Zagceo
01-24-2019, 07:25 AM
There's been talk of him reclassifying to 2019.

thanks. that would be nice

ZagNative
01-25-2019, 09:57 PM
From twitter:

Luke Olson
‏ @lukeolsonb
36m36 minutes ago

Final: Kittitas 92, Nixyaawii 53. Brock Ravet with a 36-point performance, and is now 53 points away from the state scoring record. Justin Hudson added 19, Bailey Gibson 14, Caleb Harris 11. Kittitas improves to 18-1. #wabkbscores

Mantua
01-27-2019, 10:41 AM
From twitter:

He’ll surely break that record. I’ve been disappointed watching high school scoring records set by throwing the ball into a post player over and over. Brock’s record will be a real achievement.

bartruff1
01-27-2019, 11:54 AM
It won't last very long..... the sophomore point guard at Cashmere...…. Landeck is averaging about 35 …..in a much better league ...

thespywhozaggedme
01-27-2019, 12:20 PM
It won't last very long..... the sophomore point guard at Cashmere...…. Landeck is averaging about 35 …..in a much better league ...

Do we have eyes on him?

bartruff1
01-27-2019, 01:04 PM
Do we have eyes on him?

I would think so...oddly enough he played with Brock at Kittitas as a freshman and averaged around 12 ppg…

He is playing in the same league that Joe Harris played in....

Zagceo
01-27-2019, 02:16 PM
Do we have eyes on him?

watch last years Kittitas championship game and you'll see Landeck

bdmiller7
01-27-2019, 02:29 PM

I think Ravet averaged like 31 as a frosh to Landeck's 12, so he's got some ground to make up.

Mantua
01-28-2019, 02:36 PM
I think Ravet averaged like 31 as a frosh to Landeck's 12, so he's got some ground to make up.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/cashmere-bulldogs-(cashmere,wa)/basketball/schedule.htm

#4 Mason Landeck Sophomore Guard 6’ (MaxPreps) or 6’ 1 (Hudl) 150 lbs

Cashmere has a young team. They have 5 losses so far this season.

It’s hard to set records if your team doesn’t play after the regular season ends.

bartruff1
01-28-2019, 08:08 PM
Poor kid he just can't get any respect...he isn't even the best player at Cashmere...… Hailey Van Lith is the headliner...

ZagNative
01-29-2019, 08:52 PM
From Twitter:

WASupreme
‏ @WASupreme
8m8 minutes ago

@Brock3ravet with 37 points, 10 rebounds & 12 assists for #1 Kittitas as they clinch the league championship tonight!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyIvGmnU8AAe6Eg.jpg

ZagNative
01-29-2019, 10:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=eELwFso10ms

ZagNative
02-01-2019, 11:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_ncri-TsPs

thespywhozaggedme
02-01-2019, 12:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_ncri-TsPs

Cool story. Thanks for posting it.

Zagdawg
02-01-2019, 02:10 PM
Brock breaks scoring record.

https://twitter.com/lukeolsonb/status/1091470092473229312

thespywhozaggedme
02-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Brock breaks scoring record.

https://twitter.com/lukeolsonb/status/1091470092473229312

That was a really hard shot to break the record on. Looked like a Snax up and under move. Congrats Brock

Zaglaw
02-01-2019, 05:11 PM
Congratulations, Brock! Anyone notice the scoreboard in the background after his shot? 55-8. Impressive.

bartruff1
02-01-2019, 05:28 PM
http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/cashmere-bulldogs-(cashmere,wa)/basketball/schedule.htm

#4 Mason Landeck Sophomore Guard 6’ (MaxPreps) or 6’ 1 (Hudl) 150 lbs

Cashmere has a young team. They have 5 losses so far this season.

It’s hard to set records if your team doesn’t play after the regular season ends.

They won the league championship and will begin tournament play ...

BurgessEraZag
02-02-2019, 10:23 AM
Can "shorter" guards make it in D1.
Interesting discussion on TSSF about whether Ravet's height has anything to do with his future success. Mike Sequim is pretty strong in his opinion it is "ignorant" to judge a player's height against his potential success. See John Stockton. Of course the high school vs. D1 issue comes up too. But Auburn has a PG Harper I think who is dynamite and his last second lay-in rimmed out to almost beat Kentucky. Then the guard from Purdue is a "little" guy who also dynamite. So I would like to see some video or Paul Pennington at GU who is a walk on from Idaho school (I think someone said 5-10 or so) but was all world in highschool and may have won a state title or two. I'm not unhappy with our guards or recruits but still would like to see Pennington's skills. Anyone watch him in practice at GU?

thespywhozaggedme
02-02-2019, 12:54 PM
Can "shorter" guards make it in D1.
Interesting discussion on TSSF about whether Ravet's height has anything to do with his future success. Mike Sequim is pretty strong in his opinion it is "ignorant" to judge a player's height against his potential success. See John Stockton. Of course the high school vs. D1 issue comes up too. But Auburn has a PG Harper I think who is dynamite and his last second lay-in rimmed out to almost beat Kentucky. Then the guard from Purdue is a "little" guy who also dynamite. So I would like to see some video or Paul Pennington at GU who is a walk on from Idaho school (I think someone said 5-10 or so) but was all world in highschool and may have won a state title or two. I'm not unhappy with our guards or recruits but still would like to see Pennington's skills. Anyone watch him in practice at GU?

Uh....UDub had to back to back diminutive point guards that were about 5'9 that had very successful careers in the NBA

bdmiller7
02-02-2019, 01:03 PM
Uh....UDub had to back to back diminutive point guards that were about 5'9 that had very successful careers in the NBA

I've looked this up in the past, but in the last 15 years or so there's just a few national champs who had starting point guards over 6'1". Most are 6' or 6'1".

thespywhozaggedme
02-02-2019, 02:29 PM
I've looked this up in the past, but in the last 15 years or so there's just a few national champs who had starting point guards over 6'1". Most are 6' or 6'1".

I didn't see anything about "national champion". I thought we were just talking about productive point guards under 6 feet tall. And are we talking about listed height or actual height? Because the point guard for puke in real life is maybe 6 feet tall.

Mantua
02-03-2019, 12:05 AM

He was built like a tank.

bdmiller7
02-03-2019, 05:17 AM
I didn't see anything about "national champion". I thought we were just talking about productive point guards under 6 feet tall. And are we talking about listed height or actual height? Because the point guard for puke in real life is maybe 6 feet tall.

We weren't talking about national champs, but we were talking about 6'1" pgs. I was just bringing up a group who not only were productive, but also reached the ultimate in team success. Brock's height won't limit him or Gonzaga from reaching their ultimate goals. Now perhaps 5'9" guys on mediocre teams is a better example for some.

thespywhozaggedme
02-03-2019, 05:18 AM
He was built like a tank.

Nate is but IT isn't

EEzag
02-04-2019, 12:24 PM
Nate is but IT isn't

Man Nate was a heck of an athlete. Could some of you stat-heads or metric-minds put together a list of top 10 defense efficiency teams who had a PG 6' or less?

bdmiller7
02-04-2019, 12:42 PM
Man Nate was a heck of an athlete. Could some of you stat-heads or metric-minds put together a list of top 10 defense efficiency teams who had a PG 6' or less?

No. 1 on KenPom now is Michigan with 6' Zavier Simpson at point. He's also on the Naismith DPOY watchlist.

thespywhozaggedme
02-04-2019, 01:19 PM
No. 1 on KenPom now is Michigan with 6' Zavier Simpson at point. He's also on the Naismith DPOY watchlist.

Isn't Jordan Poole their pg and X their sg?

bdmiller7
02-04-2019, 03:54 PM
Isn't Jordan Poole their pg and X their sg?

Simpson averages 6 apg, Poole averages 2 apg. My guess is Zavier's the pg. Plus if you've watched any of their games shooting is about the last thing you want Zavier doing.

ZagNative
02-14-2019, 07:16 AM
Kittitas wins quarter final victory over White Swan https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sports/yotes-knock-off-the-rust-cougars/article_ecca2698-cd74-51ae-b626-7a35ab73f260.html

KITTITAS — In a word: Finally. After 11 days off between games due to Mother Nature’s wrath, Kittitas took to the hardwood and dominated much of the district quarterfinal game, taking an 80-41 victory over White Swan on Wednesday afternoon in Kittitas.

Aside from an early 2-2 tie, top-ranked Kittitas easily handled much of the contest against the Cougars. While the game was never in doubt, Kittitas certainly struggled a bit.

The win propels the Coyotes into the district semifinals against Brewster on Friday night in Chelan.

Kittitas methodically extended its 43-18 halftime lead further as the third period progressed, led by the scoring of Arreola, Harris and Ravet. Arreola and Harris led all scorers with 23 points. Ravet finished with 20.

ZagNative
02-15-2019, 09:05 PM
From Twitter:

Luke Olson
‏ @lukeolsonb
10m10 minutes ago

Final: Kittitas 67, Brewster 55. Kittitas moves on to the District Championship vs. Lake Roosevelt. Brock Ravet with a sterling 33 points, going 13/13 from the free throw line. Bailey Gibson added 12 points

BobZag
02-16-2019, 08:38 AM
From Twitter:

It'll be nice to have a Raivio-like dead-eye FT shooter.

ZagNative
02-16-2019, 07:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzkfFMKUUAAvn5U.jpg

Radbooks
02-20-2019, 12:00 PM
The Seattle Times has a great article on Brock:

Big-time talent, small town: Kittitas’ Brock Ravet looking for one more title before going to Gonzaga (https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/high-school/big-time-talent-small-town-kittitas-brock-ravet-looking-for-one-more-title-before-going-to-gonzaga/)

Zagceo
02-20-2019, 01:02 PM
The Seattle Times has a great article on Brock:

Big-time talent, small town: Kittitasí Brock Ravet looking for one more title before going to Gonzaga (https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/high-school/big-time-talent-small-town-kittitas-brock-ravet-looking-for-one-more-title-before-going-to-gonzaga/)

good article thanks

wonder how he feels about the potential of 3 guards coming in behind him. at least he'll have a year head start

jazzdelmar
02-20-2019, 02:13 PM
good article thanks

wonder how he feels about the potential of 3 guards coming in behind him. at least he'll have a year head start

Like Satchel Paige?

ZagzKrak
02-20-2019, 04:16 PM
good article thanks

It will interesting to see the PG battle play out next year...the 3 we know of (Brock, Greg, Joel) with maybe adding a 4th person to the mix (Grad Transfer) or does ZN get a shot at it......be fun to see what happens that's for sure.

thespywhozaggedme
02-20-2019, 05:34 PM
It will interesting to see the PG battle play out next year...the 3 we know of (Brock, Greg, Joel) with maybe adding a 4th person to the mix (Grad Transfer) or does ZN get a shot at it......be fun to see what happens that's for sure.

Joel’s an sg all the way

ZagzKrak
02-20-2019, 06:46 PM
That may be true but whoever has the best handles and can run the offense is gonna get the gig next year.

thespywhozaggedme
02-20-2019, 07:01 PM
That may be true but whoever has the best handles and can run the offense is gonna get the gig next year.

Not on the roster yet is my guess

ZagzKrak
02-20-2019, 07:45 PM
Yes mentioned a possible Grad Transfer earlier.....will be interesting and hopefully fun to see how it plays out.

ZagNative
02-23-2019, 05:39 PM
Kittitas leading Lake Roosevelt at the half 36-26, Brock with 20 points.

Box Score (https://scorebooklive.com/basketball/games/93175-kittitas-vs-lake-roosevelt/boxscore)

ZagNative
02-23-2019, 06:26 PM
Kittitas wins it 76-45, Brock with 36 points.

Box Score (https://scorebooklive.com/basketball/games/93175-kittitas-vs-lake-roosevelt/boxscore)

sittingon50
02-24-2019, 12:07 AM
Puts him over 3,000 points for his career, correct?

:clap:

cggonzaga
02-24-2019, 01:03 AM
Puts him over 3,000 points for his career, correct?

:clap:

Yes.

Mantua
02-24-2019, 01:52 PM
Link to WIAA 2B Boy’s Bracket

http://wiaa.com/ardisplay.aspx?ID=1809

#1 Kittitas will next play in the State Quarterfinals at 10:30 am on Thursday, February 28th and might play St. George’s in Semifinals on Friday. Kittitas should win out to be 2B Champions again.

ZagNative
02-25-2019, 11:08 AM
Nice story in the S-R about Brock: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/feb/24/not-bad-for-a-kid-from-kittitas-a-full-ride-basket/

I suspect his game in the State B will be televised in Spokane on SWX #112.

sittingon50
02-25-2019, 12:41 PM
Good Luck to Coach Ravet & team in the State B's.

Zagceo
02-25-2019, 01:36 PM
anybody know the Senior class size of Kittitas? 50-100? just curious couldn't find with quick google search.

i found the high school includes grades 6 thru 12 and totals 374

gotta be a record for smallest school to send a player to GU

Foster came from Bonney Lake but that was bigger

Mantua
02-25-2019, 03:37 PM
Nice story in the S-R about Brock: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/feb/24/not-bad-for-a-kid-from-kittitas-a-full-ride-basket/

I suspect his game in the State B will be televised in Spokaane on SWX #112.

You just have to guess at most of the starting times on SWX and on ROOT during the tournaments. The games run early and late, depending on whatever happens. It looks like all of Ravet’s game could possibly be seen, but you can’t rely on coverage until the final. SWX likes to cover the girl’s games and give as many schools as possible some attention.

The 2B Boy’s Final is scheduled on SWX, Saturday, March 1st at 9:00 pm.

The 4A Boy’s Final games is televised on Saturday, March 1st at 9:00 pm on ROOT. You can’t count on exact times for the 3A and 4A Finals either.

I need to dig a little deeper to find out if we get to see any 2A games. I doubt whether we will get to see a Cashmere game since their team is so young.

Hoopaholic
02-25-2019, 05:47 PM
anybody know the Senior class size of Kittitas? 50-100? just curious couldn't find with quick google search.

45 last year about same this year

Zagceo
02-25-2019, 06:24 PM
45 last year about same this year

thanks

sittingon50
02-25-2019, 08:33 PM

Ryan & Colin Floyd were from Harrington. IIRC about 20 in graduating class.

I know there is someone out there who knows better than I on that.

ZagNative
02-27-2019, 12:33 PM
Here's a nice video about Brock from SWX: "End of an Era for Kittitas Basketball"

https://www.swxrightnow.com/video/2019/feb/26/watch-end-era-kittitas-basketball/

former1dog
02-27-2019, 03:39 PM
Thanks ZN. That was a nice video.

rennis
02-27-2019, 06:00 PM
If I'm reading this right, the WIAA pits #1 Kittitas and #2 Toledo against each other tomorrow? WTF?

rennis
02-27-2019, 06:03 PM
Ryan & Colin Floyd were from Harrington. IIRC about 20 in graduating class.

I know there is someone out there who knows better than I on that.

Ryan was a walk-on though. For a kid earning a scholarship straight outta HS Brock has to be from the smallest school. Followed by Pendo and Gebbers from Brewster.

Radbooks
02-27-2019, 07:35 PM
If I'm reading this right, the WIAA pits #1 Kittitas and #2 Toledo against each other tomorrow? WTF?

It's because the #2 seed lost in the prior round and were sent to the loser out bracket.

ZagNative
02-27-2019, 08:25 PM
Looks like Kittitas' game will be broadcast at 10:30 AM tomorrow on SWX #112. I've got my DVR set to record the game.

sittingon50
02-27-2019, 08:59 PM
Ryan was a walk-on though. For a kid earning a scholarship straight outta HS Brock has to be from the smallest school. Followed by Pendo and Gebbers from Brewster.

I believe you are correct rennis, but I didn't read the question as being framed that way. No matter.

And pretty sure Gebbers was a walk on as well.

webspinnre
02-28-2019, 07:17 AM

Was Colin also a walk-on? I thought I remembered him being on scholarship.

former1dog
02-28-2019, 07:17 AM
Something tells me the doubters are going to be wrong about Ravet. I think they are probably correct that he will have some troubles on defense, but maybe not as severe as feared. I'm going to predict he starts for a successfull Gonzaga team in 19-20!!

Not only that, I'm going to predict that he will convert most doubters to supporters by the end of the season and there will be some controversy about how minutes are distributed for the guard positions during the 20-21 season. Few as usual will simply play 2 PG's!!:)

A friend of mine is going to watch Ravet's game this evening and I told him I expected a full report. I'll get back to you with that when I can.

23dpg
02-28-2019, 07:53 AM
Hopefully we can get updates. This might be their toughest game.

bartruff1
02-28-2019, 08:30 AM
Something tells me the doubters are going to be wrong about Ravet. I think they are probably correct that he will have some troubles on defense, but maybe not as severe as feared. I'm going to predict he starts for a successfull Gonzaga team in 19-20!!

Not only that, I'm going to predict that he will convert most doubters to supporters by the end of the season and there will be some controversy about how minutes are distributed for the guard positions during the 20-21 season. Few as usual will simply play 2 PG's!!:)

A friend of mine is going to watch Ravet's game this evening and I told him I expected a full report. I'll get back to you with that when I can.

Well the coaches have great confidence in him....my only concern is the level of competition he has played against.... really...you and I and your boys could beat some of those teams....

HenneZag
02-28-2019, 08:34 AM
Well the coaches have great confidence in him....my only concern is the level of competition he has played against.... really...you and I and your boys could beat some of those teams....

I have the same concerns about competition. With that said, he played on the AAU circuit against tough competition and excelled.

former1dog
02-28-2019, 08:34 AM
really...you and I and your boys could beat some of those teams....

Well, I am a pretty nifty passer and Brady can knock down the open jumper :D

rennis
02-28-2019, 11:23 AM
I believe you are correct rennis, but I didn't read the question as being framed that way. No matter.

And pretty sure Gebbers was a walk on as well.

You might be right about that. I think he was on a baseball scholarship and walked on to the bball squad

sittingon50
02-28-2019, 11:47 AM
You might be right about that. I think he was on a baseball scholarship and walked on to the bball squad

I believe you are correct. I had forgotten about that. Listed on the GU roster in the year 2000 only; that's a long look back for this old fart.

ZagNative
03-01-2019, 10:17 PM
Kittitas plays the title game against St. George's on Saturday night at 9:00 PM, televised on SWX. I've got my DVR set to record the game.

WallaWallaZag
03-01-2019, 10:34 PM
Kittitas plays the title game against St. George's on Saturday night at 9:00 PM, televised on SWX. I've got my DVR set to record the game.

should be a good game...i believe kittitas already lost to them this season...

Mantua
03-02-2019, 12:14 PM
should be a good game...i believe kittitas already lost to them this season...

I watched the Saint George’s semifinal against Life Christian. Life Christian has an outstanding sophomore, Omari Mualana, who seemed worn out toward the end of the game and still managed to make an incredible 3 pointer. I honestly thought SG was going to lose, but they executed well at the end of the 4th quarter.

23dpg
03-02-2019, 08:26 PM
Any update on his game?

Radbooks
03-02-2019, 08:34 PM
Any update on his game?

Tied 10 - 10 in the first. Here is a link to a scoreboard:

https://scorebooklive.com/basketball/games?state=WA

23dpg
03-02-2019, 08:39 PM
Tied 10 - 10 in the first. Here is a link to a scoreboard:

https://scorebooklive.com/basketball/games?state=WA