PDA

View Full Version : Seth Davis' Postcard From Gonzaga

Angelo Roncalli
11-05-2007, 09:01 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/seth_davis/11/05/gonzaga/

You see, John Stockton may have graduated from Gonzaga, but he never really went anywhere. The same is true for Gonzaga. In what is truly one of the most remarkable stories in sports, this little Jesuit school that is located in the middle of nowhere and plays in an off-the-beaten-path conference has become one of the most consistent powers in college hoopdom. Sure, every few years a small school catches fire, but normally the flame burns out. Gonzaga, however, has burned through players like Stockton, Dan Dickau, Richie Frahm, Matt Santangelo, Ronny Turiaf and Adam Morrison. Yet, every year it finds players to produce the next spark.

lawzag
11-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Great article!
Really captures the spirit of GU basketball, why the guys all came here & why coach few continues to stay!

hope that reporter continues to do articles on GU because he is one of the few that seems to "get it"!

:000tens:

lawzag
11-05-2007, 09:29 AM
I get your point Mee, however, personally, I prefer to have people think we are "in the middle of nowhere" -- we've had WAY too many people moving into the area in recent years! ;)

Don't mean to sound elitist, just don't want to become a "megalopolis" like the Sea-Tac corridor has. :(

El Voce
11-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks, Angelo. Great article!

jazzdelmar
11-05-2007, 09:35 AM
seth, pls dont pick the zags for the FF again...ur a jinx..........

ZagNative
11-05-2007, 09:41 AM
That was a nice article, indeed. I especially liked what he had to say about Micah.

I think Few and Davis must be pretty good friends. He wrote one of my favorite articles about Few and Gonzaga a couple of years ago: Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/seth_davis/11/11/gonzaga.diary/)

Davis did rank GU #20 on his recent AP top 25 ballot, for what that's worth.

Larryzag
11-05-2007, 09:59 AM
I think people need to realize that Spokane is not "in the middle of nowhere". It is in one of the most beautiful regions of the country. And even though it has a small-town feel to it, the city is far from small.

Sorry...taking offense. Had to vent.

I appreciate your feelings about Spokane but we really are in the middle of nowhere. That's what I like about it. It's a big enough city for me but I can live in the country close by without having to work three jobs.

Great article by Seth Davis. Thank you.

zag67
11-05-2007, 10:00 AM
I would also like to thank Angelo. This is a great article and he did a great job of trying to say a lot of what all of us have been saying through the year. Most of the kids that come to play at GU, are basketball junkies. Like what Matt said about going in at 3 in the morning to shoot. I just cannot wait for the fun to begin (2 more days) and I hope that the players are feeling the same.

lothar98zag
11-05-2007, 10:12 AM
I think people need to realize that Spokane is not "in the middle of nowhere". It is in one of the most beautiful regions of the country. And even though it has a small-town feel to it, the city is far from small.

Sorry...taking offense. Had to vent.
I know it may be a hard pill to swallow for some, but compared to the rest of the country, Spokane IS in the middle of nowhere. And really, there's nothing wrong with that.

http://www.brownlee.com/images/USmap.jpg

MDABE80
11-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Matt should sleep more.

Great article . 2 parts.....1st: Wonderful and warm overview of GU. Sorta sounded like a tiny, unheralded town ( not city) reminded me of a "Hoosiers" type approach. 2nd: Specifics kinda fizzled. It seemed Seth thinks we have this great team ( a deep and scary team) but he didn't know why he feels that way.

You might think that by now, one of these writers might be capable of less filler about Josh and just speak to the value of this great squad of young men. It's beginning to be a bit distracting and adds nothing anymore. But any publicity is good publicity. Josh has overcome some things. The present edition of GU Basketball has a chance to redeem itself. I just hope we would capture an Elite 8 again. We're overdue.

gamagin
11-05-2007, 10:18 AM
somewhere. Somewhere east of Seattle. Somewhere west of Coeur d'Alene and somewhere south of St. Aloysius grade school, somewhere north of Hondo's house and the Otis Hotel. And finally, somewhere west (okay, and south) of Jack & Dan's.

this is nowhere.

typically means a place that doesn't exist or a place that seems like it doesn't exist. It can refer to:

Nowhere, a place in Norfolk, England.
Nowhere, a 1985 novel by Thomas Berger.
Nowhere, a 1997 movie by Gregg Araki.
NoWhere, a European regional burned
Nowhere, Kansas, the setting of Courage the Cowardly Dog

"nowhere", an insert song by FictionJunction Yuuka for the anime Madlax.
Nowhere, an album by the band Ride, released in 1990.
"Nowhere", a song by Therapy? from their 1994 album Troublegum.
"Nowhere", a song by The Pillows from their 1998 album Little Busters.
"Nowhere", a song by the rapper Bubba Sparxxx from his 2003 album Deliverance.

MedZag
11-05-2007, 10:33 AM
I think to get to the bottom of why Spokane is in the middle of nowhere, we need to look at what makes up the word itself: "now" and "ere".

According to Mirriam Webster, the definition of each word is...
Now: at the present time or moment.

Ere: before the 12th century.

Obviously, the writers simply wish to point out that spokane exists in a time warp where the world still exists before 1100 AD, hearkening to our Jesuit tradition. I don't see how this is a bad thing.

rennis
11-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Compared to the cities/regions that most top 25 teams find themselves in, Spokane is in the middle of nowhere. I see nothing wrong with that description.

Really good article by Davis. He's a good writer. He has some insights here (especially the Ira Brown piece) that no other writer has put to paper. Good stuff.

TRhyno
11-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Seeing that I was the idiot that posted the exact article, I have to say good post Angelo......:(

lothar98zag
11-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Seeing that I was the idiot that posted the exact article, I have to say good post Angelo......:(
Don't worry about it. Almost all of us have done the same.

TexasZagFan
11-05-2007, 11:42 AM
I know it may be a hard pill to swallow for some, but compared to the rest of the country, Spokane IS in the middle of nowhere. And really, there's nothing wrong with that.

http://www.brownlee.com/images/USmap.jpg

If you think Spokane is in the middle of nowhere, guess again. Without a doubt, the middle of nowhere is El Paso, TX. It's as close to Houston as it is to Los Angeles (750 miles). And it's only 600 miles to Dallas.

I'll never forget a road trip to Dallas some 15 years ago. After driving for six hours, I saw a sign heralding a small town just west of Abilene as "The Heart of West Texas"!

Great place to live, though. With the exception of ocean beaches, you're no more than a 3 hour drive from anything and everything. As for a beach without water, there's none finer than White Sands National Monument. Even during the dead of summer, the sand stays cool to the feet.

CanadZag
11-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Great Article,

I agree with jazz, I hold my breath every selection show that Seth WON'T talk about us...and I will at least continue too until he stops working for SI.

Zagaholic
11-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I think to get to the bottom of why Spokane is in the middle of nowhere, we need to look at what makes up the word itself: "now" and "ere".

According to Mirriam Webster, the definition of each word is...

Ere: before the 12th century.

Obviously, the writers simply wish to point out that spokane exists in a time warp where the world still exists before 1100 AD, hearkening to our Jesuit tradition. I don't see how this is a bad thing.

Actually the word nowhere is comprised of the words "now" and "here."

Here: in or at this place.

Ergo, nowhere means "in or at this place at the present time or moment." Thus, wherever you are at this moment, that is "nowhere." :)

Also, that map posted by Lothar does not include Alaska or Hawaii, only the Lower 48. Since I live in Alaska, apparently I really do live nowhere in the US, according to that map. ;)

MedZag
11-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Actually the word nowhere is comprised of the words "now" and "here."

Well color me an idiot. Putting that $100,000 Gonzaga degree to good use.

MickMick
11-05-2007, 08:26 PM
The article is recommended reading to all Zag fans. Great article.

ZigZagSoCal
11-06-2007, 12:25 AM
The middle of nowhere is actually the center of the NCAA universe. Many have denied this phenomenon. They rationalized it by assigning top 25 numbers and wager on the March. But year after year, the centrifugal Zags continue to draw headlines along with talents, fans, editors and skeptical debris within it's force and be that as it may, I say that's not too bad.:D