PDA

View Full Version : Who's your #1 team in NCAA ball right now?

former1dog
11-05-2007, 08:41 AM
All the experts have UNC as the #1 team and who knows, they might be correct.

But, if I were putting money down right now to who is going to be #1 when its all said and done, I think Memphis would be a pretty good bet.

kitzbuel
11-05-2007, 08:49 AM
If Derrick Rose is Memphis' Carmelo Anthony, they are the ones to beat.

Rubbadub
11-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Memphis.

HOOTER
11-05-2007, 08:55 AM
The Zag's!:D

CDC84
11-05-2007, 08:56 AM
If Willie Kemp can provide some of the outside shooting that was lost with the departure of Jeremy Hunt, Memphis is my #1. It is to my understanding that with Derrick Rose running the show and Andre Allen as the backup PG, Calipari is going to be playing Kemp off the ball quite a bit. Kemp shot 39% from 3 ball land last year, but he is going to need to shoot it more than he did last year. If his game matures, Memphis is going to be hard to beat.

However, I don't think we are going to see how good the Tigers will eventually be in the early going. Even though I think Derrick Rose is going to have the largest impact of any freshman in college basketball this season, and even though his game is so mature for his age, he is still a freshman. It's going to take some time for him to adjust to the college game, get used to his teammates and get a feel for the areas on the court where they like to score.

But I have argued for 2 years now that Memphis has had a national championship level ability, but their lack of a real PG who's unselfish and who really, really understands how to run an offense and direct a team was their major weakness. That weakness no longer exists.

This poster also really, really likes Chris Douglas-Roberts as a player. You want to talk about a guy that is enormously underrated. He can't shoot it from deep to save his life, but he's like an acrobat with his mid range game. He has a great ability to get shots off in traffic when slashing towards the rim. He's also a guy who as a person is someone any coach would want on his team. He's a very unselfish player and should be an excellent leader for his team, even though he tends to lead by example as opposed to being really vocal.

ZagMan in Philly
11-05-2007, 09:02 AM
I like UCLA because they play Defense....and with Love roaming in the middle. Good combination for a championship team. I hope we will meet them again to avenge their lucky win against us. :D

gozagswoohoo
11-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Mine starts with a "G" and rhymes with "VonShagga".

pbriz
11-05-2007, 09:10 AM
I really like Indiana this year. Sampson may be a cheater but he's got quite a team.

JLGutrocks
11-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Memphis as of now.

CDC84
11-05-2007, 11:11 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3093583

UCLA has some injury issues right now. Not only is Roll out for awhile, but I keep hearing conflicting reports about Darren Collison's knee....everything from it being a mild sprain to it being more serious. Losing Roll is a bigger loss than some might think. I know Collison shot a great percentage last year, but Roll is probably UCLA's best pure shooter, and he is going to get a lot of looks from 3 land this season when Love is double teamed in the post.

jim77
11-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Memphis

Larryzag
11-05-2007, 12:07 PM
UCLA, their front court is great and their back court is......well great and their defense is great.

LongIslandZagFan
11-05-2007, 12:19 PM
MEMPHIS

lothar98zag
11-05-2007, 12:21 PM
MEMPHIS
:agreed:

ZagNative
11-05-2007, 12:38 PM
MEMPHIS

Me too!

ZagMan in Philly
11-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Memphis is currently down by 1 after 12 minutes to Tenn Martin..yikes for a potential #1 team!

ZagMan in Philly
11-05-2007, 03:21 PM
actually down by 5 after 9 minutes...go Martin?

azzagfan
11-05-2007, 04:58 PM
96-63 with 3 minutes left and playing without their primary inside monster (Dorsey). My vote is Memphis.

saintzag
11-05-2007, 05:42 PM
I don't like them, but UCLA will finish no1.

CDC84
11-05-2007, 07:41 PM
If you saw the Memphis game tonight, you got to see Rose do some things on the floor that were awfully special. And he's only going to get better.....

MickMick
11-05-2007, 08:15 PM
If not Gonzaga, then Tennessee. They return almost the same group that came very close to beating Ohio State. Now if it was the Vols vs Florida in last year's final (and it almost was), then they would be on everyone's radar this season to take the whole thing. Plus they smacked Memphis around pretty good.

Nevtelen
11-05-2007, 09:25 PM
If you saw the Memphis game tonight, you got to see Rose do some things on the floor that were awfully special. And he's only going to get better.....

I almost had to vomit for how much the announcers brown-nosed him all game, but Rose _was_ pretty much as spectacular as advertised. His athleticism is just crazy. He didn't have a lot of tough calls in terms of running the offense tonight, so tough to say there, but it's easy to see that he's gonna be _good_...

Still, I think I'd give it to UNC. I think Memphis' 3-pt shooting won't be consistently good and they'll run into an athletic team with a strong inside presence (maybe UCLA?) at some point in the Dance and won't be able to go to work effectively inside or make enough 3s to keep themselves in it.

Gonzdb8
11-05-2007, 10:09 PM
unc. i really wish deon thompson had ended up a zag.

zagster318
11-05-2007, 10:31 PM
All the experts have UNC as the #1 team and who knows, they might be correct.

But, if I were putting money down right now to who is going to be #1 when its all said and done, I think Memphis would be a pretty good bet.

Gotta go with UCLA. For the first time, Howland has a true low-post scorer in Love. Combine that with almost everyone from a final four team, and you're looking at 2008 National Champion.

bayzag09
11-06-2007, 03:34 AM
Louisville- Great coach, ability to play UNC early in the year if they do well in their tourney-to show what their made of, then play in arguably the toughest conference in basketball. that kind of battle tested team with a stud like sosa leading them could prove huge come tournament time

Rubbadub
11-06-2007, 05:09 AM
I almost had to vomit for how much the announcers brown-nosed him all game

That one announcer was terrible. I know alot of people around here use hyperbole when discussing announcers but that guy literally made me dig around inside the couch for the remote about 5 minutes so I could put it on mute.

BTW- Memphis looks like they have about as much athleticism as I'd expected, even with Dorsey out, but they looked very rusty. It seemed that whenever their opponents got in a decent half court set and ran a play (not very often) they were able to score inside.

ZagMania
11-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Rose's 2 blocks last night were amazing, and Memphis again looked very athletic like they always do.

However, I don't see them winning a championship if they still can't shoot free throws and consistently knock down open jumpers.