• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagdawg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Petrusev interview

Translation pasted here with link below to the orginal article.

We speak with Filip Petrusev about the start of Gonzaga in the NCAA

Pedro San Miguel12/03/2018FEATURED BASKET BASE CAROUSEL , JUNIOR GIANTS , YOUNG PROMISES , NCAA

"In a very level junior championship, and in a context in which a starring role by Filip Petrusev was not expected , the Serbian interior ended up being the great sensation of the tournament. I was not very physical, but I had a lot of technical ability. He threw three easily, dominated near the basket by height and fundamentals, but above all, it gave the feeling that he was not wrong when playing. Neither bad decisions nor bad shots, " says Gerard Solé (ACB) . His words towards the Balkan have double value, because, due to his experience, he knows how to identify the great projects.

The Junior Spanish Championship that Gerard talks about, is the one held in Guadalajara in 2016. With big names like Dino Radoncic, Nenad Dimitrijevic, Rodions Kurucs or Carlos Alocén , the eared boy of Baskonia earned his fame on the track based of great performances, and that allowed him to set course for the United States with the love of the grandstand in the travel backpack.

Petrusev soon realized that his abilities needed a plus , and for that the best option was to cross the pond. With a time at the prestigious Montverde Academy, Filip has ended up in Gonzaga , one of the most powerful universities in the NCAA and with a certain reputation among white and European interiors. From there, and after a great premiere of the season (8'6 points and 4'1 rebounds on average in the first 8 meetings) , he answers us by phone.

"Personally, I feel very good. They give me opportunities every match. You know that Tillie has been injured, so I have more minutes, I have to play more and try to help the team in everything they need. I feel very good, I think I made good matches and I helped the team to win, " says Filip about his first impressions of the campaign. The Serbian is playing the leading role with the Zags, especially with a very prominent final in the Maui Invitational, one of the most important events of the year in the NCAA.

In Maui, Gonzaga managed to surprise the almighty Duke, so it was more than a triumph. "Maui left us with a very good feeling for us. It was a very important tournament, our first goal so to speak. We started very well, we arrived in Maui without any missed meetings and we worked well for the event. We knew it was a tournament with very tough teams, like Illinois, Arizona ... They all had very good players, but we were all waiting for Duke in the final . Duke arrived as number 1 and we wanted to play against the team that everyone considered the best " , explains Filip in perfect Spanish, and he has not lost what he learned in Spain, he even seems to improve it day by day. Surprising.

"The keys to defeating Duke were: controlling the pace of the game, in attack looking for open shots, playing quietly, making them work in defense, running back to defend, stop their attack in transition and calm the game. We also knew that we had to stop his freshman fighters: RJ Barrett, Zion Williamson, Tre Jones and Cam Reddish . Between the 4 they put almost all the points of Duke, so, to brake to them was almost to gain the party. We did a good job, especially in the first part and when we started the second. In the end, we began to miss shots and they could run more, so it ended up being a more interesting match. We were tied, but we did not lose our heads. With experience and tranquility we were able to close the meeting "adds Petrusev, who returns to work with a cool head and aware of the path he has left to go before fulfilling his dream, wearing an NBA jersey. If everything goes well, you will have no problem getting it.

Finally, and thanks to the comrades Juan Domínguez and Bastian García, we leave you two very interesting profiles of Filip Petrusev.

Juan Domínguez (The Wing)

"A dominant player in lower categories in Europe and could dominate in the future. Perhaps he still lacks some physique to be able to compete at a high level, however, he is a player that is far above the level of opening game, spaces and especially of interior score with respect to other European players of his age. In MontVerde Academy it evolved a lot and last summer was key to the European championship won by Serbia. There, its superiority was noticed and it got that all the eyes were centered in the one of Gonzaga. In the not too distant future, we will see it dominating "

Bastian García (The Wing)

"The talent factory Serbia continues to perform at the highest level. Petrusev fell in love with everyone in the European U18 past after his training at the prestigious Montverde Academy and is now in Gonzaga where he has already shown to be one of the most interesting international projects of recent years. Coordination, fluidity of movements and offensive versatility give the Serbian a profile of enormous importance in the rotation of the Bulldogs from the first moment. Something atypical for a freshman in Gonzaga, but that nevertheless gives us a reliable idea of ​​the volume of player we speak. If it develops in defense with a more intimidating profile at the same level that produces impact in attack producing near and far from the hoop, we are talking about the next Serbian profile to land in the NBA "

• Zag365
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

Great find. Thanks for posting. Hysterically funny translation that makes a better read than if it was precise. "With experience and tranquility we were able to close the meeting" - priceless.

Comment

• Ekrub
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2009

Maybe lost in translation, though maybe not, but I found this party interesting:

With a time at the prestigious Montverde Academy, Filip has ended up in Gonzaga , one of the most universities in the NCAA and with a certain reputation among white and European interiors

I mean, we have pumped out a few white bigs... But is that our reputation overseas?

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I liked:

In Maui, Gonzaga managed to surprise the almighty Duke, so it was more than a triumph. . .
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
          Banned
          • Feb 2007

I'm in the living room reading this and I am cracking up trying so hard not to disturb my daughters who are trying to sleep. "the eared boy of Baskonia…" good thing the uneared Van Gogh kid from Antwerp wasn't playing.

Comment

• White lightning
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2017

Great read.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mantua
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
              I'm in the living room reading this and I am cracking up trying so hard not to disturb my daughters who are trying to sleep. "the eared boy of Baskonia…" good thing the uneared Van Gogh kid from Antwerp wasn't playing.
              Do you have any idea about what was meant? Did we have an uneared option?
              Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

Working...
              X