• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FuManShoes
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Defense concerns

Not trying to be Debbie Downer but the Zags are currently ranked #31 in defensive efficiency, their lowest ranking since 2012. Some of that is skewed by games against Duke and Creighton, missing Tillie and Crandell, and perhaps most of all, a run and gun offense that results in a lot of possessions. All that said, history shows teams with porous defenses don't often win titles. And to listen to the coaches and players, sounds like they know they have work to do closing out and not getting caught flat-footed. Hoping they can figure it out. Maybe the Zags can score 95 to outgun opponents but I do miss some of those defensive juggernaut performances of the '16 squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few
  • strikenowhere
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by FuManShoes View Post
    Not trying to be Debbie Downer but the Zags are currently ranked #31 in defensive efficiency, their lowest ranking since 2012. Some of that is skewed by games against Duke and Creighton, missing Tillie and Crandell, and perhaps most of all, a run and gun offense that results in a lot of possessions. All that said, history shows teams with porous defenses don't often win titles. And to listen to the coaches and players, sounds like they know they have work to do closing out and not getting caught flat-footed. Hoping they can figure it out. Maybe the Zags can score 95 to outgun opponents but I do miss some of those defensive juggernaut performances of the '16 squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah - I'm worried about the downturn in the defensive #s, but after a bit of thinking I do believe a lot of this has to do with the opponents played & players missing. Take for instance the Creighton game - the five starters averaged 34.2 minutes in the game. I know that these are 18-22 year old kids, but that still has to be draining physically to constantly have to run out to guard the shooter on the 3pt line, especially when it seems like the entire Blue Jay team was capable of shooting long distance. If Crandall & Tillie were playing, that average would reduce significantly and would give all the kids a longer breather and keep the legs fresher. Additionally, the game against Duke was against an excellent offensive team, so the Kenpom rating took a big hit there as well. Once conference play comes around I believe we'll see the defensive numbers improve, especially when Tillie & Crandall are back in the rotation.

Comment

• TheGonzagaFactor
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2011

I think the main reason is that the rotation is so thin. Perkins/Norvell can't really put in their full effort on defense because of the risk of foul trouble. Was evident even with Crandall in the lineup as he's not yet fully trusted, but this has been exacerbated in his absence. Also we have another awesome rim protector/rebounder that has been sitting on the bench with an injury.

#31 in defensive efficiency after playing two elite offensive teams without two of our best defenders? That's pretty good. Our 2005-06 team had comparable offensive efficiency with the 174th ranked defense. Zags need to get better on D to win it all, but the foundation is there.
      "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

• FlyZag
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
        I think the main reason is that the rotation is so thin. Perkins/Norvell can't really put in their full effort on defense because of the risk of foul trouble. Was evident even with Crandall in the lineup as he's not yet fully trusted, but this has been exacerbated in his absence. Also we have another awesome rim protector/rebounder that has been sitting on the bench with an injury.

#31 in defensive efficiency after playing two elite offensive teams without two of our best defenders? That's pretty good. Our 2005-06 team had comparable offensive efficiency with the 174th ranked defense. Zags need to get better on D to win it all, but the foundation is there.
        This

Injuries are creating foul pressure. We can't take risks on Defense and get cheap fouls.

Our Kenpom defensive numbers should improve as we get healthier and the competition gets easier in conference.

Comment

• Zag365
          Zag for Life
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by FlyZag View Post
          This

Injuries are creating foul pressure. We can't take risks on Defense and get cheap fouls.

Our Kenpom defensive numbers should improve as we get healthier and the competition gets easier in conference.
          Agree with this and TGF's comment. We've had to protect our starters from foul trouble in games with high level opponents (esp. given style of refs at neutral sites and on the road). To my eye, we look quicker overall than many of our past teams and are doing a great job on switches in our M2M defense and double-teaming/providing help down low. Fortunately, our offense is so good we can afford to "play smart" on D - bend, but not break.

Comment

• Goshzagit
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2007

This

The Final 4 will be an afterthought if we give up 14 3's in March.

Our problem has been perimeter ball movement and containing dribble penetration compared to year's past. We do a better job when Jeremy is in vs Kispert, and noticed Coach Few subbed these two for offense & defense at end of game.

Thankfully we have Clark to clean up the rim on most breakdowns, although he stayed with his man vs Creighton -- have to assume it was in the scouting report.

Norvell and Perkins are not lock down defenders by any stretch, and Kispert hustles/tough/heart but gets beat often. They both do a nice job tracking their opponent, fighting around/through screens, even making up with a block, poke, or slide, but one jab step juke and they are toast.

Must improve or zone will become more necessary. Although once Tillie returns, we'll have another shot blocking presence roaming and to help bail them out.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
              Banned
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Goshzagit View Post

Our problem has been perimeter ball movement and containing dribble penetration compared to year's past. We do a better job when Jeremy is in vs Kispert, and noticed Coach Few subbed these two for offense & defense at end of game.

Thankfully we have Clark to clean up the rim on most breakdowns, although he stayed with his man vs Creighton -- have to assume it was in the scouting report.

Norvell and Perkins are not lock down defenders by any stretch, and Kispert hustles/tough/heart but gets beat often. They both do a nice job tracking their opponent, fighting around/through screens, even making up with a block, poke, or slide, but one jab step juke and they are toast.

Must improve or zone will become more necessary. Although once Tillie returns, we'll have another shot blocking presence roaming and to help bail them out.
              Answer me this as honest as possible; who can outscore us? If Duke cannot without Tillie, no one can.

Comment

• White lightning
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2017

I think it's to early to get worried about rankings. Not enough games being played to be accurate. Some teams have played easier schedules which would sway the numbers. Having play Duke and Creighton #31 isn't bad.1/4 of our games against higher scoring teams. It's not like we are at the middle of the pack. Where would we be if Few didn't empty the benches with 6 to go in the games we are dominating or with all of the main guys healthy. We will climb as the season goes on. Enjoy the wins and don't panic over ranking!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

• tinfoilzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2009

Many factors are contributing to our defensive rating.

-Teams are going small against us. They know that they can't put in traditional big men to defend BC and Rui. They would rather go small to make our bigs switch and defend guards to get them away from the hoop and to get fouls. Creighton had the blue print: make Rui and BC get the ball away from the hoop, put it on the floor and take charges. Opposing teams pick the poison of letting our bigs shoot outside.
                  -Our style makes for a lot of possessions for both teams. We are efficient but shoot earlier in the shot clock than a group like Virginia. This makes sense with our good shooting percentage. More possessions makes team shooting average more prominent
                  -Perkins has to be on the floor. He can't be in foul trouble or the offense falls apart. If it's between contesting a shot or letting a guy score, Few wants Josh to let the player score. We can outscore most teams unless Josh is on the bench with foul trouble.
                  -As said above, our bench is thin. Starters are gassed by the end of the game which is detrimental to defense. Teams like W Virginia and Syracuse have 10 man rotations for this reason. We are really running a 6 1/2 man rotation right now

After our staring 5, we are using smoke and mirrors to hide our bench weakness. It will get better once Geno and Tillie are back.
                  The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• FlyZag
                    Bleeds GU Blue
                    • Nov 2007

I personally don't think there are that many teams that can shoot 14 3s against us. And the one that can (at home)... we beat. Shorthanded. by double digits. Creighton is ranked as the #2 best 3pt shooting team and the #1efg% team in the nation. Again... We beat them.. on their floor... by double digits... shorthanded.

We will be okay

Comment

• ZagzKrak
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Apr 2016

It's early in the year and we are only 7.9 away from the #1 defense.....our numbers will improve when we get to our cupcakes in a couple weeks where as the Power5 teams numbers will get worse as they play their tougher conf. foes.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2007

I personally don't think there are that many teams that can shoot 14 3s against us. And the one that can (at home)... we beat. Shorthanded. by double digits. Creighton is ranked as the #2 best 3pt shooting team and the #1efg% team in the nation. Again... We beat them.. on their floor... by double digits... shorthanded.

We will be okay
                        Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
                        Answer me this as honest as possible; who can outscore us? If Duke cannot without Tillie, no one can.

Have you seen Nevada play? They can shoot lights out and have bigs who can drive it as well. Averaging over 90 ppg.

North Carolina was shut down by the nation's best defensive team in Michigan, yet otherwise put tons of points on the board. They have legit size, NBA talent, and electric guards. Averaging 93 ppg.

Impressed with Auburn as well. Hung with Duke and their guards are good. Averaging around 90 ppg and can score in bunches.

Michigan defensively could present a problem.

We will see how the shoot out goes vs UNC in 2 weeks. They will be desperate for a signature win and at home.

Comment

• zagamatic
                          Zag for Life
                          • Aug 2009

I'll take our current numbers over having Stanford take us to overtime on our home court, just saying.

Comment

• VinnyZag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

FYI, the KenPom defensive efficiency stat is designed to be pace neutral and to adjust for strength of opponent. I'm not *nearly* smart enough to explain how, but that's all supposed to be baked in.

In any case, we can't really judge this team's defense while two of the best defenders are sidelined.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2007

Have you seen Nevada play? They can shoot lights out and have bigs who can drive it as well. Averaging over 90 ppg.

North Carolina was shut down by the nation's best defensive team in Michigan, yet otherwise put tons of points on the board. They have legit size, NBA talent, and electric guards. Averaging 93 ppg.

Impressed with Auburn as well. Hung with Duke and their guards are good. Averaging around 90 ppg and can score in bunches.

Michigan defensively could present a problem.

We will see how the shoot out goes vs UNC in 2 weeks. They will be desperate for a signature win and at home.
                              We have more offensive firepower than any of those teams and we don't even have Tillie back yet. I still don't think you realize just how good this year's team is.

Comment

Working...
                              X