Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

3 Zags with double-doubles?

When's the last time that happened?

“We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few
  • ProVeeZag
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2011

Shoes, I'm glad you brought this up, as I noticed this also. I'd be curious also to see if GU has ever had more than 3 players with 20 or more pts in a game. If not, perhaps this could be the year. Maybe during the Pargo years? Seems like there were some high-scoring games in that timeframe.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• krozman
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2008

I'm sure if you go to a double OT game or 2 you can find it, but this within regulation definitely is peculiar.
      Krozman
      GU student 1996-2000
      Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Why isn't Josh Perkins getting the Frank Mason III treatment by the press? During Mason's senior year at Kansas (2016-17), he was constantly raved about for his senior leadership, toughness etc. Granted, he scored more for Jayhawks then Perks does (since they needed him to do so; Zags not so much need for Perks to score high average), but Perkins' college career has been every bit as successful to date as Mason's.

Perkins gets no national media love. He deserves more.
        Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• TexasZagFan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

13 assists, 1 turnover.

Keep sawing wood, Josh. If the Zags play well over the next two weeks, the hype machine will go into overdrive.

Comment

• BurgessEraZag
            Kennel Club Material
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
            Why isn't Josh Perkins getting the Frank Mason III treatment by the press? During Mason's senior year at Kansas (2016-17), he was constantly raved about for his senior leadership, toughness etc. Granted, he scored more for Jayhawks then Perks does (since they needed him to do so; Zags not so much need for Perks to score high average), but Perkins' college career has been every bit as successful to date as Mason's.

Perkins gets no national media love. He deserves more.
            JOSH EVERY BIT AS IMPORTANT TO GU AS MASON TO KU

We don't need awards or acclaim, we need wins. Josh is promoting the right things. But if you look at our 9 wins, Josh has scored and we needed it with Arizona and Duke and Creighton. So my take is he needs to "not pass up a good open shot" just to get an assist. He'll get his assists but I hope we get 10-12 points every night and we will win. Ever hear this, "take care of the pennies and nickels and the dimes will take care of themselves."

Actually the quote is "take care of the nickels and dimes and the dollars will take care of themselves. But we all know how important dimes are.

Comment

• JAGzag
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

We saw the offense stall when Josh sat due to foul trouble. Kid is KEY to this offensive engine. What an amazing journey he’s had at GU.

Comment

• RenoZag
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ProVeeZag View Post
                Shoes, I'm glad you brought this up, as I noticed this also. I'd be curious also to see if GU has ever had more than 3 players with 20 or more pts in a game. If not, perhaps this could be the year. Maybe during the Pargo years? Seems like there were some high-scoring games in that timeframe.
                Haven't found (yet) a box score with more than three players w/ 20 or more points. . .the digital archives at the GU Athletic dept web site only go back to 99-00 season.

Zags nearly had four with 20 pts versus Santa Clara on 02/05/05: Turiaf 22; Morrison 22; Batista 19; Raivio 19

If time allows, I'll keep digging through the box scores . . .4 - 20 point scorers or 3 Double-Doubles in a regulation game is likely a rarity.

Three 20 point scorers is probably a more frequent event:

12/01/2004: Washington: Turiaf 23; Morrison 26; Raivio 21 (W 99-87)
                12/12/2009: Davidson: Harris 27; Sacre 23; Goodson 22 (W 103 - 91)
                01/21/2010: Pepperdine: Bouldin 32; Harris 20; Gray 20 (W 91 - 84)
                12/10/2014: WSU: Karnowski 22; Wiltjer 21; Wesley 20 (W 81-66)
                12/01/2017: Creighton: Tillie 22; Melson 21; Norvell, Jr. 21 (W 91-74)
                12/01/2018: Creighton: Norvell, Jr 28; Clarke 27; Hachimura 22 (W 103-92 )

December isn't over. . .
                Last edited by RenoZag; 12-03-2018, 11:22 AM.
                The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Reborn
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

Thanks Reno Zag. Brings back some really good Zag memories.
                  Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• ProVeeZag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2011

Reno, thx for digging into the data! I was certain there had been 3 Zags score 20 or more in one game, and your findings came up with just 6 instances of that (since 1999-00 season). Not that common really. I would guess there would be an LMU game or two during the Paul Westhead era where Zags had 3 20-pt scorers in a contest. My son and I saw a couple of those affairs where both teams surpassed 100 points. Just found this: On 2/18/89 LMU defeated GU 147-136. Haven't found box score yet, but that would be one to check for possibly being 4 GU players with 20 or more pts.
                    —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• Ekrub
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2009

Wonder what Byron Wesley is up to. He was a great player for us.

Comment

• ProVeeZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Ekrub View Post
                        Wonder what Byron Wesley is up to. He was a great player for us.
                        Per Wikipedia, Wesley is playing in Israel:

"On October 5, 2017, Wesley signed a one-year deal with the Israeli team Hapoel Kfar Saba of the Liga Leumit. In 29 games played during the 2017–18 season, he averaged 20.3 points, 7.3 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game.

On November 7, 2018, Wesley returned to Hapoel Kfar Saba for the 2018–19 season"
                        —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• Zagceo
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2013

TRIPLE THE DOUBLE-DOUBLES:
                          - Gonzaga had three players finish with double-doubles in the win at Creighton.
                          - Rui Hachimura recorded his first collegiate double-double with 22 points and 11 rebounds. Brandon Clarke had his 17th career double-double, and third of the season with 27 points and 10 boards. Josh Perkins scored 13 points and threw out 11 assists, his second double-double of the season and third of his career.
                          - According to ESPN Stats and Info, it's the first time three Zags have recorded double-doubles in the same game dating back to 1996-97.
                          - Only five teams have had three players record double-doubles in the same game so far this season according to ESPN Stats and Info.

Comment

Working...
                          X