PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Creighton Post Game thoughts and analysis

Reborn
12-01-2018, 07:07 PM
Gonzaga 103
Creighton 92

Now that was a great basketball game, imo. I love to see good shooting and high octane basketbball. The gym was packed and the fans on fire (18,000 +fans. Fifth all time largest crowd. and I think the largest non conference game. I was proud how our Zags handled the crowd. this is a very mature Gonzaga team, imo. Creighton led the whole first half and I think scored around 49 points. Zags were down eight. Our outside shooting was horrible, yet we were able to stay close because Rui and Clark were piling up points/

First: Noval makes one 3 pointer in first half and then 5 in the second, scoring 5 points at half-time and 28 for the game.
Second: Clark was the 2nd leading scorer with 27 and 10 rebounds. and shot 9-11 from the FT line/
Rui 21 pts and 11 boards. 3-4 from FT line.
Perkins 13 pts and 13 assists and 4-4 from the lane.

Not much scoring from the bench tonight. But what a great offensive scoring night with 3 guys scoring 20 points or more. That doesn't happen very often in college basketball.

Zags were really off the first half, especially Norvell and Kispert. Then we really came alive in 2nd half/ I think we were down at half by 8 or so. This game really reminded me of the Arizona game in that sense that it was a game of two different halves. Creighton really can shoot the threes' I was really impressed. And the arena is a great gym to play in. Super fans like Gonzaga. It awesome to win in an arena that size: 17,000 (NBA size). I knew that our strength would be our inside players, Rui and Clark. Both played great. I was equally impressed with both players. Maybe Clark's best game. Rui is such a team player. What a humble guy. He's a great passer. He was at the point many many times running the offense so Josh could play the wing, and then Josh into foul trouble the first half. Regarding who played for Crandall, Id say no one. Jones got more minutes. I actually think Petrusev played less than in any game I've seen the Zags play. I'd say Few played mostly six guys. Jones fills in really nice and really helps the team. He can all the positions accept the point. Kispert finished with 8 and Perkins 13. Josh, imo, played a great game with 13 points and 13 assists. I love how he is running the offense this year.

I enjoyed this game maybe even more than the Duke game. I really liked the game as you may know I really like good outside shooting. Zags made eleven threes and Creighton14.

Go Zags!!!

Zagceo
12-01-2018, 07:51 PM
Why didn’t Petrusev play in the second half?

ZagzKrak
12-01-2018, 07:56 PM
Why didn’t Petrusev play in the second half?

he can't switch on all the ball screens...got burned a ton in the 1st half

JPtheBeasta
12-01-2018, 08:01 PM
He didn't look bad when in. Clarke and Rui took care of business and he wasn't needed, is what I'm guessing.

Zagdawg
12-01-2018, 08:35 PM
I agree--Few went with their speed in and energy-- but I thought Petrusev was solid when he was needed.

john montana
12-01-2018, 08:58 PM
he can't switch on all the ball screens...got burned a ton in the 1st half

This. We needed mobility to chase the shooters.

strikenowhere
12-01-2018, 09:00 PM
My question is - where is the defense? Went from 23 --> 32 Kenpom from one game.

Zagceo
12-01-2018, 09:02 PM
This. We needed mobility to chase the shooters.

and Jones finished the game on the court with starters for his defense.

willandi
12-01-2018, 09:03 PM
My question is - where is the defense? Went from 23 --> 32 Kenpom from one game.

A lot of teams will fall when Creighton shoots against them.

Zagceo
12-01-2018, 09:39 PM
Dook put 113 on Stetson in Cameron

Zags put 103 on CU in Omaha

espn has headline Dook has 59 point half...meanwhile Zags put up 62 in second half against CU

willandi
12-01-2018, 09:47 PM

espn has headline Dook has 59 point half...meanwhile Zags put up 62 in second half against CU

B..b..but Barrett was fouled!

Zagger
12-01-2018, 10:00 PM
Good game! CU had me worried with all the 3s they were making. Stats say 14 made. Seemed more like 40. GU was impressive on keeping up a good shooting percentage while Creighton was hot. Not often 3 players score 20+ points. Iím very impressed with these Zags. I was hoping Clarke would be a good player for GU. Heís turned out to be a great player for GU! Perkins is also doing very well. Jones is about as solid as a bench player can get and Kispert is flat out Mr. Dependable. 103 points in a tough venue against a hot shooting home team ..... why ESPN is placing Kansas ahead of GU in their power rankings seems silly to me. Stanford dang near beat Kansas @ Kansas.
Zags have more tough games coming up. Itíll be interesting to see if the Zags 98.4 PPG will go up or down against Udub on Wednesday.

ProVeeZag
12-01-2018, 10:40 PM

We wouldn't want to confuse the "Gurus in Bristol" with facts while they're off looking at "shiny things". After all, they are experts at their craft. Besides, Stetson has that really cool mascot! https://i.pinimg.com/236x/be/b7/a6/beb7a67203bdce82c81d34fb41848068.jpg

hooter73
12-01-2018, 10:47 PM
We need bench contributions.

Vanzagger
12-01-2018, 10:50 PM
Kispert and Jones had timely contributions from downtown

sullyzag66
12-02-2018, 12:40 AM

But they did it against Stetson...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sittingon50
12-02-2018, 01:22 AM
B..b..but Barrett was fouled!

:lmao:

sittingon50
12-02-2018, 01:24 AM

The bench was in a sling & in a boot.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-02-2018, 05:45 AM

Foster got a couple minutes but sure did not look ready for them. I like his athleticism and think he can develop into an impact player for sure, but likely needs 2 full years in the system before doing so.

Guess the view of Ayayi by coaching staff is loud and clear...he's not ready to help this team. I hope it's a learning the system thing that will happen for him by year 3 as he seems to have the athletic tools necessary (but could use a dependable 3 pt shot).

Crandall is clearly the only ballhandling depth Coach Few is likely to trust come postseason...and Zags will need him. Hope he is using this injury time to learn the system, build relationships and get more comfortable. As long as Crandall and Tillie can both get acclimated and physically in shape during WCC play, Zags' depth come postseason should be great w nine solid contributors available:

- Kispert: (Tillie will be starting) instant offense & toughness off the bench
- Jeremy Jones: supersub for any position from 3-5
- Geno Crandall: added quickness and perimeter D off bench; allows Perkins to get some rest and/or minutes off the ball; his shot will be there by postseason!
- Filip Petrusev: Big man brings defensive depth and offensive prowess off the bench

willandi
12-02-2018, 07:52 AM
I will re-watch the game today, but what struck me was in the 2nd half, the defense was on them at the 3 pt line. They switched, switched back and covered their shooters. Yes, they made some shots, but fewer and with a hand in their face.

As much as the offensive explosion dictated the result, the defense was what denied CU to match shot for shot.

JPtheBeasta
12-02-2018, 07:53 AM
Kispert and Jones had timely contributions from downtown

Kispert hit some very important open looks that answered Creighton buckets. I forgot about the one Jones hit in the corner. This was a total team win and there were so many big baskets that, if missed, could have let Creighton's foot back in the door.

There's a lot of talk about Norvell, but I think Kispert isn't afraid of these moments either. He looked cold-blooded, but without the razzle dazzle and some of the really bad shots. He acquitted himself fairly well on defense this game. There was a play I recall when he helped too far down and couldn't recover to a shooter in the corner, but he looked much better overall, to me. There was another play where he got duped into overplaying to the inside and his man went baseline, but I thought that was good offense and something he can learn from in film study.

JPtheBeasta
12-02-2018, 08:00 AM
Foster got a couple minutes but sure did not look ready for them. I like his athleticism and think he can develop into an impact player for sure, but likely needs 2 full years in the system before doing so.

Guess the view of Ayayi by coaching staff is loud and clear...he's not ready to help this team. I hope it's a learning the system thing that will happen for him by year 3 as he seems to have the athletic tools necessary (but could use a dependable 3 pt shot).

[...]

The fact that Foster is playing over others says a lot about the confidence the staff has in him. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do when he gets more comfortable. His challenge, it seems to me, will be confidence scoring the ball.

Disappointing about Ayayi... I hope it clicks for him. He would have been good on the perimeter switching. Part of the problem I have seen is that he gets pushed around by bigger guards. In this game, Perkins ended up switching down on bigs on multiple occasions. Ayayi would have been hapless down low.

MontanaCoyote
12-02-2018, 08:13 AM
Gonzaga 103
Creighton 92

Now that was a great basketball game, imo. I love to see good shooting and high octane basketbball. The gym was packed and the fans on fire (18,000 +fans. Fifth all time largest crowd. and I think the largest non conference game. I was proud how our Zags handled the crowd. this is a very mature Gonzaga team, imo. Creighton led the whole first half and I think scored around 49 points. Zags were down eight. Our outside shooting was horrible, yet we were able to stay close because Rui and Clark were piling up points/

First: Noval makes one 3 pointer in first half and then 5 in the second, scoring 5 points at half-time and 28 for the game.
Second: Clark was the 2nd leading scorer with 27 and 10 rebounds. and shot 9-11 from the FT line/
Rui 21 pts and 11 boards. 3-4 from FT line.
Perkins 13 pts and 13 assists and 4-4 from the lane.

Not much scoring from the bench tonight. But what a great offensive scoring night with 3 guys scoring 20 points or more. That doesn't happen very often in college basketball.

Zags were really off the first half, especially Norvell and Kispert. Then we really came alive in 2nd half/ I think we were down at half by 8 or so. This game really reminded me of the Arizona game in that sense that it was a game of two different halves. Creighton really can shoot the threes' I was really impressed. And the arena is a great gym to play in. Super fans like Gonzaga. It awesome to win in an arena that size: 17,000 (NBA size). I knew that our strength would be our inside players, Rui and Clark. Both played great. I was equally impressed with both players. Maybe Clark's best game. Rui is such a team player. What a humble guy. He's a great passer. He was at the point many many times running the offense so Josh could play the wing, and then Josh into foul trouble the first half. Regarding who played for Crandall, Id say no one. Jones got more minutes. I actually think Petrusev played less than in any game I've seen the Zags play. I'd say Few played mostly six guys. Jones fills in really nice and really helps the team. He can all the positions accept the point. Kispert finished with 8 and Perkins 13. Josh, imo, played a great game with 13 points and 13 assists. I love how he is running the offense this year.

I enjoyed this game maybe even more than the Duke game. I really liked the game as you may know I really like good outside shooting. Zags made eleven threes and Creighton14.

Go Zags!!!

ReBorn, Wish I could enjoy games like this like you do. Just can’t. Get so nervous I have to do something else when they’re on. I made a picture frame during this one, looking up to watch when (just after) something good happened. I’m exhausted by the time the games over. I know I miss a lot.

On the 3’s. I marvel at how good many of these 3 pt shooters are but question how the 3 pointer is affecting the game. No expert for sure, but I think the 3 line has to be moved back, except maybe at the corners, in order to keep the game as multifaceted as I think it should be. May well be in a distinct minority on this but (without statistical evidence) just think the 3 is, or is getting, just too easy.

MontanaCoyote
12-02-2018, 08:18 AM
He didn't look bad when in. Clarke and Rui took care of business and he wasn't needed, is what I'm guessing.

Yes. Mark my novice b-ball word, Petrusev will prove to be a very important cog in the Zag machine as the season wears on.

MontanaCoyote
12-02-2018, 08:26 AM

Crandall is clearly the only ballhandling depth Coach Few is likely to trust come postseason...and Zags will need him. Hope he is using this injury time to learn the system, build relationships and get more comfortable. As long as Crandall and Tillie can both get acclimated and physically in shape during WCC play, Zags' depth come postseason should be great w nine solid contributors available:

- Kispert: (Tillie will be starting) instant offense & toughness off the bench
- Jeremy Jones: supersub for any position from 3-5
- Geno Crandall: added quickness and perimeter D off bench; allows Perkins to get some rest and/or minutes off the ball; his shot will be there by postseason!
- Filip Petrusev: Big man brings defensive depth and offensive prowess off the bench

Agree! I also think in the end it will come down to toughness inside, both on O and D boards, which means, I think, keeping our bigs out of early foul trouble and/or getting opponents bigs in early foul trouble. Novice here, so just my gut talking.

stretch
12-02-2018, 08:34 AM
Message to Coach Few: PLAY AYAYI! He's a talent that needs development and significant minutes looking toward March, current and potential injuries, foul trouble (going to happen in a defense that mostly switches everything) and the glaring lack of depth at the guard position.

willandi
12-02-2018, 09:16 AM
Message to Coach Few: PLAY AYAYI! He's a talent that needs development and significant minutes looking toward March, current and potential injuries, foul trouble (going to happen in a defense that mostly switches everything) and the glaring lack of depth at the guard position.

He will get plenty of play in WCC games. This 4 game stretch is not the time for him to be learning...although I could see him in to play defense on a hot shooter.

kitzbuel
12-02-2018, 09:46 AM
Message to Coach Few: PLAY AYAYI! He's a talent that needs development and significant minutes looking toward March, current and potential injuries, foul trouble (going to happen in a defense that mostly switches everything) and the glaring lack of depth at the guard position.I don't see Ayayi getting any minutes over the next stretch. Maybe some time against Northern Alabama, CS Bakersfield.

His and Foster's minutes are going to steadily diminish after that as Few sharpens his post season line up. Few's bench always gets shorter the closer to post season play we get.

Their development is going to happen in the practice gym.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Reborn
12-02-2018, 11:28 AM
To me, it looked like The Zags never missed a beat in the absence of Crandall. One thing I noticed is Rui playing the point at times. Rui is a truly amazing basketball player. The way he rebounds those defensive boards and takes off like a jet heading toward the other rim. He runs like a deer, and handles the ball magnificently at full speed. He has the handles of a guard, and the size of a power forward. Truly an amazing player. He had 3 assists, but to me it seemed more. But one thing is certain. He handled the ball a lot in this game, with a purpose of passing. I think he is the key to relieving Perk from his duties at the point. With Rui running the show, Perk is able to play the wing and use his great skills shooting the ball more.

I'm not sure is Jones played more now that Crandall is out? I did notice that Jones seemed to play the same roll he has played in the last 4 games, super sub. Nice to see him hit that 3. He seems to like that right corner. He did miss a foul shot which surprised me. Jones has the perfect size to really help the Zags, and he plays with all he has. He knows his roll and plays it perfectly, in my opinion.

there hasn't been anything said about Rui's defense this year. He is, for the most part (he does still have some lapses), becoming a really good defender, and I think especially against guards and the wings. I love to watch him get into his defensive stance when he guarding a guard. It's going to great to see what Few does when Tillie returns.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
12-02-2018, 11:49 AM
I'm wondering if Gonzaga has ever had 3 players score 20 or more points in a game? I am just in awe at times at the offensive power of this team. And the fact that we sitll are playing without Tillie. I just makes me giggle as an expression of ecstacy. Is there enough playing time to have 4 guys score 20 points. I think we may need to begin thinking of a name for this team. There was the fab five, and we have heard about them a lot this year. There was the Phi Slamma Jamma. They could really put on a show. I'm not saying that we need to do that just yet. I'm only beginning to think about it. I'm just so awe struck by the guys on this team. I mean the news media kept referring to the Fab Five when talking about Duke. And then here comes little 'ol Gonzaga and knocks them off. Imagine that. We upset the idea of Duke Supremacy. We were giving the top spot in the AP and Coaches poll for our play in the Maui final. But today I see ESPN has already elevated Kansas to the No 1 spot and dropped the Zags to the #2. It's just not possible that that that Little Engine who could could become the best team in the country. The victory yesterday was huge I believe, and Creighton played great the first half.

RenoZag
12-02-2018, 12:01 PM
I'm wondering if Gonzaga has ever had 3 players score 20 or more points in a game? I am just in awe at times at the offensive power of this team. And the fact that we sitll are playing without Tillie. I just makes me giggle as an expression of ecstacy. Is there enough playing time to have 4 guys score 20 points.

12/01/2004: Washington: Turiaf 23; Morrison 26; Raivio 21 (W 99-87)
12/12/2009: Davidson: Harris 27; Sacre 23; Goodson 22 (W 103 - 91)
01/21/2010: Pepperdine: Bouldin 32; Harris 20; Gray 20 (W 91 - 84)
12/10/2014: WSU: Karnowski 22; Wiltjer 21; Wesley 20 (W 81-66)
12/01/2017: Creighton: Tillie 22; Melson 21; Norvell, Jr. 21 (W 91-74)
12/01/2018: Creighton: Norvell, Jr 28; Clarke 27; Hachimura 22 (W 103-92 )

Zags nearly had four with 20 pts versus Santa Clara on 02/05/05: Turiaf 22; Morrison 22; Batista 19; Raivio 19

DixieZag
12-02-2018, 12:01 PM
Just re-watched game.

CU will be very good if they play like that all year, but that's a tough bar. They made a lot of tough shots, especially early.

We are more gifted offensively than any Zag team I've seen. Norvelle is approaching "Ammo-Attitude" and Rui is developing into something we've never had, an NBA-starter quality wing. Perks isn't turning it over and getting his drives to fall better, and BC just can't be stopped at times. Add to that Corey shooting dagger 3's and it will take a very special team clicking on everything to beat us.

Reborn
12-02-2018, 12:25 PM
And the Zags' schedule keeps getting tougher. There's no relaxing. We have Tennessee coming up next Sunday. The game will be played in Arizona some place. And it will probably be a tougher test than yesterday's against Creighton. Tennessee has some pretty tough post players who will certainly challenge Rui and Clarke. Tennessee has only one loss and that was in overtime against Kansas. I am glad that the Zags scheduled very difficult out of conference games. We also have Washington and Univ. of North Carolina at UNC.

Look at and compare Gonzaga to Duke and Kansas since Maui. They have played nothing but cupcakes. And Gonzaga continues to player tougher and tougher teams so they can get better.

Go Zags!!!

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-02-2018, 01:05 PM
The fact that Foster is playing over others says a lot about the confidence the staff has in him. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do when he gets more comfortable. His challenge, it seems to me, will be confidence scoring the ball.

Disappointing about Ayayi... I hope it clicks for him. He would have been good on the perimeter switching. Part of the problem I have seen is that he gets pushed around by bigger guards. In this game, Perkins ended up switching down on bigs on multiple occasions. Ayayi would have been hapless down low.

Great observation...w a 3-pt shooting team like Creighton, Zags had to play the switch everything D and neither Ayayi nor Petrusev are well suited for that. Another one of the many ways in which Perkins is underrated is his strength...he could and did indeed muscle up and defend low post players after switching.

Perhaps we are reading too much into substitution patterns as a "how good is he" measurement when all coaches care about and need from their bench this season is guys who can help them get stops.

willandi
12-02-2018, 01:25 PM
I did rewatch this morning. In the 1st half, the Zags defense collapsed about halfway between the arc and the key, excepting the man on the ball.

The 2nd half, the Zag defenders were mostly at the arc, excepting the on opposite side defender who had collapsed to the 1/2 way point.

Not much difference in points scored, but 3pt % was way different and the inside game benefited the Zags.

JPtheBeasta
12-02-2018, 01:36 PM
I did rewatch this morning. In the 1st half, the Zags defense collapsed about halfway between the arc and the key, excepting the man on the ball.

The 2nd half, the Zag defenders were mostly at the arc, excepting the on opposite side defender who had collapsed to the 1/2 way point.

Not much difference in points scored, but 3pt % was way different and the inside game benefited the Zags.

Interesting observations. Thanks.

Zagsker
12-02-2018, 01:40 PM
Loved that Duke got pub for a 59 point half against cologne...Zags put up 62 in a half

RenoZag
12-02-2018, 01:52 PM
Rebroadcast of GU vs. Creighton - ROOTNW ( Directv Ch 687 ) 3:00pm PST

MontanaCoyote
12-02-2018, 02:16 PM
And the Zags' schedule keeps getting tougher. There's no relaxing. We have Tennessee coming up next Sunday. The game will be played in Arizona some place. And it will probably be a tougher test than yesterday's against Creighton. Tennessee has some pretty tough post players who will certainly challenge Rui and Clarke. Tennessee has only one loss and that was in overtime against Kansas. I am glad that the Zags scheduled very difficult out of conference games. We also have Washington and Univ. of North Carolina at UNC.

Look at and compare Gonzaga to Duke and Kansas since Maui. They have played nothing but cupcakes. And Gonzaga continues to player tougher and tougher teams so they can get better.

Go Zags!!!

Yes, just checked NCAA assist stats. Zags 4th. Tennessee 2nd. Only 2 assist pg difference but says something I would guess on how to prepare for them. I know we consider our assists a big plus. Going up against a team that does just a touch better than us in the category and has some serious bigs. Should be a real interesting game. Tough, too, I suppose.

bballbeachbum
12-02-2018, 03:56 PM

yep, thought it was one of the keys to winning, but I think the D change happened in the first half.

if you go to the 1:45 point in this video, which is about the 13:40 in the 1st half of the game, Few is up and exhorting them to step out and extend, and they do, and they stay with this for much of the rest of the game, even if in trasition they still allowed some 3s 1st half

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZnoFeReyxU

GrizZAG
12-02-2018, 04:23 PM
Concerned about Rui and Clarke trying to defend TN Bigs and getting into foul trouble.

Markburn1
12-02-2018, 07:57 PM
Concerned about Rui and Clarke trying to defend TN Bigs and getting into foul trouble.

Hard to say with any particular game, but I think Tennessee will be in more danger because Grant Williams may have a difficult time with fouls defending Rui or Clarke. He isn't as mobile or athletic as either of those two. If the Zags put him in foul trouble it will go a long way towards a win for Gonzaga. Their big guy, Alexander isn't a focal point on their offense so he's not as big a threat to draw fouls. Rui needs to stay away from the offensive fouls and Clarke from the one or two ticky tack fouls and I think they will be fine in that area. I would be more concerned with Josh fouling as the Vols are pretty athletic with their three guard lineup. Schofield is a stud.

White lightning
12-02-2018, 08:14 PM
I hope Gonzaga works on inbounding the ball when pressured. It's the only thing that drives me to drink. As great of a coach Few is, how come we suck so bad at this. It's not just this team it's all of the teams I can remember. Only in 16/17 did we do a sum what ok job. Tennessee will tear us up if we don't get this worked out in the next few weeks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Markburn1
12-02-2018, 08:19 PM
I hope Gonzaga works on inbounding the ball when pressured. It's the only thing that drives me to drink. As great of a coach Few is, how come we suck so bad at this. It's not just this team it's all of the teams I can remember. Only in 16/17 did we do a sum what ok job. Tennessee will tear us up if we don't get this worked out in the next few weeks.

Makes me think of Butler. Ouch.

ProVeeZag
12-02-2018, 11:23 PM
Makes me think of Butler. Ouch.

Stockton to Roosevelt Jones. If I can't sleep tonight, it's your fault...

sittingon50
12-03-2018, 12:13 AM
Stockton to Roosevelt Jones. If I can't sleep tonight, it's your fault...

And it appeared to me that the reason Jones was so open was because of 2 hands into KO's back.

ZagsGoZags
12-03-2018, 05:21 AM
Montana said "ReBorn, Wish I could enjoy games like this like you do. Just canít. Get so nervous I have to do something else when theyíre on. I made a picture frame during this one, looking up to watch when (just after) something good happened. Iím exhausted by the time the games over. I know I miss a lot."

I used to be that way too. It has helped me in the last few years to remember that a few losses a season is sometimes a good thing. It whittles down the size of egos of players who are taking the hype too seriously. It also sobers up those who get cocky in a hubris-type manner. Even that loss to BYU the last game of the season two years ago seemed to put fire into us to get through some tough games in the NCAA tournament. For us right now, a couple of losses, IMHO, would keep reminding us that ALL the focus needs to be on the next game, and playing with intensity, energy, and high level defense.

The fact that Rui is getting lots of minutes is reassuring to me. He lacked so much the jungle ball so many American players grow up on in pick up games, down at the outside courts of neighborhood schools and playgrounds. Last year I wondered if he would ever develop that sixth sense that so many bigs need to learn, of where the great big players are above you, when you battle it out in the paint. Correctly anticipating where opponents are likely to be in the heat of battle down low. Knowing through experience how they grab at your arms and the ball when driving towards the hoop. Sensing how they will try to tie you up when you bring the ball down preparing to jump. This Fall and last Fall, when Rui first arrived he seemed to be used to lesser caliber defenses he played against all summer, and would have a false confidence about driving to the bucket, and get swatted down, or the ball taken away from him when he held it low. Those days seem to be gone now, last years Dance, and this years tough competition has given him the experience he needed in this department, in my opinion.

It is nice to see Kispert healthy and taking more drives and slashes. He is so strong he can get away with finishing near the basket with opponents whacking his arms and hands, something Perkins is not as good at, and maybe never will be. Still Perks is finishing in the paint way better than a couple of years ago.
I am sure Few has given Zach N. the green light to shoot, almost as much as Ammo, but I worry about the frequency at which he takes bad shots rather than passing out of his situation. Problem is, for me, he still makes some of those too. There are other players on this team who would rack up big numbers if they took as many shots as he does.
Zach and Rui have sharply increased their defense and it shows. Rui gets down low and moves sideways, horizontally, so much better than earlier. Nice to see him tackle that problem, and Cory K. is getting better at that too.

Zagceo
12-03-2018, 05:25 AM

It was 1 player that made 2 bad passes to our most athletic players. Few was not happy with execution. Look at the replay.

White lightning
12-03-2018, 06:19 AM
It was 1 player that made 2 bad passes to our most athletic players. Few was not happy with execution. Look at the replay.Kind of a pattern over the years. They catch the ball on the baseline and then hang on hoping for the foul to come. I'd like to see Jones inbounding the ball. Bigger experienced player who doesn't get rattled. Great FT shooter if the ball comes back to him and able to pass over shorter guards. Definitely a need to fix before March.

Zagceo
12-03-2018, 06:22 AM
Kind of a pattern over the years. They catch the ball on the baseline and then hang on hoping for the foul to come. I'd like to see Jones inbounding the ball. Bigger experienced player who doesn't get rattled. Great FT shooter if the ball comes back to him and able to pass over shorter guards. Definitely a need to fix before March.

agree

DixieZag
12-03-2018, 06:30 AM
Kind of a pattern over the years. They catch the ball on the baseline and then hang on hoping for the foul to come. I'd like to see Jones inbounding the ball. Bigger experienced player who doesn't get rattled. Great FT shooter if the ball comes back to him and able to pass over shorter guards. Definitely a need to fix before March.

It's not a bad thought on Jones.

He's also the guy who has had some training in standing at the line and surveying the defense, about to have the ball in his hands and needing to throw to an open man, all on him, it does seem to be a natural to put him in that position.

Kid is also unflappable.

bigblahla
12-03-2018, 06:30 AM
And it appeared to me that the reason Jones was so open was because of 2 hands into KO's back.

Right in front of a ref who left his bifocals at home.... travesty on a national stage...

Go!! Zags!!!