PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-CU

Section 116
12-01-2018, 01:44 PM
Hudson and Morrison: Top ranked Bulldogs receive a scare but hang on for a 103-92 win. Bulldogs improve to 8-0 but it wan't easy. Credit to CU early on every time GU made a push CU pushed back. But in the second half the Bulldogs outscored CU 62-44. Norvell 28, Clarke 27 and 10, Rui 22 and 11. Zags 52.2% from the floor, CU 48.6. New high for Clarke as a Zag. Double Double for Perk as well with 13 points and 13 assists.

The first play called for Snax at the start of the second half was big as after that he went off in the second half. Zags put up 103 points with only 8 TO's. Creighton led by 27 of Alexander and 15 of Jefferson. GU outrebounded CU 29-22. 18,759 fans on hand to see CU hit 9 of 20 threes in the first half to treat the crowd to a halftime led. CU 5-14 from three in the second half. There was point in the second half when both teams were shooting over 68%.

Morrison noted GU has a done a good job this year of weathering bad stretches and getting back to the plan, getting the ball inside out. GU's vision is great and they pass the ball real well, again note only 8 TO's. The 12-0 run later in the second half, holding CU scoreless for nearly 4 minutes, was the run the finally put the Bulldogs over the top and pretty much took the crowd out of the game. The Zags only got 5 points from the bench today.

Clarke: We have so many weapons and we can play so many ways and score so many different ways, we are really hard to defend. We believe in the team and even if we are down by seven we think we can come back and run off ten. It would be nice if Snax could shoot like that the whole game but hey 28 points for him. Three double doubles in the game, me and Rui got the rebounds tonight and Perk got the assists. Coach was really on us to rebound the ball in the second half. CU is a very very good team, and they had like 18000 fans, This is a tough to place to play but we just hung with it.

Michaelson: A lot like last year CU had the lead at 7 at the half and Snax struggled just like last year in the first half. This is a really really tough place to play. There was a lot of fight in GU. We had a tough stretch were we didn't rebound and we didn't score and I was starting to get worried. Every time we made a push CU pushed back. Clarke knocked down the free throws in the second half, he has been making them in practice. We Perk is doing with his assist to TO's ratio I don't know if we have had anybody do that before. I think Perk gets overlooked on a national level Today he had a 13-1 ratio, that is just spectacular, And then they decided to sag off him for a bit and he made them pay when he scored.

Morrison:

Clarke hit his last 7 free throws down the stretch. I just can't say enough about what BC is doing for us. He is really taking advantage on the extra minutes with Tillie out. He was 9-12 from the floor and his season FG percentage is going down as it was at 78%.

I can't say enough about what Perk is doing this year. His floor game is just A plus. He's cleaned up his complaining at the refs. He's distributing the ball well and scores when he has his chances. The turnaround for this game actually started with the play call coming out of the half.

Hudson: the defense really stepped up in the second half and this is the fourth time this GU went over the 100 point mark.

That's it for now! Added: Perks 13 assists in a game second all time to Stepp's 16

bartruff1
12-01-2018, 02:01 PM
Thanks....I would take one exception to the broadcast crew....I don't think the Zags were ever scared....I know I wasn't....this team is very comfortable with being #1 and it shows.....is it possible that Few has become a even better game coach and better at making adjustments at half time ???

They just play with great confidence and poise....even my dog is enjoying the games...

Birddog
12-01-2018, 03:04 PM
Thanks....I would take one exception to the broadcast crew....I don't think the Zags were ever scared....I know I wasn't....this team is very comfortable with being #1 and it shows.....is it possible that Few has become a even better game coach and better at making adjustments at half time ???

They just play with great confidence and poise....even my dog is enjoying the games...

I agree. The better adjustments you mention are the result of better players IMO. This team has great confidence and it is contagious.

DixieZag
12-01-2018, 03:15 PM
I agree. The better adjustments you mention are the result of better players IMO. This team has great confidence and it is contagious.

You nailed it.

They score 62 points in a second half? And that's with a bit of a dry spell for 3-4 mins with 6:00 left.

This team can explode and put 40 pts on the board in any ten minute run, it's just amazing.

Hope Norvelle is okay, gotta love a guy that can bury 3-5 three pointers in 2:00 mins of action.

ProVeeZag
12-01-2018, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=Added: Perks 13 assists in a game second all time to Stepp's 16[/QUOTE]

This surprises me; I would have guessed John Stockton would have more. Of course, this Zag team scores a lot more points so more chances for assists. Makes sense...

Section 116
12-01-2018, 03:20 PM
It wasn't the broadcast crew who said they or the Zags were starting to get a little worried, it was Michaelson speaking for himself.

CDC84
12-01-2018, 03:50 PM
Section 116 - thank you for please continuing to post these post-game radio goodies.

Zagcity
12-02-2018, 07:00 AM
Section 116 - thank you for please continuing to post these post-game radio goodies.

A big, thanks, always enjoy them!

bartruff1
12-02-2018, 07:22 AM
It wasn't the broadcast crew who said they or the Zags were starting to get a little worried, it was Michaelson speaking for himself.

Maybe I misread the first sentence.....but in any case...the team never looked scared to me …..

bballbeachbum
12-02-2018, 08:08 AM
re. the adjustments, better players but also better Few getting better all the time too seems to me. Few has had some great players now for many many years but the defensive gameplans are more sophisticated now, just better, more deceptive, more aimed and customized for each opponent vs. trotting out the same D's game after game because that's all the Zags would play.

whatever it is, yesterday was an example. Around the 13 minute mark of 1st half, Few was up off the bench, exhorting his perimeter defenders to step out higher, challenge the perimeter and take away those 3s. Whether that was by pre-game design or a change made during the run of play idk, but it helped change the game

Section 116
12-02-2018, 10:44 AM
No problem Bartruff1, I wasn't calling you out or anything like that, I just wanted to clarify. I don't always proofread as well as I should. When I'm doing those radio shows I try to get them up an posted as quickly as possible and sometimes the phrases and spelling could use a little work!

Zagceo
12-02-2018, 10:50 AM
re. the adjustments, better players but also better Few getting better all the time too seems to me. Few has had some great players now for many many years but the defensive gameplans are more sophisticated now, just better, more deceptive, more aimed and customized for each opponent vs. trotting out the same D's game after game because that's all the Zags would play.

whatever it is, yesterday was an example. Around the 13 minute mark of 1st half, Few was up off the bench, exhorting his perimeter defenders to step out higher, challenge the perimeter and take away those 3s. Whether that was by pre-game design or a change made during the run of play idk, but it helped change the game

if you listen to post game interview of The Few on spokesman page 3:20 (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/dec/01/analysis-gonzaga-creighton/)...team finally listened that was the plan in the first and second half.