5m5 minutes ago
More Jim Meehan Retweeted Dave Pasch
Pasch and Walton calling GU-UW

Dave Pasch

Verified account

@DavePasch
Follow Follow @DavePasch
More Dave Pasch Retweeted Carl A. Martinez
We have two games next week. Washington at Gonzaga on Wednesday & Notre Dame at UCLA next Saturday. Lots of therapy until & in between.

bartruff1
11-28-2018, 08:19 AM
What a travesty …..

gozagswoohoo
11-28-2018, 08:23 AM
Oh cool, I was needing to give my ears a good bleeding next week.

thespywhozaggedme
11-28-2018, 08:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

229SintoZag
11-28-2018, 08:36 AM
Oh cool, I was needing to give my ears a good bleeding next week.

While Walton can be annoying the criticism of him on this board has become absurd.

He had many many good complimentary things to say about the Zags and Few and our program in Maui. If you’re expecting him to tell you what’s happening on the floor he’s not your guy. Otherwise he is fine and occasionally spins a good yarn.

thespywhozaggedme
11-28-2018, 08:40 AM
While Walton can be annoying the criticism of him on this board has become absurd.

He had many many good complimentary things to say about the Zags and Few and our program in Maui. If you’re expecting him to tell you what’s happening on the floor he’s not your guy. Otherwise he is fine and occasionally spins a good yarn.

it's not on this board, it's on every board imaginable. I read beardownwildcats while he was doing our game and they hated him as much if not more than we did. He's a clown and a caricature of himself. it's insulting to basketball fans worldwide to allow this guy to "broadcast" games.

Zagceo
11-28-2018, 08:41 AM

have you been to any other boards?

tinfoilzag
11-28-2018, 08:53 AM
I hope he finishes his documentary on the Hawaiian Islands that was interrupted by the basketball game last week.

zaguarxj
11-28-2018, 08:57 AM

Ok, then let's see what a professional sports writer for the Spokesman Review has to say: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/19/tv-take-espn-bill-walton-praises-gonzaga-when-he-w/

There is no level of criticism of Walton on this board that is too absurd. I'm sure he is a fine person and I'd love to go on a bike ride with him and talk about volcanoes but he is an awful, terrible, putrid, annoying basketball announcer.

Markburn1
11-28-2018, 08:58 AM
Why is it when I hear Walton's name I always think of Tom Petty's "You Don't Know How it Feels"?

But let me get to the point, let's roll another joint
And turn the radio loud, I'm too alone to be proud
You don't know how it feels
You don't know how it feels to be me

To be clear, I LOVED Walton's game. The NCAAs against Memphis was epic. That Portland team was right up there with the best in the history of the NBA.

GoZags
11-28-2018, 08:59 AM
I'd take Pasch and Walton over Heister and Dickau all day long.

I'd also sub Richard Fox for Walton .... that'd be (Pasch/Fox) in my opinion a MUCH better team of announcers than any other combo of those 5 guys

Birddog
11-28-2018, 09:29 AM

I'd also sub Richard Fox for Walton .... that'd be (Pasch/Fox) in my opinion a MUCH better team of announcers than any other combo of those 5 guys

Agree with that!

thespywhozaggedme
11-28-2018, 09:31 AM

No way, and I am not a fan of the latter two much at all. The thing is Pasch, with another color guy is fine, but when they pair him up with Walton, BW just leads him astray on random tangents too easily.

CDC84
11-28-2018, 09:40 AM
For me Heister and Fox are good as a duo. I think Fox is a very good color analyst. Understands the game well and explains it well to TV viewers. Moreover, when he's with Heister alone, he keeps Heister in check. I mean, I would rather have a different play by play guy than Heister, but the Heister/Fox duo works for me.

I have never been a big fan of Dickau's. For one thing, having two TV color analysts during a broadcast is one too many. Just not enough space. But I just don't like his voice on the air. He stutters and things don't always come out smoothly. Just doesn't have a good announcing voice. It is hard to explain.

For me Walton is the worst TV sports color analyst I have ever heard in the history of sports. That's ANY sport, anywhere in the world. He could hate Gonzaga (which he doesn't) and I wouldn't even care. I don't even care about his
"Conference of Champions" hype about the Pac 12. I just think he lacks professionalism. He doesn't prepare for his broadcasts, and because of it, he has to fill the space with discussion that has nothing to do with the game. He makes declarations and puts forth opinions that are not backed by any data and understanding of the subject. He's just a total clown. And he has a lousy sense of humor. I don't think that a color analyst needs to be dry and boring. Fran Fraschilla isn't dry and boring, but man, you can learn so much about the game of basketball during one of his broadcasts. During his Big 12 games, he attends every practice, talks to all of the coaches and players and comes in prepared. And he's a former coach without a background in journalism.

Thankfully there is a mute button. The only thing I hate is that I have to turn it off if a player gets hurt or if there is something going on with the refs at the monitor that I cannot understand without having the sound on.

The worst thing that Walton says during games - and he says it at least once a broadcast - is how the officials should "just let the kids play." I bet he didn't think that back when he played at UCLA when he was getting foul calls if a feather touched him. And when he says it near the end of games it's even worse, because a game should be officiated no differently at the 12:47 mark in the first half as it is at the 10 second mark in the 2nd half with the game tied at 72.

seacatfan
11-28-2018, 09:55 AM
If you’re expecting him to tell you what’s happening on the floor he’s not your guy.

I can't understand how anyone gives him a free pass on this issue. That literally is his job. If he's not doing that, why the hell is he there?

229SintoZag
11-28-2018, 10:09 AM
Bring back Bob Knight.....

thespywhozaggedme
11-28-2018, 10:11 AM
For me Heister and Fox are good as a duo. I think Fox is a very good color analyst. Understands the game well and explains it well to TV viewers. Moreover, when he's with Heister alone, he keeps Heister in check. I mean, I would rather have a different play by play guy than Heister, but the Heister/Fox duo works for me.

I have never been a big fan of Dickau's. For one thing, having two TV color analysts during a broadcast is one too many. Just not enough space. But I just don't like his voice on the air. He stutters and things don't always come out smoothly. Just doesn't have a good announcing voice. It is hard to explain.

For me Walton is the worst TV sports color analyst I have ever heard in the history of sports. That's ANY sport, anywhere in the world. He could hate Gonzaga (which he doesn't) and I wouldn't even care. I don't even care about his
"Conference of Champions" hype about the Pac 12. I just think he lacks professionalism. He doesn't prepare for his broadcasts, and because of it, he has to fill the space with discussion that has nothing to do with the game. He makes declarations and puts forth opinions that are not backed by any data and understanding of the subject. He's just a total clown. And he has a lousy sense of humor. I don't think that a color analyst needs to be dry and boring. Fran Fraschilla isn't dry and boring, but man, you can learn so much about the game of basketball during one of his broadcasts. During his Big 12 games, he attends every practice, talks to all of the coaches and players and comes in prepared. And he's a former coach without a background in journalism.

Thankfully there is a mute button. The only thing I hate is that I have to turn it off if a player gets hurt or if there is something going on with the refs at the monitor that I cannot understand without having the sound on.

The worst thing that Walton says during games - and he says it at least once a broadcast - is how the officials should "just let the kids play." I bet he didn't think that back when he played at UCLA when he was getting foul calls if a feather touched him. And when he says it near the end of games it's even worse, because a game should be officiated no differently at the 12:47 mark in the first half as it is at the 10 second mark in the 2nd half with the game tied at 72.

That's it in a nutshell. And the thing is, it's not like he's extremely funny, intelligent or creative. he's average at those three attributes and horrific at actually calling a game. I have no idea how he still has a job.

sittingon50
11-28-2018, 10:27 AM
I like Bill.

I may have to stay home instead of going to the game. Don't want to miss any epic observations.

:D

LongIslandZagFan
11-28-2018, 10:32 AM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/5574e809e682771cef7101003c741d46/tenor.gif?itemid=6046516

https://media1.tenor.com/images/f66dc17b4094f2166909820578e6b4e9/tenor.gif?itemid=4844098

Markburn1
11-28-2018, 10:39 AM
I like Bill.

I may have to stay home instead of going to the game. Don't want to miss any epic observations.

Did you know Judge Judy is paid $147 million a year? Highest paid person on TV. This world baffles me.

gozagswoohoo
11-28-2018, 10:41 AM
Way to go Zagdawg, look what you started!! :lmao:

sittingon50
11-28-2018, 10:43 AM
Did you know Judge Judy is paid $147 million a year? Highest paid person on TV. This world baffles me.

I did not know that.

Did she go to GU Law?

jazzdelmar
11-28-2018, 10:48 AM
Not after that ESPN documentary

Bring back Bob Knight.....

Zags_Fanatic
11-28-2018, 11:12 AM
Just one more reason to be happy to be in the Kennel for this one.

HenneZag
11-28-2018, 11:23 AM

I agree x 10. No offense to Heister or Dickau but they're tough to listen to. Dan doesn't have a TV voice and Heister is...well Heister. GU deserves quality commentating.

DixieZag
11-28-2018, 11:28 AM

I agree on Dickau, he starts behind the 8 ball bc three-man teams simply don't work, and then he has less talent than the others. That's okay, the others couldn't do what he did on the court. Broadcasting is its own skill. I think Fox is better, and I'd like to see a younger gen guy get a shot, maybe move away from "Mercury-Astronaut Zags" to "Apollo-Astronaut Zags" and go to a Steven Gray or Pendo or someone.

As for Walton, if an announcer is going to be that over the top, I think there has to be some sort of self-mockery to it, like they're in on themselves as the joke. I suspect I would really love hanging out with Walton, but his game style was at its worst during our last game. And it almost seemed to me that he was taking himself more seriously rather than less. I can take all the gushing of Vitale, because he does everything with a gleam in the eye, he knows he's the joke. Not so with Walton.

Angelo Roncalli
11-28-2018, 11:32 AM
I like Bill.

Can I have your seat? :)

ProVeeZag
11-28-2018, 11:57 AM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/5574e809e682771cef7101003c741d46/tenor.gif?itemid=6046516

https://media1.tenor.com/images/f66dc17b4094f2166909820578e6b4e9/tenor.gif?itemid=4844098

I'd take Dave Pasch and Tracy Morgan over any combination of the others! Could be entertaining, no?

BTW, I let ESPN know my unvarnished feelings about Walton's last "performance" doing Zags' game. Won't result in any changes, but I sure enjoyed "unloading". The primary reason Walton is there is to let us know what is happening on the floor. I pity any announcer who has to work with Bill. It would be quite revealing, I think, to hear how his announcing partners REALLY feel about working with him.

ProVeeZag
11-28-2018, 12:12 PM

Next you're going to tell us that Bill Walton is the 2nd highest paid person on TV.

Birddog
11-28-2018, 12:17 PM
Next you're going to tell us that Bill Walton is the 2nd highest paid person on TV.

Judging by his stream of consciousness style I think he is the "highest" paid color guy on TV.

Zagceo
11-28-2018, 12:46 PM
Judging by his stream of consciousness style I think he is the "highest" paid color guy on TV.

not a broadcasting term....more of a 6th street downtown LA term

bartruff1
11-28-2018, 01:00 PM

No doubt....right up there with Judge Judy.....a sad commentary about what we value in the Country...as if we needed any further proof...

seacatfan
11-28-2018, 01:01 PM
I pity any announcer who has to work with Bill. It would be quite revealing, I think, to hear how his announcing partners REALLY feel about working with him.

I think if you read between the lines it's fairly evident Pasch despises Walton. He tried to roll with it for a while but I think he just got sick of working with someone so unprofessional and frequently argumentative. Walton plays it off like he's just this great big happy trippie hippie dippie dude, but he's really kind of a jerk. He treats his broadcast partner as if he's an idiot half the time. Heister and the boys get a bit feisty from time to time but it's nowhere near as insulting as Walton can be towards his partner. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Pasch working with Walton in Maui. That was bad enough, but the usual duo is beyond painful to listen to.

sittingon50
11-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Can I have your seat? :)

Let me check with the authorities.

;)

ProVeeZag
11-28-2018, 01:27 PM
I think if you read between the lines it's fairly evident Pasch despises Walton. He tried to roll with it for a while but I think he just got sick of working with someone so unprofessional and frequently argumentative. Walton plays it off like he's just this great big happy trippie hippie dippie dude, but he's really kind of a jerk. He treats his broadcast partner as if he's an idiot half the time. Heister and the boys get a bit feisty from time to time but it's nowhere near as insulting as Walton can be towards his partner. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Pasch working with Walton in Maui. That was bad enough, but the usual duo is beyond painful to listen to.

Jason Benetti was Walton's "punching bag" for the Zag-Illinois game in Maui. I came across an interesting story about Benetti (the "Voice of the Chicago White Sox") and his struggles in living with cerebral palsy. He is quoted in the article saying: "If I can help an employer look past somebody else's disability, that's of great value to me," Benetti said. "If I can help a person do something tomorrow that they didn't do today, that's what I want to do." Here's a link to the story, it's worth a read:
https://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/health/turning-points-jason-benetti/index.html

If anyone can deal with having to call a game with Walton, it's Jason Benetti. He's dealt with adversity all his life.

TexasZagFan
11-28-2018, 01:29 PM

Nothing should baffle any of us after the 2016 election...

BayAreaZagFan
11-28-2018, 01:42 PM
I honestly don't care who the announcers are, I just enjoy being able to see them on TV. I do have to admit Walton was more annoying than usual in Maui, but I don't think he's always that bad.

I've been very fortunate for a few years now to have a pretty good number of the non-nationally televised games shown locally here in No Cal. My only other option during that time has been to go to a bar with satellite TV to watch them, usually without sound. I actually like Heister, Dickau and Fox - they remind me of Spokane (although I didn't like Heister when he first started as the sports anchor on Q6 back when I lived in Spokane, he has grown on me). Plus, I think it's pretty cool that what is basically a local Spokane broadcast is going out to everyone with a satellite - I've had a number of people over the years ask me about Spokane and the park and the falls based on the shots they show going in and out of commercials.

Ezag
11-28-2018, 01:45 PM

To me he was painfully dreadful, made me want to hit him over the head with a coconut and disown all my family in Hawaii

seacatfan
11-28-2018, 02:49 PM
Thanks for linking that article ProVee, good read.

ProVeeZag
11-28-2018, 03:38 PM
Thanks for linking that article ProVee, good read.

Glad you enjoyed it. Knowing what Benetti has had to overcome should make us all think twice before complaining about life's occasional difficulties. It says something for ESPN, too, that they have Benetti on their announcing crew ... and gave him a plum assignment in Maui.

billyberu
11-28-2018, 04:09 PM
Judging by his stream of consciousness style I think he is the "highest" paid color guy on TV.I see what you did there. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181129/b73ee63a9ba66f93d3f27b748c816616.gif

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Zagger
11-29-2018, 04:10 AM

My sentiments as well. I usually learn something I didn't know when listening to Walton. I may not remember it though :)
Fun aside .... being an anonymous keyboard warrior one is tempted to say things we'd not necessarily say in a public setting in person - especially about people and certainly not to their faces. Belittling people might be a presidential pastime but it does not mean we should follow that type of example. As Zag fans it'd be best if our board reflected the demeanor of the Zag program in the comments we make. In good part the Zags are such a successful program due to the high quality of the program in its interactions with its own players, other teams/schools, the Spokane community, etc. It's really best if our board reflects that same high quality.

DixieZag
11-29-2018, 04:21 AM

Is that actually true?

I find that unbelievably depressing.

OTOH, some people on TV get paid $30 million to get fired and go away.

TV makes no sense.

bartruff1
11-29-2018, 05:21 AM
Is that actually true?

TV makes no sense.

No...TV...the media....politics ….make perfect sense in that they reflect the values of the people that choose them...people that find meaness and bullying and rudeness entertaining.... look at the way Walton insults and belittles his broadcast partner.... it all makes sense unfortunately...

TexasZagFan
11-29-2018, 05:26 AM
Is that actually true?

TV makes no sense.

According to Forbes, here are the top 5 for 2018:

1. Judy $147 million
2. Ellen $87.5
3. Dr. Phil $77.5
4. Ryan Seachrest $74
5. Steve Harvey $44

They probably pocket less than half that, after the feds and states get their piece of the action.

Birddog
11-29-2018, 05:39 AM
Is that actually true?

TV makes no sense.

I believe that figure is for this past year. She made about 100M selling rights to re runs IIRC

Edit: here is the story
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/11/26/highest-paid-tv-hosts-judge-judy-ellen-rule-over-television/2121027002/

GoZags
11-29-2018, 06:05 AM
..... As Zag fans it'd be best if our board reflected the demeanor of the Zag program in the comments we make. In good part the Zags are such a successful program due to the high quality of the program in its interactions with its own players, other teams/schools, the Spokane community, etc. It's really best if our board reflects that same high quality.

Well put, and echos my belief

gozagswoohoo
11-29-2018, 06:19 AM
According to Forbes, here are the top 5 for 2018:

1. Judy $147 million
2. Ellen $87.5
3. Dr. Phil $77.5
4. Ryan Seachrest $74
5. Steve Harvey $44

They probably pocket less than half that, after the feds and states get their piece of the action.

That's INCREDIBLE that she makes nearly twice what Ellen makes....?!?!?!

northsidezagfan
11-29-2018, 06:58 AM
That's INCREDIBLE that she makes nearly twice what Ellen makes....?!?!?!

I saw that article too, looks like she makes $47 million a year but this year was more because she sold the rights to her show to CBS for $100 million. Regardless, crazy money.

johno
11-29-2018, 08:37 AM
Could someone please post that link on how to sync radio to the TV?

Zagceo
11-29-2018, 08:41 AM
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/icons/icon1.png Bill Walton Avoidance PSA

If you want to avoid hearing Walton (or whichever announcer is doing the TV audio):

Go to https://tunein.com/
Install the free app/program on your phone, computer, or both
Search "gonzaga IMG" and stream the audio from Morrison and Hudson, with the TV muted

If the Radio/Tunein Audio is a few seconds ahead of the TV visuals, just hit the "pause" button on the radio for a few seconds to allow the feeds to synchronize or vice versa

johno
11-29-2018, 10:30 AM
Thanks CEO. I'll give it a try.

Rangerzag
12-03-2018, 05:12 AM
https://twitter.com/JPBlanchette/status/1069438013552263168

John Blanchette @JPBlanchette

Bill Walton at the LMU-UCLA game: “Petr Herman, Czech Republic. Largest beer consumption per capita in the world.”

Anne Marie Anderson: “You’re talking about the Czech Republic and not Petr Herman, right?"

7:47 PM - 2 Dec 2018

bigblahla
12-03-2018, 05:38 AM
Ah c'mon, if you're a Jeopardy fan you might get an answer from Walton during a broadcast.... for me this is poetic justice as he tries to maintain the conference of champions line as the Zags grind the Fuskies into dust.... more like the conference of chumps when it comes to Men's basketball in 2018.... definitely a down year for the Pac 12...

just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-03-2018, 05:46 AM
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/icons/icon1.png Bill Walton Avoidance PSA

If you want to avoid hearing Walton (or whichever announcer is doing the TV audio):

Search "gonzaga IMG" and stream the audio from Morrison and Hudson, with the TV muted

If the Radio/Tunein Audio is a few seconds ahead of the TV visuals, just hit the "pause" button on the radio for a few seconds to allow the feeds to synchronize or vice versa

Thanks Zagceo! I'm going to give this a try Wednesday night.

maynard g krebs
12-03-2018, 12:09 PM
Ah c'mon, if you're a Jeopardy fan you might get an answer from Walton during a broadcast.... for me this is poetic justice as he tries to maintain the conference of champions line as the Zags grind the Fuskies into dust.... more like the conference of chumps when it comes to Men's basketball in 2018.... definitely a down year for the Pac 12...

just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

I watched about 3/4 of the UCLA-LMU game last night. Walton was extremely complimentary to the Zags on at least 3 or 4 occasions. Basically said they dominated Duke and were the superior team.

ProVeeZag
12-03-2018, 01:22 PM
https://twitter.com/JPBlanchette/status/1069438013552263168

I thought Anne Marie Anderson stole much of Walton's "thunder" during the LMU/UCLA game with her very witty comebacks. Plus I liked her voice...would love to have her do a GU game with anyone other than Bill (that's Bill with 2 "L's").

MDABE80
12-03-2018, 02:25 PM
I agree. Comments were learned and on point. She's got a good future in this announcer game.

sittingon50
12-05-2018, 10:59 AM
For those of you that LIKE Walton (like me), I would appreciate if you post his best lines from tonight in this thread.

I get to go to the game tonight, so will miss his broadcast.

sage
12-05-2018, 11:05 AM
I can't believe people still misquote Walton all the time.

He did not say "conference of champions" He SAID "pac 12, breakfast of champions". Get it right already.....

Mantua
12-05-2018, 12:01 PM
I was looking forward to a break from listening to the local three, but geez! Listening to Walton is not a break, it’s a monsterous annoyance. I can never get the sync right to listen to Hudson and rewind a lot during games. The radio show needs to be recorded on a stable platform.

White lightning
12-05-2018, 12:20 PM
For those of you that LIKE Walton (like me), I would appreciate if you post his best lines from tonight in this thread.

I get to go to the game tonight, so will miss his broadcast.I've never been to a game and really dred listening to Walton. Maybe we can meet up for for a ticket exchange and you can listen to Walton and I'll see an awesome game. Win- win for all. :) :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bartruff1
12-05-2018, 01:21 PM

I get to go to the game tonight, so will miss his broadcast.

He said,...... what is your name....I love Gonzaga...….I love Spokane...….I love Mark Few.....the Davenport is the best …. have you been to China....what is your name again.....I was going to bring my bike but there is snow....I love my bike....I love the snow....have you even been to Casablanca ???......the Huskies are no match.....what was your name.....I have to pee again... do you know about the Columbia Basin Basalt Flows.....about the Bretz Floods..... Bing Crosby went to school here....I love White Christmass….

ProVeeZag
12-05-2018, 02:43 PM
He said,...... what is your name....I love Gonzaga...….I love Spokane...….I love Mark Few.....the Davenport is the best …. have you been to China....what is your name again.....I was going to bring my bike but there is snow....I love my bike....I love the snow....have you even been to Casablanca ???......the Huskies are no match.....what was your name.....I have to pee again... do you know about the Columbia Basin Basalt Flows.....about the Bretz Floods..... Bing Crosby went to school here....I love White Christmass….

And this old standby: "Throw it down, Big Man" If he's talking about Rui or Clark, I hope he sez this a lot tonight.

seacatfan
12-05-2018, 03:12 PM
You almost nailed it Bart, but no Grateful Dead reference. Gotta work it in early and often. Probably name drop Coach Wooden as well.

hockeyzag
12-05-2018, 03:23 PM

HUGELY appreciated Zagceo.

ProVeeZag
12-05-2018, 03:47 PM
Hey hockeyzag, regarding the signature you use on your posts attributed to Wayne Gretzky, I think it should be slightly altered to read:

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
-Zach Norvell Jr.

ZN and Gretzky appear to have the same mentality when it comes to shooting!

RenoZag
12-05-2018, 04:43 PM
From Dave Pasch's Twitter Account

After 9 months of separation/therapy...it’s time for that long, strange trip to begin once again. Tomorrow night, Washington at #1 Gonzaga. I’m ready for his bull sit.

https://twitter.com/DavePasch/status/1070107791187075073

And from ESPN Front Row: https://www.espnfrontrow.com/2018/12/no-1-gonzaga-is-the-setting-for-pasch-and-walton-to-reunite-for-another-year-of-frivolity-and-free-throws/

Part of my routine to prepare for Bill is to ponder any non-basketball related information that may come up during the broadcast, whether it be about solar power, volcanic formations, great moments in Arbor Day history or recent Grateful Dead concerts in the area. You never know who is listening, and considering Bill has received in game text messages from everyone from Larry Bird to Mick Fleetwood, you have to be ready to discuss, redirect, or just plain ignore the arbitrary and insane.

RenoZag
12-05-2018, 06:02 PM
The Bill Walton Broadcast Drinking Game

Take a sip whenever Bill mentions:

The Grateful Dead
John Wooden
Maui
The Conference of Champions
His bike
Recreational marijuana

Double sip- if he mentions Aloysius Gonzaga

White lightning
12-05-2018, 06:05 PM

The Grateful Dead
John Wooden
Maui
His bike
Recreational marijuana

Double sip- if he mentions Aloysius GonzagaOr when he asks have you been to ????

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bballbeachbum
12-05-2018, 06:29 PM

The Grateful Dead
John Wooden
Maui
His bike
Recreational marijuana

Double sip- if he mentions Aloysius Gonzaga

could be dangerous

zagdontzig
12-05-2018, 07:36 PM
Why did Walton just punch Spike?

gonzagafan62
12-05-2018, 07:50 PM
Saying you’d take pasch and Walton over heister fox and Dickau is the pet that is absurd. Absolutely absurd. At least our home cooked guys tell us who the fouls is on. Tell us what’s gping on with the game. Walton never does. It’s super annoying. Not sure what his purpose is. The only time our guys don’t is when the game is over

hockeyzag
12-05-2018, 07:54 PM
Hey hockeyzag, regarding the signature you use on your posts attributed to Wayne Gretzky, I think it should be slightly altered to read:

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
-Zach Norvell Jr.

ZN and Gretzky appear to have the same mentality when it comes to shooting!

Love that idea!

Birddog
12-05-2018, 07:58 PM
This is one of Bill's better performances and I'm not a fan.

gonzagafan62
12-05-2018, 07:59 PM
This is one of Bill's better performances and I'm not a fan.

Has bill even talked about the game at all? Lol

ProVeeZag
12-05-2018, 08:03 PM
Love that idea!

:clap::clap::clap:

ProVeeZag
12-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Has bill even talked about the game at all? Lol

He did say "throw it down, Rui" once. Other than that, precious little.

gonzagafan62
12-05-2018, 08:33 PM
He did say "throw it down, Rui" once. Other than that, precious little.

Pretty pathetic

seacatfan
12-05-2018, 09:07 PM
I do have to say, as far as Walton goes he wasn't that bad tonight.

Birddog
12-05-2018, 09:13 PM
"Lots of greenhouses in the Inland Northwest, lot's of green things growing inside" or words to that effect.

rawkmandale
12-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Walton was pretty entertaining, and I appreciated his references to Spokane icons. Apparently, nobody reminded him of Gerry Lindgren, whom he should know well. Also, Jud Heathcoat. But, seeing him travel around a city that he hadn't been in for 20 years was kewl, and probably eye-opening for Bill himself.

jimmycarter
12-05-2018, 09:21 PM
“Someone should tell them that Chrisp is left-handed, and promises to remain so for the rest of the game.”
That and the refrain of “someone save us from ourselves.”
I don’t mind the occasional dose of Walton...

RenoZag
12-05-2018, 09:21 PM
He kept saying Washington hadn't beaten GU in 74 years. . .Pasch gave up trying to correct him. He seemed to enjoy the Kennel and the atmosphere.

NEC26
12-05-2018, 09:23 PM
He was his usual terrible self. With slightly more focus on the game with no insight only superlatives and absurdness.

zag67
12-05-2018, 09:25 PM
I also say for Walton I thought it was very good

CDC84
12-05-2018, 09:28 PM
I am just glad it is finally over (for this year anyway).

bartruff1
12-05-2018, 09:31 PM
I also say for Walton I thought it was very good

I did too...his concern for Tillie is well advised.....

CDC84
12-05-2018, 10:41 PM
Even the worst stoners I've known have been able to occasionally come up with some pearls of wisdom. Unfortunately, those occasional pearls of wisdom led to them hitting the bong twice as much as before, believing it would lead to even more pearls of wisdom.

Outraged
12-05-2018, 11:40 PM
Well they were more entertaing than this game. They were so bored. He is more of a rainbow commentator.

bartruff1
12-06-2018, 06:23 AM
I don't listen closely but I think I heard him say...." a Larry Craig wide stance "...…..no way that could have been a spontaneous comment …..could it ? I mean, who has thoughts like that in their brain....

Birddog
12-06-2018, 06:32 AM
I don't listen closely but I think I heard him say...." a Larry Craig wide stance "...…..no way that could have been a spontaneous comment …..could it ? I mean, who has thoughts like that in their brain....

I thought that is what he said too. No telling how Walton's brain functions.

bartruff1
12-06-2018, 06:35 AM
I thought that is what he said too. No telling how Walton's brain functions.

I imagine most people have no idea who Larry Craig is.....or that he was not playing basketball when he used that defense..;)

Or that it didn't work....only Wild Bill could come up with that....

Birddog
12-06-2018, 06:50 AM
I imagine most people have no idea who Larry Craig is.....or that he was not playing basketball when he used that defense..;)

Or that it didn't work....only Wild Bill could come up with that....

I'm sure Pasch had no clue what he was referencing. I had to think a bit to get it but then I was caught up in the action of the game. Would you call the Larry Craig stance a stalling tactic?

BayAreaZagFan
12-06-2018, 07:04 AM
I thought he was fine, or at least much better than Maui. He's entertaining, and when he does talk about the game, he makes some decent points. He was definitely all-GU for the most part of the game, and didn't pull out the "conference of champions" stuff until Washington got back in it in the second half. Other games I've seen him on, he's been totally Pac-10 all game long, regardless of what is going on on the court. I think he was being very respectful of the #1 ranking. Even when Pasch asked him flat-out if he thought the team he saw looked like the best team in the nation, he gave a respectful answer when he could have blasted them, like some other color commentators would have.

willandi
12-06-2018, 07:16 AM
My preference is for a play-by-play guy and a color guy, even though I am watching. I have trouble hearing and the captioning is always hit or miss and behind what is being said.

With Walton we get neither. No play by play and very little color commentary about the game. Lots of anecdotes and crap, but I would watch a sitcom if I wanted humor. I am choosing to watch a basketball game.

I don't like Walton. Can you tell?

DixieZag
12-06-2018, 07:19 AM
My preference is for a play-by-play guy and a color guy, even though I am watching. I have trouble hearing and the captioning is always hit or miss and behind what is being said.

With Walton we get neither. No play by play and very little color commentary about the game. Lots of anecdotes and crap, but I would watch a sitcom if I wanted humor. I am choosing to watch a basketball game.

I don't like Walton. Can you tell?

Thing is, I suspect I'd really like him over a few beers back at the Davenport. It's just during the game, some of the stuff that would be so fascinating to talk about back at the bar gets in the way of a game I care about. If I don't care about the game at all, I love him.

Zagger
12-06-2018, 07:28 AM
I thought he was fine, or at least much better than Maui. He's entertaining, and when he does talk about the game, he makes some decent points. He was definitely all-GU for the most part of the game, and didn't pull out the "conference of champions" stuff until Washington got back in it in the second half. Other games I've seen him on, he's been totally Pac-10 all game long, regardless of what is going on on the court. I think he was being very respectful of the #1 ranking. Even when Pasch asked him flat-out if he thought the team he saw looked like the best team in the nation, he gave a respectful answer when he could have blasted them, like some other color commentators would have.

It's gotta be tough being a Walton sidekick during a game! Pasch got a workout!
I actually like Walton. Although I'd certainly cringe if he were to be working a few Zags games. I think if Walton got paired up with the right co-announcer together they could be both very entertaining and informative. I wonder who Walton would pair up best with????

Robzagnut
12-06-2018, 07:29 AM
You can tell Walton enjoys touring the cities/areas he visits and learns the history of the region. It's cool if you're a fan of that team's city as he is a great ambassador. Not so much, if you're a fan of the other team or neither team. He reminds me of Dickie V. where he has become a celebrity among the students and fans.

I liked his gem about Spokane being close to 76 lakes. I thought it was only 50ish.

He's still the best college basketball player I've ever watched. His ability to spin mid rebound and make the outlet pass to a guard was pure magic. The guy was a point center. And his 44 points on 21-of-22 shooting in the national championship game Memphis St was one of the greatest sports performances I've ever seen.

johno
12-06-2018, 08:16 AM

I actually laughed out loud when he said that. Now did he have that line prepared and the situation presented itself or did it just come out of his acid driven brain? I have to admit he was entertaining tonight and talked up Spokane and the Zags, whereas I had to mute the end of his game in Maui.

bartruff1
12-06-2018, 08:22 AM
I'm sure Pasch had no clue what he was referencing. I had to think a bit to get it but then I was caught up in the action of the game. Would you call the Larry Craig stance a stalling tactic?

You have no shame.....;)

caldwellzag
12-06-2018, 08:29 AM
I actually laughed out loud when he said that. Now did he have that line prepared and the situation presented itself or did it just come out of his acid driven brain? I have to admit he was entertaining tonight and talked up Spokane and the Zags, whereas I had to mute the end of his game in Maui.

When I heard him make the Larry Craig comment I laughed out loud as well. There are probably very few people that can get away with making that comment in today's society and Walton is one of them. He was better than normal, but does he know anything about basketball! He played for John Wooden and still acts like he has not clue about the game sometimes. "That's the best pass I have seen all season" really it was good, but pretty basic pass. "Best shot taken by him tonight." Yeah it's the only one he has made. The dude is crazy! Pasch was getting tired of working with him, I loved when he was talking about TSA and Pasch was like we are not flying together and Walton wanted to know where he was going and he would not say. Classic!

This was good though.

https://twitter.com/BarstoolReags/status/1070538133601705984

Birddog
12-06-2018, 08:30 AM
It's gotta be tough being a Walton sidekick during a game! Pasch got a workout!
I actually like Walton. Although I'd certainly cringe if he were to be working a few Zags games. I think if Walton got paired up with the right co-announcer together they could be both very entertaining and informative. I wonder who Walton would pair up best with????

Hunter S Thompson, but that won't work now.

CarolinaZagFan
12-06-2018, 08:33 AM
I may hate Bill Walton even more than Dave Pasch does. As much as I despise both of them I would love for ESPN to pair up Walton and Dickie V for one game. Like a train wreck, I couldn’t help but watch it just to see how little of the game on the court they discuss.

caldwellzag
12-06-2018, 08:34 AM
I may hate Bill Walton even more than Dave Pasch does. As much as I despise both of them I would love for ESPN to pair up Walton and Dickie V for one game. Like a train wreck, I couldn’t help but watch it just to see how little of the game on the court they discuss.

+1 It would be like a train wreck that is for sure, but one of those train wrecks you can't help but watch.

bartruff1
12-06-2018, 08:37 AM
Thompson might still work....I am not sure he needs a straight man...Is it real or is it memorex ???.....maybe it is all a production and everyone on the crew is in on it including Pasch..

I doubt these guys fly commercial...depends on where they are going if they fly on the same plane or not...

Birddog
12-06-2018, 08:37 AM
You can tell Walton enjoys touring the cities/areas he visits and learns the history of the region. It's cool if you're a fan of that team's city as he is a great ambassador. Not so much, if you're a fan of the other team or neither team. He reminds me of Dickie V. where he has become a celebrity among the students and fans.

I liked his gem about Spokane being close to 76 lakes. I thought it was only 50ish.

He's still the best college basketball player I've ever watched. His ability to spin mid rebound and make the outlet pass to a guard was pure magic. The guy was a point center. And his 44 points on 21-of-22 shooting in the national championship game Memphis St was one of the greatest sports performances I've ever seen.

IIRC we always used to say seventy something lakes within an hours drive of Spokane. That was a C of C promotion.

CarolinaZagFan
12-06-2018, 08:39 AM
+1 It would be like a train wreck that is for sure, but one of those train wrecks you can't help but watch.

ESPN really dropped the ball. UCLA-Notre Dame Saturday would’ve been perfect for the worst commentated game in history.

Robzagnut
12-06-2018, 09:01 AM

Yes, you did...

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/bill-walton-larry-craig-wide-stance-washington-gonzaga.html

Fittingly enough, from AwfulAnnouncing.com.

sittingon50
12-06-2018, 11:38 AM

:clap:

Gotta' figure out a way to work that into my signature line!!

ProVeeZag
12-06-2018, 02:48 PM
I think if Walton got paired up with the right co-announcer together they could be both very entertaining and informative. I wonder who Walton would pair up best with????

I think we already saw it during the UCLA-LMU game last Sunday. Anne Marie Anderson was excellent both in her own right and as a capable foil to Crazy Bill. She had a few quick comebacks that left Walton speechless (well, for about 2 seconds anyway!). Just think if she was the "voice of the Zags". Well, one can dream...:pray:

Link: https://twitter.com/annemanderson