5m5 minutes ago
    More Jim Meehan Retweeted Dave Pasch
    Pasch and Walton calling GU-UW

Dave Pasch

Verified account

@DavePasch
    Follow Follow @DavePasch
    More Dave Pasch Retweeted Carl A. Martinez
    We have two games next week. Washington at Gonzaga on Wednesday & Notre Dame at UCLA next Saturday. Lots of therapy until & in between.
  • bartruff1
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

What a travesty …..

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
      Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
      • Feb 2007

Oh cool, I was needing to give my ears a good bleeding next week.
      Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
        Banned
        • Feb 2007

Comment

• 229SintoZag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
          Oh cool, I was needing to give my ears a good bleeding next week.
          While Walton can be annoying the criticism of him on this board has become absurd.

He had many many good complimentary things to say about the Zags and Few and our program in Maui. If you’re expecting him to tell you what’s happening on the floor he’s not your guy. Otherwise he is fine and occasionally spins a good yarn.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
            Banned
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
            While Walton can be annoying the criticism of him on this board has become absurd.

He had many many good complimentary things to say about the Zags and Few and our program in Maui. If you’re expecting him to tell you what’s happening on the floor he’s not your guy. Otherwise he is fine and occasionally spins a good yarn.
            it's not on this board, it's on every board imaginable. I read beardownwildcats while he was doing our game and they hated him as much if not more than we did. He's a clown and a caricature of himself. it's insulting to basketball fans worldwide to allow this guy to "broadcast" games.

Comment

• Zagceo
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2013

have you been to any other boards?

Comment

• tinfoilzag
                Zag for Life
                • Jun 2009

I hope he finishes his documentary on the Hawaiian Islands that was interrupted by the basketball game last week.
                The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• zaguarxj
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Ok, then let's see what a professional sports writer for the Spokesman Review has to say: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...aga-when-he-w/

There is no level of criticism of Walton on this board that is too absurd. I'm sure he is a fine person and I'd love to go on a bike ride with him and talk about volcanoes but he is an awful, terrible, putrid, annoying basketball announcer.

Comment

• Markburn1
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2015

Why is it when I hear Walton's name I always think of Tom Petty's "You Don't Know How it Feels"?

But let me get to the point, let's roll another joint
                    And turn the radio loud, I'm too alone to be proud
                    You don't know how it feels
                    You don't know how it feels to be me

To be clear, I LOVED Walton's game. The NCAAs against Memphis was epic. That Portland team was right up there with the best in the history of the NBA.

Comment

• GoZags
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

I'd take Pasch and Walton over Heister and Dickau all day long.

I'd also sub Richard Fox for Walton .... that'd be (Pasch/Fox) in my opinion a MUCH better team of announcers than any other combo of those 5 guys
                      sigpic
                      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                      ——-
                      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Birddog
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post

I'd also sub Richard Fox for Walton .... that'd be (Pasch/Fox) in my opinion a MUCH better team of announcers than any other combo of those 5 guys
                        Agree with that!
                        Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                        Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                        All mimsy were the borogoves,
                        And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post

No way, and I am not a fan of the latter two much at all. The thing is Pasch, with another color guy is fine, but when they pair him up with Walton, BW just leads him astray on random tangents too easily.

Comment

• CDC84
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

For me Heister and Fox are good as a duo. I think Fox is a very good color analyst. Understands the game well and explains it well to TV viewers. Moreover, when he's with Heister alone, he keeps Heister in check. I mean, I would rather have a different play by play guy than Heister, but the Heister/Fox duo works for me.

I have never been a big fan of Dickau's. For one thing, having two TV color analysts during a broadcast is one too many. Just not enough space. But I just don't like his voice on the air. He stutters and things don't always come out smoothly. Just doesn't have a good announcing voice. It is hard to explain.

For me Walton is the worst TV sports color analyst I have ever heard in the history of sports. That's ANY sport, anywhere in the world. He could hate Gonzaga (which he doesn't) and I wouldn't even care. I don't even care about his
                            "Conference of Champions" hype about the Pac 12. I just think he lacks professionalism. He doesn't prepare for his broadcasts, and because of it, he has to fill the space with discussion that has nothing to do with the game. He makes declarations and puts forth opinions that are not backed by any data and understanding of the subject. He's just a total clown. And he has a lousy sense of humor. I don't think that a color analyst needs to be dry and boring. Fran Fraschilla isn't dry and boring, but man, you can learn so much about the game of basketball during one of his broadcasts. During his Big 12 games, he attends every practice, talks to all of the coaches and players and comes in prepared. And he's a former coach without a background in journalism.

Thankfully there is a mute button. The only thing I hate is that I have to turn it off if a player gets hurt or if there is something going on with the refs at the monitor that I cannot understand without having the sound on.

The worst thing that Walton says during games - and he says it at least once a broadcast - is how the officials should "just let the kids play." I bet he didn't think that back when he played at UCLA when he was getting foul calls if a feather touched him. And when he says it near the end of games it's even worse, because a game should be officiated no differently at the 12:47 mark in the first half as it is at the 10 second mark in the 2nd half with the game tied at 72.

Comment

• seacatfan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2014

If you’re expecting him to tell you what’s happening on the floor he’s not your guy.
                              I can't understand how anyone gives him a free pass on this issue. That literally is his job. If he's not doing that, why the hell is he there?

Comment

Working...
                              X