How can you tell if someone is a grad transfer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

How can you tell if someone is a grad transfer?

I honestly am not surer how to figure out the criteria. For example, this kid is from Federal Way, Washington. This is his 3rd season, but it says that he's a senior. So would he be eligible to be a grad transfer? if so, I wouldn't mind him filling in for ZN for a year if Zach comes out this year.

View the profile of South Dakota Coyotes Forward Trey Burch-Manning on ESPN. Get the latest news, live stats and game highlights.
  • Marcus
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2013

Trey Burch-Manning (12) Forward - 2018-19 Named Second Team All-Summit League … played in 26 games making 24 starts … averaged 11.1 points and a team-best 6.2

Looks like he played at a Jr College his freshman year and this is his 3rd at UofSD, so no he wouldn't be eligible. Players are usually listed as RS Jr if they would be eligible for a grad transfer but there is no way of knowing if they have earned enough credits to graduate or intend too graduate and transfer without they themselves announcing it or making it public knowledge.

Comment

• MileHigh
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
      I honestly am not surer how to figure out the criteria. For example, this kid is from Federal Way, Washington. This is his 3rd season, but it says that he's a senior. So would he be eligible to be a grad transfer? if so, I wouldn't mind him filling in for ZN for a year if Zach comes out this year.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-burch-manning
      The "class"on college basketball rosters generally means where they stand eligibility wise, not school wise. The kid you mentioned played one year of JUCO and 3 years at USD. Hes done after this season.
      Look for kids that are listed as "RS Junior" to be candidates for a grad transfer

Comment

• seacatfan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2014

RS Jr. is usually a good place to start, but wouldn't have identified someone like Jordan Mathews who earned his undergrad degree in 3 years.

Quite frankly, barring injury, it's not a good idea to RS players anymore. I know GU has used it very effectively for years, but now it just means you risk losing a player as a grad transfer.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
          Banned
          • Feb 2007

Thanks guys for the replies. Does it actually say "redshirt junior" on ESPN under the players class?

Comment

• ZagzKrak
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Apr 2016

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
            Thanks guys for the replies. Does it actually say "redshirt junior" on ESPN under the players class?
            check ZN's to see if it shows RS So.

edit: I looked and it doesn't look like they show RS on their site

Comment

• Zagceo
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2013

Zach Norvell Jr. (23) Guard - REDSHIRT SOPHOMORE (2018-19) Appeared in 37 games…started in 36…averaging 30.7 minutes per game…leads team with 97 3-pointers…first

Redshirt Sophomore

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                Banned
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
                Thank you. But I was specifically talking about ESPN and how to find out who grad transfers would be. I'm trying to figure out a way to decipher who could potential he be a grad transfer for next year at the point

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post

Quite frankly, barring injury, it's not a good idea to RS players anymore. I know GU has used it very effectively for years, but now it just means you risk losing a player as a grad transfer.

Seems to me that GU losing a significant player to grad trans is unlikely. Those guys are usually moving up, like Geno, or laterally, if they're good. The players GU has lost as grad transfers went to Long Beach and Portland State, and neither were key players for the Zags.

As to redshirting, I think the issue is with redshirting a guy who won't be there for 5 years anyway (Rui). In that sense, Norvell's RS may turn out to be a waste.

To me, the issue w/ grad transfers is that it hurts low/mid majors who put time and effort into developing under the radar guys and lose them as seniors.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Little early with this one ---Probably a better shot towards the end of the school year -- as there will be a ton more options/announcements from players leaving their programs.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                      Little early with this one ---Probably a better shot towards the end of the school year -- as there will be a ton more options/announcements from players leaving their programs.
                      No, I agree. I was just wondering if there was a way to determine who would be eligible if they so choose. But I don't think there is.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Try this -- not sure how up to date it is

Comment

• DZ
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                          Seems to me that GU losing a significant player to grad trans is unlikely. Those guys are usually moving up, like Geno, or laterally, if they're good. The players GU has lost as grad transfers went to Long Beach and Portland State, and neither were key players for the Zags.

As to redshirting, I think the issue is with redshirting a guy who won't be there for 5 years anyway (Rui). In that sense, Norvell's RS may turn out to be a waste.

To me, the issue w/ grad transfers is that it hurts low/mid majors who put time and effort into developing under the radar guys and lose them as seniors.
                          Yes, it does seem to impact the small to mids' more, and especially those programs that do a great job developing kids.

Yet, it is one of the few "ace in the hole's" that players have to get into a better situation, and to me, given the coaches' mobility, I wouldn't want them to lose that privilege.

To me, a kid fulfills his requirement by showing up and graduating in 3-4 years. If he has a year of eligibility and wants to attend a different grad school, let them go, as harmful as it is to some programs. I would also think that the programs that got our guys w/ transfers are likely happy.
                          Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                          Mark Twain.

Comment

• seacatfan
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2014

I was referring to the practice of RS in general, not just at GU. I mentioned GU specifically because they used to RS quite a few players, but seems like they've had much fewer voluntary RS in recent years.

Comment

• White lightning
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2017

They are usually not from Kentucky.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X