PDA

View Full Version : Creighton Pre-Game Media, Info, fan forums, etc.

RenoZag
11-26-2018, 08:50 PM
All Creighton, All the Time: https://whiteandbluereview.com/category/mens-basketball/

Fan Forum: http://www.bluejayunderground.com/viewforum.php?f=8

Coverage of Creighton's Cayman Islands Championship run: https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/11/22/creighton-basketball-biggest-takeaways-from-cayman-islands-classic-championship-run/

Creighton Athletic Dept Official Website: https://gocreighton.com/index.aspx?path=mbb

Creighton MBB Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/bluejaymbb?lang=en

Creighton MBB: Espn Home Page http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/156/creighton-bluejays

FWIW, the Omaha World-Herald sits behind a paywall, so no coverage from the local fishwrap. . .

Have a great week !

raise the zag
11-26-2018, 08:53 PM
Thanks Reno.

Give credit to Creighton for abiding by the old adage, "one game at a time".

After reading their board, they are solely focused on the upcoming Montana game this Weds.

Lots of mentions of Montana very little of Gonzaga.

I'm impressed.

You can tell they are a bball school, and Jesuit to boot.

RenoZag
11-27-2018, 11:20 AM
http://www.cdapress.com/sports/20181127/gonzaga_is_now_officially_the_hunted

Creighton was a preseason pick to finish ninth in the Big East, but Greg McDermott’s bunch has already made that prediction look ridiculous.

The Blue Jays are 5-1 at the moment (the loss was a thriller at Ohio State) and have won an ocean tournament of their own, stunning No. 16 Clemson 87-82 to capture the Cayman Islands Classic.

Soph guard Ty-Shon Alexander scored 36 points in that title game, and appears to be one of the country’s breakout stars.

Akzag
11-27-2018, 07:10 PM
Bump

23dpg
11-29-2018, 09:26 AM
Bump

Set

TheZagPhish
11-29-2018, 09:39 AM
Creighton have to contain fast-paced GU (https://www.creightonian.com/sports/article_d669323c-f2bf-11e8-9a53-07cccd356e05.html)

So, how can Creighton win? As unlikely as it is, it’s still possible that the Jays could pull off the upset. The Bluejays have been one of the best three-point shooting teams in the country so far this season, shooting 45 percent from behind the arc. This ranks sixth in the NCAA. If Creighton is going to beat Gonzaga, they will need to shoot lights out from behind the arc.

They’ll also need to limit the turnovers. Gonzaga has one of the most efficient offenses in college basketball, so giving them extra possessions will be a recipe for disaster. Creighton has had trouble in this aspect so far this season, averaging 14 turnovers a game.

CDC84
11-29-2018, 10:11 AM
As much as GU is missing Killian Tillie, the various articles and soundbites that proclaim him to be GU's first or second best player are over the top. I think Norvell, Hachimura, and Clarke are clearly ahead of him. Killian has yet to really show any consistency in his game throughout his career so far. Doesn't mean it cannot change, but in the past he's been the kind of dude where he can have one game where he goes for 28 and hits 7 threes, and then the next game he will score 3 points and foul out in 15 minutes. Norvell is GU's most vocal leader, a fierce competitor, plays with great toughness and has a habit of making big plays in big moments. And he's willing to take the big shot. Clarke is crazy athletic, about the toughest player GU has had since Casey Calvary, is more skilled than many people realize, is an elite college post defender for his size, and is simply one of the most innately gifted shot blockers in the past 25 years of college basketball. Rui, well, is going to be a 2019 lottery pick and is a total stud on offense.

hockeyzag
11-29-2018, 10:15 AM
As much as GU is missing Killian Tillie, the various articles and soundbites that proclaim him to be GU's first or second best player are over the top. I think Norvell, Hachimura, and Clarke are clearly ahead of him. Killian has yet to really show any consistency in his game throughout his career so far. Doesn't mean it cannot change, but in the past he's been the kind of dude where he can have one game where he goes for 28 and hits 7 threes, and then the next game he will score 3 points and foul out in 15 minutes. Norvell is GU's most vocal leader, a fierce competitor, plays with great toughness and has a habit of making big plays in big moments. And he's willing to take the big shot. Clarke is crazy athletic, about the toughest player GU has had since Casey Calvary, is more skilled than many people realize, is an elite college post defender for his size, and is simply one of the most innately gifted shot blockers in the past 25 years of college basketball. Rui, well, is going to be a 2019 lottery pick and is a total stud on offense.

Agree 100%

raise the zag
11-29-2018, 10:33 AM

Great post. Too true.

I think Rui is headed for a Top 5 pick.

One NBA scout recently said he is a better Danny Granger (pre injury)

raise the zag
11-29-2018, 10:36 AM
Does Creighton's message board know we play this Saturday?

All is quiet on the Omaha front...

krozman
11-29-2018, 10:50 AM

I noticed this as well. When GU was in their relative position on the power scale years back we still talked a ton about the games we were doomed to lose. Guess that says more about us.

Zagger
11-29-2018, 10:51 AM

I agree too, excepting that I think KT's time on the bench this fall and how well his teammates are doing is going to be a VERY high motivator in getting Tillie to play his butt off. It's kind of like the team is leaving him behind. Also, I think it'll be much less of a 'chore' to get back in the groove of playing excellent basketball for Killian being that the team is not overly dependant on him getting back on the court. By that I mean there's not as much 'weight on his shoulders' to get back and 'carry' the team. Getting back on the court should have a good 'fun to responsibility' ratio - be less stressful than if he were the key player on a team that really needed him back for the team to have good success. With Killian back and playing well is going to be icing on an already tasty cake. I feel Killian will really want to add to the mix and share in the glory. If he does it'll make playing tough teams a bit more enjoyable for all of the Zags. If I'm right, I think we may see the best play yet out of KT at GU.

DixieZag
11-29-2018, 10:52 AM

The second fan forum listed, the BlueJay one has one thread on "If we can only win one of the next two ..." and note that they play Gonzaga and then immediately followed by Nebraska, and Nebraska is apparently not bad this year.

I hadn't really thought to consider that Creighton would have another game on the mind, I am not saying they'd "overlook" the number one team, but it doesn't hurt to have the BCS in-state rival play them next, a little like the UW in our sense, though it sounds as though Nebraska might be a little better, and Creighton not as big a fav, making that game quite important.

They won't overlook us, but if the team has the "We just need to win one of the two" attitude, perhaps they'd roll over a little easier. Doubt it, but ...

Zagger
11-29-2018, 10:58 AM
https://whiteandbluereview.com/post-game-notebook-sizzling-shooting-lifts-creighton-98-72-win-over-montana/
Sounds like they had some hot shooting against Montana. Good Zag D ought to disrupt that. Only a couple of days and we'll find out :)

bartruff1
11-29-2018, 11:22 AM
I have no idea if Tillie will ever play basketball at his pre injury level again....or for Gonzaga...but if he does, he will transform this team....

RenoZag
11-29-2018, 11:34 AM
Zags have an infamous history of getting destroyed by hot three-point shooters. . .here's hoping history doesn't repeat itself on Saturday

Goshzagit
11-29-2018, 12:00 PM
Zags have an infamous history of getting destroyed by hot three-point shooters. . .here's hoping history doesn't repeat itself on Saturday

Creighton tied for 3rd in 3pt% as a team.

Averaging 46.7% from deep.

Only 7 games in, yet 167 attempts, they are a LEGIT shooting team.

Gotta guard them, and close out and switch as efficiently as we can. Kispert has great instincts and hustle, but cannot afford to lose his man vs this Creighton squad, as all 5 can shoot unlike Duke, or anyone we've really played thus far.

sittingon50
11-29-2018, 12:49 PM
Well the Zag's just got good practice as ND St. lives by the 3 & the Zag's game plan was to run them off the 3 point line. Led to a few blow by's, but all-in-all mission accomplished.

Zagricultural
11-29-2018, 02:26 PM

Talent wise Tillie is the best. Best offensive player on the team, but his motor is the only question.

raise the zag
11-29-2018, 02:36 PM
Talent wise Tillie is the best. Best offensive player on the team, but his motor is the only question.

Fwiw, here was Tillie's stat line vs Creighton last season:

22 pts, 8 rebs, 3 asts, 3 blks.

:allhail:

That's a game folks! Not to mention he made ESPN Top 10 for 2 spectacular dunks in that match.

raise the zag
11-29-2018, 03:11 PM
This post on their board really gives you a sense of how far we've come:

A win over the Zags gets Creighton:

* A national ranking
* The attention of the college basketball world for 24-48 hours
* The highest-ranked win in program history
* A lifetime memory for every fan regardless of how the rest of the season turns out
* A key win for Selection Sunday (would probably only need 10 Big East wins for an at-large)

We are now considered a season changing, signature, even program changing win.

Link in the OP

It also tells you how big of a target we have on our backs. They will give it their best shot to beat us.

zagzilla
11-29-2018, 03:17 PM
From the "If you could only win one of the next two" thread on their board....

"I will be happy if we can win 1 of Gonzaga, Nebraska and Oklahoma. Those are 3 tough games. I'm thinking beating Gonzaga would be worth more though, it would essentially punch our ticket to the dance as long as we go .500 or better in the Big East imo."

My how times have changed. Gonzaga has become a marquee win instead of a bad loss. To be fair-beating Creighton in Omaha is a marquee win for us as well.

ZZ

Bogozags
11-29-2018, 08:04 PM
https://whiteandbluereview.com/post-game-notebook-sizzling-shooting-lifts-creighton-98-72-win-over-montana/
Sounds like they had some hot shooting against Montana. Good Zag D ought to disrupt that. Only a couple of days and we'll find out :)

I really loved our second half, switching defence in the second half on Monday against North Dakota...I think that is the type of defence we need to play as IMO it will throw off their shooting rhythm...their front court players are "young" so I believe we will have the advantage with our inside game...we just have to force them into shooting early in the clock and force an uptempo...I think this is going to be a high scoring game...

Zagger
11-30-2018, 02:45 AM
More GU vs Creighton reads ....

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/29/gonzagas-zach-norvell-jr-took-flight-with-big-half/

Norvell, an 80-percent free-throw shooter, clanked the freebie.

“The old Adam Morrison trick, missing the free throw,” cracked Few, implying that the missed shot kept the clock running and eliminated the opportunity to substitute. “Then he got another layup and I pulled Jeremy back because he was rolling.”

Norvell rolled up 21 points in the second half, the first glimpse at his unshakable confidence, as the Zags rallied from a 44-37 halftime deficit for a 91-74 victory. He followed it up with 22 points against Villanova in Madison Square Garden, 21 on the road against Washington and 19 versus visiting North Dakota.

https://gocreighton.com/news/2018/11/29/mens-basketball-hosts-no-1-gonzaga-on-Saturday.aspx
Full of stats ..... Photo topping the web page is Creighton in the Kennel.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-30-2018, 03:20 AM
Well the Zag's just got good practice as ND St. lives by the 3 & the Zag's game plan was to run them off the 3 point line. Led to a few blow by's, but all-in-all mission accomplished.

Agreed. Was this scheduling coincidence or strategy? ND State good gameplan prep for Creighton. Huge opportunity for Creighton’s program, and Zags will be even tougher after facing it and win pulling away

SWZag
11-30-2018, 08:09 AM
More GU vs Creighton reads ....

https://gocreighton.com/news/2018/11/29/mens-basketball-hosts-no-1-gonzaga-on-Saturday.aspx
Full of stats ..... Photo topping the web page is Creighton in the Kennel.

Great stuff at that link!!

Need to make it 6-4...

The Series With Gonzaga
Creighton is 6-3 all-time against Gonzaga in a series that dates to 1947. Creighton is 5-1 at home in the series all-time, including a 70-62 victory in the Zags' last trip to Omaha.
Greg McDermott is 0-1 against Gonzaga and Mark Few, and is 1-5 in his career against the current membership of the West Coast Conference (0-5 at Creighton).

Great stuff here. So nice to see Mark doing things for those who transfer out. I wonder how often that would happen in this day and age.

Thank Goodness For Gibbs
One of the players vital to Creighton's early success under Greg McDermott was guard Grant Gibbs.
Gibbs grew up idolizing Gonzaga grad John Stockton and spent two injury-plagued seasons at Gonzaga before transferring to Creighton not long after Greg McDermott was hired in 2010.
Gibbs sat out the 2010-11 season as a transfer before leading the Missouri Valley Conference in assists in both 2011-12 and 2012-13 for a pair of NCAA Tournament teams.
He then applied for a sixth year of eligibility, and thanks in part to a letter of recommendation from Mark Few, learned that appeal was approved on July 2nd.
Skeptical of Gibbs' potential return, the Jays had given out all of its scholarships in the spring, so teammate Doug McDermott gave up his scholarship to Gibbs, and McDermott immediately became the best walk-on in the history of mankind.
Gibbs ranks fourth in CU history with 498 assists as a Bluejay, including helpers on 199 three-pointers, 192 lay-ups, 44 dunks and 63 two-point shots outside the paint. Gibbs assisted on 241 of McDermott's baskets (including 122 lay-ups and 75 three-pointers), which led directly to 557 points from the coach's son.
Gibbs is currently an assistant coach with the Oklahoma City Blue, the G-League affiliate for the Oklahoma City Thunder.

sittingon50
11-30-2018, 10:57 AM
Don't know what Grant is up to now, but would be cool if he was at this game.

Loved that kid. Was always disappointed that it didn't work out for him in Spokane.

SWZag
11-30-2018, 11:58 AM
Don't know what Grant is up to now, but would be cool if he was at this game.

Loved that kid. Was always disappointed that it didn't work out for him in Spokane.

At the link it says that "Gibbs is currently an assistant coach with the Oklahoma City Blue, the G-League affiliate for the Oklahoma City Thunder."

More info:
Former Creighton standout Grant Gibbs named Oklahoma City G-League assistant coach (https://www.omaha.com/creighton/blog/former-creighton-standout-grant-gibbs-named-oklahoma-city-g-league/article_fd0bd91a-b073-11e7-b4c7-c31142c8b38b.html)

Oklahoma City Blue Media Guide: 2018-2019 (https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2018/11/18-19-Full-Guide.pdf)

sittingon50
11-30-2018, 12:10 PM
Thanks SW.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-30-2018, 02:27 PM
Great stuff at that link!!

Need to make it 6-4...

Great stuff here. So nice to see Mark doing things for those who transfer out. I wonder how often that would happen in this day and age.

Coach McDermott should return the favor and write a letter urging the NCAA to let Josh Perkins earn a sixth year of eligibility.

SWZag
11-30-2018, 02:41 PM
Coach McDermott should return the favor and write a letter urging the NCAA to let Josh Perkins earn a sixth year of eligibility.

:roll:

SWZag
11-30-2018, 02:43 PM
Interview with Coach McDermott and several players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abhB8vVMKac

If anyone needs something do on this Friday, enjoy watching last year's matchup in Spokane. Down at half to win big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pai0bVNqfdk

Spink
11-30-2018, 05:27 PM
Interview with Coach McDermott...had to stop after 2:42 ZAG not ZOG!

Will watch more later, when the kids go to bed. :)

23dpg
11-30-2018, 05:34 PM
Bump

Set

https://gozags.com/images/2018/6/25/Spike_Request_Header.jpg

Radbooks
11-30-2018, 05:44 PM
Couple of articles in the SR tonight:

Key matchup: Ty-Shon Alexander triggers Creighton’s offense (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/30/key-matchup-ty-shon-alexander-triggers-creightons-/)

Take the over: Gonzaga, Creighton putting up video game-like numbers on offense (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/30/take-the-over-gonzaga-creighton-putting-up-video-g/)

Gonzaga’s Zach Norvell Jr. took flight with big half against Creighton last year (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/29/gonzagas-zach-norvell-jr-took-flight-with-big-half/)

sittingon50
11-30-2018, 10:18 PM

:lmao:

White lightning
12-01-2018, 02:33 PM
I always like reading the game threads of the opponent. Creighton has a really classy fan base. I hope CU has a successful season and plays like they played GU. If so they will win a lot of games this season.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk