PDA

View Full Version : Geno Crandall out 4 to 6 weeks

RRZagFan
11-26-2018, 12:44 PM
Heard on Mark few radio show , he was injured yesterday in practice and out for a couple weeks,.

Ekrub
11-26-2018, 12:46 PM
Damn, this was his opportunity to start to mesh with team. With tillie and Crandall coming back around the same time we may be disjointed for a while.

Spink
Horrible news! Perk & Snacks 40 minutes for TN & UNC.

former1dog
Shoot!

Greg Foster and/or Ayayi are absolutely going to have to play some minutes whether they are ready or not. Perkins can not hold a high level of play to the end of the season playing 40 minutes a game.

zagbeliever
11-26-2018, 12:48 PM
Oh no! Heal quickly Geno!

RRZagFan
11-26-2018, 12:49 PM
They said wrist

WallaWallaZag
11-26-2018, 12:50 PM
really hurts guard depth, but maybe it allows crandall to take a step back and settle in...definitely felt like he was pressing a bit.

ZagsObserver
11-26-2018, 12:55 PM
Shoot!

Greg Foster and/or Ayayi are absolutely going to have to play some minutes whether they are ready or not. Perkins can not hold a high level of play to the end of the season playing 40 minutes a game.

Neither are close to being ready, but you are right, one will be needed. I guess Norvell could play point and Jones or Kispert could play the two?

ZagsObserver
11-26-2018, 12:57 PM
I guess this is yet another depth stress test...

ZagNative
11-26-2018, 12:58 PM
Heard on Mark few radio show , he was injured yesterday in practice and out for a couple weeks,.Darn! Why can't I remember to tune in Mondays at noon!

ProVeeZag
11-26-2018, 01:12 PM
Bad news as Geno looked like he was feeling more comfortable in the Duke game. This throws a wrench into that. Would welcome any details on the nature of Geno's wrist injury as it becomes known (sprain, bruise?).

Zagger
11-26-2018, 01:13 PM
Rats! Heal well Geno!

It’ll be good for a couple more Zags to be thrown into the fray. Especially tonight (at home) and some tough competition on the road. The more experienced the team is by March the better.

caldwellzag
11-26-2018, 01:17 PM
Not that you want any injuries, but it does not sound very serious. We could have used him against anyone, but I will take him in March/April over December any day of the week. Let's hope the injuries stop!!

Mr Vulture
11-26-2018, 02:15 PM
I think Foster can run the point for a 5-6 minutes a half. He is no scoring threat but he can distribute a little. Glad it's not a long term thing, at least it doesn't sound like it is.

23dpg
11-26-2018, 02:23 PM
Bummer! Other than March, the timing couldn’t have been worse. He needs these games and the team needs him.

Goshzagit
11-26-2018, 02:23 PM
His defense has been pretty stellar.

Foul trouble to Perkins more of an issue than before, not to mention more mins required.

Really need Foster to provide crucial ball handling minutes.

Let him play 20 or more mins tonight to prep for murderers row in December.

Big blow.

Crandall was just starting to look more comfortable too.

MDABE80
11-26-2018, 02:25 PM
It's an opportunity for Ayayi to see court time. Talented as anyone ...just needs experience. NDST is a 2-5 team. Not a huge challenge. We'll need Ayayi for the December jaggernaut. Foster too but Ayayi is the one kid that can do everything.

Snowkane
11-26-2018, 02:29 PM
Ayayi's time to shine. Expect to see him off the bench late in the first half and if the game plays out like he should, late in the second half.

zagdontzig
11-26-2018, 02:33 PM
Does anyone know if students will be on break for Chapel Hill?

MickMick
11-26-2018, 02:38 PM
Ayayi's time to shine. Expect to see him off the bench late in the first half and if the game plays out like he should, late in the second half.

Looking forward to watching him take advantage of his opportunity.

cggonzaga
11-26-2018, 02:39 PM
It's an opportunity for Ayayi to keep time. Talented as anyone ...just needs experience. NDST is a 2-5 team. Not a huge challenge. We'll need Ayayi for the December jaggernaut. Foster too but Ayayi is the one kid that can do everything.

I’m afraid you’re the only one that believes this. At least this year anyways.

CDC84
11-26-2018, 02:41 PM
As mentioned above, Creighton, UW, Tennessee and UNC are valuable games for GU's NCAA tourney resume. Today is November 26. Two weeks from today is December 10. Hopefully Crandall will heal early and the Zags will have him for the Tennessee game, and have him for the UNC game. It's a hand injury so he can keep up his conditioning.

But really, the most important part of this is getting Geno valuable experience against high level competition. He played his best game as a Zag against Duke, so I certainly had hopes that we would see a progression in his play from here.

The Zags will find a way to tough it out. Not the end of the world, but please no more injuries. Especially after the Tillie injury right before FSU game in the S-16 game last March, GU deserves a break.

Hoopaholic
11-26-2018, 02:43 PM
I think Foster can run the point for a 5-6 minutes a half. He is no scoring threat but he can distribute a little. Glad it's not a long term thing, at least it doesn't sound like it is.

yep

ZagsObserver
11-26-2018, 02:44 PM
I’m afraid you’re the only one that believes this. At least this year anyways.

Probably not the only one, but I’m with CG. Talent shown internationally has not transferred. The fact that Foster (who’s is both green and not a complete player anyways) is ahead of Ayayi should be evident of where things stand.

DixieZag
11-26-2018, 02:50 PM
Probably not the only one, but I’m with CG. Talent shown internationally has not transferred. The fact that Foster (who’s is both green and not a complete player anyways) is ahead of Ayayi should be evident of where things stand.

Well, we should sure see tonight where things stand, bc both young men will likely be asked to play real minutes. I hope one of them can perform adequately well to get Perk 2-3 minutes rest each half.

Robzagnut
11-26-2018, 03:16 PM
That's a shame. I was fully expecting Coach Few to loosen the reins on Crandall against ND St like he did when Dranginis scored 30 against Lewis-Clark St.

Worthington
11-26-2018, 03:18 PM
I really hope this is an opportunity for Ayayi. Very surprised that Few has gone to Foster before Ayayi in some of these early games. Ayayi has impressed me with his defensive activity and ability to make the right read on offense in the limited minutes that I've seen him play

ZagsObserver
11-26-2018, 03:37 PM
Well, we should sure see tonight where things stand, bc both young men will likely be asked to play real minutes. I hope one of them can perform adequately well to get Perk 2-3 minutes rest each half.

I certainly share your hope and well wishes. As you stated, we may see this play out in the next week or two. Tonight will be a training run with the true test coming this weekend.

tyra
11-26-2018, 03:52 PM
Would also like to know if it is his right or left hand if anyone knows,

VinnyZag
11-26-2018, 03:56 PM
SSF contributor Steven Karr says 4-6 weeks, but doesn't cite a source:

Steven Karr

@SKarrG0
Follow Follow @SKarrG0
More
Geno Crandall out 4-6 weeks. We’ll see if Joel Ayayi and Greg Foster can step up.

Robzagnut
11-26-2018, 03:56 PM
Let the standard be the standard (backup players taking lead roles).

VinnyZag
11-26-2018, 04:03 PM
And now Meehan says the same:

Jim Meehan@SRJimm
1 min ago
Gonzaga's Geno Crandall suffered a fracture in his right hand during Sunday's practice. Out 4-6 weeks. GU already without Killian Tillie (ankle) for about another month.

DixieZag
11-26-2018, 04:05 PM
SSF contributor Steven Karr says 4-6 weeks, but doesn't cite a source:

The way the schedule is structured, it is almost enough to say that it doesn't look like he'll be back for UNC, and thus he's on the Tillie time frame in terms of getting him peaking in March.

Not saying we take LMU, USD and such lightly, not at all. But, there's almost no point in trying to shave off 5 days in December if he cannot be there for the UNC game.

Can Kispert play PG in a real pinch?

...Rui?

ZagMan in Philly
11-26-2018, 04:07 PM
Does anyone know if students will be on break for Chapel Hill?

Get well soon Geno!!!!
UNC last day of Finals is Friday Dec 14th, game is on Dec 15th.

Mr Vulture
11-26-2018, 04:14 PM
At 4-6 weeks that means out rest of the OOC schedule and back with Tillie at the start of league play. Not optimal but good opportunity for one of Ayayi/Foster to step up. One potential silver lining is that it will get good experience for the younger guys that could pay off later in the year.

thespywhozaggedme
11-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Ayayi played exactly zero minutes at point guard this summer for France. He was a shooting guard and small forward.

Mr Vulture
11-26-2018, 04:33 PM
Ayayi played exactly zero minutes at point guard this summer for France. He was a shooting guard and small forward.

If you are responding to me, I would view Ayayi as an option to play at the 2 or 3 spots with Norvell playing some minutes at the PG spot to give Perk a break. If it's Foster that gets more minutes, which I would imagine would be the case of those two, he would be used at the PG position. They might just go with Norvell at the PG to rest Perkins, shift Kispert to the SG spot, and run with Jones on the wing as another option.

MileHigh
11-26-2018, 04:37 PM
Heres how Few can distribute the minutes till Geno and Tillie get back:

pg-- Josh 32 norvell 8
sg --Norvell 24 Kispert 10 Jones 6
sf --Kispert 15 Jones 20 Rui 5
PF --Rui 28 Clarke 7 Filip 5
C.--Carke 25 Filip 15

There it is.....Solved. :D

CDC84
11-26-2018, 04:41 PM
Why would Mark Few say a "couple of weeks" and then all of a sudden it becomes 4-6 weeks? I suppose they could have been looking at the MRI while Few was on the air.

https://twitter.com/SRJimm/status/1067206715332935680

42 days (6 weeks) from today is January 7. So worst case scenario GU gets Crandall back for the Pacific home game on January 10. That still gives him 17 games before the start of the NCAA tournament to get ready to be at his best.

28 days (4 weeks) is December 24. If he makes it back sooner, he will have a couple of pre-conference warm-ups against North Alabama and CSU-Bakersfield.

I feel awful for Geno. This is his final year of eligibility, and he's had to spend most of his career playing for bad or mediocre teams at North Dakota. He needs all the playing time he can. I suppose the only silver lining is that I would rather have him have some hand injury than some foot injury. At least Geno can keep his cardio up, although he will lose some of it because no treadmill can simulate playing in front 16,000 fans.

Mr Vulture
11-26-2018, 04:46 PM
I think you are pretty much along the lines of what we will see. I do think that we will see Foster play some though and I don't think Jones gets more than 20 minutes a game. It will adjust depending on the competition level. For tonight, I'd expect it like this (I am expecting a large margin game):

PG - Perkins (30), Foster (10)
SG - Norvell (30), Kispert (10)
SF - Kispert (20), Jones (20)
PF - Rui (30), Petrusev (10)
C - Clark (30), Petrusev (10)

gonzagafan62
11-26-2018, 05:05 PM
I think you are pretty much along the lines of what we will see. I do think that we will see Foster play some though and I don't think Jones gets more than 20 minutes a game. It will adjust depending on the competition level. For tonight, I'd expect it like this (I am expecting a large margin game):

PG - Perkins (30), Foster (10)
SG - Norvell (30), Kispert (10)
SF - Kispert (20), Jones (20)
PF - Rui (30), Petrusev (10)
C - Clark (30), Petrusev (10)

If I had a guess, Norvell probably doesn’t come off the court more than 2-3 mins unless he’s in foul trouble or it’s a blowout

ZagsObserver
11-26-2018, 05:11 PM

pg-- Josh 32 norvell 8
C.--Carke 25 Filip 15

Foster may get a few minutes, particularly if there is foul trouble, but I suspect you could see something like posted above. Josh and Zach may be closer to 34-35 minutes a game.

At the start of conference play (or in the cupcakes before conference) It wouldn’t surprise me to see Foster get more minutes, particularly as the margin of victory increases.

basketballzag
11-26-2018, 06:18 PM
Foster may get a few minutes, particularly if there is foul trouble, but I suspect you could see something like posted above. Josh and Zach may be closer to 34-35 minutes a game.

At the start of conference play (or in the cupcakes before conference) It wouldn’t surprise me to see Foster get more minutes, particularly as the margin of victory increases.

Crandall is averaging 18 minutes per game providing five points per game and has 14 assists. This is a lot of time that someone needs to be ready to step up for.

I suspect that the Coaching Staff will throw some playing time towards Jack Beach, Foster, Ayayi, and perhaps play Alex Martin a bit. If none of those work out they can play small ball with Paul Pennington who is a 5'10 160 pound Rem prototype.

DixieZag
11-26-2018, 06:44 PM
I wonder if we'll see that zone come out a few more times each half to decrease some of the foul pressure, and maybe require them to move their feet a little less.

I know it hurts rebounding and shot blocking. But, gotta pick your poison if you don't have a back-up PG.

So far, Foster played okay tonight.

raise the zag
11-26-2018, 06:55 PM
Ayayi is very talented, all the skills and attributes you could want, but learning the offense has been wayyy behind.

His defense and skill set is ready, his bball IQ leaves a lot to be desired.

He is more of an off guard anyway.

JPtheBeasta
11-26-2018, 07:00 PM
I feel bad for Crandall because he worked so hard to get here and was just seeming to get on track.

Interesting tidbit on Ayayi about having the tools but struggling with the offense. It’s reassuring, actually. Maybe he’ll get there next year, when it looms like we are really going to need some guard help.

Zagsker
11-26-2018, 07:24 PM
Somewhat OT...but Geno Crandall sounds like someone who sells...fine meats and cheeses. Crandall "Meats and Cheeses"...yup

amaronizag
11-26-2018, 08:40 PM
Crandell had his right arm in a sling tonight. He should be back for the Santa Clara game 1/5 or the Pacific game 1/10. For sure he misses the next four games, all BIG games, and should be back about the same time as Tillie. Really feel for the kid after all he went though to get here.

JokerZag
11-26-2018, 09:06 PM
Get well Geno. I guess we go 7 deep. Norvell, Kispert, Jones, even Rui can dribble up half the court. The offense is more flex/motion not pick and roll. I’m not worried.

Ekrub
11-26-2018, 09:11 PM

pg-- Josh 32 norvell 8
C.--Carke 25 Filip 15

Josh 40.

Sorry Josh.

raise the zag
11-26-2018, 09:12 PM
Crandell had his right arm in a sling tonight. He should be back for the Santa Clara game 1/5 or the Pacific game 1/10. For sure he misses the next four games, all BIG games, and should be back about the same time as Tillie. Really feel for the kid after all he went though to get here.

Curious why a sling vs brace/split/cast for a hand fx?

also shoulder or elbow sprain perhaps?

Sling didn't make much sense unless other injury is involved to some extent, which is possible if he landed awkwardly.

sittingon50
11-26-2018, 11:32 PM
Best wishes, Geno.

amaronizag
11-26-2018, 11:41 PM
Raise the Zag, Geno may have had a brace/splint/cast, the forearm seemed rigid, but I couldn't tell what was under the sling.

JPtheBeasta
11-27-2018, 06:43 AM
The sling might be purely a comfort thing. If it’s throbbing a little gravity helps.

caldwellzag
11-27-2018, 06:46 AM
It was definitely a bad sign to see the sling last night, but I have to think it was for comfort. Hearing the 4-6 weeks verse a few weeks really hurts too. We need him to get a feel for our systems!

zagamatic
11-27-2018, 10:36 AM
I understand that seeing him in a sling was a little unnerving, but as has been suggested, it could be something as simple as a comfort level thing or even that someone wrote something "inappropriate for tv" (pure speculation, example) on his cast and was hiding it. And yeah, it sucks to be down 2 major contributors on this team. But some people on here have been clamoring for a switch to a better league. Well, we're in the middle of what would be a normal, every year stretch in a better league. So let's see how well we can do because it's not like injuries wouldn't happen if we were to switch league's.

Zagceo
11-27-2018, 03:44 PM
“He’s been so amazing through everything,” said assistant coach Brian Michaelson. “He put in so much work (to finish school at UND) at get here, and from the day he got here he’s been so selfless. The leadership and confidence he brings to this team hasn’t been seen from the outside maybe like our staff has seen it.”Noted Few, “When he got here, our practices picked up. Our competitiveness within the team picked up.”
Monday’s romp allowed extra court time for freshmen Greg Foster Jr. and Joel Ayayi, and maybe circumstances will dictate more force-feeding. But chances are, it’s the roles of backup bigs Filip Petrusev and Jeremy Jones that will increase – as well as the workload on GU’s starters.
“It’s just life,” said Crandall. “Ups and downs. The good thing is, it just keeps going. We’ll be pushing to get healthy – and keep winning games in the meantime.”
Because the party’s still on.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/26/john-blanchette-gonzaga-dealt-another-tough-blow-a/

https://media.spokesman.com/photos/2018/11/26/SRX_GU_VS_NDS_16_t1140.jpg?abf36d44fcda22a1f704116 2086f31df6a374511

White lightning
12-01-2018, 02:38 PM
They mentioned that Crandall did not require surgery and may start practicing in a week or so. Did I hear this correctly?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Section 116
12-01-2018, 02:42 PM
White Lightning, I heard something similar, wish I had been paying closer attention. For sure it did not require surgery according to the announcer and consequently will be back sooner, rather than later.

sittingon50
12-01-2018, 03:32 PM
:pray: