PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lake City or San Jose?

Waiting for Bell
11-26-2018, 08:51 AM
Not trying to jinx anything, but for once trying to be proactive and book tickets to watch some tournament games. Would love to guess correctly where the Zags would end up for the opening rounds. Assuming the Zags would get a favorable seed for the NCAA tournament where would they get placed? I'm assuming San Jose but just want to confirm with more knowledgable peeps. Sorry, if this belongs in the ticket section.

DixieZag
11-26-2018, 09:03 AM
Not trying to jinx anything, but for once trying to be proactive and book tickets to watch some tournament games. Would love to guess correctly where the Zags would end up for the opening rounds. Assuming the Zags would get a favorable seed for the NCAA tournament where would they get placed? I'm assuming San Jose but just want to confirm with more knowledgable peeps. Sorry, if this belongs in the ticket section.

Don't apologize, nothing done wrong, post more on any topic.

It seems to me, informally eyeballing it, that we've more often been placed in Salt Lake City than on the pacific coast, because they are closer to SLC, if only by a little.

The pods and protected seeds have complicated matters in determining which seeds will go where, so I think it's just fine for you to ask up front and early in the year. Realistically, though, it seems like you'll be having to make the best guess of 2 spots (at least) right up until the last week. No one outside that committee can guarantee you better.

CDC84
11-26-2018, 09:27 AM
I would bet that the subregional will be in Salt Lake City if GU gets a 3 seed or better, but if it becomes obvious that Gonzaga is going to be a #1 seed, I expect to see Gonzaga reach out to the NCAA tourney committee and ask to be placed in San Jose. First of all, this was supposed to be the year where Gonzaga got to play in Seattle, but renovations to the arena robbed them of that. SJ is only 187 miles further away from Spokane than SLC. Back in 2017, it was well known that Few preferred playing in Sacramento as opposed to SLC because of how the crowd completely turned their backs against GU in 2013 when GU was a #1 seed. I don't know if the request will do anything, but it wouldn't help. SJ has a lot of good memories for GU. They went from SJ to their first final 4. It is near the WCC headquarters, etc. It is really where they belong, even if it's 187 more miles of air travel.

willandi
11-26-2018, 09:32 AM

Buy for both and sell the unwanted at a profit later.

BayAreaZagFan
11-26-2018, 12:49 PM
Buy for both and sell the unwanted at a profit later.

I tried that one year (ironically in San Jose) - it doesn't work out that well for the opening round games, and I would recommend against it, unless you're absolutely sure you can re-sell them.

I'm hoping they play in San Jose, and not just because it's in my neck of the woods. I like the point about this being a better location than SLC, support-wise, and also the point about this being WCC country. There are a lot of GU fans/alumni in the area (not sure how many compared to SLC, though). Also, there's the SJSU connection. But yeah, mostly because it's in my neck of the woods.

webspinnre
11-26-2018, 01:10 PM
Huge group of Zags in the Bay Area. Here's hoping!

Snowkane
11-26-2018, 02:37 PM
Des Moines! #1 Seed!

#wishfulthinking

gueastcoast
11-26-2018, 02:55 PM
Lot of good memories from the SJ West Regional....and great fan/alum turnout...I'd happily take that!