• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soonerterp
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

Raivio's Chances In the NBA?

Glancing at the mocks at nbadraft.net and draftexpress.com, Raivio's name does not turn up.

ALTHOUGH plenty could happen between now and June. Not like he'd be a lottery pick or anything, but I'm actually not all that convinced that Durant will actually come out of Texas or Oden will come out of Ohio State. If they decide to stay in school (and you can throw Joakim Noah in that equation too), to me that would create a domino effect throughout the draft board that perhaps could open up opportunities for upperclassmen like Raivio who do have some skills but perhaps not benefiting from the massive hype that other players get.

So what are the chances for Raivio in the NBA, if any? In his favor, the guy can score, he's pretty fearless going into the lane among guys bigger than him. But to his detriment, his D isn't always perfect and while I don't think it should be an issue since there are guys in the league smaller than him, size might be a knock to some GMs.

Fire away.
  • roxdoc
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

With all due respect to DR: slim to none

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
      Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
      • Feb 2007

....I love Drav...but his chances are even smaller than "slim to none"
      Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• cair3
        Kennel Club Material
        • Feb 2007

i could see a team giving him workouts but not drafting him, he can shoot freethrows well enough that a team could use him just to ice games.

Comment

• FuManShoes
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Let's put it this way: Raivio's chances of getting drafted are less than those of Durant and Oden staying in school. There is no way those two are foregoing the draft. They're guaranteed top picks. On D-rav, I think he'll have a shot at Euro ball, but he doesn't have an NBA game.
          “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• ZagNut08
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

to quote the greatest sports announcer ever: "slim to none and slim just left town"

He has a good shot at europe though

Comment

• pdxzagfan
              Bulldog Fan
              • Feb 2007

Would love to see him in the NBA, but realistically, he will probably go to Europe to continue playing ball. I'm really going to miss watching him play in a Zags uniform, though.

Comment

• lothar98zag
                PostPadder General
                • Feb 2007

He may get a shot at an NBA training camp or summer league only to be cut at some point before the regular season (like many past Zags). Most likely he'll end up somewhere in Europe.

I can see him doing really well overseas.
                youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• CDC84
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Re:

Zilch. He will make tons of bread overseas - just like JP. Better get that passport ready....

Comment

• D Hark 2003
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Feb 2007

Derek has no chance after this year to make it, but I would say in three to five years if he plays overseas and adds some weight to become stronger and a better defender then he definitely has a chance. He looks like he needs a couple more years to grow stronger, but he definitely has the shooting skills and handles, he just needs the NBA body.
                    GO ZAGS

Comment

• NorthoftheBorder
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Feb 2007

Heytvelt in the NBA ?

Josh's name no longer appears on the projected draft boards for 2007 or 2008 on NBAdraft.net

I wonder if that means they think he won't enter the draft until 2009. I can't believe they don't think he will get drafted now just because of the incident.
                      There's a lot of current NBA players who have done a lot worse.

Comment

• tom o dachi
                        Redshirt
                        • Feb 2007

At this point, no Zag player will be drafted this year. Morrison was clearly the best player in the country last year and he wasn't even the first pick. Batista dominated on the post and he wasn't drafted. Ronny went in the second round. Stepp was the last player taken in the draft his year. The accomplishments of these players dwarf those of the current players on this years team. You can't just be good to be drafted, you have to be amazing.

Comment

• ExtremeJim
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by NorthoftheBorder View Post
                          I can't believe they don't think he will get drafted now just because of the incident.
                          The reality of Josh's situation is that if he is charged with felony possession this week, he could be in the middle of a criminal trial on draft day, which is in late June. And if he is convicted of felony possession, he might be serving time in a state correctional facility when the NBA season you can't believe he won't be drafted for is supposed to commence.

Although he hasn't been charged as of tonight, I have no trouble understanding why he would have been dropped from the mock draft lists. If the prosecutor declines to charge, or charges a misdemeanor, I would expect his name to start creeping back into the mocks, but not even the NBA is going to draft anyone out of Walla Walla. Herman "The Helicopter" Knowings never got drafted, and they had 12 rounds of NBA draft back in the day he was in Attica.

Comment

• NorthoftheBorder
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Feb 2007

Good post ExtremeJim.

It makes you wonder how many millions Josh might have thrown away because of his "mistake in judgment".

Comment

• ExtremeJim
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Feb 2007

I recall with gratitude of all the wonderful memories Josh has provided us as fans, and hope he will both experience mercy from the civil authorities as well as find a suitable place to continue his basketball career, whether at another school or professionally.

Clearly, he can't return to the Gonzaga team (short of some sort of Perry Mason-like miracle ending) because of the kind of men the coaches are. I can't really see Few or Grier facing their children as adolescents when they start asking, "But, if drugs are so bad, then why did you reinstate Heytvelt back in '07," can you?

Comment

Working...
                              X