PDA

View Full Version : GU delivers the blueprint for beating Duke

Section 116
11-24-2018, 07:31 PM
I found this interesting. Published in something called the "Sports Quotient" which I stumbled across while surfing for Gonzaga news. Not anything really new here but it's a nice read:

http://thesportsquotient.com/ncaa-bb/2018/11/24/gonzaga-delivers-the-blueprint-for-beating-the-blue-devils

JPtheBeasta
11-24-2018, 07:51 PM
The formula:
Lose one of your best players for 8 weeks to an injury
Play two tight ballgames the previous two nights in a row and get extra tired
Lose the free throw battle by double digits for 99% of the game
Shoot 59% from the free throw line
Miss your last 4 free throws that would have iced it

If GU hadn't won this game I would still be in mourning. Everyone is saying that we haven't seen the best of Duke, but we haven't seen the best of the Zags, either. It's pretty awesome that this team was able to knock off such a marquee opponent and hasn't come close to its ceiling.

MickMick
11-24-2018, 08:05 PM
Why did Duke lose?

Because Gonzaga is the better team. Duke was damn lucky to get the score close.

ZagNative
11-24-2018, 08:18 PM
Wow. That is a good article. Thanks for posting it.

Zagceo
11-24-2018, 08:55 PM
good video clips also

bookmarked it...thanks

MDABE80
11-24-2018, 09:39 PM
Wow. That is a good article. Thanks for posting it.

I’ll say! From a grandmaster of Chess no less. It’s how he looks at things in all facets!

kdaleb
11-24-2018, 10:59 PM
If GU hadn't won this game I would still be in mourning. Everyone is saying that we haven't seen the best of Duke, but we haven't seen the best of the Zags, either. It's pretty awesome that this team was able to knock off such a marquee opponent and hasn't come close to its ceiling.

This.

Duke will be amazing when they put it all together. So will we. Can’t wait for an April rematch.

Zags11
11-24-2018, 11:27 PM
You gotta have the players and coach to beat them.

Birddog
11-25-2018, 08:21 AM
That was really a good piece, thanks for linking.

DixieZag
11-25-2018, 08:44 AM
Well written analysis.

They specifically note that while many could attempt to do the same, not many have the bigs that the Zags do.

Acknowledging that the Zags are one of maybe 4 teams in the country even able to do what they did is a step.

jazzdelmar
11-25-2018, 09:07 AM
Brilliant piece. Add this, Bilas said Zags best D was their O. When the O stalled Dook came on.

Birddog
11-25-2018, 09:33 AM
Brilliant piece. Add this, Bilas said Zags best D was their O. When the O stalled Dook came on.

True dat.

bballbeachbum
11-25-2018, 09:33 AM
Awesome piece, awesome, my favorite kind

one bone: on Bolden, K used him to protect the paint against the dribble they were forcing vs. all other Zag players on the perimeter (except JJ, also dared to shoot), gambling Rui and BC couldn't hit the 3 imo. the difference is they made those early looks and shook things up; Brandon misses and everyone's maybe saying bad shot ;)
But doesn't look like Bolden lost his man because he's culpable for defensive stupidity or getting lost defensively to me. Since Rui and BC have never proven they're a threat from out there before, makes sense to dare them from deep while positioning to defend them from their strengths with Bolden's, especially on the BC make it's clear imo.
It just didn't work. I tag K with that decision and the Zags mentioned for stepping up to make him pay for it, not defensive lapses by Bolden; he executed what K wanted and maybe K adjusts now if there's a next time.

bballbeachbum
11-25-2018, 09:34 AM

yet it was the D that won the game down the stretch interestingly! gotta love the balance there

23dpg
11-25-2018, 10:05 AM
The defense suffered when Clarke picked up his 4th foul with 10 minutes left. When he went out of the game is when Duke made their run. Probably not a coincidence.

RenoZag
11-25-2018, 10:53 AM
I’ll say! From a grandmaster of Chess no less. It’s how he looks at things in all facets!

The author of the article is a 22 year old Vanderbilt undergrad who hails from New York.

JPtheBeasta
11-25-2018, 11:04 AM

I think fatigue might have factored in there, on D and O.

JPtheBeasta
11-25-2018, 11:08 AM
Well written analysis.

They specifically note that while many could attempt to do the same, not many have the bigs that the Zags do.

Acknowledging that the Zags are one of maybe 4 teams in the country even able to do what they did is a step.

There are many teams with athletes to match (within reason) or the big men who can stretch the floor. The Zags have a nice combo of both. Mix in experience and the coaching of Few and Co and that’s a pretty good recipe. It was enlightening to read in another thread that Illinios Coach was so impressed with the complexity of the offense. I have to think that there is a ton of stuff that goes into their team defense as well.

Zagceo
11-25-2018, 01:20 PM
Missing from media reporting I've read.......Duke halftime adjustment....admitting they could NOT guard Rui 1 on 1..they double on first play after half and Rui passed to wide open Clarke.

Rui was doubled again and blasted threw it for and 1...another time dribbled away from it.

MontanaCoyote
11-25-2018, 02:38 PM
The author of the article is a 22 year old Vanderbilt undergrad who hails from New York.

Right now I can’t remember a better write up of the Zag’s outside our own homer’s. Didn’t miss a thing, including not having Tillie and Duke’s run at the feet of Clarke’s 4th. Man, if Tillie returns in WCC form and Clarke can limit his fouls,
especially early, I really do think the sky’s the limit.

I even think we’ll be strong enough inside, with Till’s return and “Petrol’s” development. May need to play more Melson like
D on occasion........some of them Kentucky and Tennessee guards throw up 3’s like it was nothin’.

maynard g krebs
11-25-2018, 04:03 PM
Sorry, but he lost me early when he referred to Rui and Clarke as "capable 3 point shooters" or some such.