PDA

View Full Version : 2019/2020 - Zach Harvey Offer Extended

thespywhozaggedme
11-23-2018, 08:35 AM
Hadn't seen this posted anywhere else. Possible Snacks replacement.

Gonzaga
Warm
3 SG, 1 Commits
Visit:Oct 31

https://247sports.com/Player/Zach-Harvey-85722/

caldwellzag
11-23-2018, 08:37 AM
Hadn't seen this posted anywhere else. Possible Snacks replacement.

Gonzaga
Warm
3 SG, 1 Commits
Visit:Oct 31

https://247sports.com/Player/Zach-Harvey-85722/

He did not end up making that visit, but we are really high on him and we would like to see him reclassify to 2019.

thespywhozaggedme
11-23-2018, 08:38 AM
He did not end up making that visit, but we are really high on him and we would like to see him reclassify to 2019.

I'm an idiot, didn't realize when I posted that that the date was last month. Doh!

caldwellzag
11-23-2018, 01:30 PM
I'm an idiot, didn't realize when I posted that that the date was last month. Doh!

Lol. Yeah not sure what happened, but he is a real option for us still and we would love to get him in 2019 if possible.

BobZag
11-24-2018, 05:50 PM
If we want him, we need to get him on campus. A bit foreboding.

caldwellzag
12-04-2018, 07:33 AM
Good read. We look like the front runner from what I am reading.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Four-high-major-schools-prioritizing-four-star-guard-Zach-Harvey-125864433/

thespywhozaggedme
12-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Good read. We look like the front runner from what I am reading.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Four-high-major-schools-prioritizing-four-star-guard-Zach-Harvey-125864433/

His reel is very impressive. So he explicitly said that we are recruiting him for 2019 and if I have done my math correctly as far as we know for sure Josh, Geno, Jeremy, Killian and Rui are all leaving after this year. Those scholarships have been filled by Drew, Anton, Brock, Pavel and Arlauskas. So… If we are for sure recruiting Harvey for 2019 that tells me that the staff is aware that at least one more player is leaving.

caldwellzag
12-04-2018, 10:19 AM
His reel is very impressive. So he explicitly said that we are recruiting him for 2019 and if I have done my math correctly as far as we know for sure Josh, Geno, Jeremy, Killian and Rui are all leaving after this year. Those scholarships have been filled by Drew, Anton, Brock, Pavel and Arlauskas. So… If we are for sure recruiting Harvey for 2019 that tells me that the staff is aware that at least one more player is leaving.

We also have the Larson scholarship open next year.

BobZag
12-04-2018, 10:27 AM

Ta-da!

That said, GU will honor that scholie to Larson till he graduates.

Zach would be a nice addition in either 2020 or 2019, but Zags are kinda desperate for 2019'ers.

caldwellzag
12-04-2018, 10:44 AM
Ta-da!

That said, GU will honor that scholie to Larson till he graduates.

Zach would be a nice addition in either 2020 or 2019, but Zags are kinda desperate for 2019'ers.

But will they change that to a scholastic scholarship or will it stay athletic?

BobZag
12-04-2018, 11:01 AM
But will they change that to a scholastic scholarship or will it stay athletic?

This has happened before but I can't recall just how it went. Angelo Roncalli might know.

thespywhozaggedme
12-04-2018, 11:29 AM

Ah...good point. Still think ZN and BC leave after this year if we have the run that we all think we're gonna have.

bdmiller7
12-04-2018, 12:04 PM

The Zags only have 11 scholarship players this year of the 13 you can use. Jones, Perkins, and Crandall are seniors. That's 5 for the 5 2019 recruits so far without anyone leaving early. If Rui, Tillie, Clarke, or Norvell leave early they would open up another scholarship. Could have 9 available for 2019.

caldwellzag
12-05-2018, 07:05 PM
I know I have said this numerous times, but the Zags really want Harvey and they want him to join the 2019 class. Expect a rescheduled visit here very soon. My prediction at this point is he will be a part of our 2019 class, just some logistics to work out.

OntZags
12-05-2018, 08:28 PM
The Zags only have 11 scholarship players this year of the 13 you can use. Jones, Perkins, and Crandall are seniors. That's 5 for the 5 2019 recruits so far without anyone leaving early. If Rui, Tillie, Clarke, or Norvell leave early they would open up another scholarship. Could have 9 available for 2019.

Not quite because of Larsen. He is still taking a scholarship this season and based on Few's remarks, it is not a foregone conclusion that he will never be back.

But yeah the 5 incoming guys to date are only replacing open schollies plus guaranteed gone schollies. (Rui is 100% gone.)

There may be another scholarship opening depending on what happens with Larsen and it's almost certain at least 1 more of Tillie/Clarke/Norvell are gone. (if the recent SI mock draft is any indicator, all will be gone) It's gonna be a crazy year for turnover.

bdmiller7
12-05-2018, 08:59 PM
There is a chance we only return Kispert, Foster, Ayayi, and Petrusev next year with Kispert being the only upperclassman. I would love to have Larsen back. I also could definitely see bringing in 1 or 2 grad transfers to add experience to the 2019 class and help get through to another big 2020 class.

thespywhozaggedme
01-16-2019, 02:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqQ5-eiLfw4

His latest reel. Very impressive!

BobZag
01-16-2019, 05:56 PM
247's lead recruiting guy, Jerry Meyer, has GU favored for Harvey. Crystal Ball.

thespywhozaggedme
01-16-2019, 06:27 PM
247's lead recruiting guy, Jerry Meyer, has GU favored for Harvey. Crystal Ball.

Really? Is that a new prediction? He's a flat out stud!

doctorzag
01-16-2019, 08:22 PM

You sure ? Jerry Meyer just predicted us for Strawther today. Do not see anything for Harvey.

basketballzag
01-16-2019, 10:12 PM
Jerry Meyer is predicting Julian Strawther to Gonzaga. He visited Florida State last weekend and now Meyer is projecting him to Gonzaga--that's a good sign.

No one has given a prediction for Zach Harvey since Sept of 2018 so no JM did not project him to Gonzaga.

caldwellzag
01-17-2019, 07:07 AM
Jerry Meyer is predicting Julian Strawther to Gonzaga. He visited Florida State last weekend and now Meyer is projecting him to Gonzaga--that's a good sign.

No one has given a prediction for Zach Harvey since Sept of 2018 so no JM did not project him to Gonzaga.

We are in a great spot for Harvey in the 2019 class. What makes Harvey tough to follow if you look at 247 is they have him as 2020, so no one is really putting in CB's for him as it is unknown what he will do. I will tell you (and no I am no Jerry Meyer) expect our 2019 class to add 2 more players in Ballo and Harvey.

BobZag
01-17-2019, 11:27 AM
You sure ? Jerry Meyer just predicted us for Strawther today. Do not see anything for Harvey.

Pretty sure I meant Strawther and my meds wrote Harvey. :explode:

hooter73
01-17-2019, 11:46 AM
We are in a great spot for Harvey in the 2019 class. What makes Harvey tough to follow if you look at 247 is they have him as 2020, so no one is really putting in CB's for him as it is unknown what he will do. I will tell you (and no I am no Jerry Meyer) expect our 2019 class to add 2 more players in Ballo and Harvey.

I mean, he's no Melo Ball, but... :lmao:

He would be a great get for us.

BobZag
01-21-2019, 03:46 PM
Jake

Verified account

@jakeweingarten
16m16 minutes ago
More
2020 five-star Zach Harvey has announced he will be out 6-8 weeks with an ankle sprain. Prolific beat Spire without him today.

Could probably take visits in that time.

sittingon50
01-21-2019, 09:28 PM
I mean, he's no Melo Ball, but... :lmao:

Hey BigDawg, you back?

HenneZag
01-24-2019, 12:55 PM
What are the chances of landing this guy? Seemed like Kansas was the sure fire pick...

thespywhozaggedme
01-24-2019, 12:58 PM
What are the chances of landing this guy? Seemed like Kansas was the sure fire pick...

I think that prediction is almost a year old

cggonzaga
01-24-2019, 03:35 PM

According to caldwell, pretty good. Just not sure which year yet.

HenneZag
01-24-2019, 03:55 PM
According to caldwell, pretty good. Just not sure which year yet.

Exciting to think of possibilities...

Ebay
01-24-2019, 04:31 PM

Zach Harvey visited Xavier today(not sure if it's more than a one day visit). But, as the tweet BobZag linked, it's an ideal time for visits to happen with him sidelined by injury. I'm trying to not read into his visit too much because of that, but who knows.

caldwellzag
01-25-2019, 10:14 AM

Old prediction, Kansas is not in the picture at all anymore. Harvey wants to visit GU bad and he wants to commit, so we are the favorites, but there are some issues that are still being worked out. Xavier visit this weekend, I would say they are our biggest threat to land him.

HenneZag
01-25-2019, 11:51 AM
Old prediction, Kansas is not in the picture at all anymore. Harvey wants to visit GU bad and he wants to commit, so we are the favorites, but there are some issues that are still being worked out. Xavier visit this weekend, I would say they are our biggest threat to land him.
I know there was personal issues, just didnt know extent. Well he seems like a talent, hopefully we can snag him.

webspinnre
01-28-2019, 10:10 PM
For anyone in the Bay Area who's interested in seeing Harvey play (his team doesn't play many local games), there's a game up my way coming up:

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49948528_2173427762713492_3285251988295516160_n.jp g?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=cd483b0ada88fd3c50c50b6a1d3fd88d&oe=5CEEB223

caldwellzag
01-29-2019, 07:47 AM
The Harvey recruitment has been one of the most up and down recruitment's I have seen in a long time. Earlier this month it looked like almost a sure thing he was coming to GU, now it seems like things have cooled way off and the administration has stepped in here. On a basketball only level he would be at GU, but this recruitment is bigger than that and Harvey may not be as prime of a candidate to take over the PG position next year as it looked earlier this month.

willandi
01-29-2019, 07:55 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/four-high-major-schools-prioritizing-four-star-guard-zach-harvey/

caldwellzag
01-29-2019, 08:46 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/four-high-major-schools-prioritizing-four-star-guard-zach-harvey/

Yeah this sums up the up and down nature of his recruitment, as that was less than 2 months ago. He visited Xavier last weekend and he didn't even mention them in the article.

Gonzagit
01-29-2019, 10:00 AM
The Harvey recruitment has been one of the most up and down recruitment's I have seen in a long time. Earlier this month it looked like almost a sure thing he was coming to GU, now it seems like things have cooled way off and the administration has stepped in here. On a basketball only level he would be at GU, but this recruitment is bigger than that and Harvey may not be as prime of a candidate to take over the PG position next year as it looked earlier this month.

Can you give a high level of the issues here?

BobZag
01-29-2019, 10:04 AM
It kinda feels like Strawther, Suggs and Harris are the main focus for 2020. I'd take that trio in a nanosecond.

caldwellzag
01-29-2019, 12:44 PM
Can you give a high level of the issues here?

It all surrounds this.

https://www.cjonline.com/news/20180405/hayden-basketball-standout-zach-harvey-facing-2-felony-sex-crime-charges

caldwellzag
01-29-2019, 12:44 PM
It kinda feels like Strawther, Suggs and Harris are the main focus for 2020. I'd take that trio in a nanosecond.

Those are our top targets for sure and we are in a great spot with Strawther and Suggs right now. Pair them with the 2019 class and number 1 per season will be a legit conversation.

ZagsObserver
01-29-2019, 03:04 PM
It all surrounds this.

https://www.cjonline.com/news/20180405/hayden-basketball-standout-zach-harvey-facing-2-felony-sex-crime-charges

Legally, those charges were settled with misdemeanor findings and pleas.

caldwellzag
01-30-2019, 07:50 AM
Legally, those charges were settled with misdemeanor findings and pleas.

You are 100% correct. It is the perception. Coaching staff was fine with Harvey, it goes higher than that.

former1dog
01-31-2019, 07:38 AM
You are 100% correct. It is the perception. Coaching staff was fine with Harvey, it goes higher than that.

Not knowing the inner workings of all of this, I'll hold judgement. If it is true that the coaches were willing to overlook this situation with Harvey and the GU administration had to step in with a higher standard, I would be very disappointed with the coaching staff.

I said on this exact topic in the past that I like that Gonzaga gives second chances to student athletes. It was encouraging to me that although Pargo was initially an academic non qualifier, that Gonzaga stuck with him until he did get qualified and he ended up a graduate!

I was with Mark Few in wanting Josh Heytvelt off the team when he was arrested in possession of drugs. Like Mark Few, though, I was convinced that Josh deserved and got a second chance by the Gonzaga Administration and I think that was ultimately a success story.

An offense where another young person is victimized by a potential student athlete is one where if the offender is truly sorry for their crime, I can forgive. I happen to be Catholic and that is what my religion teaches me. Forgiveness, though, doesn't mean they still are eligible for a scholarship and I would pass on any athlete in this situation.

caldwellzag
01-31-2019, 08:10 AM
Not knowing the inner workings of all of this, I'll hold judgement. If it is true that the coaches were willing to overlook this situation with Harvey and the GU administration had to step in with a higher standard, I would be very disappointed with the coaching staff.

I said on this exact topic in the past that I like that Gonzaga gives second chances to student athletes. It was encouraging to me that although Pargo was initially an academic non qualifier, that Gonzaga stuck with him until he did get qualified and he ended up a graduate!

I was with Mark Few in wanting Josh Heytvelt off the team when he was arrested in possession of drugs. Like Mark Few, though, I was convinced that Josh deserved and got a second chance by the Gonzaga Administration and I think that was ultimately a success story.

An offense where another young person is victimized by a potential student athlete is one where if the offender is truly sorry for their crime, I can forgive. I happen to be Catholic and that is what my religion teaches me. Forgiveness, though, doesn't mean they still are eligible for a scholarship and I would pass on any athlete in this situation.

Please do not hold judgement on the coaching staff. From everything I have gathered this is a lot bigger issue and one they are still working through, but looks like the Harvey boat might have sailed. Remember you only know parts of the story and I would hate for people to judge anyone involved without knowing the whole story. Harvey is a good kid who made a mistake, the staff knows him very well, the administration does not have the same relationship with him, so they do not know all the details. Do not hold this against the staff, trust me they did their due diligence in the recruitment process.

former1dog
01-31-2019, 08:18 AM
Please do not hold judgement on the coaching staff. From everything I have gathered this is a lot bigger issue and one they are still working through, but looks like the Harvey boat might have sailed. Remember you only know parts of the story and I would hate for people to judge anyone involved without knowing the whole story. Harvey is a good kid who made a mistake, the staff knows him very well, the administration does not have the same relationship with him, so they do not know all the details. Do not hold this against the staff, trust me they did their due diligence in the recruitment process.

I'm a long time fan, Caldwellzag. Marcy (Laca) Few and I were classmates at Gonzaga. So, my first instinct is to typical trust the coaching staff on most matters.

You're right that I know very little about the inner workings of what has been going on and I will not judge based on the fact that I don't know all the information.

Thank you for your efforts in this forum as the moderator and your support of the staff on this matter.

Hope things are going well for you.

caldwellzag
01-31-2019, 08:28 AM
I'm a long time fan, Caldwellzag. Marcy (Laca) Few and I were classmates at Gonzaga. So, my first instinct is to typical trust the coaching staff on most matters.

You're right that I know very little about the inner workings of what has been going on and I will not judge based on the fact that I don't know all the information.

Thank you for your efforts in this forum as the moderator and your support of the staff on this matter.

Hope things are going well for you.

Thanks! The beauty of GU is how great of a place it is and how great of people who work there. We are all fans and we only know a small part of the inner workings of the school and program!